PDA

View Full Version : Tom Coughlin: Defense is a concern

RoanokeFan
10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/8/3474758/tom-coughlin-new-york-giants-defense

Excerpt: "New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants)' coach Tom Coughlin admitted Monday that he is concerned about the team's defense. The Giants did not have a sack ofCleveland Browns (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/cleveland-browns)' quarterback Brandon Weeden (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/152670/brandon-weeden) Sunday, and after the Browns had scored on their first three possessions the Giants had given up scores on eight straight possessions.

Cleveland running back Trent Richardson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/152651/trent-richardson) had 81 yards on 17 carries one week after LeSean McCoy (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71549/lesean-mccoy) of the Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/philadelphia-eagles) gashed the Giants for 123 yards rushing.The Giants' vaunted pass rush has generated only eight sacks in five games, 24th in the league.

"Strategy or not it (lack of pass rush) has definitely slowed us down a little bit. We've gotta look hard at how we can get this thing resolved and get some more pressure on the quarterback. We're gonna try to do that," Coughlin said." Read more...

EnragedYouth85
10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Hopefully they can get this sorted out, we need some sort of pressure!

ny06
10-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Could this be the week the d-line wakes up? I hope so...

brad
10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I am glad to see that they are going to put a bigger focus on that this week. The lack of pass rush was a concern but the missed tackles yesterday was even more disconcerting.

Buddy333
10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
The 49ers OL might make them look silly unless they get their act together. Or maybe they just don't have what it takes? Is it injuries? Carl Banks said today on the radio it's time to stop making excuses for why there is a lack of a pass rush.

FBomb
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Well, I'm glad he's concerned. So am I. What say we fix it?

EnragedYouth85
10-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Less excuses, more playing! They need to play like they want it or they will eventually be replaced. Osi will be gone after this year and I don't see him getting anywhere near the money he is expecting.. We gave him more this year because he was complaining, then he comes out and plays like trash.

RoanokeFan
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Sign me up

johnson
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM

BABY YES. YES BABY. me too, I think that the other day was not downstairs but on the other door of the tree.

GIANTSED101
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't even care about the sacks, can we please get some tackles in the backfield for some negative yardage on a consistent basis please. Can we please quit putting Osi in on running situations? Hell put Tuck at tackle and move Kiwi to DE. Just don't let Osi play unless it's on obvious passing downs.

Buddy333
10-08-2012, 04:32 PM
How do they fix it though? It seems like they are happy just making excuses. The injuries don't help matters any, but they can't rely on getting any better in that department this week either. That 49ers OL bullies teams. They way they looked yesterday against the Browns this DL might be in for a long hard day. I hope Eli and the offense can score 80 next week.

Rudyy
10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I just want to see pressure. They have to change their technique, because what they are doing right now isn't working, and it hasn't been working.

johnson
10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
How do they fix it though? It seems like they are happy just making excuses. The injuries don't help matters any, but they can't rely on getting any better in that department this week either. That 49ers OL bullies teams. They way they looked yesterday against the Browns this DL might be in for a long hard day. I hope Eli and the offense can score 80 next week.

Back in day, ham used to use for no good, but maybe Giants not fulfill duty to see. It make fix

Daytona Giant
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
If he is still with us it might be time to turn Ojomo loose on a few plays

repeatchamps
10-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Last time Coughlin spoke out publically about the lack of QB pressure and the overall defensive play, Fewell woke up and got more creative and more aggressive. Expect it to happen again starting this Sunday.;)

TextureDj
10-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Back in day, ham used to use for no good, but maybe Giants not fulfill duty to see. It make fix

My new favorite poster.

moosedrool
10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Tuck, Osi, and Kiwanuka aren't generating any pressure, so JPP gets doubled. Playing without KP, Canty, Bernard, and Hosley doesn't help.

I would love to see Ojomo come in on passing downs to see if he can generate any pressure. Or Fewell needs to bring more blitzes. They'll need to get some turnovers against SF because the offense probably won't score more than 24 against SF.

Giantterp
10-08-2012, 05:38 PM
The question is if it's effort scheme or talent. Hard to tell right now. I guess all three can be fixed (talent can get better if people get healthy). As funny as it sounds, the best option might be that it's effort. The scheme isn't going to change and not everyone is going to be healthy at once. Maybe as the games get bigger the effort will be greater. Of course, if the effort is high, then we could be in trouble...

Captain Chaos
10-08-2012, 05:45 PM

​Nah, I like living on the edge!

brad
10-08-2012, 05:47 PM
The question is if it's effort scheme or talent. Hard to tell right now. I guess all three can be fixed (talent can get better if people get healthy). As funny as it sounds, the best option might be that it's effort. The scheme isn't going to change and not everyone is going to be healthy at once. Maybe as the games get bigger the effort will be greater. Of course, if the effort is high, then we could be in trouble...

I agree, it is likely a combination of effort, scheme and talent. As you said, talent can improve long term as injured players return, but the scheme and effort can and should be fixed immediately. Injuries are certainly a big part of the problem, but should not be an excuse to write off half the season while players get healthy.

Scheme is clearly an issue, they are not playing the same way they did at the end of last season. I think they blitzed a total of twice yesterday? I attribute some of the lackluster play to a zone/reactionary defensive scheme rather than attacking the ball. I am no defensive guru, but I seem to remember that being an issue last year until they made adjustments later in the season.

Rod-Diggity
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
49ers prolly have the biggest oline men in the entire league so I don't see the pass rush showing up next week, hopefully they will if we can somehow get coverage sacks. But that might be unlikely as well. Just gotta contain the run game and force 3rd and longs.

bosdober
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
The 49ers OL strength is definitely vs. the run. They have been fantastic in pass blocking the last couple of weeks, but are susceptible to a good pass rush. Your best bet against our offence is to make Alex Smith feel the heat. You'll also have chances to get to Alex if the 49ers get behind early and get away from the run game. If the 49ers get an early lead and can establish the run, your defense is going to be hard pressed to make plays. The 49ers will play as conservative as they feel they need to while protecting a lead because of the deep trust in the defense.

CowboysSuck
10-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Has TC ever heard of a blitz? Or does PF not know what a blitz is?

Am i missing something here? Spagnuolo blitzed on like 70% of 3rd downs. PF himself has done it in the past. I dont understand that confusion here. We havent blitzed AT ALL...so we have gotten very little pressure. Its relatively simple.

I mean lets be honest guys, we never have gotten consistent pressure rushing only 4. Yes, we have gotten sacks bringing only 4 in the past, but it is/was not the norm. We need to blitz. Simple as that. Show the DB's you trust them and bring the heat.

Sarcasman
10-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Word.