PDA

View Full Version : Replacement refs are as good as the so called regular Refs. No big change, Happy?

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
There isn't a big difference b/w the 2. Except the real ones get paid more to blow calls. We can be thankful for playing the browns. Otherwise it could have been different.

EliDaMANning
10-07-2012, 04:54 PM
These refs are terrible. They were terrible last year and they aren't getting any better. And it seems like its always against us.

Marvelousmik
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
There is definately a big change, however i knew the old refs would still miss a lot of calls. But trust me, if the replacement guys were out there, we wouldnt have gotten any pass interference calls early on. im at least thankful for those

BigBlueAllDay
10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
There were some bad calls in this game like the non-chop block penalty on bradshaw or the no PI call on a double arm bar that caused Victor Cruz to lose the ball for the INT. In the end, the win was there and that's what matters.

dave56dj
10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
It isn't even close - these guys are ten times better - yes they missed two PI's one led to a pick - but the replacements were terrifying - gmen lucky they never blew too much in our games, but don't make that competency a league wide thing - cause it was not.

BigBlueAllDay
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
yup, gotta looke to the bright side. The replacement refs might have given Weeden that TD pass after he caught his own first pass off a deflection. lol

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
These refs are terrible. They were terrible last year and they aren't getting any better. And it seems like its always against us.They have been getting worse every year. At least the replacements wanted to do well and had a drive for it.

Just look at that blown call in the SB in a big spot on wilford that the refs had to ask if he made a mistake and then laughed about it. WTF are you throwing a flag if you arent certain? Though you have too actually see it occur to throw it, not assume it.

dave56dj
10-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Sorry if you really think the replacement refs are better your just not seeing the game.

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 05:42 PM
There is definately a big change, however i knew the old refs would still miss a lot of calls. But trust me, if the replacement guys were out there, we wouldnt have gotten any pass interference calls early on. im at least thankful for thoseThing is, the replacements had a chance to be there when being skipped over and they wanted to do well and learn. As for many of them it was a dream. While the old refs are how old now on average? Sure there may have been some more blown calls early, but like anything they would have gotten better if they so desired. Besides a few regular refs, many of them suck. I like Ed Hoculli and Mike Cary, and they have made mistakes, but its rare and they get a pass as no one is perfect, but most others suck.

Did you see the NFL show this past week with the replacement refs? Very good spot if you haven't seen it. A couple things they said was very surprising/shocking.

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
There were some bad calls in this game like the non-chop block penalty on bradshaw or the no PI call on a double arm bar that caused Victor Cruz to lose the ball for the INT. In the end, the win was there and that's what matters.the chop block call didnt really bother me even though it was incorrect because the refs may have had a bad angle so it looked like it was. But the Cruz and Randle ones were horrible.

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 05:48 PM
yup, gotta looke to the bright side. The replacement refs might have given Weeden that TD pass after he caught his own first pass off a deflection. lolOh thats another thing. They called it a TD, the ref in the end zone, but the head ref realized it and explained why it wasn't. I mean really a TD call? Wow

Sorry if you really think the replacement refs are better your just not seeing the game. Actually you can read my reply to mik about how i feel. But im seeing the game just fine, and been paying attention to them for years, and brining it up usually a couple times a year. No one here cares generally, unless it burns us as it did vs GB, SF, and luckily not in our last SB game.. I just prefer being consistent whether we win or lose or whether it costs us a game or not.... I don't start whining about it as some do when we only lose. Or think its no biggie because we won anyway.

GreenZone
10-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Nicely put, DragonSoul. These referees were abysmal today, just like some big games last year.

What ended up good about the lockout and made it entirely worthwhile are that the current referees are really replaceable (with some training and Division I level college refs)., and that there is a new large crew of taxi squad referees in training.

To me, similar to smug MLB umpires that have a "personal" strike zone, the NFL refereeing system needed a major overhaul.

I applaud the Commish on doing what he did and how it will benefit the NFL in the long run.

dave56dj
10-07-2012, 05:59 PM
This is the toughest game to ref in the NFL - but again if you believe that the replacements are better your missing a lot. Yep they missed two pi's today and have hurt us before and may do so again, but the replacements were a travesty and had trouble just keeping the game from being a prison breakout.

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Nicely put, DragonSoul. These referees were abysmal today, just like some big games last year.

What ended up good about the lockout and made it entirely worthwhile are that the current referees are really replaceable (with some training and Division I level college refs)., and that there is a new large crew of taxi squad referees in training.

To me, similar to smug MLB umpires that have a "personal" strike zone, the NFL refereeing system needed a major overhaul.

I applaud the Commish on doing what he did and how it will benefit the NFL in the long run.agreed. I think the refs should have been paid more so they can actually work year round on their craft and hire maybe another 1-2 refs per game. But with the way things are now, its not a big difference many cried about. Only difference was, it wasn't our team that was hurt but other teams for once. And when we have gotten screwed yearly, no one cried for our team, instead they said get up, brush the dirt off and move on. But amazingly how things changed when it happened to other teams.

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
This is the toughest game to ref in the NFL - but again if you believe that the replacements are better your missing a lot. Yep they missed two pi's today and have hurt us before and may do so again, but the replacements were a travesty and had trouble just keeping the game from being a prison breakout.As I said, I already answered what you happened to question me about, if you didn't take the time to read it, then cant help you there.

EliDaMANning
10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I hate it when people cannot read the actual post and just the title of the thread. They automatically assume there is some sort of comparison between the two. I think we can all agree the current refs are obviously better all around than the replacements. Lets put that stupid argument to rest and get to the main point.These refs suck too. Actually I believe they are pretty terrible. Yes the replacements were worse but I still got the impression they wanted to improve and learn. Dragon, I remember everyone laughing at the Wilfork flop only because we won the SB. Bottom line is, that was probably more devastating than a stupid Seahawk packer game. The refs clearly tried to make the games close intentionally. That flag was predicatable even I saw that coming when the hole opened up. Refs tried to pull that on us in GB but we weren't having it. How they miss a simple Jennings fumble was beyond me. I have no compassion for the current refs. They hate us but none of our players openly moaned and groaned like what we saw the past two weeks. It was disgusting.

appodictic
10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes the only thing about these refs is they just make bad calls faster, giving the illusion they know what they are doing more.

Parademon
10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
It also blows that it goes as a pick for Eli, which is BS!

GMENAGAIN
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
To compare these refs to the replacement refs as just idiotic.

EliDaMANning
10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
To compare these refs to the replacement refs as just idiotic. They both suck.

idiotekniQues
10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
This is the toughest game to ref in the NFL - but again if you believe that the replacements are better your missing a lot. Yep they missed two pi's today and have hurt us before and may do so again, but the replacements were a travesty and had trouble just keeping the game from being a prison breakout.

yep. was about to say the same thing. the replacements couldn't handle the games, letting them get out of control, and taking way too long to figure out calls.

however, the real refs blew a few calls today, one that gave eli a pick that shouldn't have been, another PI, the block by bradshaw.

it never matters as much when the team getting blown calls against it wins. if we lost a close one, these calls would be getting scrutinized more for sure.

ShakeandBake
10-07-2012, 09:59 PM
To compare these refs to the replacement refs as just idiotic.

There really isn't much of a difference imo. The replacement refs took longer to make calls, but the regular refs don't seem to make more correct calls than the replacements.

DragonSoul
10-07-2012, 10:09 PM
There really isn't much of a difference imo. The replacement refs took longer to make calls, but the regular refs don't seem to make more correct calls than the replacements.Well of course it was going to take longer for the new guys who didn't have a lot of practice in big spots. If those people didnt realize that was going to happen, then those people who didn't are idiotic. Because they wanted a chance to ref and learn. You should have seen some of the things they said in the interview.

Toadofsteel
10-07-2012, 10:10 PM
The main issue is that the replacements didn't know how to handle angry coaches. The regular refs take no crap from a coach...

Medisleman
10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I agree, replacements were actually just as good, or bad as the regular refs. Only difference was that the players, coaches, and media didn't give them any respect at all because they are all in cahoots with the refs union. They railroaded the replacements to help the union. It was BS. There is a problem with the refs in the NFL and it is not being addressed.

Redeyejedi
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
They know the rules ,keep the game moving, get more respect from the players but they still miss a lot of calls. Why not hire more officials?

jgrangers11
10-07-2012, 10:46 PM
There is absolutely a difference between them. Refs are always going to miss penalty calls. They're not going to catch every holding call or every PI call. Just as baseball umpires will miss bang-bang calls at first and basketball refs will miss blocking/charging calls under the hoop. The fact is that fans of every sports league on the planet think they have the worst officials.

Realistically, you have to judge these guys on the efficiency of the game and, in that regard, it's not even close. Anyone who watched the Pats/Ravens game in week 2 knows what I mean. Early in that game, the two teams were fighting after nearly every play and the refs never took control of the game. The real refs know that they have to take control of the game. Throw one flag and that nonsense ends. Add to the fact the fact that there were times when the refs didn't even know the rules. Toward the end of the first half against the Vikings the 49ers were awarded two challenges they shouldn't have been given because they had no timeouts remaining. Not to mention that there were times when they would just allow receivers to get mugged downfield because they weren't used to calling illegal contact. And on top of all of that there are no more of those minute long stoppages when the refs would get together to discuss a play which seemed to happen a handful of times in every game.

So are these refs better? Yes, and it's not even close.

jomo
10-08-2012, 06:09 AM
They know the rules ,keep the game moving, get more respect from the players but they still miss a lot of calls. Why not hire more officials?Why not hire better officials? That is what the strike was all about; having a few crews of quality reserves to sit the officials who don't cut it.

The worst performance of all is from the TV commentators who were whipping up a frenzy overanalyzing every call with the replacements. I haven't heard a peeps since the end of the holdout regarding the very ordinary performance from the regulars. Weak!

The regulars obviously do move the game along better.

nygfanmaybe
10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
I think there should be a ref watching the game including replays and rarely intervening...but when he sees something as flagrant as the Browns' DB pushing Cruz' arms down before the ball arrives, he should be able to stop the action and notify the ref on the field that we have a "flag from the sky". It really makes the NFL look bad when they show those obvious screw-ups and there is nothing they can do to rectify it.

OX1
10-08-2012, 07:23 AM
So are these refs better? Yes, and it's not even close.

Better? in many respects. Good? Hardly............

How do you miss a blatant PI like that?
If the refs were not watching the ball being caught,
what the heck were they doing??

BTW, is that not automatically reviewable since
possession changed hands???

The inconstancy is the problem.

nygfanmaybe
10-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Better? in many respects. Good? Hardly............

How do you miss a blatant PI like that?
If the refs were not watching the ball being caught,
what the heck were they doing??

BTW, is that not automatically reviewable since
possession changed hands???

The inconstancy is the problem.

They can't review whether there should have been a penalty called...

OX1
10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
They can't review whether there should have been a penalty called...

Brilliant, they can't review what caused the turnover.

GameTime
10-08-2012, 09:06 AM
the flow of the game is not being hindered. Which is very important. That was the maiin complaint of the replacement refs since they didnt know the rules very well. No one ever said the reg refs got every call.

EliDaMANning
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
The replacement refs were getting ripped every damn week but we could easily do the same for the current ones too. Ill give you an example of this bias...People were quick to rip a ref who had McCoy on his fantasy team. We don't know if that affected the game whatsoever. But in the SB last year, on the Wilfork penalty, the ref ASKS him if there was a penalty. Basically he didn't even see one but he threw the flag. That play may very well lived in infamy if we had lost that game. But since we won we can just laugh about it right?

GMan-67
10-08-2012, 12:57 PM
yeah these part timer refs are horrible and have been for years

i was hoping the replacements wouldnt totally blow a game, so the lockout could continue and maybe we could have gotten to the point of having all full time accountable officials

giantsforce
10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
yeah these part timer refs are horrible and have been for years

i was hoping the replacements wouldnt totally blow a game, so the lockout could continue and maybe we could have gotten to the point of having all full time accountable officialsIt does not look like this will happen any time soon. In the mean time, we will see blown calls and there were some big ones in the Giants game and in the Chargers game last night that affected the outcome of the game. Blatant PI's not called and an iffy hit on Brees that nullified a TD for the Charges D were just a few examples. I have seen Eli taking worst hits directly to the head that were never called than this. Again the PI's are called very inconsistently.

pino
10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Colin Cowherd had said it since day one. We complain about the regular refs, so what's the difference?

I actually felt bad about the replacement refs. Without them, we wouldn't have had football, but they got ripped by the fans, press, and the league.

Captain Chaos
10-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Refs will always stink!!!!! Replacement or real!

giantsforce
10-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Colin Cowherd had said it since day one. We complain about the regular refs, so what's the difference?

I actually felt bad about the replacement refs. Without them, we wouldn't have had football, but they got ripped by the fans, press, and the league.Me too. They were placed in a lose-lose situation. No time to study all the rules, placed in a fishbowl and expecting them to perform flawlessly. I think they got more call right than wrong and they did not have the "1000 experience years" the regular refs have. With the replacement refs we should have expected some bad calls and they were some. However, what is the excuse of the "experienced" refs? How can they not call the flagrant PI's this week. Not only in the Giants game but also in the Charges game. Sorry, but I do not see the NFL disciplining these guys and they keep making the bad calls.

Parademon
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
League wanted the Saints to win last night on Brees record breaking night. I was blown away when SD was in NO territory driving to tie it & the refs throw like 4 straight flags on SD to put em back on their 26yd line & 3rd & 37! That was total BS!