PDA

View Full Version : Joe Martinek added to Giants' Practice Squad

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/9/3480330/joe-martinek-added-to-giants-practice-squad

Excerpt: "Former Rutgers University running back Joe Martinek is back with the New York Giants, having been added to the team's practice squad on Tuesday.

Martinek, an undrafted free agent, was with the Giants during the preseason and was impressive enough that there was some thought he would make the practice squad from the beginning. He caught two passes in the preseason for 21 yards and a touchdown, but was waived before the season started.

The Giants brought him back Tuesday, however. To make room on the eight-man practice squad the Giants terminated the contract of defensive end Craig Marshall." Read more..

GameTime
10-09-2012, 05:07 PM
cool....good to see a Jersey boy with some hope......
or maybe they just brought him in to be the RB to mimic Gore/Hunter for this weeks practice....

giantsfan420
10-09-2012, 05:09 PM
that kinda sucks i liked craig marshalls game. he was teammates with JPP as USF iirc, and he was a raw project as well. he looked like he came a long way...i could see him being successful somewhere down the road

RoanokeFan
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
cool....good to see a Jersey boy with some hope......
or maybe they just brought him in to be the RB to mimic Gore/Hunter for this weeks practice....

That would make sense

NYGabriel
10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I was surprised he was waived. I'm equally surprised they brought him back. He's too small to play TE or FB. I guess if Danny Woodhead can have an NFL career as a RB Jersey Joe can.

Eliscruzzz
10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Who's this guy????what do you guys think he's going to play??

GameTime
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Who's this guy????what do you guys think he's going to play??
from Rutgers and a Jersey native. He is a running back. I think we just like native talent. No one thinks he is playing anytime soon.
I think he is there to mimic the opposing RBs for this weeks practice

Shockeystays08
10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
that kinda sucks i liked craig marshalls game. he was teammates with JPP as USF iirc, and he was a raw project as well. he looked like he came a long way...i could see him being successful somewhere down the road
+1

NorwoodBlue
10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
+1

These are the silly games that get played with the practice squad. If we have a DE injury, and Andre Brown is cleared to play, Marshall could be back next week and Martinek could be back on the street. They might just want a back with Martinek's skills for the practices this week, to mock one of the SF backs. It really doesn't mean anything for the active roster, or for the future. The practice squad is officially 8; but the reality is there's 10 or 11 guys out there who will bounce on and off all season. I'm kind of surprised Perriloux hasn't found his way back on yet. I'm sure those guys are told to stay in shape, and be ready to get called back at any time.

jomo
10-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Who's this guy????what do you guys think he's going to play??Wow, you missed an entire summer of listening to the Scarlet Knights faithful here singing his praises. He does have talent and showed some grit in the pre-season. He is a power back but not a full back. He can catch and he has a reputation of being a smart player. Not sure where he fits with us short of injuries but not a bad pickup.

Eliscruzzz
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Wow, you missed an entire summer of listening to the Scarlet Knights faithful here singing his praises. He does have talent and showed some grit in the pre-season. He is a power back but not a full back. He can catch and he has a reputation of being a smart player. Not sure where he fits with us short of injuries but not a bad pickup.Well in that case welcome to the team... You guys might hate me for saying this but I'm a VT and WV fan I never really liked Rutgers.

Cloud57
10-09-2012, 06:15 PM
a White RB?????

jomo
10-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Well in that case welcome to the team... You guys might hate me for saying this but I'm a VT and WV fan I never really liked Rutgers.I like Rutgers more now that Schiano is gone, what a classless act. All he ever wanted to do was follow Paterno at Penn State. All that crap about his loyalty to Rutgers in turning down other offers had nothing at all to do with loyalty. It had only to do with him sitting on the Nittany Lions job.

speed3freak
10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Well in that case welcome to the team... You guys might hate me for saying this but I'm a VT and WV fan I never really liked Rutgers.

I find it odd that you would even have ANY feelings towards what was for years an extremely poor football program. Rutgers was that easy game for everyone.

FBomb
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
2 words..Re Peat

TheAnalyst
10-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Did Ojomo get any snaps last week?

Martyr
10-09-2012, 07:32 PM
a White RB?????

Racist!

CowboysSuck
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I like Martinek, was high on him being undrafted and all. I think he can be an effective player. Put him at RB, FB, TE depending on the play. Hes a huge guy who can run, and a versatile blocker for pulling, etc. I think his biggest asset is as a larger RB though, he could protect well assuming he knows the assignments and is extremely fast for his size.

slipknottin
10-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I think he may be playing Vernon Davis for the week, to be honest. Think he gets waived next week and Marshall comes back.

GameTime
10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I think he may be playing Vernon Davis for the week, to be honest. Think he gets waived next week and Marshall comes back.
I think he is here for practice purposes as well

GMan-67
10-09-2012, 10:37 PM
2nd biggest move of the year ... 1st was when we invited him to camp :)

thomsoad
10-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Only 2 possible reasons to bring this kid back:
Special teams help (not sure why) and/or A Brown is more hurt then Giants are letting on.
My bet is A Brown is done for the year.

G-Men Surg.
10-10-2012, 01:33 AM
I was surprised he was waived. I'm equally surprised they brought him back. He's too small to play TE or FB. I guess if Danny Woodhead can have an NFL career as a RB Jersey Joe can.
Can this be a writing on the wall that Andre Brown is more banged up than we all think ? More than a concussion ?

giantsfan420
10-10-2012, 01:35 AM
here we go with guys suddenly being put on IR by the fans for nothing serious. he had a concussion...remember, they added him to the PS not active roster. he very well could be brought in for scout team reasons to simulate gore/k.hunter as others have suggested.
that would really suck if brown had to go on ir, but i seriously seriously doubt it

G-Men Surg.
10-10-2012, 01:44 AM
here we go with guys suddenly being put on IR by the fans for nothing serious. he had a concussion...remember, they added him to the PS not active roster. he very well could be brought in for scout team reasons to simulate gore/k.hunter as others have suggested.
that would really suck if brown had to go on ir, but i seriously seriously doubt it
LOL! i'm just putting the question out there bro. That been said there's a lot of stuff coaches and medical staff don't tell about the status of players injuries. I guess you are right about Brown's concussion and hope he comes back 100 %, that been said this kind of injuries are tricky and can linger .

giantsfan420
10-10-2012, 01:53 AM
i didnt mean to make it seem like i was singling you out. sorry if came across that way

Captain Chaos
10-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Yawnnnnn, don't remember PS additions being such a big thing. He's a Jersey boy I guess.....

Cool Papa B.
10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I like Martinek, was high on him being undrafted and all. I think he can be an effective player. Put him at RB, FB, TE depending on the play. Hes a huge guy who can run, and a versatile blocker for pulling, etc. I think his biggest asset is as a larger RB though, he could protect well assuming he knows the assignments and is extremely fast for his size.

"Huge guy"?.....he's not huge. "extremely fast"?

GMENAGAIN
10-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Only 2 possible reasons to bring this kid back:
Special teams help (not sure why) and/or A Brown is more hurt then Giants are letting on.
My bet is A Brown is done for the year.

How is he going to help on ST's from the practice squad?

Toadofsteel
10-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm guessing he was brought in to play Frank Gore on the scout team as well... Wilson used to do that (he played the role of ****ty McCoy in week 3, and Trent in week 4), but I have a feeling that Wilson will now be used in our offense more, so we needed a guy like that to emulate SF's RBs.

My question is, if Andre Brown clears physicals, would he be used to emulate Brandon Jacobs?

zimonami
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Good luck, Joe.
Can you imagine how excited he is today?
I have a friend who was on the [practice squad in '86, and earned himself a ring with his name on it. I'll post the pic of it, and the other 3 Giant SB rings he purchased. Very nice to see all 4 rings at once.

TuckandRolle
10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Happy for him, but he's small. I ran track against him in high school lol.