PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Returning Punts?

Giantterp
10-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Just curious-does anyone know why Wilson only returns kicks? Did the TC or anyone else ever address something on why he would not be a good punt returner? So far Randle has been pretty "solid", but you would think Wilson could add an interesting dynamic and I have not heard anything on this topic.

GameTime
10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
so you want him returning punts, ko, and be a back up running back???

JPPforMVP
10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Returning punts is much different than returning kickoffs. With a kickoff, you have time to catch the ball and get a head of steam while you assess the holes and pick where you are going to attack.

On the other hand. returning punts could be disastrous for someone who has shown his inability to effectively hold onto the ball. When punt returning you have assess where the opposing coverage is, catch the ball if their not in position to force a fair catch, and usually make a quick couple first moves to void swarming defenders.

Obviously I'm not saying he can't do it, but personally I think punt returning is much harder especially for a guy with fumbling issues.

TomCat_FIN
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't mess with it. Randle has had a couple of nice punt returns and I remember at least one that was called by due to a penalty against the Bucs, I think. Wilson is going to get the ball more anyway off the snap in the near future so let's not overwork him. He's still just a rookie.

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
no, no, i dont trust RBs returning punts

prefer WRs or CBs ... just better at catching with guys around them

coachbobbyfinst
10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree, different skill set than returning a KO. Dude has looked electric with ball in his hands though!

Giants5699
10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree, different skill set than returning a KO. Dude has looked electric with ball in his hands though!
lol

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
The reason randle is the return man on punts is simple - Coughlin (like any great head coach) values safety frist on punt returns. NO FUMBLES ALLOWED. And even with this theory when he has gone for safety with guys like mcquarters and blackmon there are going to be fumbles. But in preseason both hosely (who flashed tremendous skill with the ball) and jernigan muffed too many. Randle showed one thing - he can suck up the ball. And that part of the operation is most valuable to coughlin. He has also shown some flashes on returns - but again the catch is they key and its nothing like kick returns. David has enough on his plate with kickoffs and backup duties. The sentiment that he needs the ball more is right. He is screaming for it with his play - and it will come to fruition as he gains the trust of the coaches, not as a fumbler, as a protector of Eli, which AB does better then anyone.

coachbobbyfinst
10-15-2012, 03:26 PM
very good point about the ball security. Randle is the man, total gangsta back there with the ball in his hands and the wind in his hair!