PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning - Sacked only 4 times

Manning
10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
There might not always be a clean pocket for Eli, but through 5 games he has only been sacked 4 times which is really impressive. Look at Rodgers, he has been sacked 21 times!!!!! Time to give some credit to this oline, and Eli as well.

Gmen2005
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Oline has definitely stepped up their game. Beatty has been playing very well, and Manning has amazing pocket presence. Keep him clean and healthy and this team will make the playoffs.

Moke
10-08-2012, 03:26 PM
There might not always be a clean pocket for Eli, but through 5 games he has only been sacked 4 times which is really impressive. Look at Rodgers, he has been sacked 21 times!!!!! Time to give some credit to this oline, and Eli as well.

The o-line hasn't had problems with the passing game, they've had problems with the running game.

Other than that, the Packers o-line is atrocious for real.

EliDaMANning
10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
If you watch Rodgers 8 first half sacks vs Seattle you will see he could've thrown away 5 easily.Players like Rodgers and cutler get sacked a lot because they don't wan to hurt their completion %. Manning threw away around 5-7 passes away vs the eagles. A player like Rodgers would've hung in their and get sacked more than half the time. It's sickening to see all these stat conscious QB playing.

Moke
10-08-2012, 03:32 PM
If you watch Rodgers 8 first half sacks vs Seattle you will see he could've thrown away 5 easily.Players like Rodgers and cutler get sacked a lot because they don't wan to hurt their completion %. Manning threw away around 5-7 passes away vs the eagles. A player like Rodgers would've hung in their and get sacked more than half the time. It's sickening to see all these stat conscious QB playing.

Sad actually but a very good point. Not so sure if stats are what these QBs are thinking about during the game, but I can see what you mean.

Drez
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
The OL has definitely stepped up their game in pass protection. I was very nervous after that debacle in the Dallas game. Granted, I haven't seen the actual pressure numbers, but I'm sure quite a bit of that is on Eli, too. Like mentioned, he has great pocket awareness and can get the ball out in a hurry. Also, he's great at setting the protections pre-snap which definitely helps the OL.

Drez
10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
That's one of the reasons that ofttimes the QB rating metric isn't a great indicator of actual play. Comp% and YPA are heavily weighed in the formula, so throwing the ball away hurts your QB rating more than taking a sack does, even though throwing the ball away helps your team and chances of winning more.

EliDaMANning
10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Someone should make a stat where the QB actually gets less negatively affected after an incompletion than taking a sack. But then people will realize how overhyped Rodgers really is.

jakegibbs
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Not so fast they have SF up next. Last time they played Eli was knocked down over 20 times in that game with over 5 sacks. I think it was 7 sacks total or something close to that number. So hold this post until next Monday please. If Eli can get out of Frisco alive we may have something with the O line that's special.

TheAnalyst
10-08-2012, 04:31 PM
And 8 sacks in 5 games for a total from everyone on defense...

giantfan1976
10-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Well, put your first and last point together and you have... there might not always be a clean pocket for Eli, but give Eli credit...

The OL is playing average to above average (last year the rankings had them at 28 where time to throw statistics are concerned). If you look at just sacks, like uneducated fans of other teams do, you'd think that this was the best passing OL in the league. But the fact is that last year they were fourth worst and not much better this year where providing time to throw. But, Eli's movement in whatever semblance of a pocket they give him is what keeps this offense going.

Captain Chaos
10-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I expect that number to change drastically this week!

ReiRiza
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
And 8 sacks in 5 games for a total from everyone on defense...Of it makes you feel any better the Eagles Dline has not recorded one sack in two straight games. Maybe the NFC east is just overhyped....or people are figuring out ways to beat the pass rush.

Cloud57
10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Of it makes you feel any better the Eagles Dline has not recorded one sack in two straight games. Maybe the NFC east is just overhyped....or people are figuring out ways to beat the pass rush.

Could that be why out D-line doesn't get any sacks???

Ruttiger711
10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm curious to find out how many qb pressures Eli has faced in comparison to others. I did a quick search and couldn't find the info.

Sack totals are very misleading IMO because its almost used as an overall performance rating whether it be the offense or defense.

Toadofsteel
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Someone should make a stat where the QB actually gets less negatively affected after an incompletion than taking a sack. But then people will realize how overhyped Rodgers really is.

To be honest, there should be a separate stat for obvious throwing away of the ball... it will still affect your completion % as any incompletion, but the metric takes less of a hit (basically as though no pass was attempted)...

Robert21156
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
EXACTLY right. Eli throws away a lot of passes when under pressure to avoid the sack. He's not worried about his completion percentage. He does
have great pocket presence.

Gmen 802
10-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Definitely a great stat, also even better because unlike 2010 he's not throwing int's instead of taking sacks, he's either throwing it away or well...not getting sacked. Good stuff!

O-line has definitely been improving. Now if only the D-line could step up.....

Eliscruzzz
10-08-2012, 11:27 PM
It just goes to show you how smart Eli is with the football. Yes the o-line has been doing great but the cerebral Eli Manning is getting the ball out quick also.

GMan-67
10-09-2012, 03:55 AM

well that's umpossible, b/c according to the experts on this board we are the only team with question marks on the O-line

all cringing aside, it is amazing how alike Eli and Peyton in his prime are

BurnerNYG
10-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Some of you guys are funny thinking the Oline is gonna dominate every team like the guys lining up against em don't get paid. I knew the Cowboys just had our number that night.

giantsfan420
10-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm curious to find out how many qb pressures Eli has faced in comparison to others. I did a quick search and couldn't find the info.

Sack totals are very misleading IMO because its almost used as an overall performance rating whether it be the offense or defense.
someone posted an article, could be pff, but it stated that eli was pressured 20% more than the next closest qb. i think since last year he's been pressured like 200x IIRC.
the article was really cool too bc it broke down the efficiency of a qb in the face of pressure, which no surprise here, eli was far superior than any other qb in this regard. eli's amazing even under pressure, in fact, he may even be at his best somehow under pressure, think about some of the plays he's made while under heavy duress, the sb 42 play obviously jumps out but when u take the time to really remember, eli has made so many plays that really, no qb should be able to make

GCGiant
10-09-2012, 07:23 AM
One of Eli's finest attributes, IMO, is that he doesn't care about any stats outside of the W/L column. I read others opinions...that some QB's hang on and take a sack rather than throwing it away...and I have a hard time believing that some would hurt the team in order to keep from hurting their stats. If this is true, they better hope their coach doesn't find out.

Drez
10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
someone posted an article, could be pff, but it stated that eli was pressured 20% more than the next closest qb. i think since last year he's been pressured like 200x IIRC.
the article was really cool too bc it broke down the efficiency of a qb in the face of pressure, which no surprise here, eli was far superior than any other qb in this regard. eli's amazing even under pressure, in fact, he may even be at his best somehow under pressure, think about some of the plays he's made while under heavy duress, the sb 42 play obviously jumps out but when u take the time to really remember, eli has made so many plays that really, no qb should be able to makehttps://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/

TroyArcher
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Eli has some ability to move in the pocket and he does have the "Manning" ability to read the defense and find the open receiver very quick.

burier
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
The o-line hasn't had problems with the passing game, they've had problems with the running game.

Other than that, the Packers o-line is atrocious for real.

To be fair they couldn't really block Philly's front in pass protection but I'm not mad at that. I just hope Diehl stays on the bench.

Manning
10-15-2012, 01:59 PM
So how do you like me now?

Mohann
10-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Well, put your first and last point together and you have... there might not always be a clean pocket for Eli, but give Eli credit...

The OL is playing average to above average (last year the rankings had them at 28 where time to throw statistics are concerned). If you look at just sacks, like uneducated fans of other teams do, you'd think that this was the best passing OL in the league. But the fact is that last year they were fourth worst and not much better this year where providing time to throw. But, Eli's movement in whatever semblance of a pocket they give him is what keeps this offense going.

Until Beatty came back, Eli was running for his life at times and doing well. An average oline with room to improve is a game changer for this team. I'm feeling very positive about this team. With a running game to lean on and good protection, Eli will be a beast.

Manning
10-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Beatty is starting to look like a potential stud. Who would have thought...