PDA

View Full Version : Is Keith Rivers our future MLB?

WinterIsComing
10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I know there was talk about Boley moving over to the middle, but I think it would make more sense for Rivers to play MLB. Of course, this will all depend on us signing Rivers next year and beyond, but I could see it happening.

Jahh
10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
How much longer is Boley under contract?

ALLnygIN
10-12-2012, 08:48 AM
If Rivers can stay healthy, I think he has the potential to be a premier linebacker. Guy is very talented, but he's spent most of his time being injured so far in his NFL career.

GameTime
10-12-2012, 08:52 AM
future??....
he isnt even the present...

GIANTSACK
10-12-2012, 08:55 AM
If anyone who outplayed their contract . It was boley. I just hope we can sign him for another 3 yrs. And if river keep live up to his first rd. Talent then we should be good at lb . I still have a hard time leaving chase there bc of his skills set. As smart as Antonio P was. He always got burnt

TheAnalyst
10-12-2012, 08:55 AM
The fact that Blackburn started over him when he was healthy doesnt bode well for him.

TuckandRolle
10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
He's not an MLB, so no. Herzlich is our future MLB.

TuckandRolle
10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
His natural position is actually filled by Boley right now, at WLB.

GMENAGAIN
10-12-2012, 09:03 AM
The fact that Blackburn started over him when he was healthy doesnt bode well for him.

lol . . . . Rivers is 10 times the player that Chase is.

Our defense would be upgraded tremendously if he replaced Chase at MLB . . . . assuming of course that he can stay on the field.

Ruttiger711
10-12-2012, 09:07 AM

When was this?

Mistanihan
10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Herzlich is our future.

GMENAGAIN
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Herzlich is our future.
Except that he still can't beat out Chase, who on his best day is mediocre . . . . .

RoanokeFan
10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
The fact that Blackburn started over him when he was healthy doesnt bode well for him. Or for Blackburn who is not the long term solution

Joe Morrison
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Rivers has to show he can play 16 games.

Drez
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
That might've had something to do with the fact that at that time Boley was injured and he was starting there instead.

TroyArcher
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
If Rivers can stay healthy, I think he has the potential to be a premier linebacker. Guy is very talented, but he's spent most of his time being injured so far in his NFL career.

That is a big if.

Toadofsteel
10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I think the idea is that we can move Boley to the inside more often, and let Rivers or Williams pick up the slack on the weak side...

Mistanihan
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Except that he still can't beat out Chase, who on his best day is mediocre . . . . .

Hence me saying future. This is only his second season.

shane4177
10-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Honestly......I like Herzlich, but I don't know if I see him as the future MLB. I think we need to draft the future MLB, whereas I feel confident with the outside LB spots with JWilliams/Boley/Kiwi/Rivers(if he stays healthy).

river555
10-12-2012, 11:51 AM
not his natural position and plus i think he only has one year (this year) left.

MattMeyerBud
10-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Our defense would be upgraded tremendously if he replaced Chase at MLB . . . . assuming of course that he can stay on the field.

yea but until he produces like Blackburn in the shots he gets, theres nothing to talk about

MattMeyerBud
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
why is this Boley to the middle thing starting up again?

Wasn't it vaguely a story in the preseason and then got shot down?

TheAnalyst
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Dont get me wrong I agree he is a better athlete. BUT, if he is better at the MLB spot, why are the coaches not playing him there? He is an OLB anyway. I hope he comes back healthy and stays healthy though cause he looked good when he was out there.

Juanito
10-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Rivers is far too injury prone to be relied upon.

GMENAGAIN
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
yea but until he produces like Blackburn in the shots he gets, theres nothing to talk about

I could produce like Blackburn . . . .

Just kidding . . . . . he could easily out-produce Blackburn if he could stay on the field . . . . with him that's a huge if though . . . .

BigJ
10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Rivers actually played better then any of our other Lbers when on the field. Also Blackburn never beat him out, Boley was hurt and Rivers only played Weakside for the Giants. There was talk about moving him to middle but the never went through with it this year. Maybe next year he can get a shot at middle.

BParcells777
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM

I know I know........you see things our coaches miss......we should put you on a consulting contract for the MLBer position

also if he cannot protect his legs on the outside......how could he survive the meatgrinder in the middle?

joemorrisforprez
10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Vernon Davis torched the Giants last year.....they could really use more speed next Sunday. I hope we see Rivers out there more, since he's ready to go now.

GMENAGAIN
10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I know I know........you see things our coaches miss......we should put you on a consulting contract for the MLBer position

also if he cannot protect his legs on the outside......how could he survive the meatgrinder in the middle?
So you think that Chase is a better player than Rivers?

brad
10-12-2012, 05:21 PM
For reference, this is the responsibilities of the MIKE and WILL

MIKE (http://football.about.com/od/positionprofiles/a/How_to_Play_Mike_Linebacker.htm)

WILL (http://football.about.com/od/positionprofiles/a/How_to_Play_Will_Linebacker.htm)

The middle linebacker, or "mike" linebacker, is a central anchor point in any good defense. He's the key run stopper, and should find himself involved in almost every tackle on running plays. He epitomizes the football player persona, because he's big, strong, and hard-nosed. He is a key vocal leader in most defensive schemes, calling out formations and strengths, and communicating adjustments. He also is a key communicator for all the linebackers and defensive linemen, as he calls out formation strength and signals.

The will linebacker is most likely the most athletic of the three on the field. He has to be able to cover a lot of ground if the play goes away from him, and he is often called on to cover a slot receiver, whereas Sam usually covers a tight end. Will linebackers are not afraid to be physical and tackle. They're smart and able to read plays quickly to determine where to go. They're also good at pass coverage, and can handle the occasional one-on-one pass coverage scenario.

The quote above says it all and explains why, in my opinion, you would put Rivers at the WILL position, not the MIKE... because from what I understand he has more speed and is more capable of covering a slot receiver. Now, to be honest, I haven't seen a whole lot of Rivers, so I could be wrong on this assessment, but wanted those suggesting he move to MIKE to at least understand what they are suggesting. Not all LBs are able to just move from one position to another like that, the skill-sets and mental aspects of the positions are very different.

BParcells777
10-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Hes a better MLBer than Rivers

When Canty returns he will not be getting collapsed by his own Dline......Blackburn is a solid player, and unquestionably the leader of our D

Tmurda1984
10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
What is up with the lack of respect toward Chase Blackburn. During game day, Blackburn is where he's suppose to be and does make big plays out there. Rivers HAS NEVER stayed healthy...my girlfriend is a Bengal fan and she laughed when I said Rivers got hurt, She reminded me that he stayed injured as a Bengal. Rivers should never start over Blackburn, maybe Kiwi, but not Blackburn.

Imgrate
10-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Two biggest idiots on the forum want chase to start. Have to go with rivers on this one folks.

BParcells777
10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Two biggest idiots on the forum want chase to start. Have to go with rivers on this one folks.

Chase brought you a Lombardi last year.......what an IMGRATE!!!!!!

brad
10-12-2012, 05:44 PM

No need to get personal... go back to page 3 of this thread and read my last post (last one on page). The question is this, what have you seen in Rivers that makes you believe he could play the MIKE position? Has he ever called plays for any defense at any level? Has he shown himself to be a tough player that can get in there and stuff the run?

Imgrate
10-12-2012, 06:27 PM
No need to get personal... go back to page 3 of this thread and read my last post (last one on page). The question is this, what have you seen in Rivers that makes you believe he could play the MIKE position? Has he ever called plays for any defense at any level? Has he shown himself to be a tough player that can get in there and stuff the run? I wasn't referring to you when I made that comment. I was speaking about bparcells777 (aka jakkstroud) and tmurda (the man who truly believes he and anybody else could be the GM of the giants and do a good job).Now to rivers vs. Blackburn.Rivers is a sideline to sideline player that is a true playmaker on the field. mlbs these days do not need to be big slow lumbering players, they need to be able to play in space and make sure tackles. This is especially true in a 4-3. Chase had been terrible at all aspects this year and is only on the field because of injury. Rivers may have never called plays before, and if he has then great, but it doesn't matter because boley has done this many times before and is also a 3 down player. It's about getting your best players on the field. Rivers is hands down better than chase.

jomo
10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I wasn't referring to you when I made that comment. I was speaking about bparcells777 (aka jakkstroud) and tmurda (the man who truly believes he and anybody else could be the GM of the giants and do a good job).Now to rivers vs. Blackburn.Rivers is a sideline to sideline player that is a true playmaker on the field. mlbs these days do not need to be big slow lumbering players, they need to be able to play in space and make sure tackles. This is especially true in a 4-3. Chase had been terrible at all aspects this year and is only on the field because of injury. Rivers may have never called plays before, and if he has then great, but it doesn't matter because boley has done this many times before and is also a 3 down player. It's about getting your best players on the field. Rivers is hands down better than chase.Calling plays is much less imprtant than making plays don't you think?

brad
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I wasn't referring to you when I made that comment. I was speaking about bparcells777 (aka jakkstroud) and tmurda (the man who truly believes he and anybody else could be the GM of the giants and do a good job).Now to rivers vs. Blackburn.Rivers is a sideline to sideline player that is a true playmaker on the field. mlbs these days do not need to be big slow lumbering players, they need to be able to play in space and make sure tackles. This is especially true in a 4-3. Chase had been terrible at all aspects this year and is only on the field because of injury. Rivers may have never called plays before, and if he has then great, but it doesn't matter because boley has done this many times before and is also a 3 down player. It's about getting your best players on the field. Rivers is hands down better than chase.

Hate to be on the side of jakkstroud, and I am certainly not arguing that Blackburn has more talent or speed than Rivers. What I have seen, which is very little, of Rivers is impressive. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to stay on the field consistently. From a physical standpoint, I agree he would make a good MLB, but from a mental standpoint, I have seen nothing that indicates that he can run a defense.... and we certainly haven't seen anything to indicate that he can remain healthy for any length of time. Like you, I am excited to see him on the field and really hope he can contribute this year. However, I think his best position would be the WILL. I would lean toward moving Boley to the MIKE, since we know he is capable of being "the QB of the defense"

penguinfarmer
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
No need to get personal... go back to page 3 of this thread and read my last post (last one on page). The question is this, what have you seen in Rivers that makes you believe he could play the MIKE position? Has he ever called plays for any defense at any level? Has he shown himself to be a tough player that can get in there and stuff the run?

That's a narrow view of looking at the LB positions though. Teams use theirs differently [including the Giants] than the old archetype especially with the evolution of the modern day TE. Rivers can play the 9SAM similar to what the Eagles do with Kendricks if Fewell wanted. I'd say Rivers has definitely looked good against the run and is far more adept to dropping back into cover 3 than Blackburn. Giants essentially used Deon Grant as an undersized LB. Physically, he's easily more suited to play the position than Blackburn in this defense. He may just need more time to adjust to the role. He can't do it midseason. It's certainly not a knock on Chase to say someone is more talented than he is to play the position.

brad
10-12-2012, 09:14 PM
That's a narrow view of looking at the LB positions though. Teams use theirs differently [including the Giants] than the old archetype especially with the evolution of the modern day TE. Rivers can play the 9SAM similar to what the Eagles do with Kendricks if Fewell wanted. I'd say Rivers has definitely looked good against the run and is far more adept to dropping back into cover 3 than Blackburn. Giants essentially used Deon Grant as an undersized LB. Physically, he's easily more suited to play the position than Blackburn in this defense. He may just need more time to adjust to the role. He can't do it midseason. It's certainly not a knock on Chase to say someone is more talented than he is to play the position.

Not arguing the talent part of it at all... I am arguing the mental aspect of it. The question is, can Rivers call the plays on defense? Well... that and can Rivers stay healthy. All the talent in the world will do us no good if he isn't on the field.

Either way, I am sure they will find a place for him, and I hope he is able to contribute for a long time.

Tmurda1984
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I wasn't referring to you when I made that comment. I was speaking about bparcells777 (aka jakkstroud) and tmurda (the man who truly believes he and anybody else could be the GM of the giants and do a good job).Now to rivers vs. Blackburn.Rivers is a sideline to sideline player that is a true playmaker on the field. mlbs these days do not need to be big slow lumbering players, they need to be able to play in space and make sure tackles. This is especially true in a 4-3. Chase had been terrible at all aspects this year and is only on the field because of injury. Rivers may have never called plays before, and if he has then great, but it doesn't matter because boley has done this many times before and is also a 3 down player. It's about getting your best players on the field. Rivers is hands down better than chase.

Yea Im a real idiot...I was calling for Reese to bring back Chase Blackburn instead of starting Herzlich and Greg Jones last year...and Blackburn helped us win that Superbowl. What sideline to sideline ability do you see with Keith Rivers? All I have seen from him is his ability to sit on the sidelines...are you still caught up on his USC days or are you an avid Madden video gaming nerd? Chase did not look to lumbering chasing a receiver without any safety support from Rolle. Blackburn didnt look to lumbering covering Gronkowski down the field in last year's Superbowl. Where was Keith Rivers last year? Eating out of a straw because a Wide Receiver wired his jaw shut after a block lol....you are a clown my man. You are the same clown who thought Greg Jones and Herzlich was better than Blackburn....Blackburn got off his LazyBoy recliner and played waaaay better than Jones, Herzlich, and even Rivers this season. How dare you put down a hard working player like Blackburn....you need guys like that on your defense because he gives 100% unlike guys like Osi and Tuck who sulks on the sidelines when things go bad, and Blackburn plays through injuries unlike half this team....Go find a bridge and plunge off the edge of it.

Tmurda1984
10-12-2012, 09:46 PM
and P.S. Imgrate...as a lifelong Giants fan I can post on this message board and share my opinions just like you. Don't disrespect me like that...I have never made personal attacks to you....if you don't like my posts than just ignore it, I really dont have any problems with that.

BParcells777
10-12-2012, 10:16 PM
and P.S. Imgrate...as a lifelong Giants fan I can post on this message board and share my opinions just like you. Don't disrespect me like that...I have never made personal attacks to you....if you don't like my posts than just ignore it, I really dont have any problems with that.

dont feel bad.......if Imgrate disagees with anyone he goes right to the gutter.....it not you, its him

I totally agree with you.....the Blackburn is slow myth is incredible......Pierce was so slow he could not stop a TE with a 20 foot butterfly net

Joe Morrison
10-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Calling plays is much less imprtant than making plays don't you think?
Blackburn is the QB and that is a very important role and he is making just enough plays especially when they need them. He is a rare combination of football smarts and instinct, not the most athletic but gets the most out of what he has.

Watching him chase that Browns reciever all the way down the field when Rolle blew the deep was entertaining.

moosedrool
10-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Why do you think Cincy let him go for next to nothing? The guy can't stay healthy.

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I just saw the replay on NFLN of Hines Ward laying down the wood on Rivers. Ouch.

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Why do you think Cincy let him go for next to nothing? The guy can't stay healthy.

He was there for 2 years and had a freak jaw fracture injury. Its ironic that his hammy is bothering him, but with this Giants team, who doesnt have a hammy? seriously. He will be fine. You will eat crow on him.

Overdrive92
10-13-2012, 02:31 AM
How much longer is Boley under contract?

Boley is under contract for 2 more years. He will be a free agent in 2014. But he has played very well for us, so it's not like I'm sitting around waiting to dump him. I like Boley a lot.

Imgrate
10-13-2012, 03:46 AM
and P.S. Imgrate...as a lifelong Giants fan I can post on this message board and share my opinions just like you. Don't disrespect me like that...I have never made personal attacks to you....if you don't like my posts than just ignore it, I really dont have any problems with that. understood. I went too far.

miked1958
10-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Or for Blackburn who is not the long term solutiontrue, true. However the guy just keeps making plays. Big ones. But overall do they compensate for him getting burned so much

Imgrate
10-13-2012, 03:56 AM
dont feel bad.......if Imgrate disagees with anyone he goes right to the gutter.....it not you, its himI totally agree with you.....the Blackburn is slow myth is incredible......Pierce was so slow he could not stop a TE with a 20 foot butterfly net jakk, this is the first time in a long time and the last time I will talk to you directly. You do not belong on these forums, the evidEnce is the multiple bans you know it, I know it. We're both giants fans so I totally respect you, in the future please engage people by what they actually say. You just ramble on about random things and that's why noone has ever taken you seriously. Communicate reasonably and you will find that conversations will be more meaningful. We disagree on so many things. If you stay in point, we may learn something. Let it be known. This is my last time I will acknowledge you if you do not adapt

Captain Chaos
10-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I think he has too much talent to sit on the bench, they will get him involved!

Redeyejedi
10-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Our defense would be upgraded tremendously if he replaced Chase at MLB . . . . assuming of course that he can stay on the field.I agree with this premise