PDA

View Full Version : Antrel Rolle, not Justin Tuck, is the leader of this defense

crossouttheeyes
10-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Antrel Rolle is a very vocal (sometimes a little too vocal) veteran who plays his *** off every down. Justin Tuck hasn't played hard on one down all year. When Rolle plays well, this defense responds. When Rolle starts talking, this defense responds. Lets face it, Justin was never a leader and he seems like he doesn't even want to play football anymore. Rolle is a guy this team seems to rally around. He knows how to get guys fired up. Look at last year when he called out Tuck and Tuck responded. He may blow a few plays, but at least he's always giving it his all. I'd like to see the coaching staff and the media finally acknowledge Rolle as the Giants defensive leader that he rightfully is. He was not an FA bust, and while he may be contributing in ways we didn't exactly expect, the man is contributing and worth every penny of his contract. Any thoughts on this?

Moke
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd like to believe that you were right, but I wouldn't give in the towel on Justin Tuck just yet. He might be very vocal inside the locker room.

GameTime
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
To a degree I like Rolle's position as one of the D leaders. I dont agree with what you said about Tuck. I think he still wants to play and when you do see fottage of him talking to the team he sounds totally into it....

crossouttheeyes
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I really want to believe that, but I can't explain what has happened to Justin Tuck. You don't go from arguably the best DE in the league to a non-factor in 2 seasons for no reason. Yeah he's been banged up, but apparently he's healthy this year. The man just seems defeated in interviews, even when the defense plays well. Either he's severely depressed or he doesn't care about the game of football anymore. He never wanted to be a leader anyway. That's not the kind of guy Justin is.

Either way, Rolle has been a vocal leader for the past two years and has really matured as a person and a player. I think it's time to give him the role as the leader of this defense. He's earned it and he can handle it. This defense really responds to him and I think they have a lot of respect for him.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Tuck hasn't played hard on a down all year? Are you out of your mind - to question the results is one thing but the man is playing his butt off. It doesn't always go the way we as fans want it to. Tuck is gettting older and has been nicked up for the last 2 years. How quickly you forget his saftey and then another sack against the pats in the superbowl - PLEASE REMEMBER this game invites fans to think "what have you done for me lately" but those fans who really know they game can take a step back and look at a full career before juding a guy game to game. Tuck does not take plays off at all. You wanna argue he is starting to lose it a bit fine - but why question his work ethic.

As for being a leader - your claim is the team plays well when trel does? Umm then why not just say JPP is the leader - since he has been the most dominant force for the last year and a quarter - heres why - at team meeting tuck does the talking - pregame tuck gives the speeches - tuck wheres the C on his chest - cause unlike you the giants believe he is their leader. Trel's talking has mainly come through the media - and it has hyped the giants at times and thats great but in house this is tucks team. Again rolle played a great game yesterday - save for his poor coverage on moss - but really great other then that and tuck didnt show up in the stat sheet - that doesnt mean he isnt their leader and doesnt mean rolle is just cause he played well. Also doesn't mean there has to be one leader. Ultimately its coughlin and eli and tuck on d.

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Rolle says more, but Tuck is a leader on the D and he is playing hard ... .just not getting the important stats .... which is a concern, but he came on strong last season and im hoping he does this season as well .... i also hope his neck/shoulder things are OK, but dont sleep on Mr. Tuck he was arguably the MVP of SB 42 ... he tormented Brady all night long

ha, here's a thought, maybe he needs to revise his facemask to see a little better

but to criticize any player when we all but shut out an opponent that had been putting up 40 spots ... that's just crazy talk

Bing Crosby
10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Rolle says more, but Tuck is a leader on the D and he is playing hard ... .just not getting the important stats .... which is a concern, but he came on strong last season and im hoping he does this season as well .... i also hope he neck/shoulder things are OK, but dont sleep on Mr. Tuck he was arguably the MVP of SB 42 ... he tormented Brady all night long

+1. Rolle is a good vet who knows how to fire up the youngins, but don't be completely fooled. Tuck leads this D.

CDN_G-FAN
10-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Meh, i love how Rolle plays, but i still don't think we have a traditional leader on defense. i still remember hims publically questioning the coaching staff. then again, who needs a 'traditional' leader?

Eli isn't a 'traditional' leader on offense, but no one would question his leadership now would they?

coachbobbyfinst
10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I agree, something going on with Tuck this year. Same as last year, he was hurt last year so maybe hes dinged up again? Rolle is certainly the vocal leader, he never misses a chance to drop a mack daddy quote on an unsuspecting reporter!

PennState1
10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Based on what Tuck said in the "Road To The Super Bowl" DVD, I think he struggles on and off with mental depression. He actually said so in the DVD. He said that his injuries and the loss of his uncle and grandfather brought on a state of depression and that he wasn't sure he wanted to continue to play football. I could be totally wrong (I love Tuck) but I think this might explain his up and down cycles.

coachbobbyfinst
10-15-2012, 04:32 PM
nice inside scoop! keep em coming!

The_ One
10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Did everyone see how he got tossed to the ground like a rag doll on the Kiwi sack, he just does not have the push that he used to have, something is just not right with Justin.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
JPP got rag dolled by staley on one play too - oh nooooooo. They get paid too - it happens. Just 8 months ago in one of the biggest games in giant history tuck had 2 sacks one for a safety. Be patient the man has earned the right.

nhpgiantsfan
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Totally agree about Rolle being the real leader on defense. Tuck may give good pre-game speeches but his in-game body language sucks. He does not look like a leader at all during the game. And I am not talking about his lack of production. He just doesn't look like the leader on the field.

It's like back in the day, Strahan had the C on his shirt, but Pierce was also a huge leader on that defense. (also because of the position he played) It just seems like someone needs to be a vocal leader on the field, and Rolle is probably the guy for the job.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 05:14 PM
HIs game body language? Ha this used to be the same sentiment for eli - just too easy a guy - look what thats done.

JPPforMVP
10-15-2012, 05:14 PM
The way I look at it Tuck is the vocal leader of the D-line, Boley for the linebackers and Antrel for the secondary. All though I would say Phillips doesn't get enough credit, he is one of the best safteys in the league.

crossouttheeyes
10-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Based on what Tuck said in the "Road To The Super Bowl" DVD, I think he struggles on and off with mental depression. He actually said so in the DVD. He said that his injuries and the loss of his uncle and grandfather brought on a state of depression and that he wasn't sure he wanted to continue to play football. I could be totally wrong (I love Tuck) but I think this might explain his up and down cycles.
This thread may have came off as harsh on Tuck. I didn't mean to crucify him, that was frustration talking. I love Tuck, he's a great guy and a great player and I hope he can put it together as much as anybody else. I don't want to be the judge, but he has hinted at it, I do think depression might be an issue here. His body language, demeanor, and answers in interviews are not the same as they were before he started struggling. Eli has always been even keel and the same, but Tuck seems to have changed starting last year. Being close to depression my whole life, I know how serious it can be, and mental illness is just as valid a reason for lack of performance as physical illness. If there wasn't such a stigma on the whole topic in the first place, this might not be an issue in the first place. I could just be talking out of my *** here though.

I think their was a misunderstanding about this thread though. It wasn't meant to criticize Tuck as much as it was meant to commend Rolle's efforts. I think Rolle has really grown up over the past few years and really taken a place on this team as a vocal and emotional leader. His great play yesterday got me thinking about this, but I don't think he gets enough credit for what he means to this defense by just being on the field. I just think Rolle has earned some praise after the he was criticized for being overrated and not living up to his contract (which I think he has).

I agree on Kenny Phillips though. He's a force and definitely a top safety in the league. Him and Linval Joseph are both criminally underrated young players on this defense.

moosedrool
10-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Tuck has played alot of snaps in 7+ years. For anyone to expect him to be the same now as he was 4-5 years ago has unrealistic expectations. That being said, I expect his plays to pick up when it matters most...the playoffs. He's just trying to get to that stage of the season in one piece. He even said in his postgame interview "I'm more concerned how this team is playing near the end of the year than now".

ALLnygIN
10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
I honestly think tuck is ready to start a career in media. I mean don't get me wrong I know he loves football and the team, but I think his mind is starting to drift elsewhere. I don't think he's really into it anymore.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 06:42 PM
While I respect your opinion its complete conjecture and heirsay. There is nothing to back up this claim at all. The man who gave those speeches and then killed it in san fran and NE last year certainly didnt seem to want OUT as you say. He did say he considered retirement for one reason - he wasnt happy about his play - that says to me a guy wants to play better and has a high standard for himself. My god -bad results will make fans and analysts alike decide they know what another man is thinking. But the fact is he has put in the effort week in and week out - just cause the sacks aren't there doesn mean he isnt trying. The guy seems into it to me BASED ON HIS ACTIONS.

ReiRiza
10-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Tuck will probably turn it up after Thanksgiving ....no real reason to believe this, but I believe it.