PDA

View Full Version : While the 49ers are a good team, who have they beat?

DragonSoul
10-12-2012, 06:06 AM
It was a great win for them in week one vs GB. But we have seen that GB is not the same as they have been in recent years. The 49ers also beat the Bills and Jets, but only lost to the Vikes.

The Giants oline is playing a little bit better since D2 is out (and I have been a big fan of his, but the tackle spot exposes him). Recall that last year during the season we had a chance to win it on the final drive, but KG had a horrible game plan that day. All those 3-4 wr sets in the shotgun & calling HB draws, and the tip on the last play by smith I believe. Only thing that still annoys me to this day is not allowing Eli to work the no huddle/hurry up offense when the offense is struggling and can use it to get in a rhythm/tempo when it is obvious either Eli, the Wrs, or both need it. I believe that cost us the Eagles game more so than Barden, even though that was huge in itself.

If our line has improve as did our run game, and the other guys besides cruz can make plays as they generally have been the last few weeks we have a solid shot. But our defense, especially defensive ends and run stopping has to seal up the holes this week. I am still not sold on Alex Smith. He showed how bad he was when going to the SB was on the line. Eli could have put much bigger numbers up that day if it wasn't for the weather.

It should be another good game, to bad we have to go back there for a 3rd time in the last year practically.

BurnerNYG
10-12-2012, 06:24 AM
45-3 and 34-0 isn't just a beating... that's called beating the living **** out of teams. The Vikings caught em off guard and might be an underrated squad sitting at 4-1 themselves.

BlueSanta
10-12-2012, 06:39 AM
You can make the exact same statement about our Giants...only the evidence is even stronger.

Joe Morrison
10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Teams they beat have a combined record of 6 wins and 13 loses with one team having a bye already so it could likely be 6 - 14

BurnerNYG
10-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Teams we beat got a combined record of 2-12 with Tampa having a bye so it can easily be 2-13. Regardless of the records, this game is gonna be a hard hitting battle with the Niners looking towards to trying to embarrass us and get into our heads early. We better be ready to match their intensity or we might find ourselves trying to climb out of a BIG hole.

rainierjef
10-12-2012, 07:10 AM
While the giants are a good team, who have they beat?

OR

Who did they lose to?

BlueSanta
10-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Teams they beat have a combined record of 6 wins and 13 loses with one team having a bye already so it could likely be 6 - 14

as I said, what can you say about us?

Lets compare:

The teams we have beat have a combined record of 2-12 with 1 bye.

Assuming your facts are right the teams they beat have a 6-13 with 1 bye.

So they have more wins vs better opponents, advantage ------49ers.

The teams we have lost to have a combined record of 5-4 with 1 bye or a .555 winning precentage.

the teams they have lost to have a 4-1 record or a .800 winning percentage.

So again, they have beaten better teams than us and we have lost to worse teams then them. Advantage---49ers

My point is that NONE of this matters. The game is all that matters.

Captain Chaos
10-12-2012, 07:59 AM
I made this same post a couple of days ago, they have only beatten weak teams and the one team they lost to is 4-1 Vikings; who are having a good year but not incredible. I think that the 49ers are a good team but as their record shows, beatable. Given that will our defense do I think that we have enough to keep them from scoring, I like the fact that River's and Hosely are coming back from their hammies, and that Rocky's quad is getting better. I think we will score points on them, we score points on everybody. The real question is will our D be able to stop the run and make them beat us through the air, I'm not certain with KP back their I'm a little more confident.

dnotch121
10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Difference between them n us is they blow out bad teams we keep them close. Plus they beat 1 more sucky team than we did. We can beat them if we stick nyg style football and stay discipline. Go giants!!!

Dwinsballgames
10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
as I said, what can you say about us?

Lets compare:

The teams we have beat have a combined record of 2-12 with 1 bye.

Assuming your facts are right the teams they beat have a 6-13 with 1 bye.

So they have more wins vs better opponents, advantage ------49ers.

The teams we have lost to have a combined record of 5-4 with 1 bye or a .555 winning precentage.

the teams they have lost to have a 4-1 record or a .800 winning percentage.

So again, they have beaten better teams than us and we have lost to worse teams then them. Advantage---49ers

My point is that NONE of this matters. The game is all that matters.

using a 16 game season to discuss these statistics can be misleading because any given week anyone can beat anyone, but thinking they mean anything after only 5 games is downright silly.

Joe Morrison
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I have to go back to Blue Santa on this, you are saying because they lost to one team that is 4 - 1 they have lost overall to better teams with 1 loss?

MInd boggeling.

Mistanihan
10-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Here's the thing. Statistics are great and all and give us great insight to possibilities of what can happen, but they can't full on predict these games. I'm hoping for a solid game, our D to play hard for 60 full minutes and for no injuries.

OX1
10-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Difference between them n us is they blow out bad teams we keep them close. Plus they beat 1 more sucky team than we did. We can beat them if we stick nyg style football and stay discipline. Go giants!!!

But two of the sucky teams we lost to were div rivals.
We know how those games go, no matter how bad
one div rival seems vs another.

Noners div is much better than it's been, don't think
they are sweeping divisional "sucky" teams.
They might not be 2 and 0 against div rivals
if they had played them already.
Bottom line, not apples to apples.

Taking this ridiculousstat thing one step further, they lost
to a non-divisional rival, that while 4 and 1,
has played 4 teams that are 6 and 15.

So saying noners loss to "one good team"
is highly debatable. That "one good team" has not
played "anybody" worth mentioning yet.

Again, giants no better, but we are also not making
ourselves out to be the second coming.

Marvin49
10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
In order for these stats to really mean anything, you need to take the game they played against the 49ers out of the equasion. If you look every year at the worst teams and the best team opposition win % the winning teams always have a lower opp win % because THEY BEAT THE TEAMS ON THEIR SCHEDULE handing those teams a loss and pushing down that opp win %

So...taking Niner games OUT of the schedule....

Pack: 2-2
Lions: 1-2
Jets: 2-2
Bills: 2-2

That would make the records of those teams 7-8.

The Packers should actually have one more win because of the worst call in the history of the NFL, so really you are looking at 8-7.

Also, to be fair, the Niners aren't just winning. They are beating the Tar out of these teams. They are doing what you are supposed to do when you play a so-so team....CRUSHING them.

It is funny tho how things change. When the season started the talk was that the Niners would have a fall back to reality due to there very tough schedule. Many redicted 0-2 to start the season. Now peeps just say "who have they played"?

The reality is that you can only play the games on your schedule. Do I think that the two loses the Giants have or the fact that they beat 2 substandard teams has any bearing on the game on sunday? Not for a second. Just like I think the Packers are better than peeps give them credit for and so are the Lions....and so are the Giants for that matter.

All that matters is what happens on sunday.

BillTheGreek
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
In order for these stats to really mean anything, you need to take the game they played against the 49ers out of the equasion. If you look every year at the worst teams and the best team opposition win % the winning teams always have a lower opp win % because THEY BEAT THE TEAMS ON THEIR SCHEDULE hading those teams a loss and pushing down that opp win %

The Packers should actually have one more win because of the worst call in the history of the NFL, so really you are looking at 8-7.

Also, to be fair, the Niners aren't just winning. They are beating the Tar out of these teams. They are doing what you are supposed to do when you play a so-so team....CRUSHING them.

It is funny tho how things change. When the season started the talk was that the Niners would have a fall back to reality due to there very tough schedule. Many redicted 0-2 to start the season. Now peeps just say "who have they played"?

The reality is that you can only play the games on your schedule. Do I think that the two loses the Giants have or the fact that they beat 2 substandard teams has any bearing on the game on sunday? Not for a second. Just like I think the Packers are better than peeps give them credit for and so are the Lions....and so are the Giants for that matter.

Marvin forget all the stats..and all the BS........ ...I love a good game, and I am sure you do ! Why don't we talk about it on Monday ! Oh don't for get our Superman in the 4th Quarter, he does have that reputation, I am going to call him the "4th Quarter Superman "

GO Giants Super Bowl Champs..............Thanks to K. Williams !

Marvin49
10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Marvin forget all the stats..and all the BS........ ...I love a good game, and I am sure you do ! Why don't we talk about it on Monday ! Oh don't for get our Superman in the 4th Quarter, he does have that reputation, I am going to call him the "4th Quarter Superman "

GO Giants Super Bowl Champs..............Thanks to K. Williams !

Ouch. That last line smarts. ;-)

MattMeyerBud
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
It was a great win for them in week one vs GB. But we have seen that GB is not the same as they have been in recent years. The 49ers also beat the Bills and Jets, but only lost to the Vikes.

The Giants oline is playing a little bit better since D2 is out (and I have been a big fan of his, but the tackle spot exposes him). Recall that last year during the season we had a chance to win it on the final drive, but KG had a horrible game plan that day. All those 3-4 wr sets in the shotgun & calling HB draws, and the tip on the last play by smith I believe. Only thing that still annoys me to this day is not allowing Eli to work the no huddle/hurry up offense when the offense is struggling and can use it to get in a rhythm/tempo when it is obvious either Eli, the Wrs, or both need it. I believe that cost us the Eagles game more so than Barden, even though that was huge in itself.

If our line has improve as did our run game, and the other guys besides cruz can make plays as they generally have been the last few weeks we have a solid shot. But our defense, especially defensive ends and run stopping has to seal up the holes this week. I am still not sold on Alex Smith. He showed how bad he was when going to the SB was on the line. Eli could have put much bigger numbers up that day if it wasn't for the weather.

It should be another good game, to bad we have to go back there for a 3rd time in the last year practically.

a win is a win... as Giant fans we were told that plenty of times: "WHO HAVE WE BEAT" and walked away with a superbowl ring.

49ers are a VERY TOUGH and good team looking for revenge. Wouldn't make sense to take this opponent lightly

Buddy333
10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
The Giants have beaten three teams with a combined record of 2-12 while the 49ers destroyed their last two opponents. The big difference with these two teams is that the 49ers look like they picked up where they left off last year. The Giants as of today do not.

Moke
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
The Giants have beaten three teams with a combined record of 2-12 while the 49ers destroyed their last two opponents. The big difference with these two teams is that the 49ers look like they picked up where they left off last year. The Giants as of today do not.

We destroyed the Browns.

Buddy333
10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Not quite the same way the 49ers crushed the Bills though. The Giants dug themselves a hole while the 49ers humiliated the Bills.

Moke
10-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Not quite the same way the 49ers crushed the Bills though. The Giants dug themselves a hole while the 49ers humiliated the Bills.

49ers match up well against the Bills. Bills suck

Flip Empty
10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
And the Browns don't? The Bills lead the league in touchdowns before that game. They're not completely useless.

Moke
10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
And the Browns don't? The Bills lead the league in touchdowns before that game. They're not completely useless.

We slipped up the first few minutes of the game which gave them easy 14-0 points.

Those are 14 points, a lot of points on the board.

DragonSoul
10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
You can make the exact same statement about our Giants...only the evidence is even stronger.That is true. Thats why I think it can go either way, but we have proven from last year as well as this year we adapt fairly well. I just dont see them being as dominant as ppl are making them out to be.

DragonSoul
10-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Teams we beat got a combined record of 2-12 with Tampa having a bye so it can easily be 2-13. Regardless of the records, this game is gonna be a hard hitting battle with the Niners looking towards to trying to embarrass us and get into our heads early. We better be ready to match their intensity or we might find ourselves trying to climb out of a BIG hole.I agree the intesnsity will be part of it. But I have a feeling the Giants have something to prove as well. And this is the perfect time for the deline to play up to there skill set. The deline seems to play big, in big games or vs the better teams in the league. If nicks and bennett are healthy, that also adds a big dimension to our offense with Cruz, Hixon and Randal.

DragonSoul
10-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I made this same post a couple of days ago, they have only beatten weak teams and the one team they lost to is 4-1 Vikings; who are having a good year but not incredible. I think that the 49ers are a good team but as their record shows, beatable. Given that will our defense do I think that we have enough to keep them from scoring, I like the fact that River's and Hosely are coming back from their hammies, and that Rocky's quad is getting better. I think we will score points on them, we score points on everybody. The real question is will our D be able to stop the run and make them beat us through the air, I'm not certain with KP back their I'm a little more confident.I believe the defense will show up. And if Hosely & Rivers are back, then it is that much better for the defense. That is, as long as they dont take to long to get the rust off, same for Nicks.

tonyt830
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
You play the schedule you are dealt---yes statistically the Giants had the hardest schedule on paper before the season started, and thats based on the teams records/playoff teams from 2011.

You play your own division home and away(6 games), a division within your conference(4 games, rotates year to year), a division outside your conference(4 games, rotates year to year) and 2 games within your conference based on your finish from the previous year ie: the Giants play the teams that finished 1st in their respective divisions(Packers and 49ers).

But things can change from the finish of the previous season to a current teams position, like injuries, losses or gains in free agency, coaching changes.

As for winning and whether its close or a blowout---a win is a win period! The objective is for your team to have 1 more point on the scoreboard than the opposing team when the clock hits zero.

Now have the 49ers looked good the past couple of weeks, yes they have.

But this is the NFL, any given Sunday!

DragonSoul
10-12-2012, 07:58 PM
a win is a win... as Giant fans we were told that plenty of times: "WHO HAVE WE BEAT" and walked away with a superbowl ring.

49ers are a VERY TOUGH and good team looking for revenge. Wouldn't make sense to take this opponent lightlyI never take them lightly. I didnt w/the browns. I figured they would give us a scare and they did.

I do think the 9ers are a good team, I just dont see them as world beaters that many seem to think they are.

tonyt830
10-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I never take them lightly. I didnt w/the browns. I figured they would give us a scare and they did.

I do think the 9ers are a good team, I just dont see them as world beaters that many seem to think they are.plenty of ball to play before the playoffs start. A regular season loss won't hurt as much as a loss in January or February. Yes the 49ers are a very good team and yes they are out for revenge, but a win here does not crown the 49ers yet, nor will it eliminate the Giants from contention.

CALI49ER
10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
While the giants are a good team, who have they beat?

OR

Who did they lose to?

THIS^

BeatYale
10-12-2012, 09:18 PM

The Browns lost a few games by less than 7 points, they aren't as bad of a team as their record shows.

Any team has a shot at winning. There's no team in the NFL that doesn't have a shot at being competitive on game day.

DragonSoul
10-12-2012, 11:23 PM
plenty of ball to play before the playoffs start. A regular season loss won't hurt as much as a loss in January or February. Yes the 49ers are a very good team and yes they are out for revenge, but a win here does not crown the 49ers yet, nor will it eliminate the Giants from contention.Exactly right. Same as the week 1 loss to the boys. Even the Eagles game was ours. But the boys was our worst one. Seems like our fist games of the season have generally sucked. Besides the season opener after the 07 SB win.

Joe Morrison
10-12-2012, 11:35 PM
In order for these stats to really mean anything, you need to take the game they played against the 49ers out of the equasion. If you look every year at the worst teams and the best team opposition win % the winning teams always have a lower opp win % because THEY BEAT THE TEAMS ON THEIR SCHEDULE handing those teams a loss and pushing down that opp win %

They have played 5 games with the exception of the Lions.

look@dafilm
10-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Oh Dragon...I've missed you

YOUNG2RICW
10-13-2012, 05:07 PM
As many of your breathers have pointed out, we beat better quality opponents then you have. Plus you have two losses, including one beating from the Cowboys.

DragonSoul
10-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Oh Dragon...I've missed youAnd what was your original name before you got banned lol?

As many of your breathers have pointed out, we beat better quality opponents then you have. Plus you have two losses, including one beating from the Cowboys. Seems to me about the same. Slightly better/worse.

dave56dj
10-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Discounting green bay is not fair - while they are struggling they are still a very dangerous team.

ny06
10-13-2012, 05:14 PM
As many of your breathers have pointed out, we beat better quality opponents then you have. Plus you have two losses, including one beating from the Cowboys.
Let's look at the quality of opponents you played. 1st week the Packers, they have one of the worst defenses in the league. Other than the Bears game the defense of the Packers has been a joke. Plus, their o-line can't block anyone. The Packers are not the same team that was 15-1 last season.
Next opponent was the Lions, let's just say they are no better then an average team at this point.
Then the Vikings, I guess we all know how that game turned out. They beat you guys at every facet of the game. Then the next two opponents, Jets and Bills are not what I call quality opponents. Matter of fact they may be two of the worst teams in the league.
So before you comment on the Giants opponents, look no further into that you guys have not played GREAT opponents either.

DragonSoul
10-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Discounting green bay is not fair - while they are struggling they are still a very dangerous team.Fair point, but dangerous doesnt always translates to good. Look at the boys and eagles. As a famous coach once said. You are what your record says you are.

joemorrisforprez
10-13-2012, 05:49 PM
49ers still have ash in their mouths over last year.

The Giants - especially the defensive line - don't look hungry.

nakiki
10-13-2012, 06:49 PM
The Browns lost a few games by less than 7 points, they aren't as bad of a team as their record shows.

Any team has a shot at winning. There's no team in the NFL that doesn't have a shot at being competitive on game day.

then why does it even matter who the niners have played so far?

Harooni
10-13-2012, 07:01 PM
umm we beat the browns and bucs, lol

look@dafilm
10-13-2012, 08:35 PM
And what was your original name before you got banned lol?

Same, I've been year since Jan

DragonSoul
10-14-2012, 01:09 AM
49ers still have ash in their mouths over last year.

The Giants - especially the defensive line - don't look hungry.They get up for big games. Thats one truism about this team.

nhpgiantsfan
10-14-2012, 07:22 AM

"You are what your record says you are." - Bill Parcells

Giantterp
10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
That's a recipe for 8-8.

BParcells777
10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I do not care as long as they do not beat us

DragonSoul
10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Well this was fun. Glad you were able to visit... PS. As I have said, Smith is a manager. Perfectly seen when they brought in some back up qb to throw a deep pass before the half. And all he can do is play the west coast style offense of small to mid range passes. GL 49ers

Redeyejedi
10-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I said the same thing about the Falcons. Everyone is slobbering over them. They beat the whole AFC West which is the worst division in Football not 1 team is .500. They also beat Carolina and the Skins. The Skins are the best team they beat

BMW
10-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Not us that is for sure! =).

giantsfan420
10-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I said the same thing about the Falcons. Everyone is slobbering over them. They beat the whole AFC West which is the worst division in Football not 1 team is .500. They also beat Carolina and the Skins. The Skins are the best team they beat

did u? i saw maybe a few posters who called this (shameless self promotion; including myself)....i wonder if that 9ers fan is gonn face bparcells

DragonSoul
10-15-2012, 12:53 AM
I said the same thing about the Falcons. Everyone is slobbering over them. They beat the whole AFC West which is the worst division in Football not 1 team is .500. They also beat Carolina and the Skins. The Skins are the best team they beatFalcons are also a good team, but wow on the breaks they have had in recent weeks. But I look forward to beating them again when everyone says we can't or wont even after what we did to them the last time we faced them. But I do expect a better performance from them compared to the last game we played them lol.

Parademon
10-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Well, we certainly won't hold em to a safety again. But still win. They barely have beaten 2 bad teams in back to back weeks. The mighty Texans got smashed by GB tonight. We smashed the 9ers. Many were predicting 9ers/Texans SB prior to todays games. So does this make the undefeated Falcs the NFL's best team? A certain team in NY begs to differ.

I prefer other teams to be called the NF's best & for the G-men to get dissed. We play much better when everyone picks against us being able to defend our title.

DragonSoul
10-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Thats why I felt the Giants woud play well today. They seem to always play well vs good teams and generally bad towards lesser teams. They did put a hurting on the Browns after that crazy 3 minute start to the game. I think the Giants will be up for the skins game as well, since they got swept by them twice last year. And RG seems to be impressive as well, but haven't really watched him besides a few highlights here and there.