PDA

View Full Version : Our Red Zone Performance

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-15-2012, 10:25 AM
We left 12 points on the field yesterday. I was very unhappy with alot of the play calls in the red zone. We have the ability to move the ball down field at will, yet when we get in the red zone it almost seems as if Gilbride moves away from what works very well and 3 times we ended up with field goals on a very short field. Whats the deal with his play calls?

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Eli is the one deciding run or pass down there.

giantsforce
10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
We left 12 points on the field yesterday. I was very unhappy with alot of the play calls in the red zone. We have the ability to move the ball down field at will, yet when we get in the red zone it almost seems as if Gilbride moves away from what works very well and 3 times we ended up with field goals on a very short field. Whats the deal with his play calls?I think this one will be lost in the euphoria of the win but it is a reason for concern. Rolle's INT's gave us the ball on the 10 yard line the first time and on the 5 the second time and both times we could not gain a single yard! If this is not a reason for concern, I am not sure what is. Killdrive's lack of imagination and his predictability is apparent. I just do not understand why Coughlin does not address this because it happens consistently. I guess some things will never change. Good thing our defense showed up and the secondary covered SF's WR very well. Props to Fewell's scheme. It worked for once!

giantsforce
10-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Eli is the one deciding run or pass down there.If that's the case then someone needs to step in and fix that because whatever it is, it is not working.

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Eli is the one deciding run or pass down there.Are you sure? Its not like the 2 min drill. I do understand Eli can call audibles, but I dont think Eli was making the play calls yesterday. I could be wrong.

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Are you sure? Its not like the 2 min drill. I do understand Eli can call audibles, but I dont think Eli was making the play calls yesterday. I could be wrong.

Eli is always making the calls. He gets multiple plays in the huddle. That's what "kill kill" means. They are going to the #2 play.

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Are you sure? Its not like the 2 min drill. I do understand Eli can call audibles, but I dont think Eli was making the play calls yesterday. I could be wrong.

Eli always has at least one option to audible

Diamondring
10-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I've know about making plays and feel that KG doesn't have that many plays for short distances. I think he needs to make some that are designed for short distance. One of the things he needs to add is the delay run and some screens. He adds those to his play calling will give him more options. Those two plays I explained are set up plays and look like other type of plays like the draw play that looks like a pass play. You also have fake draw plays etc.

Another thing could be big receiving talent. Receivers who are good at blocking. Those type of guys can come off their blocks and get at open spots mixed with the run plays can help in the redzone a lot.

Rudyy
10-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I've know about making plays and feel that KG doesn't have that many plays for short distances. I think he needs to make some that are designed for short distance. One of the things he needs to add is the delay run and some screens. He adds those to his play calling will give him more options. Those two plays I explained are set up plays and look like other type of plays like the draw play that looks like a pass play. You also have fake draw plays etc.

Another thing could be big receiving talent. Receivers who are good at blocking. Those type of guys can come off their blocks and get at open spots mixed with the run plays can help in the redzone a lot.That's what we did last week against Cleveland. Cruz pretended he was going to block and then ran a slant route I believe.

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm curious if anyone has looked at QB redzone effectiveness. I do think Eli struggles down there a bit, but perhaps he is around league average

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm curious if anyone has looked at QB redzone effectiveness. I do think Eli struggles down there a bit, but perhaps he is around league average

NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only)

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

We are 22nd

Rudyy
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM

We are 22ndYeah, that's not good.

Moke
10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Our red-zone scoring percentage is exactly what I feared coming into this season. Just awful play-calling or lack of execution? Not sure, but it seems like it's just a lack of execution to be honest. Not many players open at all.

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM

We are 22nd

Do they have just passing? I figure out crap running game would give them a low percentage

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
They have struggled some but the 49ers defense is very good. Have to give it to them. They could have just folded especially after the 3rd interception.

Rudyy
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Our red-zone scoring percentage is exactly what I feared coming into this season. Just awful play-calling or lack of execution? Not sure, but it seems like it's just a lack of execution to be honest. Not many players open at all. Gilbride needs to come up with better plays in the redzone, or we need to execute better. It's frustrating because nobody really knows what it is lol, it just might be both.

Rudyy
They have struggled some but the 49ers defense is very good. Have to give it to them. They could have just folded especially after the 3rd interception.Their defense is good, but this has been a struggle since the beginning of the season.

RoanokeFan
Yeah, that's not good.

It excludes field goals but it's not good

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Their defense is good, but this has been a struggle since the beginning of the season.

Pretty sure it's been this way every season

Rudyy
10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Pretty sure it's been this way every seasonTrue.

Moke
10-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Gilbride needs to come up with better plays in the redzone, or we need to execute better. It's frustrating because nobody really knows what it is lol, it just might be both.

Bad execution of Gilbride's awful red-zone play-calling?

Maybes.

Buddy333
It has. Maybe with the OL getting better now that will improve.

egyptian420
I think we are overlooking how dominant the SF defense is. We might've destroyed that team, but their defense is still no joke. The Jets and Bills combined put 3 points on them. I know it's the Jets and Bills but still, those are NFL teams.

Our offense had no problem scoring 4 TDs in the red zone last week, and the Browns' defense aint no joke either.

RoanokeFan
Do they have just passing? I figure out crap running game would give them a low percentage

I believe it's ALL attempts excluding Field Goals as it doesn't say "passes" or "runs."

Buddy333
It does seem like they struggle there every year. Or is it just us being fans?

Rudyy
10-15-2012, 11:25 AM

Maybes.Now why didn't I think of that?

NYFG
Our red-zone scoring percentage is exactly what I feared coming into this season. Just awful play-calling or lack of execution? Not sure, but it seems like it's just a lack of execution to be honest. Not many players open at all.

I think its the awful play calling. Yesterday we always ran on first and second down, leaving us with very few options(or only one) on third down. We need to mix it up a little bit more when we are in the red zone. I would try to get Wilson more involved in the redzone, maybe toss it to him in the flat and see if he can dance his way to the endzone.

Moke
I think we are overlooking how dominant the SF defense is. We might've destroyed that team, but their defense is still no joke. The Jets and Bills combined put 3 points on them. I know it's the Jets and Bills but still, those are NFL teams.

Our offense had no problem scoring 4 TDs in the red zone last week, and the Browns' defense aint no joke either.

It's not even that. I think plenty of times, we have failed to scored in the red zone. The stats aren't lying.

Moke
10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Now why didn't I think of that?

Meow. Not sure, we are all a little high from that nice victory yesterday.

RoanokeFan

I think we've had a red zone problem for a while now. This isn't a stat you can look at one game and say "X." I know I get anxious when we're inside the 20 because I don't expect a TD.

joemorrisforprez
We left 12 points on the field yesterday. I was very unhappy with alot of the play calls in the red zone. We have the ability to move the ball down field at will, yet when we get in the red zone it almost seems as if Gilbride moves away from what works very well and 3 times we ended up with field goals on a very short field. Whats the deal with his play calls?

It would have been nice to trade some FGs for TDs.....but given how the game was going down, I was fine that the Giants were putting points on the board.

Nothing is worse than being in the red zone and walking away with nothing....that's the type of stuff that energizes the opponent.

That's also a very tough defense.

The beginning of the 2nd half was awesome..... Wilson scorches them on the return, and then the Giants ram the ball in on the ground....that was a big time dagger.

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Maybes.

I really don't think it's play calling. Eli always has options at the LOS and it's his call to make.

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's easier to score down there when you can run the ball. If they can get a running TD against that defense maybe they are going to get better.

Rudyy
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
I noticed other teams using play action in the end zone.

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
just another poster that gave us zero chance to win and is bitter for being so completely wrong

26-3 ... it doesnt get much better

and please learn the word execution ... that's 100 times more important than what play is called or what Eli audibles too

giantsforce
10-15-2012, 11:37 AM
just another poster that gave us zero chance to win and is bitter for being so completely wrong

26-3 ... it doesnt get much better

and please learn the word execution ... that's 100 times more important than what play is called or what Eli audibles tooThe OP is posting a legitimate concern and you just attacking him without offering any counter argument.
And yes it could be better than 26-3. 30-3 or 34-3 or 38 -3 is better wouldn't you agree? We left 12 points inside the 10 yard line. We need to find a way to at least score in there at least 1 out of 3 times and that's what this post is about.

egyptian420
10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I think we've had a red zone problem for a while now. This isn't a stat you can look at one game and say "X." I know I get anxious when we're inside the 20 because I don't expect a TD.Lol I get anxious too because I always expect the worst. And it does seem like a lot of times we waste perfect opportunities that our defense hands us like Rolle's pick last night that ended in a FG and Boley's interception earlier in the year that he almost took to the house.

But I also see us dominate teams in the redzone like Cleveland and Carolina this year. I feel like it's a game to game basis but I'm always on pins and needles when we're in the red zone. The Seattle game last year comes to mind...

Diamondring
10-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Don't forget that the other team is executing as well so don't think that executing a play well automatically gives you success. If the defensive coordinator calls the right play, there can be a high chance that the offensive play will be useless. This is why some OC's get blamed for play calling so they get fired.

What a lot of you posters also don't understand that the play that is drawn (no matter defense or offense) has a certain amount of chances it will fail or succeed depending of different situations. When it comes to passing the ball, a qb might want to buy time. There are two types of buying time. One is when the qb has a little bit of trouble with a defender and that defenders has a chance to get the qb so the qb buys more time by getting away from the defender. Then there's the other one when the protection is good and the receivers are trying to get open on their own after they complete the route. Sometimes these things will happen and it may not be the fault of the OC or the offense.

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Lol I get anxious too because I always expect the worst. And it does seem like a lot of times we waste perfect opportunities that our defense hands us like Rolle's pick last night that ended in a FG and Boley's interception earlier in the year that he almost took to the house.

But I also see us dominate teams in the redzone like Cleveland and Carolina this year. I feel like it's a game to game basis but I'm always on pins and needles when we're in the red zone. The Seattle game last year comes to mind...

I just expect a FG most of the time.

NYGfanNC
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
We were running in the red zone alot after the two Rolle picks to chew up the clock. Otherwise, we would have passed

jdl
10-15-2012, 12:10 PM
We were running in the red zone alot after the two Rolle picks to chew up the clock. Otherwise, we would have passed

exactly. No reason to pass and leave more time on the clock if they were incomplete. The game wasnt close, so the clock was more important than 4 more points.

bearbryant
10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
The point is that in this game it didn't impact the outcome but in other games it will and unless these momos get it figured out and get some appropriate plays cxalled down in the green zone, it will cost us a game or two. This year I've watched gilbride call some super plays for the down and distance we were sitting in, so he has it but he needs to execute it and stop letting it be " good enough". And if eli's the one with those worthless calls than give the stick back tyo the OC and let him do his job! Go Giants!

GiantRoc
10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I think we've had a red zone problem for a while now. This isn't a stat you can look at one game and say "X." I know I get anxious when we're inside the 20 because I don't expect a TD.

Exactly how I have felt for quite a while now. Whenever we get a good play on D or O or ST, I'm always hoping it gets taken to the house. I have very little faith the O will punch it in. Wether we want to admit it or not, our lack of redzone scoring is a coaching problem. Gilbride is designing excellent game plans for the first 80 yards of the field. When we get in close we struggle and have done so for many years. I don't think its our skill players talent level. We are a damn good offensive unit. I think when the field gets small and there is no threat of going deep. It's a different type of offense, that needs a different mind set. I often wondered if we could find a redzone offensive guru to help in that area. Gilbride in the 1st 80 yrds and someone else for inside the 20.( Pie in the sky thinking, I know). The bottom line is, it is a COACHING problem. Its not a slam, its a fact. Wether its poor play calling or poor execution, it comes back to coaching. 22nd in the league is not good. To be honest I thought were were lower than that. If the problem continues it will cost us some big games. Playoff games. Championship games. We have been spared that pain so far, but if we can't fix it, we will suffer the "If only" losses. Those hurt worse than getting your butt kicked IMO.

GiantRoc
10-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't forget that the other team is executing as well so don't think that executing a play well automatically gives you success. If the defensive coordinator calls the right play, there can be a high chance that the offensive play will be useless. This is why some OC's get blamed for play calling so they get fired.

What a lot of you posters also don't understand that the play that is drawn (no matter defense or offense) has a certain amount of chances it will fail or succeed depending of different situations. When it comes to passing the ball, a qb might want to buy time. There are two types of buying time. One is when the qb has a little bit of trouble with a defender and that defenders has a chance to get the qb so the qb buys more time by getting away from the defender. Then there's the other one when the protection is good and the receivers are trying to get open on their own after they complete the route. Sometimes these things will happen and it may not be the fault of the OC or the offense.

The right call, properly executed, has a great chance of scoring. You have to admit that. Will they always work? NO. I don't think any of us are that naive. We are NOT GOOD in the redzone. It's a fact. It has to be fixed. It's up to the COACHES to fix it. This offense can't drive up and down the field racking up plays and yards with great execution, only to have it shut down at the 20. Do they all of a sudden say, "Ok we are inside the 20. Time to start sucking."? I think redzone coaching is a specific talent. I'm sorry to say, it seems to be a talent this team is lacking.

Just curious Diamondring, were you a pro ballplayer or a coach at a high level some where? Again, just curious.

GameTime
10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Part if it I think is the Giants are being extra cautious in the RedZone. Three points is better than a pick/fumble. But I feel they should be more productive. As the running game gets better and better the Redzone TDs will increase for sure.....