PDA

View Full Version : Another "no huddle offense" thread

brad
10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
This article makes some good points, and uses stats to show what many on this board have stated more than once. We all know how much better the Giants offense is with an up-tempo offense, but rarely see it early in games. This is something that would have really benefited the Giants against an Eagles defense that loves to make personnel changes frequently.

The Baltimore Ravens are the only other team running no-huddle on more than half their offensive plays this year, per Pompei (54.2 percent of the time), which also makes sense -- Ravens quarterback ran a lot of no-huddle at Delaware. After the Dolphins and Ravens, Pompei lists the Denver Broncos (45.6 percent), New England Patriots (32.8 percent), Green Bay Packers (29.3 percent), Philadelphia Eagles (23.8 percent), Detroit Lions (20 percent), Kansas City Chiefs 19.8 percent), Pittsburgh Steelers (18.7 percent) and Atlanta Falcons (18.5 percent) as the teams using no-huddle the most.

Read full article here (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-running-wild-stopping-defenses-cold-no-huddle-143143944--nfl.html)

FlyingTruck
10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Our coaches are stubborn and like sticking to the game plan they came in with. That's why we rarely see it.

brad
10-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Our coaches are stubborn and like sticking to the game plan they came in with. That's why we rarely see it.

In their defense, when you have 2 SB rings you have earned the right to be stubborn... but still would love to see them increase the tempo a bit when the offense is struggling early in games.

RagTime Blue
10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I think we're pretty good inside of 2 minutes because we save the "no huddle" for when we need it, and use our best plays and players to do it, in a sequence that keeps the D off-balance.

There's only so much stuff you can practice, so I'm happy keeping it "special".

Would I like to see the ball snapped with more than 1 second on the play-clock every now and again. . .sure. =)

Diamondring
10-07-2012, 12:03 PM
No need to run it and we keep forgetting that in the end of games or late in the game, the defense we played against use prevent.

Captain Chaos
10-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Should have used that last week to counter the Eagles rotation, this week no real reason to employ this tactic unless you are trying to change things up. I want to keep the Browns D on the field for as long as possible, keep our beat up d fresh!

brad
10-07-2012, 12:17 PM
The point of "keeping it special" is a valid one, as is not using it against a Browns team that we should win against.

On the point of keeping our defense off the field, I agree, but see it differently. Early in games the offense has a lot of 3 and outs, meaning the defense is out on the field more than they should. An up-tempo offense that puts points on the board early would allow the defense to go into attack mode early which could help a banged up secondary.

giantsfan420
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
and ppl always confuse the no huddle for hurry up. you can run a no huddle, and still burn up the same amount of clock as when a team huddles.

one of the main reasons why i would LOVE to see us do it more is it would give eli more time to break down the defense presnap.

it'd also be creative to use when eli sees the defense is in a formation or coverage that he can exploit, thus keeping that same formation on the field. whenever we get a big play vs the d bc eli exploited something, if u no huddle right after, ur keeping that same personnel on the field...just saying there are so many legit, valid reasons to run the no huddle more often, and the only reason not to that i find valid is the "they've won 2 sb's their way so they've earned the right to keep using it the same way"

Mlerman17
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
No matter which way u look at it we need to incorporate it against good teams so we can get early leads and not have to count on our d to stop the other team the whole first half when we put up 3 pts every game. It's so frustrating y can't they let Eli play like Peyton and do we does best?

Joe Morrison
10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I think the main reason they don't use the no huddle more often is TC really likes taking time off the clock and playing keep a way.

brad
10-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I think the main reason they don't use the no huddle more often is TC really likes taking time off the clock and playing keep a way.

I agree with that approach, however they aren't doing a good job of keeping the ball away from apposing offenses very well in the first half of 3 out of 4 games this year, and the reason they aren't is because the offense has not played well in the first half of those 3 games.