PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we use Domenik Hixon alittle like Percy Harvin?

nycsportzfan
10-11-2012, 10:06 AM
We all remember how great a KR Hixon was before he became a bigger part of the offense, and left the Kick returning behind.. I could see him having some ability taking end arounds and the occasional on the edge pitch and if u want to get real creative, maybe the wildcat on occasion.. Another words, i could see him being very versatile and able to be Harvin esque, in his ability to run with the ball.. Hes very wirey and slippery, and used to show off awesome moves on kick returns.. I bet he'd be solid, all around weapon, if given the chance..

I finally got my love back for Dom Hixon.. I have been waiting so long for this kid to start showing off the skill he displayed when he first came to NY as basically just a KR...

GMan-67
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
ha, 1st you guys wanted to cut him and now you want him to play some RB like Harvin does ... ah the extremes on this board, gotta love it

TroyArcher
10-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Because he is so injury prone.

Giantterp
10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Probably because he's not as fast, elusive, quick, and durable...:)

Hixon is showing this year why the coaches like him so much, but I he's no Harvin.

BlueJayC
10-11-2012, 10:20 AM
One hard move could be his last. He's a great kick returner in open space when he gets to top speed but Harvin has that ability to stop and start on a dime which guys who have had two knee surgeries typically do not. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of reverses out of him but I highly doubt we ever see him getting carries out of the backfield.

RoanokeFan
10-11-2012, 10:26 AM
We all remember how great a KR Hixon was before he became a bigger part of the offense, and left the Kick returning behind.. I could see him having some ability taking end arounds and the occasional on the edge pitch and if u want to get real creative, maybe the wildcat on occasion.. Another words, i could see him being very versatile and able to be Harvin esque, in his ability to run with the ball.. Hes very wirey and slippery, and used to show off awesome moves on kick returns.. I bet he'd be solid, all around weapon, if given the chance.. I finally got my love back for Dom Hixon.. I have been waiting so long for this kid to start showing off the skill he displayed when he first came to NY as basically just a KR...

First, we have a first rate kick returner in Wilson. Second, Hixon right now is filling in for Nicks and they're not going to have him back returning kicks

TuckandRolle
10-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Much more delicate.

burier
10-11-2012, 11:39 AM
The first time we try it his knee will end up at the opposite end of the field.

RoanokeFan
10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
The first time we try it his knee will end up at the opposite end of the field.

He returned a punt earlier in the season.

titwio
10-11-2012, 02:58 PM
If the Giants are going to use anyone in a Percy like role it should be Jernigan. Harvin was a guy he was compared to coming out of the draft. As much as I'd like to see it though I don't think it's Gildbride's style...shame cause he's someone they could get really creative with if they developed a package for him.

YATittle1962
10-11-2012, 04:15 PM
First, we have a first rate kick returner in Wilson. Second, Hixon right now is filling in for Nicks and they're not going to have him back returning kicks

and there is no way in hell they take the ball out of Elis hands for even one snap to use any sort of weak "wildcat"

Evo'Ed
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Harvin is a really interesting player.

He's a like Ronnie Harmon back for the Chargers in the 90's but faster.

Also like Eric Metcalf of the Browns but bigger and stronger.

Awesome weapon to have.

He'd be scary on a team with a more experienced QB.

Hixon's game has very few similarities to Harvin IMO.

RoanokeFan
10-11-2012, 06:25 PM
and there is no way in hell they take the ball out of Elis hands for even one snap to use any sort of weak "wildcat"

+1

BlueMonstaahhs
10-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah I definitely see Jernigan as more of a guy that fits this role in the small sample that I have actually seen of him. Quick, small, fast and elusive but will never see the field because the Giants don't like to use small receivers (not really sure why they drafted him, know they needed a receiver but could have been someone more their type.) Clearly the kid has some talent though and it would be nice to harvest that, but I just don't see Gilbride being creative/ballsy enough. He's old-school and somewhat one-dimensional at times, which comes with the Coughlin territory.

BlueSanta
10-11-2012, 10:26 PM
We dont use Hixon like Harvin because Hixon isnt as versatile as Harvin. It is that simple.

.scrimmage.
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
If the Giants are going to use anyone in a Percy like role it should be Jernigan. Harvin was a guy he was compared to coming out of the draft. As much as I'd like to see it though I don't think it's Gildbride's style...shame cause he's someone they could get really creative with if they developed a package for him.This right here. I'd love to see us try to get Jernigan in some Harvin-like packages that Minnesota runs. Line him up in the backfield, put him in the slot, try him on an end-around, hell maybe if have him throw a pass like in college. Gilbride is a good enough OC to find Jernigan even a small role in this weapon laden offense. There's no reason not to give it a shot to mix things up a bit, and if Jernigan doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world.

jax5338
10-11-2012, 11:35 PM

right. the giants rarely ever fool around with that kind of BS. the personnel is built for what the offense does now which is the best way to play. gimmick offenses are garbage IMO.

Rusty192
10-11-2012, 11:38 PM
This right here. I'd love to see us try to get Jernigan in some Harvin-like packages that Minnesota runs. Line him up in the backfield, put him in the slot, try him on an end-around, hell maybe if have him throw a pass like in college. Gilbride is a good enough OC to find Jernigan even a small role in this weapon laden offense. There's no reason not to give it a shot to mix things up a bit, and if Jernigan doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world.lol no offense, but Jernigan could barely catch a ball. And that is his position. I don't think I'd want him trying to throw as well.

Flip Empty
10-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Rolle would be more likely to feature in a wildcat set. He has a big arm and has done it before.

The Giants don't bother with that crap, though.

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 02:40 AM
ha, 1st you guys wanted to cut him and now you want him to play some RB like Harvin does ... ah the extremes on this board, gotta love it i never wanted em cut, u wierdo.. I wanted em to start showing the big time potential he displayed yrs ago.. All hes been for yrs now is a injury prone non existent, offense bogged down when hes in there backup WR... When he was one of our starters are offense was as bad as its been at any point.. The Philly Playoff game when we scored 11, he dropped a huge bomb from ELI right on the money.. That game in Dallas he had about 3drops with one of em right at or in the endzone..etc I just wanted to see what we saw very early on from em, is all. I never said a word about being cut.. U people who put words in other peoples mouths should be given a head butt.lol

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Harvin is a really interesting player.

He's a like Ronnie Harmon back for the Chargers in the 90's but faster.

Also like Eric Metcalf of the Browns but bigger and stronger.

Awesome weapon to have.

He'd be scary on a team with a more experienced QB.

Hixon's game has very few similarities to Harvin IMO. Ya, i agree.. I mean, i realize we probably will never do much creatively with the guy, but i think hes the kidna player who would be solid using on occasion in diffrent ways, and i think it'd catch the defense off guard just that much more..

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 02:46 AM
+1 don't they take the ball outta eli's hands about 30times a game with run plays?? Why is it diffrent? I just threw the wildcat in there, but not nessecarily as the focus of my original post.. I think if they wanted 2,they could get a big more creative with em..

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 02:50 AM
We dont use Hixon like Harvin because Hixon isnt as versatile as Harvin. It is that simple. no kidding.. Hence the word "alittle".. Meaning on occasion do similar things.. As good as our offense is, u can always be just that much better.. Are run game is weak alot of weeks, and if throwing in a occasional wrinkle can keep the defense that mcuh more off balance, then why not? Hixon has fantastic moves, and is great in the open field, and has pretty solid speed, and is very wirey and flexible, to the point i think he can do alittle more then he has, if we were to get a bit more creative with em..

Obviously we are looking for a guy like that, that is a dynamic , versatile player, that can do many diffrent things , hence why we drafted moss and then jerrnigan.. Why not give defenses a diffrent look on occasion?

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 03:09 AM
First, we have a first rate kick returner in Wilson. Second, Hixon right now is filling in for Nicks and they're not going to have him back returning kicks Back returning kicks? I didn't mean kicks.. I mean in the actual offense, not on Special teams.. No kidding hes not gonna be returning kicks anymore.. 2ndly, Wilson had one game where he was dynamic in kick returns, and it was like the parting of the sea with the size of the holes he had to run through, to the point the announcer brought it up on more then one occasion.. Not saying i'm not happy with him back there, but theres been games, including last week, he wasent nearly as effective and got stopped at like the 10 one time, i believe? I mean, he avg'd 13yard per return last week.. I think he had like 1return against carolina.. Kinda quick to call em a dyanmic kick returner.. HOpefully he is, but one game, makes it hard for me to really call em that..

giantsfam04
10-12-2012, 06:49 AM
IMO Wilson is one that would be better suited for that role, he has the speed, power, athletic ability. As much as I like Hixon it looks like he has lost a step, it may just be that he hasn't played for 2 seasons. Also I feel Hixon is to valuable as a receiver right now, especially with some of the injuries at that position.

Captain Chaos
10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't think he has his break away speed anymore, I think you would be better served by using Wilson.

Flip Empty
10-12-2012, 06:56 AM
don't they take the ball outta eli's hands about 30times a game with run plays??
Who hands the ball off?

BlueSanta
10-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Back returning kicks? I didn't mean kicks.. I mean in the actual offense, not on Special teams.. No kidding hes not gonna be returning kicks anymore.. 2ndly, Wilson had one game where he was dynamic in kick returns, and it was like the parting of the sea with the size of the holes he had to run through, to the point the announcer brought it up on more then one occasion.. Not saying i'm not happy with him back there, but theres been games, including last week, he wasent nearly as effective and got stopped at like the 10 one time, i believe? I mean, he avg'd 13yard per return last week.. I think he had like 1return against carolina.. Kinda quick to call em a dyanmic kick returner.. HOpefully he is, but one game, makes it hard for me to really call em that..

He was very good vs the Bucs and Eagles. He is tied for the most returns of 40+ yards in the NFL. He is among the leader in the league in many return stats despite the tough game last week. You really seem to look for the negative in this kid.

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM
He was very good vs the Bucs and Eagles. He is tied for the most returns of 40+ yards in the NFL. He is among the leader in the league in many return stats despite the tough game last week. You really seem to look for the negative in this kid. Not at all.. I'm just not gonna say the guy is a dynamic KR yet.. I think thats fair enough.. Just because i thought there was better value in the draft and didn't love the selection, dosen't mean i'm secretly hoping he fails.. I've been wrong before, and will be wrong again, and this is one situation, i hope i was dead wrong! I honestly don't care if i'm wrong about a prospect, dude..lol Again, i am not calling him a dyanmic KR yet, thats for sure...Dom Hixon, when he was Returning Kicks for us was dyanmic... Every time he got one u thought he was going to the house.. In his first 11 KR's for us, he had a 84yrder and a 74yrder with a TD...

nycsportzfan
10-12-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't think he has his break away speed anymore, I think you would be better served by using Wilson. I'm sure hes got enough speed to break away from LB's , DLINE and some secondary players... I've seen guys like Hines Ward used on end arounds, and he wasen't very fast, but strong and tough to take down.. Hixon has the moves and instincts to do damage with the ball in his hands.. Again, i mean "alittle", not make him a focal point of our offense.lol I just think if every couple games u mixed in a play or 2 with Hixon doing something like a end around or something creative, it could be benefical..

RoanokeFan
10-12-2012, 08:41 AM
don't they take the ball outta eli's hands about 30times a game with run plays?? Why is it diffrent? I just threw the wildcat in there, but not nessecarily as the focus of my original post.. I think if they wanted 2,they could get a big more creative with em.. You don't want to take the ability to audible away from Eli if the first play called isn't going to work with the Defense presented.