PDA

View Full Version : Is Perry Fewell just relying on the talent?

SuperNYGiants
10-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Because his defensive scheme is not very impressive. Weeden had all day to throw and I ddin't see many blitzes, I don't understand this approach. Was Fewell anticipating a lot of screens? But the defense wasn't good at stopping screens either. Fewell never goes after the QB on 3rd and long situations and it has burned the defense numerous times already. If Fewell keeps showing his inability to adjust to the game time situations accordingly, and keeps going with a very conservative approach of his, it's going to be a long day vs. 49ers.

Rudyy
10-08-2012, 11:40 AM
It's Fewell's technique, and the pass HUSH being outplayed.

hadenough
10-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Because his defensive scheme is not very impressive. Weeden had all day to throw and I ddin't see many blitzes, I don't understand this approach. Was Fewell anticipating a lot of screens? But the defense wasn't good at stopping screens either. Fewell never goes after the QB on 3rd and long situations and it has burned the defense numerous times already. If Fewell keeps showing his inability to adjust to the game time situations accordingly, and keeps going with a very conservative approach of his, it's going to be a long day vs. 49ers.

Fewell is what he is...a pretty average DC

brad
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I think a big part of it is not the talent on the field but the talent that isn't. Losing Canty and Rocky has hurt the D-line, not just in talent but because they can't rotate the DT position and keep the players fresh. The secondary has been hammered with injuries as well. It doesn't help that offenses are going with quick passes and run plays designed to take advantage of aggressive play at the DE position. In my opinion, this is where the lackluster play from the LB positions hurt.

That being said, I agree that PF could be a little more aggressive to compensate for the injuries rather than being so conservative. If nothing else it might light a fire in the front 7 and get them to swarm the ball more. Right now I feel like they are always back on their heels, reacting to the play rather than attacking it.

OX1
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Not very creative, but then again,
when is the last time we had the same complete
defense for even 2 weeks in a row.

OX1
10-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I think a big part of it is not the talent on the field but the talent that isn't. Losing Canty and Rocky has hurt the D-line, not just in talent but because they can't rotate the DT position and keep the players fresh. The secondary has been hammered with injuries as well. It doesn't help that offenses are going with quick passes and run plays designed to take advantage of aggressive play at the DE position. In my opinion, this is where the lackluster play from the LB positions hurt.

That being said, I agree that PF could be a little more aggressive to compensate for the injuries rather than being so conservative. If nothing else it might light a fire in the front 7 and get them to swarm the ball more. Right now I feel like they are always back on their heels, reacting to the play rather than attacking it.

It is especially rather perplexing when we are up 3 scores.
Our 3 man rush has got to be 15 to 1 against our favor.

FBomb
10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
One word....Spags. How's his resume' since leaving the Giants?

shotcalla39
10-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Yes I'm tired of seeing our front four with no blitz help against a max protect on 3rd and long... Fewell sucks

slipknottin
10-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Max protect against a 4 man rush means the giants have 7 guys covering 2 receviers, and you think this is a bad matchup for the giants?

juice33s
10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Five games into the season, the Giants' defense still has only eight sacks overall. Asked if he was concerned, Tuck said, "Yes, I am. Guys are figuring us out. So we've got to do some different things."
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8475899/new-york-giants-win-offense-now-was-display-versus-cleveland-browns
(http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8475899/new-york-giants-win-offense-now-was-display-versus-cleveland-browns)
May have been a subtle shot at Fewell

Buddy333
10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Carl Banks said on the radio that its time for the players to stop talking about how teams are scheming against them and do something about it. He said they need to get together, just the players, and watch every 3rd down play this season o see what's happening and fix it.

GameTime
10-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Carl Banks said on the radio that its time for the players to stop talking about how teams are scheming against them and do something about it. He said they need to get together, just the players, and watch every 3rd down play this season o see what's happening and fix it.
Tuck said the same in his post game. No excuses and that they have to get better and find out through watching film what it will take to do that.

brad
10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Tuck said the same in his post game. No excuses and that they have to get better and find out through watching film what it will take to do that.

Let's hope they start doing exactly that... the mark of a great defense isn't how well you play when everything goes your way, it's how you adjust when your weakness is exposed.

GMan-67
10-08-2012, 12:48 PM
talent like TT, K-Phil, Hosley, Bernard, Canty and Rivers??

oh wait, all those guys are injured, hmmm i wonder if that hurts us on D????

and even with all those injuries we are still only giving up a little over 20 points per game

do we need to get better?, certainly, but based on last season there is absolutely no reason to think we won't get better

and one good example is that our DEs have realized what QBs are trying to do and we are starting to knock passes down in bunches ... if they are going to throw the ball right away to avoid pressure, then they are going to get those passes batted back in their faces

and even if we don't get better ... even if we continue to yield 20 points per game ... do you really believe our O will score less than 20 more often than it scores more than 20? ... if we have to win games with scores like 31-24 ... well im fine with that ... it's all about Ws

Captain Chaos
10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
It's predicated on the front 4 getting pressure on the QB with a sprinkle of Blitzes. Right now I wouldn't say its working well; why is another issue. The players say its individual lapses not sure if its the scheme; wonder if we just don't have the personnel to successfully execute it!

RoanokeFan
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Take a look at the injury list

brad
10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
talent like TT, K-Phil, Hosley, Bernard, Canty and Rivers??

oh wait, all those guys are injured, hmmm i wonder if that hurts us on D????

and even with all those injuries we are still only giving up a little over 20 points per game

do we need to get better?, certainly, but based on last season there is absolutely no reason to think we won't get better

and one good example is that our DEs have realized what QBs and trying to do and we are starting to knock passes down in bunches ... if they are going to throw the ball right away to avoid pressure, then they are going to get those passes batted bat in their faces

and even if we don't get better ... even if we continue to yield 20 points per game ... do you really believe our O will score less than 20 more often than it scores more than 20? ... if we have to win games with scores like 31-24 ... well im fine with that ... it's all about Ws

The injury point has been made, and it is valid, especially the injuries at the DT position.

Yes, they will get better when some of those guys return, again, especially at the DT position, which can only help the pass rush.

You are absolutely correct, they will win more games than they lose if they hold their opponent under 20 points. However, against teams with a good D (i.e. Eagles, San Fran), thats not a guarantee, and you can't expect to hold teams like NO or GB to 20 points, they are going to score more than that with the way the defense is playing right now.

That's not to say they won't improve, I think they will. But that doesn't negate the discussion about the current level of play.

For reference, they won against TB 1-3, Carolina 1-4, and Cleveland 0-5. They lost to Dallas 2-2 and the Eagles 3-2. So far this year they have played only one team with a winning record and while they should have won that game, they didn't.

That last statement might sound like I am down on the team, far from it. The point I am trying to make is that as fans we like to discuss what is good and what can improve. And when you look at the record, there is clearly a lot that can improve. So, while you may be comfortable sitting back and saying "trust in our coaches and players", some of us like to talk X's and O's. Nothing wrong with either approach, I respect and even agree with you, but would hope that you could reciprocate that same respect.

SuperNYGiants
10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm not buying the injury excuse. There's no rule against back-ups not being able to blitz.

I want the Giants to get Chicago's DC.

brad
10-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm not buying the injury excuse. There's no rule against back-ups not being able to blitz.

I want the Giants to get Chicago's DC.

LOL, PF will be here as long as Coughlin is, unless he is offered a head coaching position somewhere.

SuperNYGiants
10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
LOL, PF will be here as long as Coughlin is, unless he is offered a head coaching position somewhere.
Oh good, only 1 more year after this season then.

brad
10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Oh good, only 1 more year after this season then.

Coughlin has won two Super Bowls, there is no timetable on when he will leave, he will leave on his own time.

PF has had a rough start this seaon, and last to be honest, but let's not forget what he accomplished when he had a healthy roster. The Giants D was arguably among the best in the league to finish off the season and the run up to the SB. Clearly he is a more than capable DC, even as frustrated as I have been so far this season.

Cool Papa B.
10-08-2012, 01:37 PM

I heard that too, and I hope the whole DLine hears it. Especially Tuck. This is about pride, toughness and outworking your opponent. Get into the film room, order some takeout andfigure this thing out!

giantsforce
10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
LOL, PF will be here as long as Coughlin is, unless he is offered a head coaching position somewhere.The only GM that will offer a HC job to Fewell is Jerry Jones. Not because he thinks Fewell is HC material but just to spite the Giants.

SuperNYGiants
10-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Coughlin has won two Super Bowls, there is no timetable on when he will leave, he will leave on his own time.

PF has had a rough start this seaon, and last to be honest, but let's not forget what he accomplished when he had a healthy roster. The Giants D was arguably among the best in the league to finish off the season and the run up to the SB. Clearly he is a more than capable DC, even as frustrated as I have been so far this season.
I don't think Fewell is terrible, but I'm not too high on giving all the credit to Fewell when it's working and blaming the players when it doesn't. It's still Fewell's scheme that has been a part of quite a few of blow-out losses ever since Fewell came on board, at a rate that I have not seen before with this organization.