PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Domenik Hixon has chance to step up with Hakeem Nicks' injury

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Giants' Domenik Hixon has chance to step up with Hakeem Nicks' injury

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1356217-new-york-giants-domenik-hixon-has-chance-to-step-up-with-hakeem-nicks-injury

Excerpt: "Over the last two weeks, Hakeem Nicks has been out of the Giants (http://bleacherreport.com/new-york-giants)' starting lineup with a knee injury.

His status for Week 5 against the Cleveland Browns (http://bleacherreport.com/cleveland-browns) has not yet been determined, but according to Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News, it's not looking good.

After his 10-catch, 199-yard and a touchdown game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://bleacherreport.com/tampa-bay-buccaneers) in Week 2, receivers like Ramses Barden and Rueben Randle have had opportunities to step up.

Barden stepped up in Week 3 against the Carolina Panthers (http://bleacherreport.com/carolina-panthers), but struggled in Week 4 against the Eagles (http://bleacherreport.com/philadelphia-eagles). Randle has yet to be a factor at all this season.

However, against the Eagles, one receiver did step up: Domenik Hixon (http://bleacherreport.com/domenik-hixon).

Against Philadelphia, Hixon had six catches for 114 yards, averaging 19 yards per reception with a long of 41 yards for the Giants." Read more...

Kruunch
10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
People forget that Hixon had the inside track for the #1 receiver spot when Plax went down in '08.

If he's on the field, he's always been a great weapon for Eli.

Buddy333
10-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Hixon is a good player but no matter how you sugar coat it losing Nicks is a huge problem. There are only a maybe 5 WR's in the league that could take his place.

Toadofsteel
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
He's not as fast as Nicks, never has been. But it seems as though he hasn't lost a step after 2 ACL surguries, and that is HUGE...

Buddy333
10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Before his ACL injuries he was faster than Nicks. Nicks is not what you would call a fast WR.

swimeasy
10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
People forget that Hixon had the inside track for the #1 receiver spot when Plax went down in '08.

IA Kruunch. After his performance against the Eagles, they will have to take him seriously thereby opening up more opportunities elsewhere as well. As usual, I'm pulling for 'the gazelle"!

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 09:32 AM
People forget that Hixon had the inside track for the #1 receiver spot when Plax went down in '08. If he's on the field, he's always been a great weapon for Eli. +1

Moke
10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Hixon showed what he can do last game and I still have faith in him. What krunch said - people forget that and even with his ACL, sure he lost a step but he still can provide us 3rd receiver stats. Even #2.Well be fine with him as long as he stays healthy and doesn't get Injured again.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Hixon is a good player but no matter how you sugar coat it losing Nicks is a huge problem. There are only a maybe 5 WR's in the league that could take his place. No one is suggesting he should replace Nicks, he's a good alternative when he's down

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Hixon showed what he can do last game and I still have faith in him. What krunch said - people forget that and even with his ACL, sure he lost a step but he still can provide us 3rd receiver stats. Even #2.Well be fine with him as long as he stays healthy and doesn't get Injured again. Hixon is an ideal number 3 wide receiver

Moke
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Hixon is a good player but no matter how you sugar coat it losing Nicks is a huge problem. There are only a maybe 5 WR's in the league that could take his place.Again making no sense. No one gives a **** about nicks right now because this is not his thread. Hixon isn't replacing Nicks.

jakegibbs
10-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Before his ACL injuries he was faster than Nicks. Nicks is not what you would call a fast WR.

He's not as fast as Nicks, never has been. But it seems as though he hasn't lost a step after 2 ACL surguries, and that is HUGE...

We seem to have to poster with conflicting opinions on the speed of Hixon vs Nicks.hmmmm...
I bet if you line um up right now Hixon would smoke Nicks in the 40 yd dash since Nicks has a foot, knee,,,,, some type of leg problem anyway. I can say one thing about Nicks vs all the other WRs. He's better at getting off press coverage than the lot of them & that's a definate problem I saw in the Cowboy & Eagles game. No one could consistantly get off on press coverage.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 09:58 AM
He's not as fast as Nicks, never has been. But it seems as though he hasn't lost a step after 2 ACL surguries, and that is HUGE... We seem to have to poster with conflicting opinions on the speed of Hixon vs Nicks.hmmmm... I bet if you line um up right now Hixon would smoke Nicks in the 40 yd dash since Nicks has a foot, knee,,,,, some type of leg problem anyway. I can say one thing about Nicks vs all the other WRs. He's better at getting off press coverage than the lot of them & that's a definate problem I saw in the Cowboy & Eagles game. No one could consistantly get off on press coverage. We had two receivers with 100+ yards. Luck?

fansince69
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
We had two receivers with 100+ yards. Luck?

Maybe Eli?

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Hicks, Nixon, whatever. Just throw him the damn ball.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Maybe Eli?

Someone had to make the catches, no? We played well enough to win, made enough mistakes to lose it

Kruunch
10-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Hixon is an ideal number 3 wide receiver

+1

Hixon showed that he didn't have the chops to be the #1 (dropped too many big passes back in the day). He's a competent #2 and an awesome #3.

As RF stated, in no way am I saying that Hixon can replace the production that Nicks gives us ... just that we aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel with Hixon.

Kruunch
10-03-2012, 11:00 AM

We seem to have to poster with conflicting opinions on the speed of Hixon vs Nicks.hmmmm...
I bet if you line um up right now Hixon would smoke Nicks in the 40 yd dash since Nicks has a foot, knee,,,,, some type of leg problem anyway. I can say one thing about Nicks vs all the other WRs. He's better at getting off press coverage than the lot of them & that's a definate problem I saw in the Cowboy & Eagles game. No one could consistantly get off on press coverage.

As far as I know, Hixon (today) is faster than Nicks (both in acceleration and flat out speed). Nicks has stronger hands and "plays bigger" than Hixon (even though Hixon is an inch taller). Nicks also seems to be more route savvy than Hixon (Nicks' best quality).

EnragedYouth85
10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
NIcks is an exceptional athlete whether he's faster or not. Speed doesn't equate to a great WR, skill, route running and hard work do. That being said, if Hixon can stay on the field and get some playing time no one knows how good he could get. By no means is Hixon a replacement for NIcks, he is a reliable sub until Nicks is healthy. Like it or not, that's how it's going to be..

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Lets not forget who our receivers were that year. Smith, Toomer, Manningham, and Moss.

Smith had his role in the slot. Toomer was pretty much done. Manningham was a rookie, and Moss was Moss.

Becoming the number one receiver in that group is not a huge deal.

That being said, Hixon is a real nice player, but our offense takes a huge slide with Hakeem out. What makes our offensive attack so devastating is that teams have to find an answer for Nicks and Cruz. When one of them is out, it suddenly becomes a very average looking offense.

Toadofsteel
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
We had two receivers with 100+ yards. Luck?

He plays for the Colts...

Shockeystays08
10-03-2012, 01:05 PM

+1

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
He plays for the Colts...

Point taken lol

Mistanihan
10-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Hixon has the skills to be a starter on this team. Injuries haven't helped.. I see a big week for him.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Hixon has the skills to be a starter on this team. Injuries haven't helped.. I see a big week for him.

I would look for both Cruz and Hixon to have 150+ yards against the Browns

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I would look for both Cruz and Hixon to have 150+ yards against the Browns

The only way we have two receivers with +150, is if we are chasing a big lead for most of the game. Kind of like the Tampa game. I surely hope that is not the case this week against a team like the Browns.

I Bleed Blue
10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
As far as I know, Hixon (today) is faster than Nicks (both in acceleration and flat out speed). Nicks has stronger hands and "plays bigger" than Hixon (even though Hixon is an inch taller). Nicks also seems to be more route savvy than Hixon (Nicks' best quality).

Can you please provide some proof to back this statement up?

Buddy333
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
It's not a knock on Nicks. He is just not what you wold call a speedy WR.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 02:34 PM
The only way we have two receivers with +150, is if we are chasing a big lead for most of the game. Kind of like the Tampa game. I surely hope that is not the case this week against a team like the Browns.

Are the Browns better than the Panthers, defensively?

Buddy333
10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Are the Browns better than the Panthers, defensively?Can not say I've seen them a lot this year but the played the hard against the Ravens. I mean they keep losing games that are closely contested.

Moke
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Can not say I've seen them a lot this year but the played the hard against the Ravens. I mean they keep losing games that are closely contested.

Eagles played a ****ty game against the Browns from what I watched and the Ravens are a division game. I fail to believe we cannot pass all over them, especially with Haden out.

Buddy333
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Did the Eagles play a bad game or did the Browns make them play a bad game? They have been trouble for everyone they played so far this year.

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Are the Browns better than the Panthers, defensively?

I have no idea what the point of that question is, but you do realize how rare it is for two receivers havin +150 in the same game right? If we weren't chasing a lead that never would of happened against Tampa. I know I don't have to explain this to a fan of your magnitude. I don't expect to be in a position where we will be playing catch up against the Browns, so the likelihood of those kinds of yardage numbers is nil. It will be typical Giants football.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I have no idea what the point of that question is, but you do realize how rare it is for two receivers havin +150 in the same game right? If we weren't chasing a lead that never would of happened against Tampa. I know I don't have to explain this to a fan of your magnitude. I don't expect to be in a position where we will be playing catch up against the Browns, so the likelihood of those kinds of yardage numbers is nil. It will be typical Giants football.

I do realize that and against the Panthers we had two receivers with close to 200 yards each; Nicks 199, Cruz 178 I think.

Typical Giants' football includes a. strong running game. We're not there yet

GameTime
10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
The Giants are a better team....period. If they good solid game they win.....

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 03:07 PM
The Giants are a better team....period. If they good solid game they win.....

Which I am expecting

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I do realize that and against the Panthers we had two receivers with close to 200 yards each; Nicks 199, Cruz 178 I think.

Typical Giants' football includes a. strong running game. We're not there yet

That game was against the Bucs when we needed 3 td's in the 4 th quarter. Against the Panthers only Barden broke 100 yards, and Nicks didn't play.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
That game was against the Bucs when we needed 3 td's in the 4 th quarter. Against the Panthers only Barden broke 100 yards, and Nicks didn't play.

What's in a name? LMAO

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
What's in a name? LMAO

You're right name, means nothing. It's the situation they were in that dictated the need for that aerial attack. That's all.

RoanokeFan
10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
You're right name, means nothing. It's the situation they were in that dictated the need for that aerial attack. That's all.

I just wish we had an effective running game

EnragedYouth85
10-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I just wish we had an effective running game

Don't we all? 37 yards just doesnt cut it. Yes, Eli is great but he shouldnt have to throw the ball 40+ times a game. Plus the game was never more than a score apart.. sad really..

nycsportzfan
10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I was worrying about Hixon alot becasue it seemed he haden't been the same since the early portion of his giants career.. I think of huge drop vs philly in postseason and some drops in dallas that was also a loss.. But he was sensational against philly, and looked like the playmaker he was when he was a KR/WR in his early days as a giant...

Eliscruzzz
10-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I was worrying about Hixon alot becasue it seemed he haden't been the same since the early portion of his giants career.. I think of huge drop vs philly in postseason and some drops in dallas that was also a loss.. But he was sensational against philly, and looked like the playmaker he was when he was a KR/WR in his early days as a giant...Yeah I have to eat crow about Hixon but he was big time against Philly I was super impressed he made huge catch after huge catch........

jomo
10-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Stepping up for me is when a guy does something he's never done before. Hixon has been an excellent player for us over several years (obvioulsy when not injured). Against the Eagles he did what he has done before and I expect more of it from him on Sunday.

RoanokeFan
10-04-2012, 05:15 AM
;
Stepping up for me is when a guy does something he's never done before. Hixon has been an excellent player for us over several years (obvioulsy when not injured). Against the Eagles he did what he has done before and I expect more of it from him on Sunday. +1

Rat_bastich
10-04-2012, 05:59 AM

And, he had the inside track for the number 2 until he went down with injury and Cruz ran with it.

Captain Chaos
10-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Hixon is solid!

miked1958
10-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Needs a huge game Sunday now that barden also could be out possibly

nycsportzfan
10-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Stepping up for me is when a guy does something he's never done before. Hixon has been an excellent player for us over several years (obvioulsy when not injured). Against the Eagles he did what he has done before and I expect more of it from him on Sunday. not really.. U guys are just totally remembering it wrong.. He was really good early on, mostly as a KR, and when Plax got hurt, he torched seattle, but after that, he had some ok games, but nothing special.. He certainly wasen't putting together many if any at all 6catch 115yrd games, thats for sure!