PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning leading the league in DYAR

crossouttheeyes
10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
DYAR is a stat footballoutsiders.com made up to show the positive or negative impact of a player on their team over time. It takes into to account league averages and plays are assigned a point value based on their importance. I'm not going to explain the whole statistic here, they have a link on their website, but it's an interesting stat that may be the best way to measure how much a player helps his team win or loss. Eli Manning is currently leading the league in the stat which means according to football outsiders he's been the most effective QB in the NFL through 5 weeks at helping his team win. I just thought you guys would find this interesting.

Article that mentions Eli is leading the league: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-5-dvoa-ratings

Article Explaining what these stats mean:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

giantsfan420
10-10-2012, 05:48 PM
MVP MVP MVP...

crossouttheeyes
10-10-2012, 05:56 PM
It's still early, but it looks like a three horse race between Eli, Matt Ryan, and Ben right now.

rainierjef
10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
It will take 5000+ yards 35+ Tds, & a 65+ completion % for eli to even be considered over the poster boys of the NFL. Eli winning the league MVP is a pipe dream

jax5338
10-10-2012, 06:28 PM
It will take 5000+ yards 35+ Tds, & a 65+ completion % for eli to even be considered over the poster boys of the NFL. Eli winning the league MVP is a pipe dream

isnt he about on pace for all of those stats though?

TheBookOfEli
10-10-2012, 06:39 PM

His numbers will most likely go down as the season progresses. Bad weather and tough schedule will do that, even to the best QB's.

Giants5699
10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
They make a new stat every day it seems... each more difficult to understand than the last.

Rudyy
10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
His numbers will most likely go down as the season progresses. Bad weather and tough schedule will do that, even to the best QB's. No NO THEY WON'T ..TAKE..TAKE THAT BACK.

crossouttheeyes
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I honestly think Eli has become somewhat of a poster boy for the NFL, like it or not. I think he'll get fair treatment in an MVP race, the media has been in love with Eli since last year. They'd definitely rather give it to clean cut Eli than Ben.

And I think 5000+ yards, 35+ Tds, a 65%+ completion percentage, and a 100+ QB rating is what it's gonna take with the numbers QBs are putting up now a days. Not saying that Eli can't or won't achieve those numbers.

This stat really isn't hard to understand and once you do take the time to understand it I find it far more telling than about any other empty stat thrown out there. It's basically situations are given value and averages, if a player performs above the average, he gains points, if he performs below it, points are subtracted. It's then just measured over time to see how effective the player is throughout the course of a season.

TheAnalyst
10-10-2012, 07:03 PM
When will you guys learn, Eli will Never win an MVP. Too much media hate out there.

giantsfan420
10-10-2012, 07:06 PM

yup. and so far, the usual "poster boys" havent had mvp like seasons up to the 1/4 at all...rodgers, brees, arent having as good as seasons as eli at all. guess up to this point, competition will be between eli, ryan, brady, and maybe ben and peyton...then again guys like aryian foster could end the streak of mvp being qbs...
and i wasnt really serious with the "mvp mvp mvp" chant i know its way too early. the stat tho just signifies to me who the mvp would be bc of the metrics it measures, and technically eli is leading the nfl in it so...

CowboysSuck
10-10-2012, 07:11 PM
DYAR is a stat footballoutsiders.com made up to show the positive or negative impact of a player on their team over time. It takes into to account league averages and plays are assigned a point value based on their importance. I'm not going to explain the whole statistic here, they have a link on their website, but it's an interesting stat that may be the best way to measure how much a player helps his team win or loss. Eli Manning is currently leading the league in the stat which means according to football outsiders he's been the most effective QB in the NFL through 5 weeks at helping his team win. I just thought you guys would find this interesting.

Article that mentions Eli is leading the league: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-5-dvoa-ratings

Article Explaining what these stats mean:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

just being curious, does your username have anything to do with the band Thursday?

crossouttheeyes
10-10-2012, 07:16 PM
just being curious, does your username have anything to do with the band Thursday?
Yes it does, one of my favorite bands of all time.

JayMas9
10-10-2012, 08:16 PM
When will you guys learn, Eli will Never win an MVP. Too much media hate out there.This simply isn't true. There's overwhelming support throughout the national media for Eli Manning, especially after last year, though it was going on while he was playing well last year. Skip Bayless is one of the only morons that gets national air time that I see saying incredibly inaccurate things about Eli Manning.

SackingMyths
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
The stats are part of the consideration. But ultimately, it tends to be (but not always) awarded to the QB on the team with the best record...

If he leads us to 13-3 or something he could seriously win it. The respect is (finally) there now.

giantsforce
10-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Article Explaining what these stats mean:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods"Eli Manning is currently leading the league in the stat which means according to football outsiders he's been the most effective QB in the NFL through 5 weeks at helping his team win." Good info. However, I do not need to see any stats to come to this conclusion. All I have to do is just watch the Giants games. This justifies it for the ones who still do not believe in Eli. (By the way, I used to be one of them and I came around not because of any stat but because of Eli's resilience, toughness and calm demeanor in a crisis situation.)

Parademon
10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Only MVP I care to have Eli win again is the SB MVP! Really, why do any of you worry about individual season awards? Let Brees, Rogers, Brady win those. Let the 49ers, Falcons send 10 players each to the Pro Bowl. I want our team in the Super Bowl!

Manning
10-10-2012, 09:56 PM
The amount of clutch talk and 4quarter time is Eli's time on the SNF game vs the Eagles almost made me sick. It was every other sentence that michaels and collinsworth spoke. It's like they were trying too hard.

jomo
10-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Article Explaining what these stats mean:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methodsThat means my eyes aren't lying!

Buddy333
10-10-2012, 10:39 PM
As of today the MVP award would go to Ryan. I think right now Eli deserves it but the media is pushing Ryan every week. I'm not saying the media hates Eli. I'm saying the media is just really big on Ryan right now. Honestly if Ryan gets the award good for him. I'll take another Super Bowl MVP for Eli. I'm sure he would too.

SackingMyths
10-10-2012, 11:18 PM
As of today the MVP award would go to Ryan. I think right now Eli deserves it but the media is pushing Ryan every week. I'm not saying the media hates Eli. I'm saying the media is just really big on Ryan right now. Honestly if Ryan gets the award good for him. I'll take another Super Bowl MVP for Eli. I'm sure he would too.

I personally don't care about league records and awards-- as if it's some great way to brag to your friends that a guy on the team you root for got the MVP.

I want it for Eli. Because he deserves, he's by far the most indispensable player on the team, and he's a great leader and person, too.

giantsfan420
10-10-2012, 11:20 PM
u know, with the way eli's always asked if he feels like he can gloat to his brother about having that extra sb and his response being "well peyton has the league mvp's so it kinda evens out" (to that extent), maybe winning the league mvp is actually a goal eli might wish to reach. who knows, but he has certainly played at an mvp level imho.

giantsfan420
10-10-2012, 11:20 PM
he really is just dominating defenses...even the losses, the offense has been lethal aside from some costly mistakes. and thats w/o nicks. i dunno i could see eli getting a ton of media attention when we win in SF off his arm

SackingMyths
10-10-2012, 11:45 PM
i could see eli getting a ton of media attention when we win in SF off his arm

Your lips---> God's ears

I'm actually watching the replay from the CLE game and man, o, man, do we have an embarrassment of riches for Eli to throw to

FlyingTruck
10-11-2012, 12:47 AM
His numbers will most likely go down as the season progresses. Bad weather and tough schedule will do that, even to the best QB's.People said that last year too and his numbers didn't drop that much towards the end of the season.

GMan-67
10-11-2012, 06:25 AM
he wont be able to win league MVP without a TD celebration move ... maybe he can come up with something during the BYE week later on

nygfanmaybe
10-11-2012, 06:36 AM
he wont be able to win league MVP without a TD celebration move ... maybe he can come up with something during the BYE week later onHe has one...just hasn't used it yet...except on SNL.

Redeyejedi
10-11-2012, 09:06 AM
It will take 5000+ yards 35+ Tds, & a 65+ completion % for eli to even be considered over the poster boys of the NFL. Eli winning the league MVP is a pipe dreamI agree. The Giants wont have the best record so that wont help him. Eli would need the Giants to have the number 1 seed and have those crazy numbers to win. even then they would give it to JJ Watt

TuckandRolle
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM

Every year that passes he is more and more involved in that conversation. Especially this year. I wouldn't call it a pipedream.

BillTheGreek
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
When will you guys learn, Eli will Never win an MVP. Too much media hate out there.

I Remember Eli when he was a little Doe.......Now he is a full grown BUCK ! He can an will achieve MVP!

NYG Super Bowl Champs

TheAnalyst
10-11-2012, 10:47 AM
This simply isn't true. There's overwhelming support throughout the national media for Eli Manning, especially after last year, though it was going on while he was playing well last year. Skip Bayless is one of the only morons that gets national air time that I see saying incredibly inaccurate things about Eli Manning.

I agree it has changed somewhat, I mean, it had to after last year right? But Remember before last year Eli wasnt even considered a top 100 player in the NFL by his peers, when he clearly was. Even after this past season he was ranked what, 35th? It has been very hard for him to get recognition and respect, and if it comes down to Rodgers or Brees vs Eli for the MVP, I would think most would chose Rodgers or Brees.

burier
10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Eli is going to take down the MVP this year. Brees needs a miracle to get in the conversation. Rogers needs a turn around aswell to be considered. The media hate that Eli has had in the past is no longer the case (as predicted by me) this season Eli has been called the best QB in football by many writers and analysts. (Even Skip Bayless). There's still a hesitance to it but we really can't point to an anti Eli media bias this season.

Now Eli's name has come up in MVP talks every season since the 07 SB and then it fades in November...this season Eli's numbers wont be off the charts but the wins against the stiff competition will be undeniable. The NFL is ready to give Eli the MVP. I mean how many superbowl MVPs can the guy take down without taking down a league MVP? No one wants to talk about it but when you name Rogers the league MVP and then he gets outclassed by Eli on his own field in a playoff game and Eli goes on to win the SB MVP its makes Rogers look like a poor MVP selection.