PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson "very close" To Larger Role

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Coughlin on WFAN, when asked about Wilson's role in the offense said he is (quote) "very close to earning a larger, more consistent role on offense"

Gee, its about time, ya think? Anyone still want to argue that Wilson deserves only 2 carries a game? please, be my guest

Also, this honestly still gives me limited hope that Wilson will see more than 4 or 5 touches. "very close" to Coughlin is pretty much like telling the media "yeah he will play eventually, stop pestering me" stubborn stubborn

Flip Empty
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Coughlin is Coughlin. It's frustrating for us, but it provides great motivation for Wilson.

Giants5699
10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
TC knows what he's doing. Plug in Wilson around week 11. Get a well rested explosive rookie against the more tired defenses....

GameTime
10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Coughlin on WFAN, when asked about Wilson's role in the offense said he is (quote) "very close to earning a larger, more consistent role on offense"

Gee, its about time, ya think? Anyone still want to argue that Wilson deserves only 2 carries a game? please, be my guest

Also, this honestly still gives me limited hope that Wilson will see more than 4 or 5 touches. "very close" to Coughlin is pretty much like telling the media "yeah he will play eventually, stop pestering me" stubborn stubborn
the Giants are handling Wilson they way they deem fit. They see him alot more then you or I do. They trust his hands or he wouldnt be returning KOs. Thats a huge trust factor from TC. He will slowly be integrated more and more into the offense. No worries man....it will happen

Dwinsballgames
10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Coughlin is Coughlin. Frustrating for us, but it provides great motivation for Wilson.

until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.

GMAN2K9
10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.

Bradshaw wasn't an excellent pass blocker his first 2 years in the league but he saw plenty of opportunities in the backfield.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Coughlin on WFAN, when asked about Wilson's role in the offense said he is (quote) "very close to earning a larger, more consistent role on offense" Gee, its about time, ya think? Anyone still want to argue that Wilson deserves only 2 carries a game? please, be my guest Also, this honestly still gives me limited hope that Wilson will see more than 4 or 5 touches. "very close" to Coughlin is pretty much like telling the media "yeah he will play eventually, stop pestering me" stubborn stubborn How much time do you spend watching Wilson in practice?

repeatchamps
10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Bradshaw wasn't an excellent pass blocker his first 2 years in the league but he saw plenty of opportunities in the backfield.

While he was not the great pass protection guy he is now early in his career, from what I can tell and recall back then Bradshaw was still lightyears ahead of where Wilson is in that department presently.

That said if the O-line can catch the 49ers napping a few times this week, Wilson could make a game changing play this week in the run game or maybe this is the week he breaks a big one for a TD on a kickoff.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Bradshaw wasn't an excellent pass blocker his first 2 years in the league but he saw plenty of opportunities in the backfield. I believe those were the days when the Oline was dominant.

repeatchamps
10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I believe those were the days when the Oline was dominant.

This too.

TuckandRolle
10-09-2012, 10:09 AM

and BOOM.

GMAN2K9
10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Hopefully his touches will tick up week by week between now and then. Also one thing to keep in mind is with Couglins approach he is:

Teaching Wilson to be a professional to work his *** off while protecting him from hitting the rookie wall that many crash into in November / December when starting since week 1

GMAN2K9
10-09-2012, 10:15 AM

haha good point. miss those days

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Hopefully his touches will tick up week by week between now and then. Also one thing to keep in mind is with Couglins approach he is: Teaching Wilson to be a professional to work his *** off while protecting him from hitting the rookie wall that many crash into in November / December when starting since week 1 Both Wilson and Brown have said they have a lot to learn

TheAnalyst
10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Bradshaw will stay the #1, but obviously Wilson will get more carries as soon as he gets his blocking down.

POP IT AHMAD!

Buddy333
10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't expect him to play much more this week than he did last week. The 49ers defense is very good and there is no way they are not going to protect Eli.

TroyArcher
10-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Coughlin is Coughlin. It's frustrating for us, but it provides great motivation for Wilson.

Thank god TC is TC.

Dwinsballgames
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Who else was there ahead of him? Tiki retired so it was BJ, Ward and AB. There wasn't a player of AB's caliber ahead of him.

GMAN2K9
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Who else was there ahead of him? Tiki retired so it was BJ, Ward and AB. There wasn't a player of AB's caliber ahead of him.

One could use the same logic, there is not a player of David Wilson's physically gifted ability ahead of him on depth chart.

I loved what Ahmad did on Sunday, especially his response to opening game with a fumble, but there is no denying Wilson is the RB of the future. And the potential to be a star.

I'd like to see Bradshaw as 1A, Wilson 1B, and Brown as our short yardage back.

Plax2theMAX
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM

If I remember Bradshaw hardly saw any time his rookie year. He burst e's on to the scene week 15 or 16 against buffalo. Then his second year was third with total amount of carries for rbs behind Jacobs and ward. It's only week 5 and Wilson already has been returning kicks and still rotting limited touches. Basically I think Wilson by then end of his first 2 years will have far more opportunities than Bradshaw did.

Drez
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
While he was not the great pass protection guy he is now early in his career, from what I can tell and recall back then Bradshaw was still lightyears ahead of where Wilson is in that department presently.

That said if the O-line can catch the 49ers napping a few times this week, Wilson could make a game changing play this week in the run game or maybe this is the week he breaks a big one for a TD on a kickoff.
Just remember, too, that AB didn't start getting a larger role in the offense until the very end of his rookie season.

GiantRoc
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I was just going to say this Plax2theMAX. But I recall seeing him make an impact a bit sooner. Bradshaw seemed to be become more of a contributer just past mid-season, from what I recall. I hope the same holds true for Wilson, because I see this kid having WAY more big play making ability than Bradshaw. Not knocking AB in the least, thats just how much up-side I see Wilson having.

Flip Empty
10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
After the limited glimpses we've had of Wilson, does anyone still long for Doug Martin?

yoeddy
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM

In Bradshaw's rookie year, this was only true after Ward broke his leg...

B-Red22
10-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Bradshaw was kind of forced into action his rookie year, that year Ward broke his leg and our only other option was Droughns

bg79
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Theres a difference between a player not being a good blocker or RB and a player who hasnt been given the opportunity to showcase if he is or not. Wilson took a run to the house (like he did during preseason) and that still didnt warrant him to receive another carry after it. It has to be frustrating and disheartening for the premise to be put in place that his lack of opportunities stems from a fumble in game 1 and that he needed to work into good graces. Meanwhile the #1 RB prior to this game was performing horribly all season and then starts the game off with a fumble yet Coughlin goes right back to him. It's almost like the rules don't apply to everyone and even though Wilson was tearing it up with the kick returns he wasnt given any other opportunities due to one simple mistake in his first game.

It's this kind of over the top conservative philosophy with rookies that makes me think that Coughlin wouldnt even be playing a rookie Adrian Peterson if we had him. If you're going to make a huge stink over the fumble like he did you need to apply that fairly to others especially those who were not performing up to the standards. It's funny though, TC sticks with the guy who fumbles and that guy gets a 200 yard game. Makes you wonder what Wilson couldve done had he been stuck with and not bailed out on.

ReiRiza
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.This!!! Just watche the Rams vs Cards game last week on NFL network...the rams backs suck at pass blocking, TC knows what they are doing.

GMan-67
10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
well this is now a 3 RB league, so you got the starter with a bulging disc in his neck and ankles with more hardware than tissue and bone, a backup RB with a concussion and a 4th string RB that hasn't shown much

so yeah, 1st round pick Wilson, you better believe he will have a larger role once he can be 80% trusted with ball security and blitz pickup

and that's why you need 3 good RBs ... it's a brutal position

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't expect him to play much more this week than he did last week. The 49ers defense is very good and there is no way they are not going to protect Eli.

A lot will depend on Brown's situation

yoeddy
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Theres a difference between a player not being a good blocker or RB and a player who hasnt been given the opportunity to showcase if he is or not. Wilson took a run to the house (like he did during preseason) and that still didnt warrant him to receive another carry after it. It has to be frustrating and disheartening for the premise to be put in place that his lack of opportunities stems from a fumble in game 1 and that he needed to work into good graces. Meanwhile the #1 RB prior to this game was performing horribly all season and then starts the game off with a fumble yet Coughlin goes right back to him. It's almost like the rules don't apply to everyone and even though Wilson was tearing it up with the kick returns he wasnt given any other opportunities due to one simple mistake in his first game.

It's this kind of over the top conservative philosophy with rookies that makes me think that Coughlin wouldnt even be playing a rookie Adrian Peterson if we had him. If you're going to make a huge stink over the fumble like he did you need to apply that fairly to others especially those who were not performing up to the standards. It's funny though, TC sticks with the guy who fumbles and that guy gets a 200 yard game. Makes you wonder what Wilson couldve done had he been stuck with and not bailed out on.

Coughlin has played, and even started, many rookies in his time as Giants head coach:

- Gibril Wilson (starter)
- Chris Snee (starter)
- Eli Manning (starter)
- Brandon Jacobs (significant role)
- Ahmad Bradshaw (significant role)
- Aaron Ross (significant role)
- Kevin Boss (significant role, starter after Shockey got hurt)
- Steve Smith (significant role)
- Kenny Philips (starter)

It's all about whether they are ready to play or not. Wilson is a great athlete...but is he actually ready to take a bigger load? The coaches see more than we do.

Signature NYG
10-09-2012, 12:20 PM
After the limited glimpses we've had of Wilson, does anyone still long for Doug Martin?

Well I can honestly say I never wanted Doug Martin. Wilson was my choice from day one as I knew we wouldn't trade up for Trent Richardson.

Glad to hear Wilson may be getting more touches soon. I believe we should go with the three headed monster approach from 08, in which bradshaw starts and gets most carries. Brown in for short yardage situations and 3rd downs, and wilson late in games to utilize his speed advantage against tired defenses, as well as screens to give him space in the open field.

But until Wilson can be counted on to block edge rushers and blitzing LB's this will not happen. The rook has to show he can consistently provide Eli with protection to get more playing time.

I believe he has he ability to do so, and I am not worried. Wilson will shine in time.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 12:21 PM

He has been given opportunities and he's the best kick returner we've had in a very long time. He has also fumbled the ball and dropped a pass. As for his run, against the Browns, I suspect the fact that he went through untouched made it easier than most 40 yard run. That's not to diminish the resulting TD.

How much time do you devote to watching Wilson at practice or in meetings?

dezzzR
10-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Also, this honestly still gives me limited hope that Wilson will see more than 4 or 5 touches. "very close" to Coughlin is pretty much like telling the media "yeah he will play eventually, stop pestering me" stubborn stubbornTC said we would start seeing more of him week 6 at the beginning of the season.

lamas
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM

BG, you're looking at this the wrong way. Not having to start rookies is a luxury that deep teams are able to afford. It's a good thing. Think of the same scenario at the college level... Would you think it wise to start a freshman over a senior? Because, that's basically what you are asking.

Coughlin sees his team practice day in and day out. It's not about a don't fumble rule (in fact, the whole "Coughlin's Doghouse" is completely overblown in my opinion), it's about being able be relied on to do your job. Wilson is still learning. Give him time. He is a first round draft choice so he will get a shot. And when he does, I have full confidence that he will make the most of it.

bg79
10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
He has been given opportunities and he's the best kick returner we've had in a very long time. He has also fumbled the ball and dropped a pass. As for his run, against the Browns, I suspect the fact that he went through untouched made it easier than most 40 yard run. That's not to diminish the resulting TD.

How much time do you devote to watching Wilson at practice or in meetings?

Cmon, don't go there with the whole the coaches see the player more than we do therefor we have no right to question any judgement kind of crap. What were those coaches seeing in practices and meeting rooms that were keeping Victor Cruz from getting a bigger role till injury forced him finally into the lineup? If you're going to fall back on that you gotta be prepared that sometimes they just flat out don't make the right judgement calls and they didnt with Cruz in that regard, or hey even JPP took longer than I liked for him to get a significant role on the defense.

The point of my previous post was that there were a different set of rules applied and that isnt a great message to send a player and could explain why some of the veterans tend to get soft here. Basically the way I see it right now is if you're a rookie or younger player you have to go to ridiculous levels to prove yourself and live up to unrealistic demands of mistake free football. However, once you've firmly entrenched yourself as a starter those rules don't apply. Fumbling, lack of effort, and just downright stinking don't seem to matter once you've already gotten the position. It could explain why Osi, Tuck, Diehl, and Bradshaw up until yesterdays game have flat out stunk this season. If Tom is going to be his legendary hardass self when it comes to certain things then he needs to apply that same standard to the whole team and not just play favorites with the vets.

Other teams arent afraid to lean heavily on their rookies. Look at the browns using Richardson as basically their only playmaker. Something tells me that if he were a Giant he'd be relegated to a similar role that Wilson has as we'd be debating on whether he has the knowledge of the plays or blocking ability to be out there over Bradshaw. At some point in time you gotta just see what you have. Bradshaw had 30 carries last game for his 200 yards, was there really a need for him to have so many carries and us not get more of a look at Wilson or even Scott (if he was even dressed). The game was essentially over and we were still feeding Bradshaw carries, why not get a look especially after Wilson showed what he could do with his tiny amount of carries. It's just a source of frustration as a fan because we can all see the talent out of Wilson and know he can't utilize it when he isnt in the game, let the kid play!

BigBlue1971
10-09-2012, 12:50 PM

i trust TCs decisions with Wilson. TC has taken the same approach with most rookies on his teams. he knows when they are ready!

with the uncertainty of Brown this week Wilsons role will prolly be larger! the touchdown he scored Sunday could be the confidence builder he needs to break out!

Cloud57
10-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Even Tebow gets more carries than this guy

bg79
10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
BG, you're looking at this the wrong way. Not having to start rookies is a luxury that deep teams are able to afford. It's a good thing. Think of the same scenario at the college level... Would you think it wise to start a freshman over a senior? Because, that's basically what you are asking.

Coughlin sees his team practice day in and day out. It's not about a don't fumble rule (in fact, the whole "Coughlin's Doghouse" is completely overblown in my opinion), it's about being able be relied on to do your job. Wilson is still learning. Give him time. He is a first round draft choice so he will get a shot. And when he does, I have full confidence that he will make the most of it.

Maybe for the other positions but RB is almost universally regarded as the easiest one to make an impact on as a rookie. The period of time for a RB to be effective in the league is extremely short and we're doing our team a disservice by not milking those younger years of our RB's and instead letting them stew a few years before utilized to their full effectiveness. By then they're a bit slower and have racked up a few more injuries before getting used heavily. We saw it when it was just AB and BJ back there and it took basically a full season before AB was utilized more than BJ even though BJ was not running like he used to. I feel we wasted some additional production out of AB by waiting so long to use him and instead went with the more ineffective back.

yoeddy
10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Cmon, don't go there with the whole the coaches see the player more than we do therefor we have no right to question any judgement kind of crap. What were those coaches seeing in practices and meeting rooms that were keeping Victor Cruz from getting a bigger role till injury forced him finally into the lineup? If you're going to fall back on that you gotta be prepared that sometimes they just flat out don't make the right judgement calls and they didnt with Cruz in that regard, or hey even JPP took longer than I liked for him to get a significant role on the defense.

The point of my previous post was that there were a different set of rules applied and that isnt a great message to send a player and could explain why some of the veterans tend to get soft here. Basically the way I see it right now is if you're a rookie or younger player you have to go to ridiculous levels to prove yourself and live up to unrealistic demands of mistake free football. However, once you've firmly entrenched yourself as a starter those rules don't apply. Fumbling, lack of effort, and just downright stinking don't seem to matter once you've already gotten the position. It could explain why Osi, Tuck, Diehl, and Bradshaw up until yesterdays game have flat out stunk this season. If Tom is going to be his legendary hardass self when it comes to certain things then he needs to apply that same standard to the whole team and not just play favorites with the vets.

Other teams arent afraid to lean heavily on their rookies. Look at the browns using Richardson as basically their only playmaker. Something tells me that if he were a Giant he'd be relegated to a similar role that Wilson has as we'd be debating on whether he has the knowledge of the plays or blocking ability to be out there over Bradshaw. At some point in time you gotta just see what you have. Bradshaw had 30 carries last game for his 200 yards, was there really a need for him to have so many carries and us not get more of a look at Wilson or even Scott (if he was even dressed). The game was essentially over and we were still feeding Bradshaw carries, why not get a look especially after Wilson showed what he could do with his tiny amount of carries. It's just a source of frustration as a fan because we can all see the talent out of Wilson and know he can't utilize it when he isnt in the game, let the kid play!

Whoa, they have to prove themselves to get playing time? Seriously?

GiantRoc
10-09-2012, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=yoeddy;525223]

- Gibril Wilson (starter)- Chris Snee (starter)-- Eli Manning (starter)
- Brandon Jacobs (significant role)-- Ahmad Bradshaw (significant role)
- Aaron Ross (significant role)-- Kevin Boss (significant role, starter after Shockey got hurt)
- Steve Smith (significant role)- - Kenny Philips (starter)

Your list had only 2 RB's Neither had a "significant role". Jacobs was goal line and short yardage almost exclusively. Bradshaw was #3 and didn't get a lot of play until after mid season. And then there is Eli. And Eli is just Eli. A whole other category.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 01:05 PM

What rules are you talking about? TC has always had the "if you fumble the ball you are in the dog hose" rule.

Victor Cruz benefited fror Steve Smith's injury but he was also a unique case we don't often see.

Wilson may benefit from Andre Brown's injury if he can't play Sunday

yoeddy
10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=yoeddy;525223]

- Gibril Wilson (starter)- Chris Snee (starter)-- Eli Manning (starter)
- Brandon Jacobs (significant role)-- Ahmad Bradshaw (significant role)
- Aaron Ross (significant role)-- Kevin Boss (significant role, starter after Shockey got hurt)
- Steve Smith (significant role)- - Kenny Philips (starter)

Your list had only 2 RB's Neither had a "significant role". Jacobs was goal line and short yardage almost exclusively. Bradshaw was #3 and didn't get a lot of play until after mid season. And then there is Eli. And Eli is just Eli. A whole other category.

How many HBs have we drafted since Coughlin has been here? BJ, Bradshaw, Andre Brown and Wilson....Andre Brown got injured in training camp and missed the season, and Wilson is still growing into his role. Not sure how many others you want me to list.

Goal-line and short yardage is not a significant role? I beg to differ...and usually that role goes to a veteran (see guys like Ottis Anderson, Marcus Allen, and other guys who are reliable to not lose the ball.

In any case, I have faith in TC and the coaching staff to prepare players to play...and to know when someone is ready to take on more responsibility or not.

CDN_G-FAN
10-09-2012, 01:19 PM
please.

more than anything Coughlin is protecting Eli.

it keeps happening, it keeps coming out in the media, even Brown said it in his post big game interview, and fans continue to be completely blind about it.

Prove that you can protect the QB, and you'll get more carries on this offense.

Brown was flat out asked the question about does he think he should get more playing time as a result of his big game and his answer started with "well, if you want to get on the field in my position you have to be able to protect your QB first so........."

i don't want RBs learning on the job given how important our QB is to the success of our offense.

I don't understand what the hellfire rush is. First it was giving the kid a chance, then it was we're not doing well with our current RBs, now we are having success running the ball and still all this heat about getting Wilson on the field.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 01:23 PM
please.

more than anything Coughlin is protecting Eli.

it keeps happening, it keeps coming out in the media, even Brown said it in his post big game interview, and fans continue to be completely blind about it.

Prove that you can protect the QB, and you'll get more carries on this offense.

Brown was flat out asked the question about does he think he should get more playing time as a result of his big game and his answer started with "well, if you want to get on the field in my position you have to be able to protect your QB first so........."

i don't want RBs learning on the job given how important our QB is to the success of our offense.

I don't understand what the hellfire rush is. First it was giving the kid a chance, then it was we're not doing well with our current RBs, now we are having success running the ball and still all this heat about getting Wilson on the field.

+1

Tony Bruno
10-09-2012, 01:26 PM
No doubt DW will see the feild more... I think he is very lucky to see the feild period (considering TC's coaching style)... With that said TC must be pretty high on the kid to let him assume the return role so early... I think they are letting him larn and Ill bet we will see more of him later in the season... I think he will emerge down the stretch like AB did his 1st year... Last week against CLE was the best way to take advantage of the precious time you get!!!

CDN_G-FAN
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Consistently, regardless of the journalist, the Giants are thought of as the best team for UFAs to try and get a role because this coaching staff is universally thought of as the most likely to play someone who earns the role regardless of when they're drafted.

the point is the giants don't HAVE to start their rookies, and that's not a bad thing.

what's the big friggin rush? because Wilson's got jets?

BurnerNYG
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Coach Coughlin is a great coach, I'm not doubting his decision on not giving Wilson a bigger role although I wish he can contribute more. I just hate how he does rookies at times. If this team didn't have a QB and we drafted Luck or RG3, they'll be sitting on the bench just like Eli did. Some positions like the HB gotta almost get put in immediately and learn on the fly. Just because we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years doesn't mean he's the supreme all knowing coach... more than us obviously but how he handle rookies sometimes kind of bothers me.

yoeddy
10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Coach Coughlin is a great coach, I'm not doubting his decision on not giving Wilson a bigger role although I wish he can contribute more. I just hate how he does rookies at times. If this team didn't have a QB and we drafted Luck or RG3, they'll be sitting on the bench just like Eli did. Some positions like the HB gotta almost get put in immediately and learn on the fly. Just because we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years doesn't mean he's the supreme all knowing coach... more than us obviously but how he handle rookies sometimes kind of bothers me.

Eli became a starter his rookie season.

drewz
10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
49ers are ball hawks, I'd be weary of him getting the ball there

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Even Tebow gets more carries than this guy

And how's that been working out?

BurnerNYG
10-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Eli became a starter his rookie season.Yeah like week nine or ten. HB's are gonna fumble, it's the nature of the business. Defenders get paid to tackle and go after the ball. Does he need to protect the ball better? Yes without a doubt but that doesn't mean he should be benched because of one fumble. I'm talking about the Dallas game obviously.

giantsfan420
10-09-2012, 01:47 PM
49ers are ball hawks, I'd be weary of him getting the ball there

this...im all for giving dw more carries, just dont know if the 9ers r the team to do it against.

yoeddy
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah like week nine or ten. HB's are gonna fumble, it's the nature of the business. Defenders get paid to tackle and go after the ball. Does he need to protect the ball better? Yes without a doubt but that doesn't mean he should be benched because of one fumble. I'm talking about the Dallas game obviously.

Big division game...rookie's first NFL game ever...lots on the line. Isn't that exactly the time when you would rather go with experience?

GiantRoc
10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=GiantRoc;525286]

Goal-line and short yardage is not a significant role? .

That is corret. His role was ,"Here is the ball. Run in that hole." Straight ahead Power. Limited responsiblity. Limited situations. Limited roll. I absolutely agree with you on that last statement. I have faith that they have prepared him. You don't really know what you have until you use it though.

nycsportzfan
10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is. not to mention, catch the ball, as hes dropped 3outta4 passes his way, and hes all ready demonstrated fumbling issues. I mean, the TD run and KO returns were mostly due to insane blocking.. The holes were so big Hynoski could of ran wild.. That said, it would be all right to give em a few extra looks, but its no ones fault but his own, to why its taking this long...

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 03:18 PM
How much time do you spend watching Wilson in practice?

about 0. maybe negative time.

as you can tell, I am obsessed with im. just like I was jacobs. just like Bradshaw. Then darell scott. And now Wilson. Before long it will be some other back...

miked1958
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.Agreed. However then figure out creative ways to get the ball in his hands. line up both AB and Wilson in back field. Let AB block and send wilson out for a pass in space.. even a screen with some blocking this kid can turn into a HUGE gain. he has the ablility to make something out of nothing. but he cant do that sitting on the bench

miked1958
10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
he could be the guy that SF doesnt account for and could be the XFactor in that game Sunday

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
oh yeah and I was high on Brown too before he tore his achilles. I guess they Giants just have a special nac for drafting RB's. I mean i know they are a dime a dozen but it seems like we get consistent production from relatively inexpensive contracts. And that is HUGE

Take WR for example. We are paying ALL of our wideouts for a few million less than what Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson is making alone. in base salary.

Sometimes we need to look at the ratio of production to salary in order to evaluate the effectiveness of our FO as it pertains to different positions.
Example: WR, FB,RB,TE (seems to be all offense, huh?) we are doing an excellent job the past few years with getting production for a low price.

Safety, CB, DL not so much.

johnson
he could be the guy that SF doesnt account for and could be the XFactor in that game Sunday

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4119/4876696414_d3f62d18be_z.jpg

RoanokeFan
about 0. maybe negative time.

as you can tell, I am obsessed with im. just like I was jacobs. just like Bradshaw. Then darell scott. And now Wilson. Before long it will be some other back...

Try trusting the coaching staff, it has a calming effect

Flip Empty
10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Too bad the Giants don't account for him, either. :p

thomsoad
Just to paraphrase what you said ... "BROWNS".
Your using a 0-4 team that we just crushed as your example of why rookies need to start?
Richardson doesnt have the LUXURY Wilson is receiving.

johnson
Too bad the Giants don't account for him, either. :p

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ***51bC1VU_EUbVPgs8v9KGxHjyaSi emO3NYGwicb8baOxNoPFA

miked1958
10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
oh yeah and I was high on Brown too before he tore his achilles. I guess they Giants just have a special nac for drafting RB's. I mean i know they are a dime a dozen but it seems like we get consistent production from relatively inexpensive contracts. And that is HUGE

Take WR for example. We are paying ALL of our wideouts for a few million less than what Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson is making alone. in base salary.

Sometimes we need to look at the ratio of production to salary in order to evaluate the effectiveness of our FO as it pertains to different positions.
Example: WR, FB,RB,TE (seems to be all offense, huh?) we are doing an excellent job the past few years with getting production for a low price.

Safety, CB, DL not so much.Wait a minute.. did i miss something??? I know i have been off for a few days but i scan all the threads when i come on. I didnt see anything about Brown tearing his achillies... all i heard was he banged his head and would have to be evauated by the league before he could play again due to a concussion... is there a link on this?

Flip Empty
10-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Just a concussion, as far as I know. I was also confused by that line.

miked1958
10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Just a concussion, as far as I know. I was also confused by that line.I think he may be referring when he was a Rookie and torn it and we Cut him.

There is nothing mentioned in regard to him retearing it. He got hit on the kickoff and knocked out i heard. that was it for him. he didnt get any carries after that. so thus no torn achillies.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Wait a minute.. did i miss something??? I know i have been off for a few days but i scan all the threads when i come on. I didnt see anything about Brown tearing his achillies... all i heard was he banged his head and would have to be evauated by the league before he could play again due to a concussion... is there a link on this?

His first trip here he tore his achilles. That was like 7 teams ago

joemorrisforprez
10-09-2012, 03:52 PM

I'll take these comments in a very positive light. It means Wilson is heading in the right direction.

Frankly, I think the Giants are going to need him against the 49ers.....his speed could have a huge impact on the game.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
I'll take these comments in a very positive light. It means Wilson is heading in the right direction.

Frankly, I think the Giants are going to need him against the 49ers.....his speed could have a huge impact on the game.

Maybe it will be next man up for Wilson

egyptian420
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
this is probably the last team you want to test out a young RB by giving him a larger role. I expect something similar to last game but I'll tell you what, if he makes huge plays against that 49ers defense, expect him to have a Massive role in the next game.

GMAN2K9
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Is that a young Andy Reid?! Like before his Lorax mustache swallowed most of his face?

dave56dj
10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
With Andre Brown out Coughlin has little choice in the matter. That said the kid has shown (ON HIS FIRST REGULAR HAND OFF - everything else was a pitch - one delay) that he can absolutely be electric and he has to get touches. No problem with tom bringing him in slowly after the fumble - lesson learned hopefully. Yes the niners are stout and yes every yard is earned - but thats no reason to not get a playmaker the ball. He may not have his best say but you gotta stick with the run and usually a hole or two breaks at some point. Lets hope 22 is in one at some point - cause the next thing you'll see is a saftey turning his head to see 22 on a back.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 07:32 PM
With Andre Brown out Coughlin has little choice in the matter. That said the kid has shown (ON HIS FIRST REGULAR HAND OFF - everything else was a pitch - one delay) that he can absolutely be electric and he has to get touches. No problem with tom bringing him in slowly after the fumble - lesson learned hopefully. Yes the niners are stout and yes every yard is earned - but thats no reason to not get a playmaker the ball. He may not have his best say but you gotta stick with the run and usually a hole or two breaks at some point. Lets hope 22 is in one at some point - cause the next thing you'll see is a saftey turning his head to see 22 on a back.

We don't yet know if Brown will play or not on Sunday.

brad
10-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I understand the frustration with wanting to get Wilson on the field... I would love to see more of him too, but one thing Coughlin does well is to make sure his young guys are ready before putting them on the field. He is bringing him along slowly, just as he has done so many times before with various players. It works, and this is one case where I don't question it. Yes, I want to see more Wilson, but not at the expense of going through the growing pains that all rookies go through. AB has proven he is more than capable of handling the majority of the load while Wilson is groomed for what is most likely going to be the starting role. Should AB struggle, we can all feel fairly confident in Wilson being able to come in and contribute.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I understand the frustration with wanting to get Wilson on the field... I would love to see more of him too, but one thing Coughlin does well is to make sure his young guys are ready before putting them on the field. He is bringing him along slowly, just as he has done so many times before with various players. It works, and this is one case where I don't question it. Yes, I want to see more Wilson, but not at the expense of going through the growing pains that all rookies go through. AB has proven he is more than capable of handling the majority of the load while Wilson is groomed for what is most likely going to be the starting role. Should AB struggle, we can all feel fairly confident in Wilson being able to come in and contribute.

Wilson has been reported to be working very hard at practice and it's showing. He's not been relegated to bench warming as he's the undisputed kick returner. They are developing him as is there habit. Had Brown not had such a stellar start to the season we may have seen Wilson a abit more. But he's better off getting his reads and blocking down before he has to be thrown into the game unprepared. He will continue top get touches and the best thing he can do is what he did last Sunday.

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Everyone is acting like the niners have some sort of defense that is rookie proof. Somehow Wilson against the niners defense = utter disaster?? C'mon guys lets be serious with ourselves. Rookie or not (let alone A FIRST ROUNDER) everyone in this league is a professional and anything can happen on any given Sunday. I would NOT be surprised if we ran for over 96 yards. not one bit

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Did the Germans hesitate during WWII? No

Did Michael Scott give up all hope for Holly because of A.J? No

Did Emeral Lagassi stop making food because his fat cousin told him it taste like ****? No

Should the Giants not run Wilson just because the niners have a 'good' defense? NO

giantsfan420
10-09-2012, 07:50 PM

ya know what, he may even be more effective as a rb vs SF than bradshaw in the aspect that SF DL and LBs shed blocks and get into gaps so quickly that having a RB who can burst thru a crack in the line in the blink of an eye may be better bc it would mean the OL doesnt have to sustain their blocks as long...just throwing that out there.

and to the post abut ppl thinking SF's D is "rookie-proof" and that bc wilson is a rookie he shouldnt be featured...its not that at all, its bc Wilson may have ball handling issues and SF is NASTY at trying to cause fumbles...thats it. and it could hurt his maturation if he plays and has a couple of fumbles that cost us a game...

NYGabriel
10-09-2012, 08:12 PM
How close is Da'Rel Scott?

FBomb
10-09-2012, 08:23 PM

You'd think that would have ended this debate. Nope. People are in love with their own opinions....even in the face of great logic.

miked1958
10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
this is probably the last team you want to test out a young RB by giving him a larger role. I expect something similar to last game but I'll tell you what, if he makes huge plays against that 49ers defense, expect him to have a Massive role in the next game.thats just the thing. Wilson is to new and young to be intimidated by them. He doesn't know any better. He doesn't know he not supposed to be able to go out there and tear off long 50/60 yard TDs against that defense

brad
10-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Wilson has been reported to be working very hard at practice and it's showing. He's not been relegated to bench warming as he's the undisputed kick returner. They are developing him as is there habit. Had Brown not had such a stellar start to the season we may have seen Wilson a abit more. But he's better off getting his reads and blocking down before he has to be thrown into the game unprepared. He will continue top get touches and the best thing he can do is what he did last Sunday.

I did not mean to suggest he was relegated to the bench.... "They are developing him as is there habit"... that's exactly what I was saying.

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I did not mean to suggest he was relegated to the bench.... "They are developing him as is there habit"... that's exactly what I was saying.

That wasn't really directed at you, I got carried away in the woosh of negativity :rolleyes:

brad
10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
That wasn't really directed at you, I got carried away in the woosh of negativity :rolleyes:

OK :)

nhpgiantsfan
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM

Completely wrong. Rookies and vets do not get the same rules. Rookie has to earn trust, the vet has it already. AB's fumble this week was a weird play where Snee smashed into him right on the ball. He didn't get stripped. And as far as the blocking. Maybe he has had the chance to show his skills in practic and hasn't done a good job. Don't worry you can save your Wilson jersey, it will be his job soon.

Jiffy Jeff
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM

Yeppers.......I could have busted a few dandy runs with the line we had back then. But probably not now because I'm always wasted all the time. I AM still pretty spry on my feet, though.

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 10:39 PM
I lieu of Wilson madness on these boards, AB is still one heck of running back. Its sad to see his great blue journey come to an end. But the time is near. A changing of the guards looms soon in the wind.

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Shall it not, blame must be put forth onto those in command. Coughlin must be fired hath the trigger be untouched.

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 10:42 PM
even the niners fans fear the guy. ahahaha DAVIDDDDD WILSONNNNN. the man, the muscle, the myth straight from VT to your home screen, the greatest show in blue!!!!!!!

nhpgiantsfan
10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Shall it not, blame must be put forth onto those in command. Coughlin must be fired hath the trigger be untouched.

Yes good idea, fire the two time SB winning coach for being conservative with a rookie RB. Thank God you're not the GM.

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Yes good idea, fire the two time SB winning coach for being conservative with a rookie RB. Thank God you're not the GM.

and thank god you are so serious

its called comedy. If you read it correctly, it should sound absurd..

"Shall It Not" "Hath The Trigger Be Untouched" c'mon this cant be taken literally

Parademon
10-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Wow! I was thinking along the same lines. But I think where he can really hurt the 9ers & set us up with sweet field positions is in the return game. If he can get us starting field position at the 30-35-40yd line, that would be awesome. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes one to the house in this game.

I'd like to see him get at least 10-12 carries in this game to keep the 9er D off balance. He has the speed to take it to the outside & get positive yds.

Mod_C
10-09-2012, 11:23 PM
and thank god you are so serious its called comedy. If you read it correctly, it should sound absurd.. "Shall It Not" "Hath The Trigger Be Untouched" c'mon this cant be taken literally This is why we ask posters use red font for sarcasm. It helps eliminate doubt and/or confusion.

giantsfan420
10-09-2012, 11:30 PM
i want to add that i hope we're closer to DW and AB2 getting larger roles. not bc of any dislike of bradshaw but bc we will need bradshaw for the entire season and post season. if we have to continually run AB 30x a game, he won't last another month imho and if he does somehow last, he prob wont be very effective (worn down).
i remember that with jacobs, the past two yrs we used him sparingly early in the season to try and save him for the push to the playoffs and playoff run. now granted we were afforded that luxury bc we had 2 starters basically with AB and BJ....and for the most part, the theory worked pretty well. Jacobs had that 100 yd game away at dallas in his only real game as the feature back aside from a couple others iirc.

now, the question is, are DW and AB2 ready? I believe they are. The only thing, testing them vs SF could lead to some issues, like if either fumble a couple times, it could devastate their psyche (and football is 90% mental). Im glad we have TC as the coach bc i believe he'll make the right decision. I honestly wouldnt be opposed to given DW a few more carries than recently, but nothing too big. might need to rely on bradshaw solely for one more week (meaning he gets like 90% of the carries and snaps)

Imgrate
10-10-2012, 12:22 AM
This is why we ask posters use red font for sarcasm. It helps eliminate doubt and/or confusion.red font is for children that lack communication skills. if something is typed in red, i automatically skip over reading that post

BillTheGreek
10-10-2012, 12:54 AM
WILSON is Ready ! Put him in and turn him loose, he won't disappoint you ! The Niners heads will spin, when they see him RUN by !

GO WILSON ! No Back Flips, unless Tom C says it's OK !

EmpireStateG
10-10-2012, 12:59 AM

I seriously cannot stop laughing.

giant-4-life
10-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I seriously cannot stop laughing.

LOL Well he will see alot more action against the niners. to help establish a great running game

Eliscruzzz
10-10-2012, 01:02 AM
I seriously cannot stop laughing.HAHAHHAA WTF FUNNIEST THIN I'VE SEEN ALL DAY!!!!!!

BillTheGreek
10-10-2012, 01:04 AM
even the niners fans fear the guy. ahahaha DAVIDDDDD WILSONNNNN. the man, the muscle, the myth straight from VT to your home screen, the greatest show in blue!!!!!!!

Turn WILSON Loose !

BillTheGreek
10-10-2012, 01:10 AM
One could use the same logic, there is not a player of David Wilson's physically gifted ability ahead of him on depth chart.

I loved what Ahmad did on Sunday, especially his response to opening game with a fumble, but there is no denying Wilson is the RB of the future. And the potential to be a star.

I'd like to see Bradshaw as 1A, Wilson 1B, and Brown as our short yardage back.

I Agree ! Turn him Loose !

EmpireStateG
10-10-2012, 01:15 AM
HAHAHHAA WTF FUNNIEST THIN I'VE SEEN ALL DAY!!!!!!

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but my days have been pretty boring lately... so I did find that pretty damned funny. ;)

TheShouldersOf
10-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Has anyone actually seen him Pass Block? he had a couple good pick up's in pre-season, again with limited time,

Bradshaw fumbled first play, carries 30 times, Brown missed a block that resulted in the only Sack of the Panthers game,

i watched Wilson in college, i wanted him on the Giants, and i would love to see him be the Starter, obviously those are biased dreams,

everyone keeps saying he can't pass block, but no one has actually seen him, except the Coaches, and when people interview anyone about Wilson, that hasn't been the topic of conversation,

have any of you played football? and not backyard football i mean regulated football, i have, Running Back, practice and Real Time differ

DownWitJPP
10-10-2012, 04:09 AM
kids gonna be a star in this league for a long time. They are just bringing him along slowly

Captain Chaos
10-10-2012, 04:51 AM
They need to do something because Bradshaw will not be able to continue rushing 30 times a game and stay healthy. Wilson will need to pick p some of that load this week.

BillTheGreek
10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Don't put Wilson in to pass block as of yet ! But put him in to Run & Return punts ! He's Ready, did you see that TD run Last week ! Bradshaw needs a rest once in a while. Besides Wilson can and will deliver..... I don't CARE If he's a Rookie , Look at all the Rookies who have excelled this year !

GO GIANTS turn WILSON LOOSE !!!!

RoanokeFan
10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
red font is for children that lack communication skills. if something is typed in red, i automatically skip over reading that post

And yet we see posters routinely misunderstand. For the record, we do have children posting here. Ignoring posts is certainly a prerogative.

RoanokeFan
10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
They need to do something because Bradshaw will not be able to continue rushing 30 times a game and stay healthy. Wilson will need to pick p some of that load this week.

He will assuming Brown can't play

NYGabriel
10-10-2012, 06:43 AM
What about Da'Rel Scott? He's much faster than Wilson.

RoanokeFan
10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
What about Da'Rel Scott? He's much faster than Wilson.

Look at the depth chart

RoanokeFan
10-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Don't put Wilson in to pass block as of yet ! But put him in to Run & Return punts ! He's Ready, did you see that TD run Last week ! Bradshaw needs a rest once in a while. Besides Wilson can and will deliver..... I don't CARE If he's a Rookie , Look at all the Rookies who have excelled this year ! GO GIANTS turn WILSON LOOSE !!!! All and good time

Harooni
10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a feeling his package will increase this game.

RoanokeFan
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM

I could have bet you'd have a delivery for us lol

dezzzR
10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I have a feeling his package will increase this game.:D mine did after his 40 yard td.

Dwinsballgames
10-10-2012, 11:21 AM

LOL that was freakin halarious