PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat about Alex Smith

tuck&rolle
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Per ProFootballFocus, Smith averages 8.7 yards per attempt when not under pressure. When under pressure, that number drops to 3.8. "That 4.9 yards difference is the second highest in the league."

Safe to say our greatest chance of winning lies behind the pressure that our d-line can generate.

RoanokeFan
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Per ProFootballFocus, Smith averages 8.7 yards per attempt when not under pressure. When under pressure, that number drops to 3.8. "That 4.9 yards difference is the second highest in the league."

Safe to say our greatest chance of winning lies behind the pressure that our d-line can generate.

If only the defense shows up. Can you provide a link?

tuck&rolle
10-11-2012, 01:47 PM

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/10/32-observations-week-5/

Not exactly sure if that's is going to be a link, but there's the URL. Scroll down to San Fran to see what I was talking about, but the whole thing is worth a read.

RoanokeFan
10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/10/32-observations-week-5/

Not exactly sure if that's is going to be a link, but there's the URL. Scroll down to San Fran to see what I was talking about, but the whole thing is worth a read.

That's fine, just keeps us honest :)

I am hoping the defense returns to it's 2011 playoff form on Sunday

BeatYale
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Might be because it's still a 1 read offense where he resorts to checking down right after. He's been in the league for a while now, you'd think they would take the diapers off him and let him be a big boy out there....but then again they did let him test the FA market which shows they believed they can win without him.

BigBlue wins
10-11-2012, 02:09 PM
The stat I like is that the 9er's are almost dead last in defending punts. I took this from the Giants vs 9'ers scouting report.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-vs-49ers-Scouting-Report/032ce5f1-e4db-4b8b-9d9c-f944fd99be60

I can see David Wilson returning one to the house this time :)

TheEnigma
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Might be because it's still a 1 read offense where he resorts to checking down right after. He's been in the league for a while now, you'd think they would take the diapers off him and let him be a big boy out there....but then again they did let him test the FA market which shows they believed they can win without him.

In before the 49ers fans chime in "but...but...he has the highest QBR!"

repeatchamps
10-11-2012, 03:53 PM
The stat I like is that the 9er's are almost dead last in defending punts. I took this from the Giants vs 9'ers scouting report.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-vs-49ers-Scouting-Report/032ce5f1-e4db-4b8b-9d9c-f944fd99be60

I can see David Wilson returning one to the house this time :)

Randle returns punts. Wilson returns kickoffs. Perhaps Randle will break one. He has had some nice returns in the punt game as well.

dnotch121
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Randle returns punts. Wilson returns kickoffs. Perhaps Randle will break one. He has had some nice returns in the punt game as well. how beautiful would it be to get a td on all three sides of the ball.

Mbeach49er
10-11-2012, 04:16 PM

Beat me to it!

rainierjef
10-11-2012, 04:20 PM
wonder if wilson can return some punts?

repeatchamps
10-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Beat me to it!

For the millionth time QBR is garbage. It puts too much weight on INT's. It doesn't weigh what occurred after the INT (i.e what it led to) or when in the game they occurred. In every other category besides rushing, Eli has outplayed Alex Smith thus far.

TheEnigma
10-11-2012, 04:29 PM
According to QBR, Eli's most impressive game was against Carolina but any Giants fan who watched that game knew that Eli never really had to do much since the Panthers D had no hope against the run from the start of the game. I'll probably get a little flak for saying this but for the most part, Eli was just a manager in that game not having to make too many tough throws.

BigBlue wins
10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Randle returns punts. Wilson returns kickoffs. Perhaps Randle will break one. He has had some nice returns in the punt game as well.

I expect Eli to be passing a lot more this game because the 9'ers run defense is pretty good. That being said, I know Randle usually handles the punt returns but he could be in for the 3rd WR slot behind Cruz and Hixon. I'm not sure if Nicks will be back this game, but who knows. If Nicks is back, then yea most definitely Randle will do punt returns. Considering Wilson does very well in kick offs, the coaching staff should consider it as an option.

repeatchamps
10-11-2012, 05:05 PM
I expect Eli to be passing a lot more this game because the 9'ers run defense is pretty good. That being said, I know Randle usually handles the punt returns but he could be in for the 3rd WR slot behind Cruz and Hixon. I'm not sure if Nicks will be back this game, but who knows. If Nicks is back, then yea most definitely Randle will do punt returns. Considering Wilson does very well in kick offs, the coaching staff should consider it as an option.

Randle was the #3 WR last week and still handled the punt return duties. Nicks practiced in a limited capacity today. Hopefully he makes the trip and is in the starting lineup.

BParcells777
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
His QBR is magnificent.......If only that mattered against the Best QB in the NFL today. I'd say Alex Smith would be somewhere around the 20th QB chosen in a draft of starting NFL QBs

Toadofsteel
10-11-2012, 05:45 PM
To be honest, this game may not even closely resemble the NFCCG at all... I think a shootout might be underway at the stick. Yeah the Giants Defense may not be what it used to be, but on the other hand Eli was making it happen with whatever weapons he had, and if Nicks is back, there is just plain no stopping Eli. If Wilson gets carries and is able to somehow break out a huge run against the formidable 49ers run D, there's another aspect that all of a sudden has question marks on it.

On the other hand, since the Giants front 4 can't seem to get pressure, Alex Smith will have a lot easier time. Also, with Crabtree actually contributing and the addition of Manningham, the 49ers have more than just VD to throw the ball to.

It seems like a bizarro year among much of the league... the Giants with no pass rush, Alex Smith looking like a top tier QB, the Pats relying on a running game, Matt Ryan in the running for league MVP, the Packers and Saints sucking... it just doesn't seem to make sense to me anymore.

BeatYale
10-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Beat me to it!

Ha.

Regardless of QBR or any success this season, it doesn't change the fact that they were willing to let him hit free agency. Smith made the right choice, even though he was disrespected by his team, he realized he has little value to the rest of the NFL because no one has seen if he can play well without a top ranked defense or running game as a blanket.

jomo
10-11-2012, 07:54 PM
That is a 67% drop-off. That is important only if our DL comes to play.

RoanokeFan
10-11-2012, 07:58 PM

I sure hope they're tired of being second class

GameTime
10-11-2012, 08:01 PM
pretty simple. if the Giants D doesnt get significant pressure.....they will lose. Smith is more than capable of doing well eoungh to win.

jomo
10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I sure hope they're tired of being second classTime to put it all together!

Toadofsteel
10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
pretty simple. if the Giants D doesnt get significant pressure.....they will lose. Smith is more than capable of doing well eoungh to win.

If our defense plays like they once did, we will win. If not, it's going to be a shootout that could end up anywhere +-20 points differential either way...

Captain Chaos
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Exactly!!

gumby74
10-12-2012, 09:19 AM

The defense has shown up 6 times in the last 2 years. I doubt it.

Eliscruzzz
10-12-2012, 09:23 AM
what is do isaing da?

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM

inb4 lets not bring that saying to this MB