PDA

View Full Version : Gilbride is still horrible inside redzone.

SuperNYGiants
10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
After two INTs by Rolle, the pass-happy Gilbride ruined any chances of scoring TDs and only settled for 2 FGs, that is not acceptable.

On the possession after 1st INT, he called, PASS, PASS, PASS.

On the possession after 2nd INT, he called, RUN, PASS, PASS (this was on 5 yard line!!!)

Seriously, what is wrong with this man? Bradshaw was running like a man possessed, and Gilbride still can't get rid of his bad habit of going to a pass play on the part of the field where passing is extremely difficult.

I've heard Eli saying "We can't settle for FGs" in post-game press conference once too many, I'm really getting sick of it.

I credit the win to the DEFENSE, the offense really didn't have to do much today.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
You do realize Eli is the one who decides run or pass, right?

Cloud57
10-14-2012, 08:51 PM
He's called "killdrive" for a reason

Captain Chaos
10-14-2012, 08:53 PM
There were a couple of plays that I was scratching my head over....

tonyt830
10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I would have liked to see 1 or both of those INTs that we got in the redzone turn into 7 instead of 3 points as well. But hey a win is a win. I credit the 49ers defense some for holding our Giants to FGs in both of those situations.

Tmurda1984
10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Lets not blame Gilbride for our redzone woes. Blame Reese for not having quality goaline passing options after Nicks and Bennett was hobbled. Barden? Rueben Randle? Pascoe? lol do you see the talent level. If you think we are just going to run up the gut against that 49er defense crowding the box, you are delusional.

krygny
10-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, Eli seems to like him just fine. I think that matters a bit more than any of the edyumucated opinions that might be posted here. If Eli didn't think he was a great OC, he'd have been gone a long time ago.

Let's see, two Super Bowl victories, one of the best offenses in the league for the past two season, DESPITE A RIDICULOUS NUMBER OF KEY INJURIES AT BOTH SKILL POSITIONS AND THE INTERIOR LINE and people are still posting "Kildrive" threads.

Incredible.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Lets not blame Gilbride for our redzone woes. Blame Reese for not having quality goaline passing options after Nicks and Bennett was hobbled. Barden? Rueben Randle? Pascoe? lol do you see the talent level. If you think we are just going to run up the gut against that 49er defense crowding the box, you are delusional.

Now you are hating on Reese for a lack of quality WRs? You really are delusional.

SweetZombieJesus
10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
To be fair the 49ers were stout against the run and it's a feather in our cap that we scored a rushing TD against them.

However, I would have liked to see Brown thrown into the mix and for God's sake can we get a halfback screen? I know Gilbride considers that a trick play but come on. Let alone a multi-back set or something.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
10-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Would I have preferred TD's sure...but given the team we were playing & with the lead we were playing with, u dont force the issue. U take what u get...just dont beat yourself trying to be the hero (like the philly game)

FBomb
lol.....truly idiotic thread.

RoanokeFan
After two INTs by Rolle, the pass-happy Gilbride ruined any chances of scoring TDs and only settled for 2 FGs, that is not acceptable.

On the possession after 2nd INT, he called, RUN, PASS, PASS (this was on 5 yard line!!!)

Seriously, what is wrong with this man? Bradshaw was running like a man possessed, and Gilbride still can't get rid of his bad habit of going to a pass play on the part of the field where passing is extremely difficult.

I've heard Eli saying "We can't settle for FGs" in post-game press conference once too many, I'm really getting sick of it.

I credit the win to the DEFENSE, the offense really didn't have to do much today.

What jersey was Gilbride wearing?

bigblue2088
yeahh idk if it was the play calling that went wrong, or just the execution

ozzie0075
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
To be fair the 49ers were stout against the run and it's a feather in our cap that we scored a rushing TD against them.

However, I would have liked to see Brown thrown into the mix and for God's sake can we get a halfback screen? I know Gilbride considers that a trick play but come on. Let alone a multi-back set or something.

Brown didn't make the trip to SF.

WEG313
10-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Frustrating, for sure, but...Nicks was still clearly hampered, taking away Eli's favorite and most dependable fade route target, and Bennett was all but a no-show in the passing game (obviously also impacted by his injury). Given the 49ers are arguably the best all-around defense in the NFL (and they are, IMO), it gets VERY difficult when you have such a short field to work with as everything gets far too congested. The one TD pass was an absolutely perfectly placed ball by Eli, as Cruz was pretty well covered.

krygny
10-14-2012, 09:13 PM
However, I would have liked to see Brown thrown into the mix ...
Brown was out with concussion.

Tmurda1984
10-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Now you are hating on Reese for a lack of quality WRs? You really are delusional.

The depth at receiver is not good by any means....Eli Manning can make a high school Receiver look decent in the NFL. Most of those throws to any1 other than Nicks and Cruz are against tight coverage where Eli's accuracy was pinpoint. Ask talented guys like Vernon Davis, I bet he was wishing he had a Eli Manning as his QB. I bet Manningham was wishing he had Eli when he got past Webster. Eli's accuracy is off the charts....in the endzone where there's not much space, Hixon Randle and Barden just cant do it.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
The depth at receiver is not good by any means...

Really? The giants #5 WR is a 2nd round pick.

Try looking at other teams around the league if you think the giants dont have great depth at WR.

drewz
10-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Giants Depth at WR isn't any good? I've heard it all now

jaygoon
The draw play on third down after 2 runs? Really brah? Eli is the man, let him throw. Gilbride was horrible today.

slipknottin
The draw play on third down after 2 runs? Really brah? Eli is the man, let him throw. Gilbride was horrible today.

Again, Eli is the one who decides run or pass. Its his call based on the defensive alignment.

ELIte4MVP
10-14-2012, 09:23 PM
The depth at receiver is not good by any means....Eli Manning can make a high school Receiver look decent in the NFL. Most of those throws to any1 other than Nicks and Cruz are against tight coverage where Eli's accuracy was pinpoint. Ask talented guys like Vernon Davis, I bet he was wishing he had a Eli Manning as his QB. I bet Manningham was wishing he had Eli when he got past Webster. Eli's accuracy is off the charts....in the endzone where there's not much space, Hixon Randle and Barden just cant do it.

****. we should have drafted vernon davis. it all makes sense now!

Diamondring
10-14-2012, 09:25 PM
****. we should have drafted vernon davis. it all makes sense now!I'm not going to lie, I wanted the Giants to get him in the year he was in the NFL Draft.

penguinfarmer
10-14-2012, 09:26 PM

What is he called when he creates yet another prolific offense since his days as an Oiler?

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Id rather have Bennett than Davis. At least Bennett can block.

drewz
10-14-2012, 09:27 PM

That series where it was pass pass pass was horrible, this is after the 49ers starting bring a safety into the box. A play action would've been perfect on that drive, but it's all good.. we won, no damage

Diamondring
10-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Id rather have Bennett than Davis. At least Bennett can block.But our TE coach is real good and would have taught Davis how to block if Giants somehow got Davis.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:28 PM
But our TE coach is real good and would have taught Davis how to block if Giants somehow got Davis.

Davis would never be capable of blocking like Bennett just because of his lack of size.

GameTime
10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
oh stop......

you guys micro manage worse than Girardi.......

At least wait till wednesday to piss and moan.......

Tmurda1984
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Really? The giants #5 WR is a 2nd round pick.

Try looking at other teams around the league if you think the giants dont have great depth at WR.

This was a receiver that slipped in the draft due to his poor work ethic that turned off scouts. The 49ers had get depth too, its too bad that have a QB like Alex Smith he can't hit any of his receivers in stride.

Diamondring
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Davis would never be capable of blocking like Bennett just because of his lack of size.I know guys who are small can pick a dood like me up and I am a former 300 pound powerlifter and still have strength so size doesn't matter that much.

Tmurda1984
10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Vernon Davis is a very good blocker at the tight end position and is waaay too athletic at the tight end position. Davis would be a beast in the league if his QB was a bad as Alex Smith.

ELIte4MVP
10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm not going to lie, I wanted the Giants to get him in the year he was in the NFL Draft.

oh i completely agree, dude was/is a beast. i was being sarcastic in the fact that hindsight is 20/20 and that every nfl team would love v. davis in the red zone. easier said than done

Diamondring
10-14-2012, 09:37 PM
oh i completely agree, dude was/is a beast. i was being sarcastic in the fact that hindsight is 20/20 and that every nfl team would love v. davis in the red zone. easier said than doneYou're right you're right.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:38 PM
This was a receiver that slipped in the draft due to his poor work ethic that turned off scouts. The 49ers had get depth too, its too bad that have a QB like Alex Smith he can't hit any of his receivers in stride.

The 49ers dont have a single WR that would start for the giants. And what is their "great depth"? Kyle Williams? Ted Ginn? None of those guys would make the giants roster.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I know guys who are small can pick a dood like me up and I am a former 300 pound powerlifter and still have strength so size doesn't matter that much.

It matters a lot. Bennett has at least 20 pounds on him, and long arms are a massive advantage in blocking.

Marvelousmik

dont waste your time

PierrePaul
150 yards rushing and 190 Passing. 2 touchdowns, one rushing, one passing. Against a team that doesn't give up points or 100 yard rushing games. They gave up 3points in the past two games total. I'd say Gilbride did a nice job with the game plan, and calling plays during the game to eat up clock. If you want to get on Gilbride, go back in time to before he won two superbowls. Or at least wait until the Giants lose a game because of a bad offensive effort. You'll have much more success.

TextureDj
10-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Again, Eli is the one who decides run or pass. Its his call based on the defensive alignment.

Give it up Slip. They block that out every time they hear it. Your posting to no one, those of us that can see that already understand it and the others, even if you get them to accept it for the purpose of this discussion will go right back to shouting KILLDRIVE! when they think they would have known better.

If any of you were in Eli's shoes, with your suspect line all that stands between you and those monstrosities in red it would be all you could do to shout Omaha! much less read a defense without error.

Diamondring
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
It matters a lot. Bennett has at least 20 pounds on him, and long arms are a massive advantage in blocking.Pounds means little cause some of those pounds can be fat.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Pounds means little cause some of those pounds can be fat.

Weight is weight when it comes to holding ground.

Diamondring
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Weight is weight when it comes to holding ground.Look, it goes by strength and how a person use it. I overpowered people bigger than me and I had some smaller guys overpower me when wrestling. I also go to the gym and see some guys 200 pounds 5 ft 9 bench pressing 400 pounds. I've seen some guys smaller overpower bigger guys. It is about talent as well and a whole bunch of other things.

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Look, it goes by strength and how a person use it. I overpowered people bigger than me and I had some smaller guys overpower me when wrestling. I also go to the gym and see some guys 200 pounds 5 ft 9 bench pressing 400 pounds. I've seen some guys smaller overpower bigger guys. It is about talent as well and a whole bunch of other things.

And Bennett has always been a far better blocker than Davis.

DandyDon
10-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Orig Poster: Shut up. Just shut up.

For at least one day can we enjoy DOMINANT win over a bigtime opponent without you complaining?

Wow...

Drez
10-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Besides that, if it's the play I'm thinking of, if Boothe can hold his block for another .5 to 1 second Bradshaw probably pops off a 12-15 yard gain on the play. People always get poor execution twisted with poor play calling.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 10:54 PM
we can keep blaming gilbride but he isnt throwing and running out there. players need to execute better also.

CDN_G-FAN
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
These Gilbride threads used to be a sad joke, now they're just sad.

GFiP
10-15-2012, 03:29 AM
Sooner or later the awful red zone play will bite us. How has Barden not developed into a redzone threat yet? The offense was lucky that the defense was a brick wall yesterday.

Giantz4Life
10-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Don't blame the OP and anyone still referring to KG as Killdrive....it's a classic sign of a low football IQ: blame the offensive coordinator for EVERYTHING related to the offense...even player execution.

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 04:19 AM
did he line up at TE ??? never saw him in uniform

also i saw 26-3 when this board was pretty much on board in saying just dont lose by more than 20

wow, people are lost ... maybe angry Yankee fans

DragonSoul
10-15-2012, 04:29 AM

I credit the win to the DEFENSE, the offense really didn't have to do much today.Last yr I think KG cost us the game in SF. Today I felt he called a good game. Only issue was, he was too conservative inside the redone. Which could have hurt us, if the defense didnt close it out, or they had a better QB. But I personally feel Eli should do as he sees fit. Have KG as a coach, but use him as a sounding board, not so much as the OC with the play calling. But I give him credit today, he was overall good.

GiantRoc
10-15-2012, 04:30 AM
I was very excited how the Giants moved the ball the last 3 quarters. That being said I am still concerned about the offense not converting redzone trips to TD's. I know the coaches can't run the plays. Thats just a silly statement born out of the frustration of people complaining. Still, it has been a number of years in a row where we have had these scoring troubles. You can call it execution. You can call it bad play calling. No matter what it is, it still means not enought TD's. It still comes down to coaching guys. Execution is taught by the coaches. So something is wrong. I don't for a second think we have sub-par receivers. It's the best the Giants have ever had, and I wouldn't trade our corp with any other in the league. We have to figure out how to get in the endzone more consistanly. If we don't it will cost us as we continue to play such a tough schedule.

GMENAGAIN
10-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Sigh . . . .

brad
10-15-2012, 07:06 AM
The offense struggled at time yesterday, but let's not forget they were playing one of the best defenses in the game... they deserve some credit for that. I don't know if KG called run or pass, or if Eli changed plays at the line, so it is difficult to fault one or the other. However, if they are going to pass inside the 10, I would prefer to see Bennet and Barden as the targets. They are both big and can go up for the ball. Another play I wouldn't mind seeing is a quick pass to the back coming out of the backfield.

Either way, the Giants had a great game against a tough team, a team that has been dominant on offense and defense this year. We as fans should try to enjoy that for one day at least.

bigblue58
10-15-2012, 07:07 AM
It's the NFL boys.........it's hard to get into the endzone when you're on the goal line! I'd rather try running it 3 times and settling for 3 than the alternative of throwing a pick and coming away with nothing!
We always scream on here for Gilbride to STOP throwing in the Red zone and stay safe on the ground, so lets not be spoiled hypocrites and just complain about whatever was called and didn't work at the time!
The red zone is where old timey football is still played. Our Front 4 against theirs ..........muscle against muscle....sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. We came away with points.......good enough for me!!!!!

nygfan90
10-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Can there be a time limit on when to nit pick about stuff after a win? Maybe like a full 24 hours after would be cool lol

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Do you watch the same games as the rest of us? You don't even mentioin Cruz and Hixon?

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Can there be a time limit on when to nit pick about stuff after a win? Maybe like a full 24 hours after would be cool lol

Not when it starts when there is 14:56 on the game clock in the first quarter

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 07:14 AM
we can keep blaming gilbride but he isnt throwing and running out there. players need to execute better also.

+1

Kruunch
10-15-2012, 08:01 AM

I bet you're still really upset with Santa too.

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Every play the giants get multiple play calls in the huddle. Eli picks which play to go with at the line.

Redeyejedi
10-15-2012, 08:36 AM
I cant believe someone is criticizing the Giants "lack" of receiver depth. Out of all the crazy comments I've seen that 1 may be the craziest. Top to bottom Id rather have this group over any group in the NFL

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
I cant believe someone is criticizing the Giants "lack" of receiver depth. Out of all the crazy comments I've seen that 1 may be the craziest. Top to bottom Id rather have this group over any group in the NFL

+1

TuckandRolle
10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
26-3. Gilbride and Eli are fantastic together.

NYGabriel
10-15-2012, 09:06 AM

That guy is clearly not well.

GameTime
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM

oh stop already.......

GMENAGAIN
10-15-2012, 09:11 AM
You have to have some sort of serious mental illness to post a negative thread like this so soon after such a great win. Seek help.

BParcells777
10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Its valid though

I'd like to see some screens and Tight End in the Red Zone

Kruunch
10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Its valid though

I'd like to see some screens and Tight End in the Red Zone

The 26-3 score disagrees with you.

Especially considering it was against one of the best defenses in the league.

nycisgreat
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM

I used to be a big time Gilbride hater, but I think you are way off base. I do question his play calling sometimes. Our defense was at its best yesterday. Your play option because very limited when you are in the red zone. When our defense was giving up chunks of yardage, they usually held up in the redzone and gave up field goals very similar to what we did yesterday. Yes, we can move the ball at will in most games, but when we are in the red zone, scoring becomes more difficult because defenders have less ground to cover.

YATittle1962
10-15-2012, 02:27 PM

no matter how many times we say this......it does not sink in slip

YATittle1962
10-15-2012, 02:29 PM

he is called "killdrive" by those who do not understand what is going on and blindly throw blame around

sharick88
10-15-2012, 02:50 PM

This. Anyways, only on the New York Giants Message Board to you find someone that actually has the audacity to whine about something in a dominating win like the one we witnessed yesterday afternoon

GiantRoc
10-16-2012, 05:01 AM
That's right. Everyone who is worried about the lack of TD conversions, just doesn't understand football. Just a bunch of dumbies. Just a bunch of whiners. Thank you for straightening us out. I, for one, do not think Gilbride is a bad OC. But we have a bad redzone offense. You can call me stupid all you want. It won't change the facts. Yes Eli choses which play to run. Who sends in the options??? Does Eli call the whole game himself? No he does not. What if he gets 2 plays or even 3 plays? What if they are not good plays? Call it execution or whatever else you want to, but 22nd in the league in redzone TDs sucks! Making the team better is the coaches job. Getting the guys to execute is the coaches job. Sending in the play choices is the coaches job. You can't go around saying we have the best QB in the league, and the best receivers in the league, and that our O-line is really pulling it together as a top line. Then in the next breath say its all the players fault we don't score TDs in the redzone. I don't know why we can't score. None of us on the board knows why, otherwise we would be on the sideline calling in the exact thing to do. The Giants played a great game, but it can be better. Call me a whiney nitpicker all you want. Just appologize to Tom Caughlin and Eli Manning for calling them that, because they seem to be concerned about it as much as we are. We need to put teams away, and that is done by scoring TD's when we get the chance.

GMan-67
10-16-2012, 05:31 AM
can we get some new material?

he's the best OC we've ever had by light years ... no disrespect to Ron Earhardt, but if you look at the numbers it's not even close

and hasnt it been forever since the 49ers gave up a rush TD and/or a 100 yard runner

absolutely loved that we stuck with the run ... 26 was more than enough points to win ... we wanted to be physical from start to finish

time to understand that point

nhpgiantsfan
10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I don't care whose fault it is, KG, Eli, WR's, whatever. But the red zone offense, especially inside the 10 yard line has got to improve. Too many times 1st & goals inside the 10 and we are settling for 3. It's eventually gonna bight us in the ***.

b_ELI_eve
10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Blame it on anyone you want. It must be improved, because when the games start to get closer and the playoffs are on the line, those field goals need to be touchdowns

GameTime
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
hmmm....I wonder if the coaches know this?? I hope they read these boards so they can improve the team...

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah we need to put up more tds cause if we don't, it can be a bad sign that we are not that good. I also think that we didn't need tds against the 49ers at the end.

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
hmmm....I wonder if the coaches know this?? I hope they read these boards so they can improve the team... That's up to the special assistant to the coach of nonsense

PRGiant
10-16-2012, 05:43 PM
That's right. Everyone who is worried about the lack of TD conversions, just doesn't understand football. Just a bunch of dumbies. Just a bunch of whiners. Thank you for straightening us out. I, for one, do not think Gilbride is a bad OC. But we have a bad redzone offense. You can call me stupid all you want. It won't change the facts. Yes Eli choses which play to run. Who sends in the options??? Does Eli call the whole game himself? No he does not. What if he gets 2 plays or even 3 plays? What if they are not good plays? Call it execution or whatever else you want to, but 22nd in the league in redzone TDs sucks! Making the team better is the coaches job. Getting the guys to execute is the coaches job. Sending in the play choices is the coaches job. You can't go around saying we have the best QB in the league, and the best receivers in the league, and that our O-line is really pulling it together as a top line. Then in the next breath say its all the players fault we don't score TDs in the redzone. I don't know why we can't score. None of us on the board knows why, otherwise we would be on the sideline calling in the exact thing to do. The Giants played a great game, but it can be better. Call me a whiney nitpicker all you want. Just appologize to Tom Caughlin and Eli Manning for calling them that, because they seem to be concerned about it as much as we are. We need to put teams away, and that is done by scoring TD's when we get the chance.

You know we are second in offensive TDs...second in total points...THIRD in total yards...

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
You know we are second in offensive TDs...second in total points...THIRD in total yards...I bet you that won't shut posters up though. They'll still complain about the offense as usual.

GiantRoc
10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
You know we are second in offensive TDs...second in total points...THIRD in total yards...

That is not the point of the discussion. It has no baring on redzone offense. We have a great offense. Just not inside the 20. We have a great big play offense. Look at the 2 Superbowls we won against N.E. The Giants outplayed those guys buy such a huge margin, yet scrambled to win. If we had TDs instead of FGs, we crush them. No one expects a TD everytime. I just think we need to be better than 22nd out of 32 with the talent our offense has

Why make this so personal???

sharick88
10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Gilbride is lightyears better than Hufnagel. A lot of our new breed of fans really need to go research that guy and find some newfound appreciation for the guy that has the watch right now.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
I still am really curious if Eli himself struggles throwing in the redzone. Brady, Rodgers for instance, seem to have no problem fitting passes in to their average height receivers in the red zone.

How about Eli compared to Peyton in the redzone, are they similar?

Maybe a lack of mobility has some effect down there, having a QB who can roll out changes angles in a short area and can really change things.

miked1958
10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
After two INTs by Rolle, the pass-happy Gilbride ruined any chances of scoring TDs and only settled for 2 FGs, that is not acceptable.On the possession after 1st INT, he called, PASS, PASS, PASS.On the possession after 2nd INT, he called, RUN, PASS, PASS (this was on 5 yard line!!!)Seriously, what is wrong with this man? Bradshaw was running like a man possessed, and Gilbride still can't get rid of his bad habit of going to a pass play on the part of the field where passing is extremely difficult.I've heard Eli saying "We can't settle for FGs" in post-game press conference once too many, I'm really getting sick of it.I credit the win to the DEFENSE, the offense really didn't have to do much today.yep... I know.. I was yelling at the TV for Rolle to score on those two INTs cause I knew if he didn't get in that even at the five yard line we'd have hard time getting in the endzone

miked1958
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I am sure this has been said but they need to Post up Barden in the endzone

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I am sure this has been said but they need to Post up Barden in the endzone

Barden only wins on one route against good coverage, the slant.

TheShouldersOf
10-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Actually, Bradshaw didn't get the bulk of his yards until the fourther Quarter, the first and second were inconsistant, the first and second quarters is where they got their passing yards,

BeatYale
10-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Both running and passing are difficult in the redzone. Not everyone interprets "We can't settle for FGs" as "The play calling sucks". Eli decides on a play, the OLine blocks, the WRs try to create separation, and Eli decides where to go with the ball. Execution is key.

miked1958
10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but according to giants.coms "Inside the numbers" the giants are tied with NE for the most trips inside the 20. The have made 29 trips to the Redzone scoring on 27 of them. The problem comes in where less then 50% of the scores are touchdowns with 14FGs and 13TDs

That has to improve going forward

BeatYale
10-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I still am really curious if Eli himself struggles throwing in the redzone.

Well he definitely struggles in redzone touchdowns compared to other QBs, I think he stares down his receiver too much which leads the DB's to the ball. I think the play calling could be better though, more crossing and underneath routes. Our offense is too vertical IMO. Brees and the Saints dink and dunk all game long, Sproles had more receptions last year than any Giants WR. He had more receptions than all the Giants RB's combined. Same goes for their TE Graham.

http://www.ffmastermind.com/fantasy-football-red-zone-analysis.php

WHAT THE NUMBERS TELL US

• Nobody is more efficient than Drew Brees. While most passers complete about 50 percent of their RZ passes, Brees completes more than 60 percent and nobody throws more RZTDs.
• Tom Brady is just as dangerous – and prolific – in the red zone and the distance between them and the next level of players is pronounced.
• Aaron Rodgers threw 30 of his touchdowns last year in the red zone.
• Matt Ryan is one of the more prolific red zone passers even though his primary running back has the most carries of any RB in the red zone.
• Eli Manning has almost as many touchdowns outside the red zone (20 yards and beyond) than in the red zone and throws too many incompletions and interceptions.
• Tony Romo doesn’t throw picks in the red zone – it’s either a touchdown or a field goal.
• Michael Vick’s red zone prowess took a significant hit last year – both as a passer and a rusher.
• Mark Sanchez is dangerous in the red zone – both as a passer and a runner (see below).
• Alex Smith is too conservative in the red zone (or at least he has been).
• Matt Hasselbeck wasn’t extraordinarily productive in the red zone, but was very efficient.
• Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t as dangerous in the red zone as he has been in recent years.
• Over the last three years, no quarterback has thrown more red zone interceptions than Jay Cutler.
• In two years, Peyton Manning is still the most effective red zone passer in the league, throwing 48 touchdowns and just one interception.
• Matt Cassel is one of the most efficient red zone passers in the league.

GCGiant
10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Didn't read the entire thread. I agree with Fbomb. Thoughts that come to my head...

The rings...at least 1 person already mentioned. How difficult it becomes inside the redzone...just a fact, field becomes shorter. Finally, any Giants fan, even us newcomers, know that they play Giants style football...which ultimately translates to conservative.

VelocityVirus
10-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Every play the giants get multiple play calls in the huddle. Eli picks which play to go with at the line.

I'm not sure people here understand that. KG and Eli are doing what Tom Moore and Peyton use to in Indy. I believe it was two run and two pass options per play, and Peyton would pick the one he saw fit.

GiantRoc
10-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Gilbride is lightyears better than Hufnagel. A lot of our new breed of fans really need to go research that guy and find some newfound appreciation for the guy that has the watch right now.

Again... Why get personal? Been a fan long enough to remember Bob Tucker , Tucker Fredrickson and Fran Tarkington. Another reason I love Eli so much. Love seeing that #10 on our QB running the show. Please don't assign motive to my post. I'm just pulling for improvement. I think with a few adjustments, this team could be one for the history books. I AM NOT A HATER

FlyingTruck
10-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Beat team by 20 points. *****ing that we didn't score more in the endzone. Got to love some of these threads lol.