PDA

View Full Version : Offense lacks creativity

bigblue999
10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Killdrive is notorious for both assessing talent and creativity. If it wasn't for injuries Cruz would be on the practice squad. This guys isn't cut for the job...not once was jernigan in the game to set up a potential short yardage pass attack that would have completely changed the structure of the linebacking CB corp. It would have assisted in the run game. Killdrive is not an elite OC, the talent he has backing him up has gotten him thus far.

AND ... is it me or did OSI just commit highway robbery and rob the giants .. this dude is not the same, he's slow, a coward to say the least in never ever attempting a bull rush...he is a major liability on the field...why not play some of the younger guys like tracy and Ojomo - clearly both are far superior to OSI.

Can't believe Resse fell for this guys gimmicks!!

CowboysSuck
10-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Osi is dead to me. Im being dead serious. The guy belongs on the Jets, or worse, the Raiders or Cowboys.

Diamondring
10-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't know. I use to be a KG hater but as time pass, some other posters got to me. If you look at the other OCs, there are some of the best who had troubles once in a while and some of those even lost jobs cause of lack performance by their players. Yet KG's offense has been in the top ten for years and still has been with the team. Now he could maybe do better but then again, you have to work with the basics. If the basics don't work, then it can be dangerous to be creative. Another reason why it can be hard is cause we still keep gettint these injuries. A lot of times it does take time to learn things.

Yet I still make my case that we should throw screens here and there and so on more but our offense is still productive.

joemorrisforprez
10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Gilbride sucks against the Eagles. I don't know the reason why he insists on tailoring his gameplan to go after the strength of the Philly defense. But he does. And then the Giants lose.

But against other teams, he's okay.

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I think this offense is exciting and to me that means it is fine....I love the big plays, the only thing that needs to happen is Bradshaw has to step up and start running effectively again...

Diamondring
10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I never fall for Osi's gimicks cause I know what type of player he is. He is more of a finess player and that does not work well with DE's cause he uses moves that can take himself out of players like he did against the Egals. Yet we also have to look at the simple fact that we hardly get any blitzes. Spags don't have the talent where he is at now and our team suites his style of plays. When he went away, the blitzes were not that good.

yoeddy
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Gilbride sucks against the Eagles. I don't know the reason why he insists on tailoring his gameplan to go after the strength of the Philly defense. But he does. And then the Giants lose.

But against other teams, he's okay.

Maybe he takes the approach of "let's do what we do and make the defense adjust to us (and not the other way around)"?

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Killdrive is notorious for both assessing talent and creativity. If it wasn't for injuries Cruz would be on the practice squad. This guys isn't cut for the job...not once was jernigan in the game to set up a potential short yardage pass attack that would have completely changed the structure of the linebacking CB corp. It would have assisted in the run game. Killdrive is not an elite OC, the talent he has backing him up has gotten him thus far.

AND ... is it me or did OSI just commit highway robbery and rob the giants .. this dude is not the same, he's slow, a coward to say the least in never ever attempting a bull rush...he is a major liability on the field...why not play some of the younger guys like tracy and Ojomo - clearly both are far superior to OSI.

When was Cruz on the practice squad?

jakegibbs
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I think this offense is exciting and to me that means it is fine....I love the big plays, the only thing that needs to happen is Bradshaw has to step up and start running effectively again...

+1 I thought that 4 & 1 pass to Cruz was genious gone to seed. I thought Cruz was faster than he showed on that play. It had TD written all over it but he got caught from behind on the 10 & then the next play INTERCEPTION... GAME OVER.

BeatYale
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Was it really that bad? We put up 17 points on a tough defense, it could have easily been 20 or 24 points had we not made the costly turnover in the redzone. Against better teams you can't make critical mistakes like that and not expect it to haunt you later in the game.

Running well is all about toughness and attitude up front.

BeatYale
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
When was Cruz on the practice squad?

Never.

BeatYale
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
If it wasn't for injuries Cruz would be on the practice squad.

That's not true at all. He would have never cleared waivers, someone would have picked him up. Back in 2010 the decision was made by the staff to not waive him, so clearly they had a good feeling about him.

nycisgreat
10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Osi is dead to me. Im being dead serious. The guy belongs on the Jets, or worse, the Raiders or Cowboys.

Osi is getting a lot of unfair flack from many people. All our DE aren't playing up their potential. I think it is due to our non-existent Defensive Tackles. I do agree that when Osi gets sack happy, he can make a ton of mental mistakes. Osi is really fast for DE. I just think we he is drunk off of sacks he puts himself in bad position to make plays on running backs. Screen passes and delayed hand offs confuse the guy. CDN_G-MEN said it best. The guy runs around like a 4 yr old chasing soccer ball. I agree with it. When McCoy was running past him with the ball while trying to sack Vick, you could see that look on his face like "Uh ohh, I did it again". The guy needs a mental coach.

nycisgreat
10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I think the offense is creative. Gilbride isn't as conservative as he was 5 yrs ago. The Giants offense is more open now than it probably has been in its history. I haven't seen a Giants offense that is pass oriented as it is now in all my years of watching football. It is exciting.

joemorrisforprez
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Maybe he takes the approach of "let's do what we do and make the defense adjust to us (and not the other way around)"?

I'd much prefer that he analyze and attack a team's weakness. The best approach would have been to run the ball up the gut using Hynoski and Brown.

Another approach would have been to go uptempo, negating Philly's ability to rotate in fresh linemen.

There were times in the game that the Giants did run up the middle, and it worked.....unfortunately, they didn't stick with it.

I love the fact that the Giants have big play offense that can score points fast if needed. But in the case of the Eagles, the Giants had the advantage of size..... but instead of a ground game to exploit that size advantage, they decided to go with a passing game, which played to Philly's strength. The results were what I expected.

Against other teams, Gilbride is good....sometimes he's great. But against the Eagles, he just ****s the bed...... the most notable time being the 2008 playoffs, when on paper, the Eagles had no business being in the game, much less beating the Giants.

I knew the Giants would lose if Bradshaw got the start and the workload.....so I wasn't surprised at all.

I've come to accept it. I'll take playoff wins over Eagles wins, if I have to choose.

But watch the Steelers game next week.....I guarantee you the Steeler are going to pound the ball inside against the Wide Nine, and then that will open them up for some big play-action passes.

Steelers are going to beat the Eagles with the gameplan the Giants didn't use.

Drez
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I think it is due to our non-existent Defensive Tackles.

New York – Three Performances of Note
Stout Inside
It is the defensive ends for the Giants that usually get all of the ink when their defense is looked at, but in this game it was the big bodies inside that were exceptional. DTs Rocky Bernard (+4.6) and Linval Joseph (+2.3) were a force, especially against the run, all game long. Bernard was far too much for the Eagles’ replacement center to handle, and Joseph was a handful for anybody he went up against.
Evan Mathis has long been someone PFF has championed, and he is without question one of the league’s best guards, but I have never seen a player give him as many issues upon first contact as Joseph did in this game. The Giants defensive tackle was regularly able to generate instant movement before Mathis could readjust and regain control of the block, and there aren’t many players in the NFL that can move Mathis upon contact.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/01/refo-giants-eagles-week-4/

TheShouldersOf
10-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Indeed, it has gotten a bit predictable at times, i believe what a lot of offenses are going through now is overly complex systems that are inherently predictable at times,

by now teams know the Giants system, maybe not the specific 'Routes' or 'Plays' but the general system, the Giants are stubborn with a 'Power Run Game' and a Deep passing threat,

many believe that Eli will 'Win' the game, and defenses had that film from last season, and are better apt to defend it, they know what Cruz does and Nicks when healthy,

the targets are predominately Cruz and Nicks, now with Bennett, it's an added receiver, looking at the Statistics there is hardly spreading the ball around, it may be them not having a reliable Third and Fourth receiver, Hixon showcased ability in the last Game, but Barden is not a reliable Third or Fourth Receiver, with the Limited playing time and targets of Randle it's hard to tell if he is, and if he could be,

Likewise, there is not a lot of passes to the Running backs in the Flat, Check down passes Etc, it's either Deep or semi-deep hoping the receivers can make a play

i believe not only the Giants, but Football in general is becoming overly complex, for the sake of being complex, it's taking people a longer time to adjust and get in sync with an offense which results in either predictability, and or, inconsistency

NYG4lifeNYK
10-02-2012, 07:47 PM

-Can't believe Resse fell for this guys gimmicks!!

I mean this when I say this, you are an ABSOLUTE moron, on all accounts.

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Steelers are going to beat the Eagles with the gameplan the Giants didn't use.

without a doubt

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I mean this when I say this, you are an ABSOLUTE moron, on all accounts.

as much as I agree with what you said

lets keep the name calling to a minimum

:)

Moke
10-02-2012, 07:58 PM
We don't need creativity to win games.

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 08:00 PM
just execute the play called

gmenfan0488
10-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Gillbride's playcalling is frustrating at times. But our offense should change stuff up more. Sunday night was bad, when you have the ball under 2 minutes left, on your opponents' 20 yard line and only need a field goal to win the game with a good kicker like Tynes you play conservative, and take the points when there's little to no time left

NYG4lifeNYK
10-02-2012, 08:21 PM
as much as I agree with what you said

lets keep the name calling to a minimum

:)

Haha very well ;)

jaxnygmen
10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Jerrigan has not done anything to warrant any time on the field. Obviously, the giants were not conservative on that final drive. It was eli's fault for the INT in the red zone, that is execution. We were majorly lopsided with the pass run option because the oline can not open up any holes. I agree that some of the play calling can certainly comes into question however, I am sure you were not complaining during the SB victories. The defense did not perform well in the second half and gave Vick to much time and the WR too much room. I think if we had Nicks, Rivers, and Canty this game would have been different.

Captain Chaos
10-03-2012, 05:32 AM
And if they kick a FG then all would be forgiven, love it!

giantsfam04
10-03-2012, 06:54 AM
When players execute the coaching staff is genius when players don't execute the coaches suck. I can think of several teams in the league that would jump on the chance to hire Gilbride if he were fired. Most people don't appreciate what you have until it is lost. Is he perfect no, but no one is. As fans we have the luxury of sitting back and playing Monday morning quarterback.

GMENAGAIN
10-03-2012, 06:57 AM

You really should stop watching football. It seems like its really not for you. Maybe needlepoint or bird-watching would be better hobbies for you.