PDA

View Full Version : 49ers trick plays

rtahsin
10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I've been watching a few 49ers highlights recently and its apparent to me that they seem to run a lot of reverses and sweeps; their read option is coming in pretty handy for them too. Their OC always has something up his sleeve in every game. I know that they're an old school down-hill running football team but I've noticed they've gouged defenses with 12-15 yards a pop with reverses and sweeps. Is it just me or we suck at defending these type of plays?

Whenever an opposing team runs these kinds of plays we seem to give up huge yardage because these guys can't seem to shed their blocks. We aren't able to blow these up at the LOS because we can't seem to get penetration. And when we do get penetration we seem to get undisciplined on containment. Besides, Alex Smith can actually gain a few yards when he breaks from the pocket. That's gonna be a huge theme this Sunday: Containment! Containment! Containment! Thoughts?

Toadofsteel
10-11-2012, 12:01 PM
We seemed to be able to contain against Cleveland when they ran a couple trick plays (there was that double reverse that Rolle stayed home on and blew up)

I agree though, we need to be able to contain and not let stupid mental errors turn into giving up huge yards...

BklynBlue
10-11-2012, 12:05 PM
I have a feeling we will see plenty of Colin Kaepernick this Sunday!

rtahsin
10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Yea I'm not so much concerned about sacks as I'm with pressures. I think that if they can get consistent pressure without giving up contain then that's almost equivalent to a couple of sacks because you force the offense in to doing something they aren't comfortable with.