PDA

View Full Version : Giants' sack attack is back

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...attack-is-back (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/10/giants-sack-attack-is-back)

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora just couldn’t help himself.

As the Giants’ defensive headed for the locker room after Sunday’s 26-3 win over the San Francisco 49ers in Candlestick Park, he glanced over at the media, speaking for his team’s much-maligned collection of defensive ends.

“I thought we forgot how to rush?” he said.

Umenyiora was playfully echoing the criticism that had engulfed the unit for weeks. The Giants entered Candlestick Park in the strangest of slumps – struggling to harass opposing quarterbacks – but they left San Francisco having regained their mojo.

Just days after former Giants great Michael Strahan sat with the unit for a position meeting in East Rutherford, the defensive line terrorized Alex Smith all afternoon, dropping him behind the line six times and knocking him down another nine times. Jason Pierre-Paul, who entered the game with just 1.5 sacks through the first five games of the season, keyed the assault, dropping Smith twice.

“I think the defensive line finally decided they were going to come out and play today,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “And they did.”

Coughlin added that the widespread criticism of the unit’s anemic play motivated players.

“How could they miss it?” he said. “I think collectively, they made the decision that they didn’t want that to be their identity.” Read more...

thomsoad
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
I hope so.
But its only one game.

Moke
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
To be honest, with all of the defense playing amazing yesterday AND having those nice secondary turnovers, I totally forgot about how many sacks we had yesterday.

Nice!

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 01:28 PM
It was a great game but why did it take so long? Will they show up again next week? They need to be consistent.

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I hope so.
But its only one game.

I think it's a combination of the improved play of the secondary forcing the QB to hold the ball a little longer and the DLine finally getting back to form.

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I think it's a combination of the improved play of the secondary forcing the QB to hold the ball a little longer and the DLine finally getting back to form.I hope so. On the other hand when they took away the run game, which was a great accomplishment against that team, they forced Smith to beat them and he is just not that kind of QB. Next week will be a much bigger challenge because they will face probably the most mobile QB in the game today and he has an arm as well.

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I hope so. On the other hand when they took away the run game, which was a great accomplishment against that team, they forced Smith to beat them and he is just not that kind of QB. Next week will be a much bigger challenge because they will face probably the most mobile QB in the game today and he has an arm as well.

Which is why it's a TEAM effort :D

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Hopefully Canty comes back and makes an immediate impact. Contain the QB and have he secondary play a strong game. Having Prince on the field has been great and now Hosely looks healthy. Just need to get KP back.

BillTheGreek
10-15-2012, 01:44 PM
It was a great game but why did it take so long? Will they show up again next week? They need to be consistent.

They will show up next week ! And with the same Team . I think they got the Message ............Pound and WIN !

Giants, Got the Winning taste in their mouth !

RoanokeFan
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Hopefully Canty comes back and makes an immediate impact. Contain the QB and have he secondary play a strong game. Having Prince on the field has been great and now Hosely looks healthy. Just need to get KP back.

Don't be surprised of Canty takes a week or two to get on the field. He's been in the meetings so no loss there, but he's not been in practices and, at the moment, we have guys like Austin and Kuhn who are getting very valuable experience that will serve us well in the future.

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I agree about Canty. That's why I said hope. It's like Nicks. I was thinking even if he played he was out for 3 games. Canty has been out longer.