PDA

View Full Version : Tuck living on Rep?

bebil10
10-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Last year Tuck did next to nothing and the excuse was that he was injured. What is the excuse this year. He has not looked any better this year. He had a few very good years for us, but I am wondering if he is ever going to be a star player again or if his reputation is what is keeping him on the field. It certainly isn't production.

CowboysSuck
10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
This coaching staff is more loyal to their vets than any team in the history of teams. Great for a couple years? Awesome, starting role handed to you until you decide to retire. Screw up 1 play as a rookie? Awesome, you wont see the field until next year.

Genius, isn't it?

CowboysSuck
10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
To answer your question, no. Tuck is a certified gap filler and will never get more than 6 sacks in a year again.

slipknottin
10-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I still think its very likely Tuck retires after this season. His body is just broken down, he can not physically do what he used to.

Everyone thinks when a player isnt as good as he once was that he is lazy or doesnt care, and I just dont think thats the case with tuck.

nhpgiantsfan
10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
He is def playing very old. He knows it too. You can tell by his body language. The only fire he ever shows is in his pre game speech when the cameras are on him.

Cloud57
10-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Just looking at his facial expression, you know he doesn't want to be there.

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I still think its very likely Tuck retires after this season. His body is just broken down, he can not physically do what he used to.

Everyone thinks when a player isnt as good as he once was that he is lazy or doesnt care, and I just dont think thats the case with tuck.His whole deal just speculates that after he got tripped by Flozell Adams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1469), He has not been the same. Anyone on this message board would do the samething, Play until you cant. But in this aspect he is hurting the team more than helping at this point. I love the guy...........have his jersey........but it is time to retire if you cant help and only hurt the team at this point.

slipknottin
10-06-2012, 08:17 PM
His whole deal just speculates that after he got tripped by Flozell Adams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1469), He has not been the same. Anyone on this message board would do the samething, Play until you cant. But in this aspect he is hurting the team more than helping at this point. I love the guy...........have his jersey........but it is time to retire if you cant help and only hurt the team at this point.

Hes still a very good run defender. He just can not offer much as a pass rusher anymore.

RagTime Blue
10-06-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't think Tuck will retire. . .there's far too much money at stake.

I do think that he should not be Captain anymore. Let him worry about his play, and not the whole unit and speaking for others. He'll always be a leader, but I think he just needs to focus on being a player again.

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-06-2012, 09:09 PM

I do think that he should not be Captain anymore. Let him worry about his play, and not the whole unit and speaking for others. He'll always be a leader, but I think he just needs to focus on being a player again.I am not sure taking that step would not make him go further into thinking he is NOT performing. He is a major veteran player on this team and I believe taking that step would just add salt to injury.

Captain Chaos
10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm not buying a lot of this, I think the Defenses that we have played have done a good job of getting rid of the ball early and working on our ends. after 4 games I'm not sure I would throw the towel in on Tuck....

slipknottin
10-06-2012, 09:24 PM

He only has one year left on his contract.

B&RWarrior
10-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Granted, he's not playing like he has in the past, but exactly who do you have in mind to replace him that will exceed his ability to play the run and pass? Say what you will, he is still the 2nd best DE on this team even with his decreased effectiveness. If his lack of production continues then I think we will draft a DE. We might draft a DE anyway b/c JPP is the one DE that is young and productive and one good DE is not enough. Osi and Tuck are old and I think we keep Kiwi at LB. If it were up to me I'd put Kiwi back at DE and make him lift weights and get strong enough to be the dominant DE he has the natural ability to be. Kiwi adn JPP both play RE though.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
10-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Giants need to think about drafting a DE early ago, Osi is gone and Tuck is washed! Osi & Tuck have games were they look like world beaters and then they have game were u dont even know they are in the game.

CowboysSuck
10-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Ill give Tuck way more of a pass than Osi. Tuck doesnt get pushed off the line of scrimmage. If anything, my only carp on him is his failure at getting to the QB...just 1 of the 2 aspects of the position and he actually may have a legitimate excuse about the opposing teams planning etc.

As for Osi, he has done neither. He get pushed off the line of scrimmage on running plays and on pass plays if the LT does as much as put a finger on Osi he gets no pressure. Hes a shell of his former self. never quite the same since his injury..

nycisgreat
10-07-2012, 01:30 AM
His whole deal just speculates that after he got tripped by Flozell Adams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1469), He has not been the same. Anyone on this message board would do the samething, Play until you cant. But in this aspect he is hurting the team more than helping at this point. I love the guy...........have his jersey........but it is time to retire if you cant help and only hurt the team at this point.

I agree. Flozel screwed him up. Hasn't been the same since that tripping incident.

JPP=BEASTMODE
10-07-2012, 02:00 AM
They have no swag left.

RagTime Blue
10-07-2012, 02:40 AM
I am not sure taking that step would not make him go further into thinking he is NOT performing. He is a major veteran player on this team and I believe taking that step would just add salt to injury.

I don't think he should be stripped of his captaincy. TC doesn't do things like that. I think he should do the smart thing and step down. It's not admitting defeat, it's called prioritizing. Because for all his leadership and interviews, speeches and commercials, he's most valuable to the Giants as a DE. Maybe all this other stuff is too much.

A drowning man helps nobody as a lifeguard.

Hessian
10-07-2012, 04:08 AM
He still stuffs the run, this board panics about everything. who's gonna replace him? Let me know so I can laugh for a bit. You guys make it sound like he's walking with a cane and robbing people for extravagant amounts of monies.

Redeyejedi
10-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Everyone thinks when a player isnt as good as he once was that he is lazy or doesnt care, and I just dont think thats the case with tuck.I agree . U can see it in his body language. He wants to be that guy but his body just isnt cooperating. Its a huge blow to this team. I dont think they were prepared for him to decline this quickly. I think he plays out his contract through next season however

Redeyejedi
10-07-2012, 09:58 AM
He only has one year left on his contract. Not only that but would u give Tuck an extension?

hungrrrry
10-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I am open to bringing Ojomo in to take reps from Tuck

GiantRoc
10-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I think that if Ojomo was ready or able to play, He would be in there more. To be honest, Justin was never a huge pass rushing DE anyway. He has always been a great run stopper though. To the best of my recollection, most of his sacks have come from when he has lined up as a DT. When we first really began to notice Tuck, it was the ' 07 season. Particularly in the SB push. He was playing DT at that time, if I remember correctly. He moved to DE to fill for Strahan when he retired. I don't know if its injury or emotion thats wrong with Justin. Maybe he needs anti-depression meds. Who knows. Justin has never had a bad attitude, so I dont think its because he dosen't care. I hope he can get his fire and push back. Like everyone else though, I wonder where Osi is.

jomo
10-07-2012, 11:06 AM

I do think that he should not be Captain anymore. Let him worry about his play, and not the whole unit and speaking for others. He'll always be a leader, but I think he just needs to focus on being a player again.I love the guy but money is the exact point. For what he is delivering at this point he is tying up too much cap sapce that could be deployed to much better use elsewhere. It will have to be resolved on way or another in the off season.

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't think he should be stripped of his captaincy. TC doesn't do things like that. I think he should do the smart thing and step down. It's not admitting defeat, it's called prioritizing. Because for all his leadership and interviews, speeches and commercials, he's most valuable to the Giants as a DE. Maybe all this other stuff is too much.

A drowning man helps nobody as a lifeguard. I havent even seen Tuck do much in the way of commercials. I think he might have had a Subway one, but he does not do too.many. I know he concentrates on football mainly.

Eliscruzzz
10-07-2012, 11:53 AM
He is def playing very old. He knows it too. You can tell by his body language. The only fire he ever shows is in his pre game speech when the cameras are on him.lol what about the playoffs in 07' and 11'.

BeatYale
10-07-2012, 01:15 PM
2010 was a pretty good year for him as well, he was near the top in tackles for DLinemen and had 11.5 sacks. That's when guys on NFL network were debating between him or Mario Williams being the best DE's in football. There's more to it than sack totals.

Joe Morrison
10-07-2012, 01:28 PM
The entire D line is living off their Reputation, time for them to make a statement this week.