PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Captain

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
We all know who the captain is. Anyone think the role should go to someone else? If so, who and why?

burier
10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I think its time for the most productive player on the defense to take that role over and obviously its JPP.

There's something counter-productive about having a captain who is head and shoulders worse than another player. Also it seems with Tuck as captain the defense tends to take on his personality. Meaning when he plays well the defense plays well but when he decides that he wants to take a week off the whole defense takes a the week off with the obvious acception being JPP.

Last season I said that Tuck should be benched to send a message and this season I'm saying it again. I don't think you can be a good leader from the bench.

EnragedYouth85
10-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure what is up with our defensive line, honestly. Outside of JPP it seems no one is ever getting any pressure. I don't know if they are hurt, tired or just don't care. I hope they turn things around real quick though..

Cloud57
10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't know who the defensive captain should be but I agree it shouldn't be Tuck, as for JPP I don't think it should be him either because dumping players in a cold tub doesn't set a good example. I don't think any defensive player really stands out in terms of leadership. If you ever watched a Ravens game you see veteran players like Ray Lewis who gets his team fired up before and during the game, I don't know if he's a 'defensive captain' or not but that's what a defensive captain should be doing.

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I think its time for the most productive player on the defense to take that role over and obviously its JPP.

There's something counter-productive about having a captain who is head and shoulders worse than another player. Also it seems with Tuck as captain the defense tends to take on his personality. Meaning when he plays well the defense plays well but when he decides that he wants to take a week off the whole defense takes a the week off with the obvious acception being JPP.

Last season I said that Tuck should be benched to send a message and this season I'm saying it again. I don't think you can be a good leader from the bench.

I totally agree that Tuck shouldn't be the captain, but I don't think JPP is ready yet. He is still developing and needs to focus on his own game.

I would go with Boley or Rolle.

EnragedYouth85
10-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't know who the defensive captain should be but I agree it shouldn't be Tuck, as for JPP I don't think it should be him either because dumping players in a cold tub doesn't set a good example. I don't think any defensive player really stands out in terms of leadership. If you ever watched a Ravens game you see veteran players like Ray Lewis who gets his team fired up before and during the game, I don't know if he's a 'defensive captain' or not but that's what a defensive captain should be doing.

You can't honestly think JPP is the only one on our team, let alone the league that quote on quote, hazes rookies, right?

TheEnigma
10-03-2012, 11:25 AM
JPP is no doubt a great player but I'd disagree on nominating him the captain since he needs a little bit more experience in the NFL and he doesn't seem like the leader type anyhow. I'd give the nod to Michael Boley first.

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I totally agree that Tuck shouldn't be the captain, but I don't think JPP is ready yet. He is still developing and needs to focus on his own game.

I would go with Boley or Rolle.

I was thinking Boley or Rolle as well. Leaning more towards Rolle. On the field for most snaps and most games. Outspoken. The field plays in front of his position generally. Solid player with diverse roles. Decent candidate IMHO. Could bring a spark.

Toadofsteel
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Boley, Rolle, or Blackburn.

Mistanihan
10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Rolle without a doubt. Every season since he has been here he has played hard just about every snap. He is loud, fiery and a presence out there. Always intense on and off the field. I'd vote for him.

YATittle1962
10-03-2012, 01:31 PM

I would say Blackburn and Boley as well

GameTime
10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Rolle without a doubt. Every season since he has been here he has played hard just about every snap. He is loud, fiery and a presence out there. Always intense on and off the field. I'd vote for him.
Not Rolle....he is one of the most undisciplined players on the D. He is good but he is out of poisiotn alot and doesnt go with the scheme as much as he should. NOt a good example IMO for a capt. Tuck, although not performing well, can still be a very good captain. in his defense they have hardly ever shown any Giants' player pumping up the team on any kind of regular basis. You saw BJ a few times over the years and Tuck last year a couple of times. However we have no idea what goes on in the locker during the week or before a game.

BlueBlooded1979
10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
No reason to change this at all. Tuck is not a natural leader but guys tend to listen when he speaks. His production may be down but a great display of leadership is perseverance through adversity. He showed he could do it last year when dealing injuries and there is no reason to believe he can't do it again.

The only problem with the Prince situation is that idiot punter posting it online. Prince was playing zero toughness and now his mind seems right.

What kind of message does it send to your team if you strip a guy of his captaincy mid season? This isn't the Jets.

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-03-2012, 01:41 PM
What kind of message does it send to your team if you strip a guy of his captaincy mid season? This isn't the Jets.

I kinda envy the Jets. They always seem to be in that stress-free, "nothing to lose" situation..

GameTime
10-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I kinda envy the Jets. They always seem to be in that stress-free, "nothing to lose" situation..
???????

this makes 0 sense....
you envy the Jets????

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
???????

this makes 0 sense....
you envy the Jets????

try it like this:

GameTime
10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
try it like this:

better.....:cool:

Toadofsteel
10-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Someone should tell the Jets to join the club... we've lost our starting CB to an ACL 3 years in a row... before the season even started!

Mistanihan
10-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Not Rolle....he is one of the most undisciplined players on the D. He is good but he is out of poisiotn alot and doesnt go with the scheme as much as he should. NOt a good example IMO for a capt. Tuck, although not performing well, can still be a very good captain. in his defense they have hardly ever shown any Giants' player pumping up the team on any kind of regular basis. You saw BJ a few times over the years and Tuck last year a couple of times. However we have no idea what goes on in the locker during the week or before a game.

I hear ya. More of a hypothetical I was thinking. There has to be an underlining issue with Tuck aside from injury. Maybe it's age, or just slow start to the season. Hopefully he picks it up.

GameTime
10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I hear ya. More of a hypothetical I was thinking. There has to be an underlining issue with Tuck aside from injury. Maybe it's age, or just slow start to the season. Hopefully he picks it up.
Yeah....I dont nkow. It seems he is on fire at times and other times not so much. He did get a few pressures the other night but something has to get better within that group.

Mistanihan
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah....I dont nkow. It seems he is on fire at times and other times not so much. He did get a few pressures the other night but something has to get better within that group.

Tuck needs a monster sack or FF to get fired up. I feel like this week is going to be a big weekend for our D.

GameTime
10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Tuck needs a monster sack or FF to get fired up. I feel like this week is going to be a big weekend for our D.
hope so......they need it.

gumby74
10-03-2012, 02:15 PM
The player that is most respected in the locker room should be captain imo. It doesn't matter if you're a back up or don't have great production. When rookies are made captains, something is wrong.

BeatYale
10-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Stats and leadership don't go hand in hand. It's about having the respect of teammates from how you handle yourself during the day-to-day stuff of being a professional athlete. Tuck is a good locker room guy.

Rat_bastich
10-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Stats and leadership don't go hand in hand. It's about having the respect of teammates from how you handle yourself during the day-to-day stuff of being a professional athlete. Tuck is a good locker room guy.

+1 trillion! Tuck has been there and has stepped up and taken the role when Strahan left. The guy is a grizzled vet and knows what he is talking about. He has the respect of the players and I believe is one of the people who made Rolle realize doing things Coughlin's way works.

Captain Chaos
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm surprised this is even an issue. We seemed to get burned by guys not staying in their lanes and maintaining their containment. This is something for the coaches to fix....

Toadofsteel
10-04-2012, 12:01 PM

The same could be said about Blackburn...

burier
10-04-2012, 12:39 PM

I'd say effort and leadership go hand and hand and Tuck is a halfassed player. How many times is he gonna miss the the ball carrier and then walk around behind the play as it unfolds.

Its not just the coaches who see that. The players see it to and at that point you either are given the impression that its ok to give up on plays since Cap is doing it. Or you tune Cap out all together.

gumby74
10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
The same could be said about Blackburn... And I'd have no problem with Blackburn being the captain. Everything he stands for is great and should be respected.

Dwinsballgames
10-04-2012, 12:50 PM
how does one become captain. I was under the impression that the players elect the captians. If this is the case, then they obviously know or see something that many posters on here do not regarding Tuck.

BeatYale
10-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I'd say effort and leadership go hand and hand and Tuck is a halfassed player. How many times is he gonna miss the the ball carrier and then walk around behind the play as it unfolds.

Its not just the coaches who see that. The players see it to and at that point you either are given the impression that its ok to give up on plays since Cap is doing it. Or you tune Cap out all together.

The way you describe him, he's a liability on the field. If that were true, those coaches you just mentioned, wouldn't keep him on the field - but he still plays a lot of snaps. Are the coaches idiots? Fans on the message board know more than they do without even being on the practice field or being involved with the teams day-to-day activities throughout the week?

burier
10-04-2012, 01:15 PM
The way you describe him, he's a liability on the field. If that were true, those coaches you just mentioned, wouldn't keep him on the field - but he still plays a lot of snaps. Are the coaches idiots? Fans on the message board know more than they do without even being on the practice field or being involved with the teams day-to-day activities throughout the week?

I don't know. Maybe the coaches see something I don't see. But my eyes tell me the more Tuck plays the worse off we are.

BParcells777
10-04-2012, 01:19 PM
He is still a solid player.......It would not be a good thing to strip him of his captaincy

He might play worse

To me Rolle, despite his physical shortcomings is now the verbal leader out there

GameTime
10-04-2012, 01:22 PM
He is still a solid player.......It would not be a good thing to strip him of his captaincy

He might play worse

To me Rolle, despite his physical shortcomings is now the verbal leader out there

from a fans perspective we dont really get to see who the verbal leader is. They dont show that stuff very often. Its either not happening or they keep it from the media. I assume its the latter.

bigblue58
10-04-2012, 01:24 PM
We all know who the captain is. Anyone think the role should go to someone else? If so, who and why?

I can't think of a more meaningless title in sports!
Jack Sparrow could be the Captain for all it's worth.
Who the captain is has no bearing on what they do on the field.
Making someone else DC is going to magically make them rush the QB better, or defend a pass or stop a run? It's ludicrous!

burier
10-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I can't think of a more meaningless title in sports!
I don't care if Jack Sparrow is the Captain...who the captain is has no bearing on what they do on the field.
Making someone else DC is going to make them rush the QB better?

Uhhh...yeah.

I don't know where you got the idea that the captain has no bearing on what happens on the field. If that were true no one would bother selecting a captain in the first place. The captain sets the tone in practice and on the field. The captain demands accountability. The problem is..when the captain takes games off he loses his authority.

bigblue58
10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Uhhh...yeah.

I don't know where you got the idea that the captain has no bearing on what happens on the field. If that were true no one would bother selecting a captain in the first place. The captain sets the tone in practice and on the field. The captain demands accountability. The problem is..when the captain takes games off he loses his authority.

Unless the Defensive Captain is issued magic underwear that gives him super powers....yes....I maintain that it's meaningless and has zero, zip, zilch bearing on anything!

GameTime
10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Unless the Defensive Captain is issued magic underwear that gives him super powers....yes....I maintain that it's meaningless and has zero, zip, zilch bearing on anything!
the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.

bigblue58
10-04-2012, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=GameTime;516848]the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.[/QUOTE

The only Defensive player qualified to be Captain......and the only one who SHOULD BE Captain, is the one with the dot on his helmet calling out the defensive plays!
Anyone other than THAT guy being Captian is irrelevan to the performance on the field.
These guys are men in the NFL, not members of the Racoon Lodge.....motivation should come from within!

Why do we insist on applying childish terms to grown men in the NFL? If they still need a "Captain" to give them incentive, motivation and someone to look up to, they're in the wrong league.

GameTime
10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=GameTime;516848]the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.[/QUOTE

The only Defensive player qualified to be Captain......and the only one who SHOULD BE Captain, is the one with the dot on his helmet calling out the defensive plays!
thats makes little sense because its usually the MLB who does that. Thats a position requirement not an elected team issue...

burier
10-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Have you ever played football on any level?

GameTime
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
ask the Ravens...or The Bears....
they may differ in opnion

YATittle1962
10-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Have you ever played football on any level?

or any organized athletic activity for that matter

captains are absolutely invaluable

Redeyejedi
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I think this is something the players and coach decide . We are not in the locker room

bigblue58
10-04-2012, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=bigblue58;516880]
thats makes little sense because its usually the MLB who does that. Thats a position requirement not an elected team issue...

TY for making my argument for me! In 2007, we can both agree that Michael Strahan was the most vocal, inspirationall leader on the Giants Defense......... But who was the Defensive Captain? Antonio Pierce

Fee-fi-fo-fum
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I think of "captain" and can't help but recognizing DJ as the ultimate. The closest thing to Jeter on the entire Giants team is Eli, and on the offense side of things, it seems we have more attitude that is reflective of the organization as a whole. Obviously guys like Nicks, Cruz, Snee, Hynoski, and surely others are buying into some sort of leadership example and perpetuating it. I don't see the same thing on the defense side. The defense seems like a whole separate culture where things are more outspoken and undisciplined, unstable, vague - and pehaps chronically injured. Anyone else see this difference between the offense and defense?

burier
10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
or any organized athletic activity for that matter

captains are absolutely invaluable

I'm sayin....

GameTime
10-04-2012, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=GameTime;516884]

TY for making my argument for me! In 2007, we can both agree that Michael Strahan was the most vocal, inspirationall leader on the Giants Defense......... But who was the Defensive Captain? Antonio Pierce
it wasnt because he was calling the plays.....dont pat your self on the back to much you may hurt your arm....

GameTime
10-04-2012, 03:16 PM
I think of "captain" and can't help but recognizing DJ as the ultimate. The closest thing to Jeter on the entire Giants team is Eli, and on the offense side of things, it seems we have more attitude that is reflective of the organization as a whole. Obviously guys like Nicks, Cruz, Snee, Hynoski, and surely others are buying into some sort of leadership example and perpetuating it. I don't see the same thing on the defense side. The defense seems like a whole separate culture where things are more outspoken and undisciplined, unstable, vague - and pehaps chronically injured. Anyone else see this difference between the offense and defense?
what you say has merrit. There is no "Eli" on the defensive sid eof the ball. They dont seem to have that person who inspires confidence and calmness like Eli does. I cant say that for sure of course but it does seem that way.