PDA

View Full Version : Wilson in our offense

gmenfan0488
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Gilbride should draw up some screens, get Wilson the ball in space. He's said to be a good receiver out of the backfield, and has the speed and power to really hurt teams in the open field. It may get the run game a bit of a spark too when defenses have another thing to think about.

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Gilbride should draw up some screens, get Wilson the ball in space. He's said to be a good receiver out of the backfield, and has the speed and power to really hurt teams in the open field. It may get the run game a bit of a spark too when defenses have another thing to think about.I can't argue with this at all but I guess he's still in the doghouse but I think we are going to see him a lot against the Browns this Sunday....

BigBlue1971
10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
im hoping the same thing! Wilson had that fumble in game 1, TC didnt like that especially after giving him an opportunity to show up! but hes a rookie!

i imagine Gilbride will eventually design something for him! he can be dangerous for us!

in a coupla games hopefully we can bump this thread with nothing but positive comments about his play!

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Gilbride should draw up some screens, get Wilson the ball in space. He's said to be a good receiver out of the backfield, and has the speed and power to really hurt teams in the open field. It may get the run game a bit of a spark too when defenses have another thing to think about.

He dropped a pass Sunday but most importanttly he's behind Bradsahaw and Brown at the moment. He will get his chances. Coughlin has been very complimentary of Wilson's kick returns and his efforts at practice

miked1958
10-02-2012, 09:42 PM
He dropped a pass Sunday but most importanttly he's behind Bradsahaw and Brown at the moment. He will get his chances. Cougfhlin has been very cimplimentary of Wilson's kick returns and his efforts at practiceHe has the potential to break one everytime he touches the ball

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
He has the potential to break one everytime he touches the ball

I expect it now

Flip Empty
10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Gilbride should draw up some screens,
They've given him that screen where he lines up out wide. They ran it in pre-season and against Tampa, if I remember correctly.
There was also that two-back shotgun form they tried using him in on Sunday.

It's clear that they're trying to get him involved but it looks like he'll be phased in over a large amount of time. Frustrating, but fairly typical of the team where rookies are concerned.

Perhaps his performance on the return unit will speed up the process somewhat?

TheShouldersOf
10-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Indeed, passes in the Flat, Check Downs Etc,

though, utilizing him as a True Running Back would also be superior,

giving him one swing toss, a game is not only predictable, it's not utilizing him,

don't forget he had the most yards after Contact, more than Trent Richardson, he has power speed and elusiveness, a Cut Back type back, with power,

Toadofsteel
10-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Wilson's usage on returns last sunday was primarily to test him to see if he could hold onto the ball. He passed with flying colors. I expect to see him in the backfield more often going forward.

JB456
10-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Wilson's usage on returns last sunday was primarily to test him to see if he could hold onto the ball. He passed with flying colors. I expect to see him in the backfield more often going forward.

I agree that they wanted to test him but the fact that they haven't utilized a weapon of his caliber (1st round draft pick) except for kick off returns, makes me want to puke. Add in the fact that this team has struggled in the run game and this kid has been riding the pine makes me want to punch a nun who is helping an old lady across the street.

Toadofsteel
10-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I agree that they wanted to test him but the fact that they haven't utilized a weapon of his caliber (1st round draft pick) except for kick off returns, makes me want to puke. Add in the fact that this team has struggled in the run game and this kid has been riding the pine makes me want to punch a nun who is helping an old lady across the street.

I don't necessarily like it either, but nothing gets you in TC's doghouse quite like fumbling the football. He's letting Wilson get more of a chance than Scott did to redeem himself (he IS a first round pick after all), but overall TC wants to make sure you won't fumble before you see a carry...

ALLnygIN
10-03-2012, 01:35 AM
If we are going to rush the ball on 3rd and short i'd like to see wilson get a touch or two and see what he can get.. He's so quick and not easy to bring down. All he would need is just a little hole to explode through. I may be wrong statistically, but over the years Bradshaw from what I can recollect has been anything but desireable to have try to pick up any amount of yards on 3rd and short. Wilson, could add a whole new collection for plays on 3rd and short. They can use this kid in so many ways, i'm waiting for him to prove himself to his coaches, becuase when he does he will be a force to other defenses. it's just going to take some time.

BeatYale
10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
When he has been on the field to run the ball it's just been too obvious, the opposing team gets a good push and stops him in the back field and then off the field he goes again! I feel bad for him. Maybe KG should dial up a PA pass with him out there next time.

giantsfan420
10-03-2012, 01:42 AM
i am a huge TC guy. but how he's handled Wilson...I dont agree with it. week 1, early in the game, we went to him. that leads me to believe that he was part of the plans early. he was gonna be used as a legit nfl back would.
but bc of one fumble (and admittedly what I dont see at practices) Wilson just gets scraped from the gameplan completely and he can't even get carries?

enough of this bs tom foolery with him, PA shovel pass in tight traffic at the LOS? yeah that's much simpler than letting him run a sweep or off tackle run...the other 1rst round backs r getting feature back carries, hell even lamar miller, miami's late rd draft pick has gotten a ton of carries and looked great...u cant tell me all these other rookie rb's like alfred smith have any less responsibility when having to pass protect...

we can all see that wilson could be taken over games right now as is, that first half vs chicago starters was damn impressive. especially bc the gameplans on both teams side of the ball were generic and a lot of what wilson was doing was just using his elite agility/speed/quickness/athleticism to blow by people purely on talent, not play design...

sorry for the rant but i hate how wilson went from #2 back, to essentially not even a RB but a KO Returner, all bc he fumbled once...

giantsfan420
10-03-2012, 01:46 AM
they were gonna trust wilson with a lot of responsibilities (pass protection included) as the #2 back. They obviusly trusted him to do it if they had him as the #2 opening week (which was earlier than alot of us, even he expected). so he's not getting carries solely bc of that fumble imho. see where im coming from?

ELI_Iz_God
10-03-2012, 03:52 AM

I seriously doubt that. TC is perfectly satisifed with him just being a Kickoff return man and I doubt he has any serious thought about using him for more at this point. It's a shame too because there is 31 other teams out there that are breathing a sigh of relief that we're not using him more other than special teams.

I'm passionate about this kid...and if we're not gonna use him smart..then it almost feels like we don't deserve to have him on our roster

Captain Chaos
10-03-2012, 06:05 AM
You're kidding right! Wasn't that what that shuttle pass was all about.

giantsfam04
10-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Here is an idea, have the te go up the seam taking the lb with him, send the wr on a deep post rout and bump it off to him in the flat and have him isolated one on one in space with a safety or lb. I like that matchup and I think he wins it. By no means am I an expert but I am sure the coaching staff has some plays for him. As for the game against philly I don't by it that he is in the dog house anymore. TC trusts him to run back kickoff in which ball security is just as important, maybe more so than a play from scrimmage. If he puts one on the ground during a kickoff that is almost instant scoring position for the opposing offense.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I don't necessarily like it either, but nothing gets you in TC's doghouse quite like fumbling the football. He's letting Wilson get more of a chance than Scott did to redeem himself (he IS a first round pick after all), but overall TC wants to make sure you won't fumble before you see a carry...

Wilson's ability to run isn't the problem, as you've pointed out. But fumbling is a costly mistake. But I think Brown's emergence has done more to limit Wilson's offensive snaps than anything else. There is also the issue of picking up blocks and blitzes which Wilson had some trouble with in preseason. He is making a big splash as kick returns which is giving us field position we haven't seen in years.

As someone else has said, we don't get to see these guys at practice. We'll see Wilson get more snaps as the season progresses.

Flip Empty
10-03-2012, 09:27 AM
i am a huge TC guy. but how he's handled Wilson...I dont agree with it. week 1, early in the game, we went to him. that leads me to believe that he was part of the plans early. he was gonna be used as a legit nfl back would.
but bc of one fumble (and admittedly what I dont see at practices) Wilson just gets scraped from the gameplan completely and he can't even get carries?

enough of this bs tom foolery with him, PA shovel pass in tight traffic at the LOS? yeah that's much simpler than letting him run a sweep or off tackle run...the other 1rst round backs r getting feature back carries, hell even lamar miller, miami's late rd draft pick has gotten a ton of carries and looked great...u cant tell me all these other rookie rb's like alfred smith have any less responsibility when having to pass protect....
Agree with this. Seeing his talent relegated to kickoff returns is frustrating. Every time he got hold of the ball, he looked capable of taking it to the house. Just give the guy a(nother) chance.

Mistanihan
10-03-2012, 09:32 AM
He dropped a pass Sunday but most importanttly he's behind Bradsahaw and Brown at the moment. He will get his chances. Coughlin has been very complimentary of Wilson's kick returns and his efforts at practice

He seems to have responded well to the fumble in week one. Hard working lad.

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Two things:
a) That shovel-pass was mis-timed; hit Wilson on his back shoulder as he flew thru the backfield, and
b) Wilson needs serious reps, just like any RB

Also, gotta say this about his kick returns: He seems to simply tear up yards effortlessly. He looks like he's moving slowly, yet everyone is left eating dust. His vision up-field is great, just sees the spot and treads a seam to it. I was very happy to see us have a return game. Special teams have vastly improved over the passed 3-4 years.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
He seems to have responded well to the fumble in week one. Hard working lad. True by all accounts

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Two things: a) That shovel-pass was mis-timed; hit Wilson on his back shoulder as he flew thru the backfield, and b) Wilson needs serious reps, just like any RB Also, gotta say this about his kick returns: He seems to simply tear up yards effortlessly. He looks like he's moving slowly, yet everyone is left eating dust. His vision up-field is great, just sees the spot and treads a seam to it. I was very happy to see us have a return game. Special teams have vastly improved over the passed 3-4 years.

There will come an opening due to injury or game circumstance and Wilson will get his chance

jakegibbs
10-03-2012, 09:55 AM

He's not going to be effective until he starts seeing around 15 or more snaps per game. When he comes in now the defense keys on him knowing he's in there for one reason & one reason only; to get the ball on that particular play. When he starts playing more snaps then you'll see him get the opportunity to break one & when that happens well look out Bradshaw your playing days clock will start to tic toc.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 10:07 AM
He's not going to be effective until he starts seeing around 15 or more snaps per game. When he comes in now the defense keys on him knowing he's in there for one reason & one reason only; to get the ball on that particular play. When he starts playing more snaps then you'll see him get the opportunity to break one & when that happens well look out Bradshaw your playing days clock will start to tic toc. That could be, but when your number is called you can't fumble or drop passes

OX1
10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
When he has been on the field to run the ball it's just been too obvious, the opposing team gets a good push and stops him in the back field and then off the field he goes again! I feel bad for him. Maybe KG should dial up a PA pass with him out there next time.

This is the problem. Put him in only when you know he will take the rock or get a screen.
Great way to set him up to fail. Needs to be in more on any down plays so we can fool
the opposing D.

CowboysSuck
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
The thing is,

A. We dont want him making mistakes to cost us games

B. We do not want David Wilson to rush for a 1,000 yds this year as it will **** us when it comes contract time

B.2. I think the Giants know they have a real talent and dont want to expose him to the league too soon...the kid could hold out, demand more money in a couple years, sign with the Eagles...who knows.

Flip Empty
10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
The thing is,

A. We dont want him making mistakes to cost us games

B. We do not want David Wilson to rush for a 1,000 yds this year as it will **** us when it comes contract time

B.2. I think the Giants know they have a real talent and dont want to expose him to the league too soon...the kid could hold out, demand more money in a couple years, sign with the Eagles...who knows.
I'm with you on the first point, but the rest?

Wilson is under contract for four years. You're suggesting the Giants keep this guy under wraps until he's 25? That just doesn't make sense.

JesseJames
10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
He has the potential to break one everytime he touches the ball

so has DaRel Scott but we never seem him either

yoeddy
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I absolutely love the fact that this team has a sense that if you fumble the ball, you go to the doghouse. Imagine the career Tiki Barber would have had if Fassel had the same philosophy...

jomo
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
That could be, but when your number is called you can't fumble or drop passes........and you darn well better be able to protect the QB. He'll get his shot in the coming weeks.

CowboysSuck
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm with you on the first point, but the rest?

Wilson is under contract for four years. You're suggesting the Giants keep this guy under wraps until he's 25? That just doesn't make sense.

You are missing my point.

There is a thing athletes do, its called holding out. Usually when they feel they have out produced their contract, especially these long rookie contracts, they will demand more money. If they do not get it upon asking, they will refuse to show up to practice/play etc. They call it holding out.

"Holy dang, that David Wilson is holding out after his 1,000 yd season last year..."

-me " I told you guys on the Message Board that would happen"

"Yeah, they should have given him a few less carries per game, so that he wouldnt be as productive and we would have been able to extend his contract, for cheaper"

-me " (bumps this thread) LOL"

CowboysSuck
10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Im not saying I'm right, I bet im probably wrong, but it has to be a thought of theirs, no?

CowboysSuck
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
so has DaRel Scott but we never seem him either

Scott is the next Brown. There wont be room for him next year, he will bounce from team to team for 1 1/2 years and then Bradhshaw will retire and we will re-sign Darell Scott. He will come in a game unexpected (by now we will have a another rookie RB who everyone will expect to start in plave of Wilson) and tear it up. ala Brown in the Carolina game.

Its just a number game at this point, Darell has talent, there just isnt enough carries to go around. ESPECIALLY with this 70-30% passing-rushing balance.

yoeddy
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
It's possible that he's just not ready...

Flip Empty
10-03-2012, 12:31 PM
You are missing my point.

There is a thing athletes do, its called holding out. Usually when they feel they have out produced their contract, especially these long rookie contracts, they will demand more money. If they do not get it upon asking, they will refuse to show up to practice/play etc. They call it holding out.

"Holy dang, that David Wilson is holding out after his 1,000 yd season last year..."

-me " I told you guys on the Message Board that would happen"

"Yeah, they should have given him a few less carries per game, so that he wouldnt be as productive and we would have been able to extend his contract, for cheaper"

-me " (bumps this thread) LOL"
Who does that? When you draft a guy in the first round, you're generally looking for him to have an immediate impact.