PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning's toughness impresses 49ers

RoanokeFan
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/14/4909969/eli-mannings-toughness-impresses.html#mi_rss=49ers

Excerpt: "The beating the 49ers gave Eli Manning (http://topics.sacbee.com/Eli+Manning/) last Jan. 22 was written all over the quarterback's once-white jersey.

The 49ers hit him 18 times, including six sacks, the most Manning had absorbed in any game last season. By the end of the NFC Championship Game, (http://topics.sacbee.com/NFC+Championship+Game/) grime speckled his face, his left shoulder was a dingy gray, and his left wristband and arm were caked in Candlestick Park mud.

The problem for the 49ers is Manning kept getting up.

"A lot of people don't give him the respect he deserves," said Manning's chief tormentor that day, defensive end Justin Smith. (http://topics.sacbee.com/Justin+Smith/) "I think he's definitely one of the top three, four quarterbacks in the league. … We're going to have to have the same philosophy going into this one that we had in that last one – hold him down."

The Manning vs. Smith & Co. battle is such a central theme in today's game that the two sides began fighting it days ago." Read more...

Flip Empty
10-14-2012, 10:44 AM
It'll be interesting to see if the Niners stick to their usual gameplan in this one. Perhaps they'll mix up their coverages and try to confuse him.

EnragedYouth85
10-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Key word, try to confuse him.. not going to happen though! :p

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
It'll be interesting to see if the Niners stick to their usual gameplan in this one. Perhaps they'll mix up their coverages and try to confuse him.

They mix up their coverages every game..

RoanokeFan
10-14-2012, 10:54 AM

From the perspective of the 49ers, what they do works pretty well. I think they will come out playing their game until we make them change during the game.

joemorrisforprez
10-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Eli will once again be the key (no surprise there). If Nicks is healthy, the option route for Cruz should be open.

Captain Chaos
10-14-2012, 11:46 AM
From the perspective of the 49ers, what they do works pretty well. I think they will come out playing their game until we make them change during the game.

Got to agree Roanoke, these guys are going to stack the box and get after Eli, I just hope that Gilbride has a little something that will throw them off their game plan.

BeatYale
10-14-2012, 11:50 AM
"A lot of people don't give him the respect he deserves," said Manning's chief tormentor that day, defensive end Justin Smith. (http://topics.sacbee.com/Justin+Smith/) "I think he's definitely one of the top three, four quarterbacks in the league. We're going to have to have the same philosophy going into this one that we had in that last one hold him down."

Smith said hold. Interesting.

Toadofsteel
10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
That NFCCG sealed away any doubt I had about Eli being the greatest QB to ever play pro football aside from Joe Montana. Anyone that can start in the NFL can make the great throws given enough time in the pocket. But very few QBs could stay completely calm in the pocket in the face of such pressure. A lot of QBs take off running. Some just crumble under the pressure. The Great Tom Brady looks pretty average when facing the heat. Not Eli. If he's on his game, he can't be knocked off it. Pure and simple.

B&RWarrior
10-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Eli's best friend is our running game. I pray we can establish it. If he has to drop back 60+ times again it's going to be a long day for Eli.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Eli was very impressive taking big hits last time we played them.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/harooni/eli-hit-hard-a.gif

Cool Papa B.
10-14-2012, 12:53 PM
That NFCCG sealed away any doubt I had about Eli being the greatest QB to ever play pro football aside from Joe Montana. Anyone that can start in the NFL can make the great throws given enough time in the pocket. But very few QBs could stay completely calm in the pocket in the face of such pressure. A lot of QBs take off running. Some just crumble under the pressure. The Great Tom Brady looks pretty average when facing the heat. Not Eli. If he's on his game, he can't be knocked off it. Pure and simple.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

John Unitas and John Elway thinks you're way out of line.

Toadofsteel
10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

John Unitas and John Elway thinks you're way out of line.

Johnny Unitas? You mean that guy that threw fewer 4th quarter TD passes than Eli that one time?

Harooni
10-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Johnny Unitas? You mean that guy that threw fewer 4th quarter TD passes than Eli that one time? really you don't think it was harder to throw years ago when you could take a QB's head off ??? todays nfl is geared toward passing. if Simms had this protection from the league he would be a HOFer

Toadofsteel
10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
really you don't think it was harder to throw years ago when you could take a QB's head off ??? todays nfl is geared toward passing. if Simms had this protection from the league he would be a HOFer

I still wonder where all this "protection" for the passer the league is apparently giving out actually is. Eli actually takes the hits and gets back up and shakes them off. That's what puts him above the QBs playing today, and in that tier of legendary QBs.

Cool Papa B.
10-14-2012, 02:37 PM
really you don't think it was harder to throw years ago when you could take a QB's head off ??? todays nfl is geared toward passing. if Simms had this protection from the league he would be a HOFer

My point is right now Eli is not the 2nd greatest QB to ever play the game. And I love Eli, but that conversation is about 6-7 years premature.

Cool Papa B.
10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Johnny Unitas? You mean that guy that threw fewer 4th quarter TD passes than Eli that one time?

Uhm.....yeah.

That same 3-time Mvp Unitas.

EliDaMANning
10-14-2012, 03:45 PM
It is a bit premature to say Eli is top 2 all time and I'm a guy who believes he can become the GOAT.But there is no doubt in my mind not a single QB today could've done what Eli did last year in SF. We saw Rodgers against us the week before vs a pass rush. He folded. Peyton folded constantly vs the patriots. Brady did it vs us and Baltimore a couple years ago. These great QB become average vs pressure except for Eli.

Toadofsteel
10-14-2012, 04:47 PM
It is a bit premature to say Eli is top 2 all time and I'm a guy who believes he can become the GOAT.But there is no doubt in my mind not a single QB today could've done what Eli did last year in SF. We saw Rodgers against us the week before vs a pass rush. He folded. Peyton folded constantly vs the patriots. Brady did it vs us and Baltimore a couple years ago. These great QB become average vs pressure except for Eli.

Can I say top of the currently playing QB's?

EliDaMANning
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Can I say top of the currently playing QB's?Without question.