PDA

View Full Version : Why the Nicks injury is actually a positive

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I want Nicks out there as much as anybody (he's killing my fantasy team), but in the long run I think this is a positive.

If Nicks had a monster year he would be in line for a HUGE contract. He would probably be looking for something just short of Larry Fitz money. Given the Giants have to take care of Cruz with JPP (highest paid defender ever?) on the horizon, I don't know if they would have sprung for that. Now Nicks can't possibly expect a monster contract mainly because of his injury history. Certainly he is due a raise, but it shouldn't be a cap-crippling contract. This way we can keep both Cruz and Nicks for years to come.

giantsfan420
10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
its true. that is one small positive that comes from this.

but i dont think nicks is as hurt as some (buddy) around here say. i'd bet he returns for the SF game. pretty much every nfl player would aggravate their knees if they went from strict rest all week, to full bore on gamedays...he'll be alright. but that is a good bargaining chip altho it could also work against us bc Nicks could believe he is worth x amount of dollars and JR believes he's worth y amount, and JR wont overpay for any FA from his past dealings...so...

repeatchamps
10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I want Nicks out there as much as anybody (he's killing my fantasy team), but in the long run I think this is a positive.

If Nicks had a monster year he would be in line for a HUGE contract. He would probably be looking for something just short of Larry Fitz money. Given the Giants have to take care of Cruz with JPP (highest paid defender ever?) on the horizon, I don't know if they would have sprung for that. Now Nicks can't possibly expect a monster contract mainly because of his injury history. Certainly he is due a raise, but it shouldn't be a cap-crippling contract. This way we can keep both Cruz and Nicks for years to come.

When the time comes I guarantee you Nicks (if he recovers fully from what nags him now and avoids further more significant injuries) gets more than Cruz. If Cruz is agreeable to that because he is more endorseable (off the field endorsements) than Nicks then the Giants will hopefully be able to find a way to keep them both.

burier
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Didn't the Giants throw a bunch of money a T2? (I know there were outs written into the contract but we shouldn't have offered him a copper penny)

The Giants are willy nilly with their money which is why we're always in cap hell.

And Nicks is gonna want that Larry Fitz money regardless. A swollen knee and a broken bone in the foot does not translate to an injury risk on the open market.

Buddy333
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Here is nothing good that can come from losing a top 5 WR. Tell us this if they miss the playoffs or lose another divisional game and he is in the bench.

Buddy333
10-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.

SuperNYGiants
10-04-2012, 02:28 PM
This is just a wishful thinking of a fan, Nicks will get his money, Giants would be fools to expect a discount deal out of Nicks. I only hope that FO would not think too little of Nicks and let him go and think they'll find another Nicks right away or something, Nicks is one of those WRs who only comes around once a decade.

thegreatone
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.Agree with this. IMO they will offer him something similar to what they offered smith after his monster year, adjusted for inflation of course. That is, if they can find the cap room.

Dwinsballgames
10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
No, the injury to our #1 WR is not a positive no matter how you spin it. It sucks.

Fharcyde
10-04-2012, 02:39 PM
The Redskins or Raiders will pay him top dollar if we won't (ie: Cornelius Griffin, Barry Cofield, Gibril Wilson, Kevin Boss). Sure he might lose some money due to his injury history, but Reese should still give him a deserving contract considering what he's done and how important he actually is to this offense.

RoanokeFan
10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.

That's free agency in a nutshell

TrueBlue@NYC
10-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Didn't the Giants throw a bunch of money a T2? (I know there were outs written into the contract but we shouldn't have offered him a copper penny)

The Giants are willy nilly with their money which is why we're always in cap hell.

And Nicks is gonna want that Larry Fitz money regardless. A swollen knee and a broken bone in the foot does not translate to an injury risk on the open market.

No, Giants are always tight against the cap because they have a bunch of talented players.

Usually the teams with a bunch of cap space are those devoid of talent.

The only player that we'll pretty much HAVE to give a new contract to next season will be Cruz b/c he's essentially playing on a UDFA contract right now.

Nicks I think still has one more year after this contract (usually 1st rounders sign for 5 years) and JPP I believe still has two years. They're both being payed like 1st rounders so they're not exactly going poor.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 03:28 PM
This is just a wishful thinking of a fan, Nicks will get his money, Giants would be fools to expect a discount deal out of Nicks. I only hope that FO would not think too little of Nicks and let him go and think they'll find another Nicks right away or something, Nicks is one of those WRs who only comes around once a decade.

Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent. He is a very good player but not transcendant. He hasn't broken 1200 yards recieving once (Cruz hit 1500 last year alone) in part because of his injuries. And the injuries will count at contract time. The Giants may franchise him or perhaps he gets Desean Jackson money but if he misses most of this year there is no way they break the bank for him.

jerseytom
10-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Depending on how Barden and Randle progress this year,I believe will give the Giants there bargaining tool.If the two start to shine in this system I believe they will pay Cruz and maybe not low ball Nicks but not offer him what he believes he is worth because of his injury problems.This will give them leverage over Nicks,He probly will walk if he is not paid top receiver dollar,and as the past has shown most x Giants do not flourish in other systems.Although ther is some exception to the rule.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
No, Giants are always tight against the cap because they have a bunch of talented players.

Usually the teams with a bunch of cap space are those devoid of talent.

The only player that we'll pretty much HAVE to give a new contract to next season will be Cruz b/c he's essentially playing on a UDFA contract right now.

Nicks I think still has one more year after this contract (usually 1st rounders sign for 5 years) and JPP I believe still has two years. They're both being payed like 1st rounders so they're not exactly going poor.

There is no way the Giants let JPP get to the final year of his deal without a new one being done. No way. If there is one guy the Giants break the bank for it's JPP. A 23 year-old All-Pro D-Lineman who many consider the best in the game. I wish I was his agent.

TuckandRolle
10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
We aren't going to let Nicks go don't worry. Phillips may be lost next year. Osi will be gone. T2 was only gauranteed 1 million from us, all of the other money was incentives and bonuses based on performance. So we aren't wasting or losing any money on T2. Nicks and Cruz are our 2 biggest signing priorities for the next 2 years. No shot we let either go, Reese knows this.

Bennett is extremely happy in NY. We signed him for 1 year and so far I like what I see from him. He'll resign for a discount because of the fact NY suits his lifestyle very well. He is a perfect example of a player who's potential was exposed thanks to Eli.

TuckandRolle
10-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I predict he will get somewhere in the ball park of V-Jax. He loves the organization. The only place I could see him jetsetting to is the Panthers because of his family. He's a father first.

We can't compare his career to Fitz because Fitz has put together spectacular seasons with garbage QB's AND never gets hurt. Injuries year in and year out do make a difference, no matter what anyone says.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent. He is a very good player but not transcendant. He hasn't broken 1200 yards recieving once (Cruz hit 1500 last year alone) in part because of his injuries. And the injuries will count at contract time. The Giants may franchise him or perhaps he gets Desean Jackson money but if he misses most of this year there is no way they break the bank for him.Dude did you watch the playoffs last year????? Nicks is a top 5 talent and only person that had a better playoff run was Fitz he is going to asked for Fitz kind of money...and the only reason why he hasn't hit the 1200 yard mark is he was injured like two games a year.... I don't think the Giants will let him walk cause they know how critical he is to Eli he is not SS this time it works both ways qb need wr and wr needs qb...I'm think he gets a deal like 5 years 40 million maybe more.......

giantsforce
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm sure Nicks has an agent who would laugh at his idea. He has put up the numbers to get him the money. If the Giants can't afford him or try to low ball him because he is hurt he will leave.I just hope it does not turn out to be another Steve Smith affair.

Fharcyde
10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Cruz benefited last season from defenses focusing on Nicks. He's still producing this season without him, but just like any top receiver should. If Hakeem Nicks is on the field the defense had to account for him and it just makes Eli's reads that much easier.

Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent.

Name a better receiver the Giants have had in the modern era than Hakeem Nicks. The short list might include Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, and Chris Calloway. Tiki Barber is the third leading receiver in Giants history and he was a running back. Nicks is more talented than any of those players and worth every dollar he asks for in my opinion.
http://nashvillegman.hubpages.com/hub/New-York-Giants-All-Time-Receiving-Yardage-Leaders

How many receivers have the Giants miffed on? Tim Carter, Sinorice Moss, and then going back to Joe Jurevicius, Ron Dixon, Thomas Lewis, even Ike Hilliard didn't pan out to be anything more than solid. The jury is still out on Ramses Barden, Jerrel Jernigan, and Rueben Randle though none has done anything much as of yet and they could easily be added onto that list.

Toomer, Nicks, and perhaps Manningham are only players drafted by the New York Giants to actually produce to expectations.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Dude did you watch the playoffs last year????? Nicks is a top 5 talent and only person that had a better playoff run was Fitz he is going to asked for Fitz kind of money...and the only reason why he hasn't hit the 1200 yard mark is he was injured like two games a year.... I don't think the Giants will let him walk cause they know how critical he is to Eli he is not SS this time it works both ways qb need wr and wr needs qb...I'm think he gets a deal like 5 years 40 million maybe more.......

Yeah, and injuries count! He's not much good to the Giants if he's sitting out games. If a player is injury prone it's going to hurt his value.

And by the way

Megatron
Larry Fitz
Roddy White
AJ Green
Victor Cruz
Brandon Marshall

All better than Nicks.

With Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, Dwayne Bowe, Jordy Nelson and probably 5 others who I can't think of off the top of my head in the same neighborhood as Nicks.

I like Nicks a lot. He's a good player and if he can kick the injury bug he may be a great player.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah, and injuries count! He's not much good to the Giants if he's sitting out games. If a player is injury prone it's going to hurt his value.

And by the way

Megatron
Larry Fitz
Roddy White
AJ Green
Victor Cruz
Brandon Marshall

All better than Nicks.

With Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, Dwayne Bowe, Jordy Nelson and probably 5 others who I can't think of off the top of my head in the same neighborhood as Nicks.

I like Nicks a lot. He's a good player and if he can kick the injury bug he may be a great player.They just said on NFL live Nicks will probably play against the 49ers and you opinion on those wr is your opinion but I think your wrong Cruz is not better then Nicks any...any Giants fan knows that...

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Cruz benefited last season from defenses focusing on Nicks. He's still producing this season without him, but just like any top receiver should. If Hakeem Nicks is on the field the defense had to account for him and it just makes Eli's reads that much easier.

Name a better receiver the Giants have had in the modern era than Hakeem Nicks. The short list might include Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, and Chris Calloway. Tiki Barber is the third leading receiver in Giants history and he was a running back. Nicks is more talented than any of those players and worth every dollar he asks for in my opinion.
http://nashvillegman.hubpages.com/hub/New-York-Giants-All-Time-Receiving-Yardage-Leaders

How many receivers have the Giants miffed on? Tim Carter, Sinorice Moss, and then going back to Joe Jurevicius, Ron Dixon, Thomas Lewis, even Ike Hilliard didn't pan out to be anything more than solid. The jury is still out on Ramses Barden, Jerrel Jernigan, and Rueben Randle though none has done anything much as of yet and they could easily be added onto that list.

Toomer, Nicks, and perhaps Manningham are only players drafted by the New York Giants to actually produce to expectations.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm

What does that prove exactly? The Giants WRs have never been strong, this is the best they have had. So Nicks might be the best Giant WR ever. That's like saying Josh Freeman might be the best Bucs QB ever. A statement that may sound impressive but then you look to see who you are comparing him too and its much less impressive.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:18 PM
They just said on NFL live Nicks will probably play against the 49ers and you opinion on those wr is your opinion but I think your wrong Cruz is not better then Nicks any...any Giants fan knows that...

They said he would probably play against the Eagles too.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
They said he would probably play against the Eagles too.no they didn't. I didn't hear that once...they have been right on the money so far. Last night they said he would not play against the Browns and Adam Shefter said he doesn't expect Nicks to play against the Eagles.

Fharcyde
10-04-2012, 04:22 PM

And by the way

Megatron
Larry Fitz
Roddy White
AJ Green
Victor Cruz
Brandon Marshall

All better than Nicks.

I like Nicks a lot. He's a good player and if he can kick the injury bug he may be a great player.
Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitgerald, Roddy White, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson and that's where I stop. If Hakeem Nicks isn't in these tier of receivers when healthy he's in an extremely close second.

Victor Cruz has one season under his belt. Mike Wallace is likely on the same level as Nicks but he's made from a different mold. Brandon Marshall isn't worth the drama to 75% of the league. Greg Jennings has injury problems of his own. Wes Welker benefits from a Hall of Fame quarterback and a team that passes the ball forty or more times every game. As talented as Dwayne Bowe is, he drops just as many touchdown as he catches. And I'm not even going to begin comparing the rest of the league's #2's with our #1 guy. Hakeem Nicks is an elite talent.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:23 PM
no they didn't I didn't hear that once...

They sat him versus the Panthers to give him two weeks so that hopefully he would play against the Eagles. And now he's not even playing against the Browns. Nobody even knew about the knee until Eagles week, up until that point it was all about the foot.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Fharcyde;517173]Wes Welker benefits from a Hall of Fame quarterback and a team that passes the ball forty or more times every game. QUOTE]

Isn't this exactly what the Giants are?

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
They sat him versus the Panthers to give him two weeks so that hopefully he would play against the Eagles. And now he's not even playing against the Browns. Nobody even knew about the knee until Eagles week, up until that point it was all about the foot.Exactly and when he found that out on Thursday and once they found that out they ruled him out. I am willing to bet 1000 dollars Nicks plays against the 49ers if he does what he supposed to and rest.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitgerald, Roddy White, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson and that's where I stop. If Hakeem Nicks isn't in these tier of receivers when healthy he's in an extremely close second.

Victor Cruz has one season under his belt. Mike Wallace is likely on the same level as Nicks but he's made from a different mold. Brandon Marshall isn't worth the drama to 75% of the league. Greg Jennings has injury problems of his own. Wes Welker benefits from a Hall of Fame quarterback and a team that passes the ball forty or more times every game. As talented as Dwayne Bowe is, he drops just as many touchdown as he catches. And I'm not even going to begin comparing the rest of the league's #2's with our #1 guy. Hakeem Nicks is an elite talent.I would even say he is better then AJ and Roody just because he beasted in the playoffs and last year both of those guys were no where to be found.

Fharcyde
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
What does that prove exactly? The Giants WRs have never been strong, this is the best they have had. So Nicks might be the best Giant WR ever. That's like saying Josh Freeman might be the best Bucs QB ever. A statement that may sound impressive but then you look to see who you are comparing him too and its much less impressive.
Even comparing him to any other receiver in the league he is a top ten talent. Simply compare him to receivers in his own draft class and there might be one (Mike Wallace) that you'd want more than him. Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, Darius Heyward-Bey, Kenny Britt, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6700453

There's no date on this article, but it's obviously a year or so old. By now the debate would be Mike Wallace vs. Hakeem Nicks. And I can't really listen to John Clayton because I think he'd an idiot. Almost everyone in the media is biased against the Giants and will do anything to point out the negatives to any side of a story.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Exactly and when he found that out on Thursday and once they found that out they ruled him out I am willing to bet 1000 dollars Nicks plays against the 49ers if he does what he supposed to and rest.

Don't bet money you don't have.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I would even say he is better then AJ and Roody just because he beasted in the playoffs and last year both of those guys were no where to be found.

And its official. You don't know what you are talking about.

Talk to any sane Giants fan and they would even take AJ Green over Hakeem Nicks. No question.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Don't bet money you don't have.lol oh now your going to be butthurt you really didn't have to go there and I won't put my personal stuff out there but I bet I'll have more money then you could ever make I said it's your opinion on Nicks all I said is that just because he is hurt this season doesn't mean he isn't going to demand the big bucks calm down buddy.....

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Even comparing him to any other receiver in the league he is a top ten talent. Simply compare him to receivers in his own draft class and there might be one (Mike Wallace) that you'd want more than him. Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, Darius Heyward-Bey, Kenny Britt, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6700453

There's no date on this article, but it's obviously a year or so old. By now the debate would be Mike Wallace vs. Hakeem Nicks. And I can't really listen to John Clayton because I think he'd an idiot. Almost everyone in the media is biased against the Giants and will do anything to point out the negatives to any side of a story.

I think when healthy he is a fringe top 10. Which is still really good. But it seems like he is always nursing something even when he is supposedly healthy. Out of the Giant WRs, I take Cruz over him any day of the week.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:47 PM
lol oh now your going to be butthurt you really didn't have to go there and I won't put my personal stuff out there but I bet I'll have more money then you could ever make I said it's your opinion on Nicks all I said is that just because he is hurt this season doesn't mean he isn't going to demand the big bucks calm down buddy.....

If you have as much money as you say you do, perhaps its time to buy a comma or period. Your run-on sentences are hurting my eyes.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Talk to any sane Giants fan and they would even take AJ Green over Hakeem Nicks. No question.Why don't you just chill bro I never said you didn't know what your talking about but since you want to go there what has those two done that Nicks hasn't please inform me mr. know it all???? And I doubt that ANY Giants fan would take them over Nicks if not for the simple fact that we won the SB with the damn guy but yeah keep thinking Nicks is a 10-20 wr in the NFL and I don't know what I'm talking about...

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
If you have as much money as you say you do, perhaps its time to buy a comma or period. Your run-on sentences are hurting my eyes.oh what's a matter you can't take the truth this a MB bro it's not a freakin government document, grow up, not everyone has to agree with you...

JesseJames
10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
its true. that is one small positive that comes from this.

but i dont think nicks is as hurt as some (buddy) around here say. i'd bet he returns for the SF game. pretty much every nfl player would aggravate their knees if they went from strict rest all week, to full bore on gamedays...he'll be alright. but that is a good bargaining chip altho it could also work against us bc Nicks could believe he is worth x amount of dollars and JR believes he's worth y amount, and JR wont overpay for any FA from his past dealings...so...

If JR didn't find a way to resign Nicks he'd be looking for a job himself.

Fharcyde
If you have as much money as you say you do, perhaps its time to buy a comma or period. Your run-on sentences are hurting my eyes.
http://www.theresourcetank.com/wp-content/uploads/bang.gif

I'll have Hakeem Nicks over Victor Cruz. We'll see how Cruz does in season two, but in my opinion his numbers last year were a lot to do with the double coverage Nicks was seeing.

Riverboat76
Why don't you just chill bro I never said you didn't know what your talking about but since you want to go there what has those two done that Nicks hasn't please inform me mr. know it all???? And I doubt that ANY Giants fan would take them over Nicks if not for the simple fact that we won the SB with the damn guy but yeah keep thinking Nicks is a 10-20 wr in the NFL and I don't know what I'm talking about...

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Does this make him better than Dan Marino? Your SB argument is irrelevant here.

Put AJ Green on the Giants with Eli and he averages 100 yards and a TD per game for the season. And those numbers may be low.

Riverboat76
10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
http://www.theresourcetank.com/wp-content/uploads/bang.gif

I'll have Hakeem Nicks over Victor Cruz. We'll see how Cruz does in season two, but in my opinion his numbers last year were a lot to do with the double coverage Nicks was seeing.

It's debateable. Cruz is more explosive. More dependable healthwise at this point. Nicks is bigger, has great hands. They certainly make a good combo, no denying that.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Does this make him better than Dan Marino? Your SB argument is irrelevant here.

Put AJ Green on the Giants with Eli and he averages 100 yards and a TD per game for the season. And those numbers may be low. Your hopeless...I know it isn't about just SB's. It is about how much he demands a double team and how he still puts up 1000 yards receiving years even when missing games. My point is he is as good or if not better then all those guys mentioned. Nicks is big time and I wouldn't let trade him for anybody. Hakeem Nicks opens everything up for Cruz. You seen what happens when they both are on the field they are almost unstoppable and I just think that you saying cause he is injured all the time so he is not a top 10 wr is wrong.

G-MenStomping
10-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Nicks is a stud and i dont care what anyone eles thinks,i watch him play all the time and i dont see how he isnt top 5 WR..

GMENAGAIN
10-04-2012, 05:04 PM
lol oh now your going to be butthurt you really didn't have to go there and I won't put my personal stuff out there but I bet I'll have more money then you could ever make I said it's your opinion on Nicks all I said is that just because he is hurt this season doesn't mean he isn't going to demand the big bucks calm down buddy.....

You are quickly becoming the biggest ******* on this MB . . . . .

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
You are quickly becoming the biggest ******* on this MB . . . . . Think what you want but I think to a lot of people you already hold that card.

TheEnigma
10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Nicks is a stud but A.J. Green certainly deserves to be in a conversation about being a better receiver. They're actually very similar in terms of playing style but A.J. Green's height advantage and slightly better speed give him the nod. It's not really a diss on Nicks considering Green was a #4 overall pick and was sort of expected to breakthrough and become a top player on the Bengals.

Eliscruzzz
10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Nicks is a stud but A.J. Green certainly deserves to be in a conversation about being a better receiver. They're actually very similar in terms of playing style but A.J. Green's height advantage and slightly better speed give him the nod. It's not really a diss on Nicks considering Green was a #4 overall pick and was sort of expected to breakthrough and become a top player on the Bengals.I won't argue with that, but I think with Nicks experience and the #'s he has put up in the regular season and his post season to me has to be ahead of AJ.

Die-Hard
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Stop the attacks on each other. Not gonna say it again

foosball
10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
He's going to cost top dollar either way. There is no silver lining here. We need him to play.

Captain Chaos
10-05-2012, 05:45 AM
I agree that Nicks injury history will hurt his ability to get the big money; however, he will still want to get paid. With Cruz, JPP, Bennett, Beatty and a bunch of others coming up as FAs next year it will be interesting to see who stays and who goes. If Reese stays true to form they all may test the market...

Diamondring
10-05-2012, 05:54 AM

If Nicks had a monster year he would be in line for a HUGE contract. He would probably be looking for something just short of Larry Fitz money. Given the Giants have to take care of Cruz with JPP (highest paid defender ever?) on the horizon, I don't know if they would have sprung for that. Now Nicks can't possibly expect a monster contract mainly because of his injury history. Certainly he is due a raise, but it shouldn't be a cap-crippling contract. This way we can keep both Cruz and Nicks for years to come.A player who is injured all of the time is no good for the Giants. Also it shows how terrible you are to think that a person getting hurt is a positive. I love the Giants cause they are my team but I am also a fan of Nicks and hope that he doesn
t get hurt that much. I hope he does get money but I don't think he should get Fitz like money cause we have Cruz who is a real good receiver as well. Both of them maybe should get 5 mil a year deal if both can stay healthy.

We have another high pick in Randle and the Giants really didn't use him that much. I think that if the Giants can't keep Nicks, then they can use Randle enough.

TuckandRolle
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Eliscruzzz you have abominated this thread. If you didn't know Nicks was scheduled to play against the Eagles than you weren't listening. Riverboat has you on every argument. This is a forum of Giants fans. Not a rambling arena of drawn out sentences.

Just because you and Adam Schefter think Nicks is playing against the 49ers doesn't make it true. I for one don't think Shefter is a solid source for G-Men insight, I'd much prefer Glazer. I don't think that Nicks will be on the field against the 49ers because of what I've been told. I'll call it an educated guess because of my sources, I'm thinking the Skins is looking for realistic.

Riverboat76
10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
A player who is injured all of the time is no good for the Giants. Also it shows how terrible you are to think that a person getting hurt is a positive. I love the Giants cause they are my team but I am also a fan of Nicks and hope that he doesn
t get hurt that much. I hope he does get money but I don't think he should get Fitz like money cause we have Cruz who is a real good receiver as well. Both of them maybe should get 5 mil a year deal if both can stay healthy.

We have another high pick in Randle and the Giants really didn't use him that much. I think that if the Giants can't keep Nicks, then they can use Randle enough.

You havent read anything I have said, obviously.

And if you think we are signing Nicks and Cruz to long-term contracts averaging only 5mil/ year each, you've got a rude awakening headed your way.

SuperNYGiants
10-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Lets not get crazy here. He's not a once in a decade talent. He is a very good player but not transcendant. He hasn't broken 1200 yards recieving once (Cruz hit 1500 last year alone) in part because of his injuries. And the injuries will count at contract time. The Giants may franchise him or perhaps he gets Desean Jackson money but if he misses most of this year there is no way they break the bank for him.
Nicks is an all-time great Giant WR, that says it all. It's fine if you think Cruz is better than Nicks based on yardage but to me Nicks does more things better than Cruz, and Cruz still needs to prove some. Nicks is just big time clutch WR, look at 2011 postseason, Nicks is clearly better than Cruz.

Nicks 28 rec 444 yards 15.9 avg 4 TD
Cruz 21 rec 269 yards 12.8 avg 1 TD

If the Giants use the injury card as an excuse to not re-sign or low-ball Nicks, it's only going to benefit another team that does get him. So this injury thing helping the Giants' case is not really true. Nicks will get the money somewhere no matter what.

TuckandRolle
10-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm hopeful we can retain them both. #InReeseWeTrust.

Nicks has the intangibles that most receivers lack in this league. Him and Cruz are great friends and amazing players to have in the locker room. I believe our next draft will focus mainly on the O-Line issues we are seeing, with out first round pick focusing on secondary...probably adding a Cb or S. Phillips is in a contract year this year as is Osi. As much as I hate to say it, in order to pay Cruz initially we may have to let Phillips go.

I'm hopeful Will Hill can keep developing so as well as some of our other safeties so we can at least sustain without Phillips. After this year and this off season, I firmly believe Reese's main goal will be to retain Nicks.

giantsfan420
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
you already have that on lock tho, ha jk. take it easy on elicruz, hes just passionate and dislikes when people devalue his opinion

TuckandRolle
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM

LOL!! I didn't say it!

giantsfan420
10-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Eliscruzzz you have abominated this thread. If you didn't know Nicks was scheduled to play against the Eagles than you weren't listening. Riverboat has you on every argument. This is a forum of Giants fans. Not a rambling arena of drawn out sentences.

Just because you and Adam Schefter think Nicks is playing against the 49ers doesn't make it true. I for one don't think Shefter is a solid source for G-Men insight, I'd much prefer Glazer. I don't think that Nicks will be on the field against the 49ers because of what I've been told. I'll call it an educated guess because of my sources, I'm thinking the Skins is looking for realistic.
its not shefter tho, he's just reporting what the giants said. and what the giants have said was 100% opposite of what u said, therefore u are wrong. thats not me trying to be personal, but its the truth. u tried saying u can see where he tore his pcl by watching it on the tv lol as well as this "source" u have...well all that doesnt change the fact that u and ur source were wrong...

giantsfan420
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
and nicks participated in practice fyi. and ralph vacciano also reported the same thing shefter did sooo well yeah

Buddy333
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
When I see Nicks in his pads before the 49ers game I will believe it. These inside guys have been wrong before. Remember when Eli was supposed to miss some time back in 2007 because of a shoulder injury? How many games did he miss?

BuffyBlueII
10-05-2012, 02:35 PM
There is no positive to Hakeem Nicks being hurt no matter how you look at it.

Hakeem Nicks will get top dollar and we will pay him. He is our best receiver and we can't afford to lose him.

I bELIeve.

Diamondring
10-05-2012, 02:37 PM
You havent read anything I have said, obviously.

And if you think we are signing Nicks and Cruz to long-term contracts averaging only 5mil/ year each, you've got a rude awakening headed your way.I did. You said it was a positive that he is hurt when it is not. As for signing both players, it can be done cause Osi is not a big factor any more and will be gone so some of that money can go to Nicks. Defense does not have to be perfect and it is hard to find a perfect one. Sometimes offense can be a good defense by keeping the margin high. With Nicks and Cruz together, with some other receiver is all we need. If one of our backs can be a great threat in the passing game, then we don't need a third good wr.

giantsfan420
10-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Talk to any sane Giants fan and they would even take AJ Green over Hakeem Nicks. No question.

u do realize he's just sharing his opinion right? and that he even prefaced that he was aware u both have ur opinions and he feels ur opinion is wrong. u and rollentuck really need to act more mature, this whole mocking ppl with diff opinions is getting old...all i have seen so far is elicruz try to express his opinion and why he feels urs is wrong, and i've seen now several posts where u are attacking him, not his opinion. grow up

giantsfan420
10-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Put AJ Green on the Giants with Eli and he averages 100 yards and a TD per game for the season. And those numbers may be low.

no, ur use of an exception to the rule is irrelevant. we've all heard the trent dilfer sb argument before. a qb who doesnt have to do anything n win a sb is the exception not the rule. just go by the last 10 sb winning qbs...

giantsfan420
10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Why don't you just chill bro I never said you didn't know what your talking about but since you want to go there what has those two done that Nicks hasn't please inform me mr. know it all???? And I doubt that ANY Giants fan would take them over Nicks if not for the simple fact that we won the SB with the damn guy but yeah keep thinking Nicks is a 10-20 wr in the NFL and I don't know what I'm talking about...

dont sweat it man. i at least can see how u've just been trying to talk football, while riverboat feels the need to attack u bc u have a diff opinion than him.

Riverboat76
10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
u do realize he's just sharing his opinion right? and that he even prefaced that he was aware u both have ur opinions and he feels ur opinion is wrong. u and rollentuck really need to act more mature, this whole mocking ppl with diff opinions is getting old...all i have seen so far is elicruz try to express his opinion and why he feels urs is wrong, and i've seen now several posts where u are attacking him, not his opinion. grow up

That's so cute that you are sticking up for folks, good for you. You're doing a terrific job policing the interwebs, keep it up! Anyways, you have really put me in the corner. Thank you for showing me the way.

Eliscruzzz
10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
It's alright, Riverboat got me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.I never attack him once but he felt the need to quickly attack my opinion, when other people in here have had the same opinion as me. Whatever, it's really starting to get annoying trying to talk football here with some people (not you g420), I guess next time I'll just keep my opinion to myself lol. This is the only MB I know where you express your opinion and people attack you like your a moron. It's funny too, cause when people start attacking your grammar, they usually have nothing else to fall back on.

TuckandRolle
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Unfortunate food for thought: Graziano with his opinion on the current WR situation

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/43977/nicks-injuries-cloud-his-giants-future

Eliscruzzz
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Unfortunate food for thought: Graziano with his opinion on the current WR situation

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/43977/nicks-injuries-cloud-his-giants-futureWell that is a decision the Giants will have to make but they really don't have to sign Cruz until 2014 he is a RFA and I'm pretty sure that when that time comes a lot of people will be let go. Also I really think when that time comes Eli will make his voice known that he wants to keep both.The Giants will find a way to keep both. They could let KP go, Rolle, or even Canty. who knows what Tuck will be thinking by then.