PDA

View Full Version : I don't see Eli as MVP

Harooni
10-14-2012, 10:33 PM
I think its more of him in the right situation in a great system with a great coach. Eli makes some terrific throws no doubt but as we know runs hot and cold and seems to play with more fire when we are trailing in games.

He has come a long way and oct is usually his best month as he tends to like warmer weather. I think its fair to say he has come into his own and idont think there is a better QB when you need a quick score to tie it up or take the lead. But MVP of the league ,no don't really see it .

if he does HOF no doubt

slipknottin
10-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Who in the league has played better than Eli?

juice33s
So who do you want to give to? Matt Ryan whose never won a playoff game?

Rudyy
I don't really care about the MVP thing. Neither does he. As long as we are in the playoffs and winning SB's, that's good enough.

PETEY006
Its too early to say. Lets wait after week 8 to determine the leader

Rudyy
10-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Who in the league has played better than Eli? Brady or Rodgers, because they throw pretty passes, and they look pretty doing it.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I do think he should be mentioned , im also thinking its way to early. could it go to RG3?

BigBlue1971
10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
he is imo in the early running for mvp! Matt Ryan is having a good year and may be the only one challenging Eli for that award! with this win against the previous "best team" in football shines a bright light on Eli.

Eli is already a hof'er imo! those two sbs and sb mvp clinched that!

LT Stands For Greatness
10-14-2012, 11:01 PM
"I think its more of him in the right situation in a great system with a great coach. Eli makes some terrific throws no doubt but as we know runs hot and cold and seems to play with more fire when we are trailing in games.

He has come a long way and oct is usually his best month as he tends to like warmer weather. I think its fair to say he has come into his own and idont think there is a better QB when you need a quick score to tie it up or take the lead. But MVP of the league ,no don't really see it .

if he does HOF no doubt"

I respectfully disagree. Look at past League MVP's. Joe Montana won it twice. He was in the right situation with a great system and a great coach. Remember, if the Giants didn't take Phil in the draft, they would have selected Montana. Kurt Warner won it with the Rams. Now I don't think **** Vermeil is a great coach. He was a good coach, don't get me wrong. Kurt was in a right situation there, with the greatest show on turf. Rich Gannon won it with the Raiders, and I can't say they had a good anything. I think Eli is surely on track to be a league MVP. You said it yourself....there's no better QB when you need a quick score and are down. Right there, it seems he's the most valuable player. : )

TextureDj
10-14-2012, 11:05 PM
When Gilbride ran this system without Eli, it got labeled the "chuck and duck" now with a QB like Eli running it you are calling it a great system at the right time. That alone speaks volumes.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 11:05 PM
you are talking about era where you could kill the qb and mug the WR, how can you compare to today when you got guys likr matt staford throwing 5000 a year. for warner and simms and montana to go out there and throw 3 td's it was really something because it was much much harder. the nfl now is geared toward protection and passing game to light up the score board and attract fans.

Signature NYG
10-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I think its more of him in the right situation in a great system with a great coach. Eli makes some terrific throws no doubt but as we know runs hot and cold and seems to play with more fire when we are trailing in games.

if he does HOF no doubt

Sounds like you do think he is League MVP Harooni lol.

IMO and most board members it would seem he is MVP so far this year. I mean what player has had injuries to key guys like Hakeem Nicks and replaced them with completely unknowns (barden) or simply not as talented players (hixon) and has had the same production. This guy make his teammates better, and Leads them to victories or at the minimum puts them in position to win every game?

I mean the only other real candidates imo Arian Foster and Matt Ryan and they don't do as much for their team as Eli for the Giants.

Mohann
10-14-2012, 11:24 PM

if he does HOF no doubt

Of course not. You never got Eli. You want stats and style, but Eli is all substance. Eli has magic, and only the eye test can pick that up. You refuse to see it and always have.

yatitle
10-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't really care about the MVP thing. Neither does he. As long as we are in the playoffs and winning SB's, that's good enough.

I really don't care what Harooni says. He's bored and trying to rile up the board after a Giants dominating victory. I ain't fishing.

NYG4lifeNYK
10-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Great system... give me a break harooni..... this offense is NOT set up for sexy stats

You're one of the biggest trolls on the internet sometimes lol

LT Stands For Greatness
10-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Simple....there is a commonality with them.....when the game is on the line, who do you want with the ball? Who can you rely on? How many times did Joe bring the 49ers back to win? Even Simms. Peyton was/is the same way as is Brady....today's QB's, even though Brady did come short today. But they all have a history of being the person you want with the ball and the game on the line. Its why they were named NFL MVPs multiple times each ( I think Peyton had 4 and Tom had 2). Eli was up there in yards last season with nearly 5,000 yds (I believe 4,933 yds), plus leading the NFL in come from behind victories. Sure, the rules are made to favor the offense compared to the past, but defenses can still stop the offense. Eli has continued to get better. We both agree about that. I think its pretty fair to say that at this point, Eli can be in the running. If he continues to play as well as he has throughout the rest of the season, I can't see why he can not be league MVP. But, that's only one man's opinion. : )

Harooni
10-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Of course not. You never got Eli. You want stats and style, but Eli is all substance. Eli has magic, and only the eye test can pick that up. You refuse to see it and always have. no Eli does have some sort of magic or lucky horseshoe , it explians the dropped would be ints he gets. haha j/k

no he is special i do see that part. i said i dont think there is a better QB when you need that 2 min drill. but i do see him go hot and cold during games.

BeatYale
10-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Who in the league has played better than Eli?

Guys who have padded stats always get the MVP votes. The Giants don't run the score up on teams, we stop airing it out and start running the ball to kill clock etc. This prevents Eli from inflating his QB rating, and TD numbers.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Great system... give me a break harooni..... this offense is NOT set up for sexy stats

You're one of the biggest trolls on the internet sometimes lol well Gilbride does call pass heavy you know. im not trolling im being honest. we have a nice system with TC and running game and good defense. there is no shame admitting that even if you are Eli's biggest fan. it takes the team to win a sb.

Mohann
10-14-2012, 11:37 PM
no Eli does have some sort of magic or lucky horseshoe , it explians the dropped would be ints he gets. haha j/k

no he is special i do see that part. i said i dont think there is a better QB when you need that 2 min drill. but i do see him go hot and cold during games.

And I think you blame Eli for every hot and cold even when it's the receiver or like today, a good D adjusts. In the championship game the niners D adjusted to Cruz after getting torn up by him early. Rodgers talked about how if he did one thing Cruz did the other and burned him so he started showing one look, but doing the opposite. Today when they adjusted to us, we started running the ball. Think it's a coincidence it got hard to pass and easy to run at the same time? The cost of shutting down Eli was easy running against a great run D. And our offense is not a QB friendly one by any measure. You say such crap sometimes it's hard to take you seriously. I really think you're trolling.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 11:40 PM
And I think you blame Eli for every hot and cold even when it's the receiver or like today, a good D adjusts. In the championship game the niners D adjusted to Cruz after getting torn up by him early. Rodgers talked about how if he did one thing Cruz did the other and burned him so he started showing one look, but doing the opposite. Today when they adjusted to us, we started running the ball. Think it's a coincidence it got hard to pass and easy to run at the same time? The cost of shutting down Eli was easy running against a great run D. And our offense is not a QB friendly one by any measure. You say such crap sometimes it's hard to take you seriously. I really think you're trolling.

sure i like to stir the pot a bit, but no i do not always think its elis fault. only when he over throws ,misses an open guy or throws it into carlos rodgers hands. obviously they all share the blame mostly for those poor red zone plays.

DragonSoul
10-14-2012, 11:45 PM
LOL - Good Ole Harooni - I would love to wish Dave Brown, Danny Kanel, Kent Graham or even David Carr on you, but if I did that then I would have too suffer with that. And I suffered enough with those previously mentioned. And since I prefer not too, then I wont wish it upon you. - Good Ole Harooni - LOL

jomo
10-14-2012, 11:45 PM

if he does HOF no doubtHe loves that warm weather in Green Bay in January, doest't he?

Mohann
10-14-2012, 11:46 PM
sure i like to stir the pot a bit, but no i do not always think its elis fault. only when he over throws ,misses an open guy or throws it into carlos rodgers hands. obviously they all share the blame mostly for those poor red zone plays.

And how do you know who's fault it is. If the receiver makes a wrong read it makes Eli look like he threw a bad pass. Eli is playing a chess game and you're analyzing like it's a sandlot game. Every QB throws picks that get dropped. If the corner could catch he'd be a WR right? But Eli's get harped on more than any QB in the league.

G.I. Ants
10-14-2012, 11:46 PM
you are talking about era where you could kill the qb and mug the WR, how can you compare to today when you got guys likr matt staford throwing 5000 a year. for warner and simms and montana to go out there and throw 3 td's it was really something because it was much much harder. the nfl now is geared toward protection and passing game to light up the score board and attract fans.True that is more of a passing league now, but Eli has put up overall great numbers on top of the fact that he is doing it with whoever is in the lineup. Unproven players look like all-pros with Eli as the QB. Warner was apart of a very high powered offense and Montana excelled in Bill Walsh's west coast offense. Much of Eli's success stems on his maturity, learning & understanding Gilbride's offense in which he has had the luxury of learning day one since being drafted.

Last season, Eli backed up his claim of being an elite QB by having a brilliant season that honestly, no other QB in the league could have mimicked. His poise and composure under pressure is what he will be his label when it is all said and done. So far this year, he has been consistent and effective, and if he continues to with big blue winning with this tough schedule, I can't see why he doesn't deserve to be MVP. He's putting up solid numbers and the team is winning and confident with high morale. Most valuable player is not all about stats, and in the National Football League today, no player is more valuable than Eli Manning.

And all this is coming from a guy who used to hate on Eli big time a few years ago.

Mohann
10-14-2012, 11:47 PM
He loves that warm weather in Green Bay in January, doest't he?

Don't confuse Harooni with bits of information from reality.

Mohann
10-14-2012, 11:52 PM

Take a look at the Rodgers drop. It could easily have been Cruz breaking the wrong way. But go ahead and blindly blame Eli, and not blame Cruz.

FlyingTruck
10-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I almost took this post seriously, but then I saw who the OP was.

Bing Crosby
10-14-2012, 11:58 PM
LOL - Good Ole Harooni - I would love to wish Dave Brown, Danny Kanel, Kent Graham or even David Carr on you, but if I did that then I would have too suffer with that. And I suffered enough with those previously mentioned. And since I prefer not too, then I wont wish it upon you. - Good Ole Harooni - LOL

+1. Although it would be tempting to hear Harooni wishing to have Eli back, please don't ask for a QB with that level skill... the football Gods are an odd enough bunch of cats.

Harooni
10-14-2012, 11:59 PM
He loves that warm weather in Green Bay in January, doest't he? well yeah that was a good game just throw it high and plax got it while TC's nose was frozen stiff.

but if you look at Elis dec record and then simms dec record its clear Eli does better normally in oct

TrueBlue@NYC
10-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Being the MVP means being the one guy that the team cannot succeed without. The fact that they're 6 games into the season and the Giants have had 5 different players with 100+yard receiving games (Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Barden, Bennett) pretty much shows who the main cog to this offense is.

Still way too early to be talking about MVP awards in general, but I can't think of a player that's definitly been better this year, or a team that's relied on a player more.

Harooni
10-15-2012, 12:02 AM
+1. Although it would be tempting to hear Harooni wishing to have Eli back, please don't ask for a QB with that level skill... the football Gods are an odd enough bunch of cats. its not that i don't appreciate Eli , but we did give up 4 draft picks and 150 mill ,so it was like we payed in advance for this. lucky Eli got through those growing pains and has a great coaching staff.

id be very impressed if Eli could go to the dance without TC.

ashleymarie
10-15-2012, 12:09 AM
He loves that warm weather in Green Bay in January, doest't he?

:)

Manning
10-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Harooni always around to stir the pot. You might not see him as MVP and thats fine. I honestly don't care what people think anymore. There is no other QB I would rather have playing for the Giants. I think right now and even when get to years end, his name will be in consideration. The people that were saying Alex Smith was MVP so far prior to this week made me laugh. He is not valuable at all to his team. Yes he might have had the best QB rating, but you could have plugged in probably any top 15-20 QB and they would have been just as successful. That isn't valuable.

Stick Alex Smith onto our team, a situation where he would be relied on to carry the team and offense. He would not make it.

Eli is special. Its almost become routine now at the way Eli operates this offense. In 2004-2007, when Eli threw the ball off his back foot or when he threw it to a WR deeper than the TV camera shows, I cringed and almost always expected something bad. Now, he is the most exciting passing QB in the league. No QB throws downfield as often and as successful as Eli. The receivers obviously have been great as well. But the thing that had makes them great, is the faith and trust Eli has in his receivers. Nicks might appear covered but Eli has such great faith in Nick's ability he is willing to let him make a play.

If other people don't want to give Eli the MVP that is fine. Its fun for us fans to beat our chests and tell other fans we got the MVP. In the end, I trust Eli more than anyone else to put us in a position to win week in and week out. Thats all I need from him. Oh, and another Super Bowl would be great too.

Sarcasman
10-15-2012, 12:43 AM

if he does HOF no doubt

Fair. I hope you don't slaughtered for stating an opinion that while perhaps unpopular is completely fair and hardly unreasonable

But I doubt it.

Harooni
10-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Fair. I hope you don't get slaughtered for stating an opinion that while perhaps unpopular is completely fair and hardly unreasonable

But I doubt it.
;) its expected that some will call me a troll or a hater, but i do see Eli is valuable to the franchise. a Big Cog if you must

Rod-Diggity
10-15-2012, 01:27 AM
let eli run no huddle all game and see what kind of stats he puts up, but he doesn't and still lights it up when he has to. That doesn't impress you? Besides what quarterback doesn't throw a pass that should be intercepted in a game and isn't if I had a nickel for everytime time I seen that. So don't make it seem like Eli's the only one, could have been miscommunication aswell we don't know.

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 01:27 AM
what you meant to say is

I DON'T SEE

thank you

ElIteManning10
10-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Eli has 2 MVPS already.. The most important MVP

DragonSoul
10-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Being the MVP means being the one guy that the team cannot succeed without. The fact that they're 6 games into the season and the Giants have had 5 different players with 100+yard receiving games (Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Barden, Bennett) pretty much shows who the main cog to this offense is.

Still way too early to be talking about MVP awards in general, but I can't think of a player that's definitly been better this year, or a team that's relied on a player more.Nice stat there. Not to mention that historic duo game of Cruz and Nicks.

yatitle
10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
;) but i do see Eli is valuable to the franchise. a Big Cog if you must

Yeah that Jeter kid might have helped the Yankees win a few games also. Comparable to Tiki's post football career might be termed "disappointing"

NYGfanNC
10-15-2012, 08:22 AM
You forgot red font :confused: