PDA

View Full Version : Tuck Era coming to an end

tragic22
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey fellas, been on the board for a while lurking but never posted. Loving the win yesterday.

Watching the games this season and last, it just doesnt seem like Tuck has it like he used to. He is about 30 now. He's still a solid DE but I dont see him getting much pressures or even blowing up runs or screen passes in the backfield like he used and you'd think with teams focusing on JPP more so, he'd have more opportunities to make some big plays. Feel like I hardly get to see him do his bow anymore lol.

Imo Kiwi looks like much better DE. He's big, physical, ferocious as a pass rusher and can even drop into coverage from his time learning OLB which could add some wrinkles to Fewell's playcalling. Unless something changes with Tuck, I see Kiwi and JPP being our main DEs by next season and Tuck as the 3rd guy in the rotation that can even play some DT.

Just a thought I've been having this season.

coachbobbyfinst
10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I agree hw ahsnt looked great, but he turned it up in the playoffs last year. In the end Tuck will be right there. i think he is about to go buck wild with sacks. put together a real nice string.

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 04:42 PM
is this the new standard celebration????

we won, so let's trash a great Giants player and leader and Super Bowl hero!!!

Tuck played tons of snaps and we only yielded 3 points to a team you probably thought was better than us !!!

did Yankees fans secretly celebrate Jeter's broken ankle, so they could see the NEXT guy???? im thinking some probably did/are ...

"fans" never cease to amaze me

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Oh how quickly we forget his 2 sacks in the superbowl - one leading to a safety. Judge a player by his overall career not just his game to game. Yes the numbers aren't there but he is not being replaced. Like every giant he will be evaluated at years end. Make no mistake Tuck is still a huge asset to the team. No reason the giants cant get kiwi more plays with his hand in the dirt which will lead to a fresher osi and tuck. Although tuck also moves to tackle on many a passing down. He is still a force and he will show up. Be patient.

Mercury
10-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Well to paraphraze what Tuck said: this is only one game. It's not about how you are playing in September, it's where you are in January and February. He knows it's a long road. I think Tuck maybe keeping some gas in the tank for later this season.

nycisgreat
10-15-2012, 04:57 PM
is this the new standard celebration????

we won, so let's trash a great Giants player and leader and Super Bowl hero!!!

Tuck played tons of snaps and we only yielded 3 points to a team you probably thought was better than us !!!

did Yankees fans secretly celebrate Jeter's broken ankle, so they could see the NEXT guy???? im thinking some probably did/are ...

"fans" never cease to amaze me

yeah, I agree.

@tragic22 - welcome to the board. But I think we need to take a step back. Until yesterday he wasn't the only person on defense that wasn't playing well. Tuck is still effective. The guy isn't super man. He got double team quite often this season because tackles didn't play well. Fewell realized that and mixed up DEs and allowed some of them to play DT. San Fran wasn't expecting that at all. The sky isn't falling Tuck is still a good player. I think we are just spoiled that he isn't playing on an elite level. When it mattered, he steps up.

GIANTSED101
10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=tragic22;535994]Hey fellas, been on the board for a while lurking but never posted. Loving the win yesterday.

Watching the games this season and last, it just doesnt seem like Tuck has it like he used to. He is about 30 now. He's still a solid DE but I dont see him getting much pressures or even blowing up runs or screen passes in the backfield like he used and you'd think with teams focusing on JPP more so, he'd have more opportunities to make some big plays. Feel like I hardly get to see him do his bow anymore lol.

Imo Kiwi looks like much better DE. He's big, physical, ferocious as a pass rusher and can even drop into coverage from his time learning OLB which could add some wrinkles to Fewell's playcalling. Unless something changes with Tuck, I see Kiwi and JPP being our main DEs by next season and Tuck as the 3rd guy in the rotation that can even play some DT.

Just a thought I've been having this season.[/QUOTE

For this being your first post I'd have to say you picked a really bad one. You obviously haven't been watching the Giants play, if you had than you'd realize Tuck is being asked to do a lot. Besides that he had a good solid game yesterday.

coachbobbyfinst
10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
ya'll are right. Epic 1st post for tragic 22. LOL!!!!

SweetZombieJesus
10-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Hey fellas, been on the board for a while lurking but never posted. Loving the win yesterday.

I don't think anybody has been tearing it up, even JPP has barely had his name mentioned. I don't know why you single out Tuck.

Let's see what happens when Canty gets back.

NJBLUE
10-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Well to paraphraze what Tuck said: this is only one game. It's not about how you are playing in September, it's where you are in January and February. He knows it's a long road. I think Tuck maybe keeping some gas in the tank for later this season.

This is my opinion as well!

TheAnalyst
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Tuck isnt the same guy he was before all these injuries, hell, even last year he was contimplating retirement. Some guys last longer then others, but Tuck can still contribute. It may be nearing an end for Tuck and Osi, but man what a great ride it was with these 2 DE's.

That said, I have seen Tuck and Osi playing better as of late. Lots of people bash Osi, but he had some serious burst yesterday off the line. I specifically watched him, since he had more snaps then Tuck and JPP.

I think we will see these guys start to shine again and rack up some sacks once Canty and Bernard return. Tough to get the sacks when a QB can just step up and avoid the rush.

And of course we all know, it isnt how we start, but how we finish. These guys may be saving their best for down the stretch when we really need it, just like last year.

GentleGiant
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Pro football weekly had TUCK ranked as the 5th best DE in the LEAGUE. So no it's not ending. He's not Jared Allen but he doesn't need to be when he has 3 jared allens around him.

rainierjef
10-15-2012, 05:50 PM
It's funny to hear some of you guys say judge him by his past accomplishments, and what he has done to help us win. Do you guys care to extend the same sentiment to Osi as well?

JesseJames
10-15-2012, 06:22 PM
I agree with the poster who just said that when we get Bernard and Canty back and can start collapsing the pocket so the QB has no place to step up into then the sacks will come because the QB will be right where we want him to be, between the cross hairs..

ashleymarie
10-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Tuck will turn it around. btw: Welcome.

moosedrool
10-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I think it's obvious Tuck isn't the same player he used to be. That was pretty much confirmed yesterday when Tracy and Kiwanuka got many DE snaps (great move Perry Fewell). But that doesn't mean Tuck won't contribute this year. I think he will, just lower your expectations.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Sure rainer - the guy is almost a pure pass rusher - very fast off the edge (maybe lost a half step). Unique ability to get to the qb and strip him with the lt chop when close. A knack for getting to the ball. Will give up to contain to get up the field and get the big sack. Not a great power move but can get inside a tackle with the fake speed rush and then rip inside. His ability to get the sack and the strip far outway his lack of contain on the run. As much as its pointed out he actually held the point of attack very well against niners. Some people say selfish - i think he just does what he does well and sometimes speed guys can be take advantage of - but every player has faults, although im failing to see jpp's, but he may be in a class of his own.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 06:36 PM
By the way tracy getting 12 snaps and kiwi moving to end had nothing to do with tuck. If anything it had to do with the loss of Bernard. Fewell made up for it by moving our ends inside more. Remember last year tolly saw about 12-17 snaps a game too. I was suprised it took so long to rotate someone into his spot to keep the line fresh. This said nothing about tuck.

NWKEffectElement
10-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Have you given any thought as to how thin we are at DT? Our DEs are taking a pounding having to compensate. Canty and Rocky's return will be a huge in terms of just having a bodies out there. If they perform well the DL will somewhat resemble what we envisioned before the season.

dave56dj
10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
If there was any comment made it was that Kuhn and Austin are too raw to play the tackle spot regularly. That does not mean they wont be there one day - but he limited their snaps - not tucks or osis or anyone else for that matter.

BParcells777
10-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Just a thought I've been having this season. What about Ojomo? As Ernie Acorrsi once said "You cannot have enough good defensive linemen"

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Just a thought I've been having this season.Here is my thought for the season up to this point....... Holding the 49ers to 3 points, D getting 6 sacks and 3 picks says a TON about the D without ever having to call a single players name(good or bad). That was a defensive strike if I ever saw one displayed by the ENTIRE unit yesterday, and I am damn proud of them!

ingoodshape
10-15-2012, 07:19 PM
great observation . he is dogging it ................................. guess he wants to prolong his NFL duty . he does not even contain the edge at all . and JPP is gettting double team

ingoodshape
10-15-2012, 07:24 PM
what are you talking about .......... he does not even control the edge .............................. its JPP defense

ashleymarie
10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Here is my thought for the season up to this point....... Holding the 49ers to 3 points, D getting 6 sacks and 3 picks says a TON about the D without ever having to call a single players name(good or bad). That was a defensive strike if I ever saw one displayed by the ENTIRE unit yesterday, and I am damn proud of them!

Good post. :)

BlueSanta
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I think those people looking at sacks and see him struggling are not getting the entire picture. There is little doubt he isnt getting to the QB like he used to, but he is still a crucial part of this defense.

Tuck was the guy that held contain vs Cam and the Panthers. His roll was crucial to the success of that game. Cam is 100x more effective when rolling to his right and Tuck kept that in check all game. He was forced to run to his left far more often. People who belittle how valuable this is need look no further than the Eagles game where the lefty Michael Vick was able to get free roam to roll out to his left(his comfort side) because Osi is so poor at contain. In truth, this is 1 of the main reason we have struggled so much vs the Eagles in recent years, because Osi just does not force vick to roll to his uncomfortable side the way Tuck makes right handed QBs shift to their left.

He isnt getting to the QB, he has had several injuries in recent years, but he is still a fundamentally good defensive end.

The 1 thing I am absolutely 100% tired of seeing is Tuck rushing the Qb from the standing position. He is terrible at it and ends up on his arse far too often. He need to be down in his 4 point stance.

rainierjef
10-15-2012, 09:15 PM
I think those people looking at sacks and see him struggling are not getting the entire picture. There is little doubt he isnt getting to the QB like he used to, but he is still a crucial part of this defense.

Tuck was the guy that held contain vs Cam and the Panthers. His roll was crucial to the success of that game. Cam is 100x more effective when rolling to his right and Tuck kept that in check all game. He was forced to run to his left far more often. People who belittle how valuable this is need look no further than the Eagles game where the lefty Michael Vick was able to get free roam to roll out to his left(his comfort side) because Osi is so poor at contain. In truth, this is 1 of the main reason we have struggled so much vs the Eagles in recent years, because Osi just does not force vick to roll to his uncomfortable side the way Tuck makes right handed QBs shift to their left.

He isnt getting to the QB, he has had several injuries in recent years, but he is still a fundamentally good defensive end.

The 1 thing I am absolutely 100% tired of seeing is Tuck rushing the Qb from the standing position. He is terrible at it and ends up on his arse far too often. He need to be down in his 4 point stance.

Jpp wasn't doing it either and Jpp was the starter. Everyone is accountable ( ALL IN ) remember

Captain Chaos
10-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Ah....No!