PDA

View Full Version : Are New York Giants' fans tapping out already?

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/06/are-new-york-giants-fans-tapping-out-already/

Excerpt: "There is absolutely no doubt that upon entering the 2012 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Season, New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants fans had set a high bar: Repeat. There is nothing wrong with that as Head Coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/) wanted to build on the strengths of how 2011 closed and the word continuity has been uttered more than fail has.

The concern at hand when setting sights so high is frustration can arrive faster than a waiver claim for a fantasy sleeper on a Sunday evening. Oh, that and some fans tend to seriously lose any ability to approach a situation with rational thought. Humor isn’t even close to being used and absurd and unfounded comments come through lips that usually part to scream pro-team clichés. Week 4’s painful loss to another division rival (the Philadelphia (http://www.giants101.com/tag/philadelphia/) Eagles) created some ugly ogres – either that or Mr. Hyde came out early from many." Read more...

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Thank goodness we don't see any evidence of that around here :popcorn:

GameTime
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
History is against the Giants to repeat. It just normally doesnt happen. While I want them to win every game I hold little hope at winning the SB this season. Not because I dont think they can but I am taking one game at a time knowing winning back to back SBs is an extremely hard thing to do. Its hard enough being a Giants fan week to week without putting the added pressure on myself thinking they "have" to reach and win the SB...

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:38 PM
History is against the Giants to repeat. It just normally doesnt happen. While I want them to win every game I hold little hope at winning the SB this season. Not because I dont think they can but I am taking one game at a time knowing winning back to back SBs is an extremely hard thing to do. Its hard enough being a Giants fan week to week without putting the added pressure on myself thinking they "have" to reach and win the SB...

They have to play better than they have been, that's for sure. It is clearly an uphill battle to get into the Super Bowl two years in a row, let alone win it.

Toadofsteel
10-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Do I expect us to repeat? Not in today's NFL.

Do I want the Giants to stop this "playing down to the competition" BS instead of making an obvious scrub team like the Eagles look like the freaking all-pro team? YES. STOP THIS...

Unfortunately,. that seems to be as much a part of the team's makeup as the Mara family.

joemorrisforprez
10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/06/are-new-york-giants-fans-tapping-out-already/

Excerpt: "There is absolutely no doubt that upon entering the 2012 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Season, New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants fans had set a high bar: Repeat. There is nothing wrong with that as Head Coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/) wanted to build on the strengths of how 2011 closed and the word continuity has been uttered more than fail has.

The concern at hand when setting sights so high is frustration can arrive faster than a waiver claim for a fantasy sleeper on a Sunday evening. Oh, that and some fans tend to seriously lose any ability to approach a situation with rational thought. Humor isn’t even close to being used and absurd and unfounded comments come through lips that usually part to scream pro-team clichés. Week 4’s painful loss to another division rival (the Philadelphia (http://www.giants101.com/tag/philadelphia/) Eagles) created some ugly ogres – either that or Mr. Hyde came out early from many." Read more...

I think many fans, including myself, were frustrated after the Philly loss.

I can speak only for myself, but I have never thrown in the towel on this team. That's alot different than *****ing and moaning about the team.....something I'll admit I do alot after a loss.

But that's only because of how much I love the G-Men. Of all the teams I root for, the Giants are the top of my list.

Toadofsteel
10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
I can speak only for myself, but I have never thrown in the towel on this team. That's alot different than *****ing and moaning about the team.....something I'll admit I do alot after a loss.

But that's only because of how much I love the G-Men. Of all the teams I root for, the Giants are the top of my list.

This. I want the TEAM to win, and that means putting the best men we have out there and having them all play their best. If everyone played 100%, every unit we have except the O-line would be the best of their respective units across the NFL. But they don't, the TEAM suffers, and the Eagles look like they're worth a damn instead of the classless baseless organization that they really are...

Buddy333
10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
It is extremely hard to repeat, but one team does it just about every decade. In the 70's It was the Steelers, the 80's the 49ers, the 90's it was Dallas, and to start the new millennium it was the Patriots. Still hoping the Giants could be that team in the 10's. Injuries are always a concern and they happen to every team but its ridiculous. They have 1 proven DT healthy and playing tomorrow, both starting Safeties are hurting, they don't have a single 100% healthy CB, 2 MLB's hurting, the WR group went from what I thought was the best in the NFL to extremely thin, and the OL that is not very good to begin with is all banged up now. If they do repeat Eli better be the MVP. He has a bad OL, no running game, and he has a new WR to throw at every week.

Toadofsteel
10-06-2012, 02:46 PM

This. I want the TEAM to win, and that means putting the best men we have out there and having them all play their best. If everyone was healthy and played 100%, every unit we have except the O-line would be the best of their respective units across the NFL. But they don't, the TEAM suffers, and the Eagles look like they're worth a damn instead of the classless baseless organization that they really are... Their only true talent on that team is McCoy, and yet they walk all over us in the second half...

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I think many fans, including myself, were frustrated after the Philly loss.

Come into the game day thread once and don't step in front of the path to the cliff at the first miscue. :o

SweetZombieJesus
10-06-2012, 02:47 PM

Yet isn't as rare as some around here think... In 46 Super Bowls there have been around a dozen teams who have repeated, an average of 2.5 times per decade.

Why not us?

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
This. I want the TEAM to win, and that means putting the best men we have out there and having them all play their best. If everyone was healthy and played 100%, every unit we have except the O-line would be the best of their respective units across the NFL. But they don't, the TEAM suffers, and the Eagles look like they're worth a damn instead of the classless baseless organization that they really are... Their only true talent on that team is McCoy, and yet they walk all over us in the second half...

That was a very disappointing aspect to the loss.

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Yet isn't as rare as some around here think... In 46 Super Bowls there have been around a dozen teams who have repeated, an average of 2.5 times per decade.

Why not us?

I'm with you

SweetZombieJesus
10-06-2012, 02:51 PM
It is extremely hard to repeat, but one team does it just about every decade. In the 70's It was the Steelers, the 80's the 49ers, the 90's it was Dallas, and to start the new millennium it was the Patriots.

I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.

Lombardi's Packers (technically 3x they won the last NFL championship)
Shula's Dolphins
Knoll's Steelers (twice)
Walsh's 49ers
Johnson's Cowboys
Shanahan's Broncos
Belichick's Patriots

So 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think. It means 16 of the 46 SBs have been consumed by repeats -- 1/3rd!!!

It's worse in that going back all the way, the Giants have played in somewhere around 20 championship games and have never gone back-to-back... Even the Eagles repeated in 1948-1949.

TheEnigma
10-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I really wish they would stop making this an age thing. I know plenty of people around my age that are die-hard fans of their teams and then friends of my folks who will stop watching their respective teams once they reach .350 or some win/loss ratio around there. This could very well be the last Superbowl that the Giants win in my lifetime and I'll appreciate every championship I've been able to witness. The season isn't over but I can understand the pessimism that we are already 0-2 in the divisional games.

Anyway, injuries seem to be the biggest thing hurting this team right now and it's not letting players get comfortable with one another when there are constant changes in the lineup.

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Sigh I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.

Shula's Dolphins
Knoll's Steelers (twice)
Walsh's 49ers
Johnson's Cowboys
Shanahan's Broncos
Belichick's Patriots

So 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think.

What about the Eagles? OH WAIT.....

Buddy333
10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Sigh I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.Lombardi's Packers (technically 3x they won the last NFL championship)Shula's Dolphins Knoll's Steelers (twice)Walsh's 49ersJohnson's CowboysShanahan's BroncosBelichick's PatriotsSo 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think.Forgot about the Broncos.

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I really wish they would stop making this an age thing. I know plenty of people around my age that are die-hard fans of their teams and then friends of my folks who will stop watching their respective teams once they reach .350 or some win/loss ratio around there. This could very well be the last Superbowl that the Giants win in my lifetime and I'll appreciate every championship I've been able to witness. The season isn't over but I can understand the pessimism that we are already 0-2 in the divisional games.

Anyway, injuries seem to be the biggest thing hurting this team right now and it's not letting players get comfortable with one another when there are constant changes in the lineup.

True, but injuries are always going to be a factor, as they were last year. That's where your depth determines the outcome.

Toadofsteel
10-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Same here. the Age thign is actually quite funny for me, since I was born in 1988... I don't have any memory of watching Simms or Taylor play for us and my first memory of the Giants was Dave Brown throwing it up for grabs. So while I didn't endure 30 years of terrible teams, I did have to deal with my team being bad while watching Aikman get his 3 super bowls... there were more Cowboys fans in my NJ elementary school than Giants fans at that time. Now we have a squad that has the potential to be the best in the NFL in the long-term, and they're squandering it. Yeah I'm a little annoyed...

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I guess I have to break out the sports almanac.

Shula's Dolphins
Knoll's Steelers (twice)
Walsh's 49ers
Johnson's Cowboys
Shanahan's Broncos
Belichick's Patriots

So 8x there have been repeat champs. Not common but not as rare as we think.

It's worse in that going back all the way, the Giants have played in somewhere around 20 championship games and have never gone back-to-back... Even the Eagles repeated in 1948-1949.

HEY, we're talking SUper Bowls, take the Eagles off your post lol

SuperNYGiants
10-06-2012, 03:19 PM
It certainly doesn't apply to me as I would watch the likes of Danny Kannell and Dave Brown play fully knowing that the team is not going anywhere.

As for this team and my expectations, I didn't really automatically expect them to repeat, because of their regular season was hardly a dominant one. What I did expect was to have a winning record and make the playoffs.

How they came out in the season opener vs. Dallas sure was deflating, and seeing how bad Dallas really is, it feels worse now.
But I think it's too early to judge this team and where they really belong even if they lose to Browns. I would say everything will be clear by the week 11 bye week. Giants would be either making a final push for a playoff spot, or looking ahead to the 2013 draft.

Rudyy
10-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Tapping out is for wussies.

However, the most frustrating thing is seeing teams we SHOULD beat roll all over us, and then they go back to sucking the next week.
Why do we always make bad teams look good? So frustrating.

jomo
10-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Pretty dumb article

JMGGIANTS
10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Sure Sunday evenings loss was very frustrating especially for me when I consider we already had a 44 yd FG lines up so I expected to see a run to get hopeully another 4-5 yards. I was very surprised to see us go long down the sidelines. Enough of that...

Last year taught me a valuable lesson about the G Men. Never give up on them within reason and after 4 games any Giant fan giving up or being too critical of the Giants just hasn't acuquired any wisdom about the NY Giants. We will be fine, sure we have lost 7 or 8 of 9 against Philly but as one Eagle fan wrote in the NY Daily I would trade that record for 2 SB's in 5 years any day of the week.

giantsfan420
10-06-2012, 03:32 PM
i like the article, but i dislike how the author attributes the negative qualities to newer fans, as if the old school fans get a pass. well i've found that any sort of fan, old or young, can let their emotions get the better of them. while I admit the older fans generally have a higher threshold of tough times, lets not pretend like we haven't seen old school fans here act...a bit, well, overdramatic? melodramatic? cant find the right word...

joemorrisforprez
10-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Come into the game day thread once and don't step in front of the path to the cliff at the first miscue. :o

LOL......on gameday, I'm a bundle of nerves when I watch the team. And when they lose, I need some time to just mellow out. So I usually don't post here until at least a day later after a loss.

joemorrisforprez
10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
It certainly doesn't apply to me as I would watch the likes of Danny Kannell and Dave Brown play fully knowing that the team is not going anywhere.

As for this team and my expectations, I didn't really automatically expect them to repeat, because of their regular season was hardly a dominant one. What I did expect was to have a winning record and make the playoffs.

How they came out in the season opener vs. Dallas sure was deflating, and seeing how bad Dallas really is, it feels worse now.
But I think it's too early to judge this team and where they really belong even if they lose to Browns. I would say everything will be clear by the week 11 bye week. Giants would be either making a final push for a playoff spot, or looking ahead to the 2013 draft.

Great point.....any Giants fan who survived the Dave Brown Era (or "Error") can never be accused of tapping out.

TheEnigma
10-06-2012, 03:36 PM
i like the article, but i dislike how the author attributes the negative qualities to newer fans, as if the old school fans get a pass. well i've found that any sort of fan, old or young, can let their emotions get the better of them. while I admit the older fans generally have a higher threshold of tough times, lets not pretend like we haven't seen old school fans here act...a bit, well, overdramatic? melodramatic? cant find the right word...

Exactly. I was waiting for Jen to move on to how those dang kids never get off her front lawn or how she doesn't understand music these days.

jomo
10-06-2012, 03:36 PM
i like the article, but i dislike how the author attributes the negative qualities to newer fans, as if the old school fans get a pass. well i've found that any sort of fan, old or young, can let their emotions get the better of them. while I admit the older fans generally have a higher threshold of tough times, lets not pretend like we haven't seen old school fans here act...a bit, well, overdramatic? melodramatic? cant find the right word...Well, you nailed it. I think it's a dumb article because it starts with artificial an premise which isn't close to the truth. There are old school pessimists and new school pessimists. And there are people who panic all the time. I think, as a group, we are reacting about as expected given our 2-2 record and a couple of disappointing division losses. Go Blue!

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 03:55 PM
LOL......on gameday, I'm a bundle of nerves when I watch the team. And when they lose, I need some time to just mellow out. So I usually don't post here until at least a day later after a loss.

That is normal, we all do that. It has nothing to do with one's chronological age.

GameTime
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Great point.....any Giants fan who survived the Dave Brown Era (or "Error") can never be accused of tapping out.
and those were even the worst days at all.

GameTime
10-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Why not us?
I agree they can make a go is and have the peices to do it. But after 9-7 season and even at 2.5 perdecade like you said its still a tall order.
I go game by game anf if the get into the playoffs then it becomes a new season.

RoanokeFan
10-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree they can make a go is and have the peices to do it. But after 9-7 season and even at 2.5 perdecade like you said its still a tall order.
I go game by game anf if the get into the playoffs then it becomes a new season.

Tall order, that's why we have Ramses Barden :)

GameTime
10-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Tall order, that's why we have Ramses Barden :)
that was lame.......:o

NYG4lifeNYK
10-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Some definitely are...(buddy) but that's a very very slim percentage.

We could go 1-15 for the next 5 years and I'll still root as hard as ever.

I'm a DIEHARD Giants fan.... oh and a DIEHARD Knicks fan.... yea :o

But I'm also a DIEHARD Yankees fan :D

JesseJames
10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
my biggest frustration with the team is the inconsistency, we just don't seem to play at the same level of intensity and this has been going on for years now, we just never know which Giant team is going to show up for the game if they show up at all...

BParcells777
10-06-2012, 05:16 PM
the only one who can beat the Giants is the Giants themselves.........man for man on a talent level through the entire 53 there is no better team out there.

Right now I would nominate Eli for League MVP and likely the #1 QB in the NFL......no one is playing better than him.

So far in their two losses they gave us a lackluster performance. By and large we should be able to handle Dallas and Philly, but for some strange reason we do not show up against these two teams lately (or the Skins).

Captain Chaos
10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
This is New York the cup is always half empty!

Toadofsteel
10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Some definitely are...(buddy) but that's a very very slim percentage.

We could go 1-15 for the next 5 years and I'll still root as hard as ever.

I'm a DIEHARD Giants fan.... oh and a DIEHARD Knicks fan.... yea :o

But I'm also a DIEHARD Yankees fan :D

If we went 1-15, I'd want our coach's head, and I'd want some serious improvement. That's because I love this organization that the Mara family has created over the generations, not the individuals in it. Those that say "You should respect webster/tuck/bradshaw/diehl/etc for his body of work and allow him to continue starting" when he's obviously lost a step are fans of the players over the organization. Their body of work has been put into the books, to be remembered forever in the highlight reels. But nobody stays young and healthy forever. Eventually, even Eli must retire. But I will still be a Giants fan regardless.

And frankly, I'm getting tired of people saying "TC/KG/etc should be given a free berth because he has 2 Super Bowls". But TC is not larger than the Giants organization. I hope that he has the introspection to know when it's time to call it quits, but if he ever stopped trying on the job and refused to step down, I would call for his head in an instant. Same with any of the players. NONE of them are bigger than the organization, not even Eli or TC.

And besides, TC seems to produce his best work when he's on the hot seat, so why not do our duty as fans of the organization and constantly put him there?

bigjeep
10-06-2012, 06:18 PM

Agreed!

Eli TO Shockey
10-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I know these giants all too well. Until we are elimated from playoff contention, I will be on board. This team plays their best football with their back against the wall, unfortunately.

FBomb
10-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I think the majority are just venting because we lost to 2 inferior teams. We were 9-7 going into the playoffs last year and had some head scratching losses....if you're jumping ship now, you were never really on board.

Drez
10-06-2012, 06:38 PM

The only thing I expect out of this group of Giants is a playoff appearance. This group is talented enough where I don't think that that is an unreasonable expectation.

CowboysSuck
10-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah, the age thing is a load of BS. I'm "only" 22 years old so I suppose I am considered a 'younger' fan. But I am as die-hard as it gets in sports fandom. My father raised me to like..Love 2 teams and 2 teams only. The New York Gaints the Boston Red Sox. Since about age 6 I have never waivered from these two teams and never will.

I have learned from him what being a Giants fan was like pre-1985. He and my grandmother taught me what being a Red Sox fan was like pre-2003. I understand the history and I respect it. I realize I am lucky to see my teams win.

I think what should be noted is the dbag 'bandwagon' fans. Regardless of age, these are the worst sports fans off all. Worse than a loyal Eagles fan. Worse (for me) than a loyal Yankees fan. Bandwagon fans are a disgrace to fandom. But such is life...

By the way I am a Giants/Red Sox fan because my father grew up in Manchester, NH in the 50's. There were no Patriots, it was Giants and Red Sox territory. Another ****ty fact: my grandmother was a life long die-hard sox fan and passed away in the middle of the 2004 ALCS between the Sox and Yanks. I gotta pay homage and be a sox fan

Conclusion: Its not the young fans, its the Bandwagon, I mean ***wagon Fans.... and they can eat ****

giantsfan420
10-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I think the majority are just venting because we lost to 2 inferior teams. We were 9-7 going into the playoffs last year and had some head scratching losses....if you're jumping ship now, you were never really on board.

nicely said

BillTheGreek
10-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I know this does not help our standing, but we all know that we should have beat Dallas & the Eagles. And we would be 4 and 0, But I think at this point of the season, let them get focused and start winning games one at a time . Starting tommorrow, I know the next time we meet the Cowgirls and Eagles, they know that we will be out to get them,AND WE WILL.
GO GIANTS !

Flip Empty
10-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Do I expect us to repeat? Not in today's NFL.

Do I want the Giants to stop this "playing down to the competition" BS instead of making an obvious scrub team like the Eagles look like the freaking all-pro team? YES. STOP THIS...

Unfortunately,. that seems to be as much a part of the team's makeup as the Mara family.
Yeah I've just come to accept it. They are what they are. Nothing they do is surprising because they've done it all before.

BParcells777
10-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Get used to it.........we had one innovative OC in the last 25 years- Sean Peyton.......they sent him packing but quick
We have had 3 very good DC's- Spagnuolo, Nolan and John Fox........all left as soon as they became accomplished

Our HC choices other than Bill and Tom have been abysmal, and Parcells only became innovative when he gained some measure of success

Its kind of amazing we have had all the success we have had playing everything so close to the vest

If Eli had not blossomed when he did we might still be looking for Lombardi #3

brad
10-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I have been a die-hard fan since the early 80's, I have seen some pretty bad years, but I have also been fortunate to see 5 Super Bowls, 4 of those wins. This team, when healthy, is still as good as any of those SB teams, if not better. The injury bug seems to hit the Giants hard every year, but... if they can win the games they should win until they start getting healthy, there is no team in the league they don't have the ability to beat later in the season.

I am not a "rah rah" type of fan, I have no problem criticizing when I am unhappy with their play, but jumping off the bandwagon is never an option.

BlueSanta
10-07-2012, 03:30 AM
I do not think Giants fans have been that bad at all. There are some people who are being absurd for sure, but you cannot mistake the people who want and know we can do better with the people who whine about every little thing.

What is so frustrating about this team is you just have no idea which version is going to show up. Will it be the superbowl champs that went through 1 of the toughest playoffs runs in SB history? Or, will it be the team the Eagles got the edge on despite committing no blockers to the defensive end?

In truth, the only thing we can usually expect from this team is that we will play to the level of our competition. That can be very frustrating to watch.

Rat_bastich
10-07-2012, 03:36 AM
I don't think the fans are anymore irrational than any other team's fans. I do think that they are more passionate, especially when they don't feel that the team left everything on the field.

As said before I wish the Giants would just come out an dominate a team on a regular instead of one weak win by 1-3 points, lose by a few, win by alot, win again by 1-3, etc.

JesseJames
10-07-2012, 10:33 AM

I doubt if anybody is "jumping ship" I think its just normal frustration and disappointment at seeing 2 lackluster performances within the division

GCGiant
10-07-2012, 10:39 AM
RF...congrats on Moderator. When did this happen and are we less 1 mod now?

RoanokeFan
10-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Get used to it.........we had one innovative OC in the last 25 years- Sean Peyton.......they sent him packing but quick
We have had 3 very good DC's- Spagnuolo, Nolan and John Fox........all left as soon as they became accomplished

Our HC choices other than Bill and Tom have been abysmal, and Parcells only became innovative when he gained some measure of success

Its kind of amazing we have had all the success we have had playing everything so close to the vest

If Eli had not blossomed when he did we might still be looking for Lombardi #3

How many losing seasons have we had under Gilbride?

RoanokeFan
10-07-2012, 10:46 AM
RF...congrats on Moderator. When did this happen and are we less 1 mod now?

It actually happened at the transition but I'm shy so I kept it quiet for a bit. We have the same number of mods we had before the transition.

BigBlueAllDay
10-07-2012, 10:50 AM
It's the New York fanbase in general. Expectations will run high and disappointments are abound. A win will be glorified and a loss will be criticized with very few in-between. Nothing new nothing surprising. Congrats to RF as well.

GCGiant
10-07-2012, 10:51 AM
It actually happened at the transition but I'm shy so I kept it quiet for a bit. We have the same number of mods we had before the transition.

Not that it matters, but I was just curious if someone who was mod before has retired or whatever.

njersey
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM

I've been a Giants fan far too long to worry about a few losses or even a bad year. Remember my first 11 years as a fan, we didn't make the playoffs.