PDA

View Full Version : Even if Eli manages to get us into play offs...why is there any reason to believe the Defense will play better in POST SEASON?

Razur
12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
What is possibly visible to anyone watching these guys play all year, that would indicate some miraculous turn of events and make these guys suddenly step up? I would welcome some reasonable responses and views...

NewCoachPlz
12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
As for me I don't see it. At this point give me a decent draft pick.

miked1958
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
plus one.

At this point any further winning just knocks us down notch by notch on draft pick board.

We don't need to waste time. Need to lose out. Fire coaches, and start over

pjam84
12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
the defense actually didn't play too terrible today given the bad situations they were constantly being put in by the offense that didn't put up more than 3 points until garbage time. yeah they certainly didn't look great either, but they played well enough to win if our offense came out and played like they usually do and are capable of. i'm not giving up on this season yet. the mannerisms of some of the players on the defense are really starting to irritate me, tuck in particular. looks like he's giving up sometimes. someone needs to get these guys motivated for every snap.

pjam84
12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Bump for throwback thursday. Nearly 4 years ago to the day.

Roosevelt
12-17-2015, 01:31 PM
This is great.

50yeargiantsfan
12-17-2015, 01:48 PM
What is possibly visible to anyone watching these guys play all year, that would indicate some miraculous turn of events and make these guys suddenly step up? I would welcome some reasonable responses and views...

Can we stop with all the negativity and wait for the season to end before we start with all the BS. We lost 5 games by an average point spread of 2.4 pts per game. We may be closer than most of you all think about being able to turn this thing around.

NYGIANTS516
12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
plus one.

At this point any further winning just knocks us down notch by notch on draft pick board.

So idiotic..

last time we were 9-7 and made the playoffs we won a SB..

This team is pure garbage, the fact they are tied for 1st shows how good coughlin is doing

hadenough
12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
It's seriously been groundhogs day for years. But I'm sure the Giants had zero talent on that team, too. And I'm sure Coughlin was coaching that team better than any coach in NFL history could have. haha

pjam84
12-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Can we stop with all the negativity and wait for the season to end before we start with all the BS. We lost 5 games by an average point spread of 2.4 pts per game. We may be closer than most of you all think about being able to turn this thing around.

That post was made four years ago. That's the point. The morale on the boards were eerily similar that year at this time to how it is now. You couldnt even tell we were discussing a different team.

timmytimm3
12-17-2015, 02:16 PM
This is great.

and around and around we go!

gumby74
12-17-2015, 02:27 PM
i don't see it, but i didn't see it in 2011 either. Our defense was pretty terrible that year also.

Blue_ToThe_Bone
12-17-2015, 02:29 PM

We actually move QBs around in the pocket and make them uncomfortable now that JPP and Ayers are back. Prince is shaking the rust off and DRC has been solid all season. Still a poor defense but it's on the upswing as far as I can tell.

We squeaked into the playoffs in 2011 at 9-7 with a defense that was ranked near the bottom and we left the playoffs hoisting a Lombardi. As long as Eli is QB anything is possible.

hadenough
12-17-2015, 02:33 PM
We actually move QBs around in the pocket and make them uncomfortable now that JPP and Ayers are back. Prince is shaking the rust off and DRC has been solid all season. Still a poor defense but it's on the upswing as far as I can tell.

We squeaked into the playoffs in 2011 at 9-7 with a defense that was ranked near the bottom and we left the playoffs hoisting a Lombardi. As long as Eli is QB anything is possible.

I still have no idea how that defense did it. They really played together in the playoffs somehow. I believe I remember Rolle saying all the DBs and maybe even more of the defense were starting to get together outside of football to figure things out. Either way...you generally need a tight bunch of guys to make a deep run.

giantsfan420
12-17-2015, 02:52 PM
That post was made four years ago. That's the point. The morale on the boards were eerily similar that year at this time to how it is now. You couldnt even tell we were discussing a different team.

yup.

i made this EXACT point earlier in the week.

listen, people have a ton of valid reasons to believe this year is shot, just like they did in '11. the point is, even tho there was every reason to believe failure was the end result, we went on a run and won a SB. that can happen again this year. even tho its different teams, players, situations, etc, we do have 2 main staples from that '11 run; TC and Eli.

Monday night against Miami could have been so huge. IF we do go on another magical run, we will look back to the Miami game and see that's when it started...

BROADWAYSTORM
12-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Were not realistically gonna make the playoffs. Relax.

GameTime
12-17-2015, 05:27 PM
playoffs??
the D will have to step up these last three games just to get there

jimmie ray
12-17-2015, 05:32 PM

Awesome job and timing. I didn't even notice the date, at first.

Roosevelt
12-17-2015, 05:32 PM
and around and around we go!

Deja vu all over again.

That Guy Rich
12-17-2015, 06:38 PM
There is no reason to believe the defense will be any better. Who said they would ? Didn't see the date till after I posted. Very dry humor Razur.

jay051
12-17-2015, 06:45 PM
i don't see it, but i didn't see it in 2011 either. Our defense was pretty terrible that year also.

Difference is in 2011 the defense got healthy at the end of the year. Osi coming back in week 17 was huge and he was the catalyst of that defense all the way to the Superbowl. This years defense?? We'll see.

bluesbrother
12-17-2015, 06:46 PM

Yup!!!!

OX1
12-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Difference is in 2011 the defense got healthy at the end of the year. Osi coming back in week 17 was huge and he was the catalyst of that defense all the way to the Superbowl. This years defense?? We'll see.

Tuck was also hurt during the season too, but played awesome during the playoffs.
What 2 guys on D do we have coming back like Tuck and Osi??

jay051
12-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Tuck was also hurt during the season too, but played awesome during the playoffs.
What 2 guys on D do we have coming back like Tuck and Osi??

None and that was my exact point. We can only hope the defense can make stops.

TCHOF
12-17-2015, 10:00 PM
plus one.

Good call! lol

Jumboelliot86
12-17-2015, 10:12 PM

Or that our RB's will find holes to hit? Or that the Oline will be able to create holes for them to find? And finally find away to keep ELI upright? Or ANYONE stepping up for the #2 Wr role? And someone who can impersonate an NFL TE? A HC & OC that understand situational football? We have a lot more deficiencies then just the Defense. & on the Defensive side, IMO- Our starting CB's are quality, Collins has potential and shows improvement weekly. JPP / 8.5 (digits) is still able to put pressure on qb's. Hankins is a good DT. But there are Voids at LB, Edge rushers, Safety, DT, and depth at CB. Need to address the Oline, RB and Defense in FA & draft. If we are to be contenders and not these 6-10, 7-9 teams they expect us to be thrilled over and support.

dsd28
12-17-2015, 10:13 PM
great bump :)

TCHOF
12-17-2015, 10:21 PM
lol if you go back and cruise through some of the threads in December 2011, a lot of the posters clamoring for TC to be fired a month before he won his second Super Bowl l are the same ones who are clamoring for him to be fired now. Funny stuff .

Parademon1
12-18-2015, 12:37 AM
18 pts. that's how many total points we have lost 6 games by. This team could easily be 12-1 if not for last minute blunders, bad clock management. If we can go 4-0 to finish 9-7, I can see us going deep in the playoffs. This team is way better than it's record states. The fact that we've won 6 games & almost won an additional 6 more without JPP for 8 games, Cruz & Beatty for the entire season, Beason lost for the yr, Prince for 5 games, etc. Eli is the key, so he goes, so goes the Giants.

Die-Hard
12-18-2015, 08:37 AM
plus one.

So idiotic..

last time we were 9-7 and made the playoffs we won a SB..

This team is pure garbage, the fact they are tied for 1st shows how good coughlin is doing

In truth, the fact that this garbage team is tied for 1st shows how terrible the entire division is overall

Dattdoode
12-18-2015, 08:56 AM
18 pts. that's how many total points we have lost 6 games by. This team could easily be 12-1 if not for last minute blunders, bad clock management. If we can go 4-0 to finish 9-7, I can see us going deep in the playoffs. This team is way better than it's record states. The fact that we've won 6 games & almost won an additional 6 more without JPP for 8 games, Cruz & Beatty for the entire season, Beason lost for the yr, Prince for 5 games, etc. Eli is the key, so he goes, so goes the Giants.

There are a lot of differences between this team and the 2011 team. The 2011 team didn't have any huge injuries or as many as this team and we had break out stars in Cruz and JPP. That team found ways to win late, were this team has lost a lot of games late. Eli is playing well this season, but in 2011 he had a bunch of games like he had last week vs Miami. IMO If TC gets in the playoffs and wins a game his job should never be in jeopardy.

BigBlue wins
12-18-2015, 10:06 AM
The glaring difference is the giants blew leads this year whereas in 2011, they made leads in the final 2 minutes.

Eli cannot pressure the opposing quarterback when they're in the pocket.

Stoneroses6300
12-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Eli cannot pressure the opposing quarterback when they're in the pocket.

Although I would love to see this! Someone make an animated gif of Eli trying to move into or around an OT.

BdNando
12-18-2015, 11:56 AM

It's real simple, just get in, after that ANYTHING can happen. We can dig up stats and draw ideas and make explanations for why we can make a run but the truth is no one knows what will happen. Watch the games, cheer for your team and stop stressing over things you can't control . . .

NYGIANTS516
12-18-2015, 12:03 PM
In truth, the fact that this garbage team is tied for 1st shows how terrible the entire division is overall

Division is terrible, but that happens in the NFL every couple years.. We are luckily on the end of it this year.

BigBlue wins
12-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Although I would love to see this! Someone make an animated gif of Eli trying to move into or around an OT.

The closest thing you'll get

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/3326179/eli-pancake-block-o.gif

GGGGGGmen
12-18-2015, 10:41 PM
The defense won't play better. The offense needs to score 30+ points per game for us to have a chance against a good team. If they do that, they have a shot...if thy get in.

Eazy E
12-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Wait you guys are comparing our team to 2011? People need to wake up, the NFL sucks this year. Seems a lot of people are blasting our own team but if you pay attention to the league, its atrocious. Thats was a feat in 2011 and 2007 , those opponents were very good those years. How much good football have you seen this year. The league is a joke, cincy lost their qb, denver lost their qb, patriots have issues, carolina just lost their r.b., and t.e. is hobbled, zona lost their rb. If there ever was a year when you had a horrible start and survive and maybe make a run , its this year. The other teams arent much better, I see flaws across the league, no clear cut favorite, no dominant team. This weekend is a playoff game along with remaining games. Stop the hate, stop the doubting, we are the NYG, from now on lets band together and believe. Lets Go Giants!!!!!!

GameTime
12-19-2015, 08:50 AM
the OP brings up a great point. Except my belief it is the defense that needs to step up just to get to the playoffs. Scoring points wont be enough to win the next three games. The D has to step up....even if its just a little

OX1
12-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Wait you guys are comparing our team to 2011? People need to wake up, the NFL sucks this year. Seems a lot of people are blasting our own team but if you pay attention to the league, its atrocious. Thats was a feat in 2011 and 2007 , those opponents were very good those years. How much good football have you seen this year. The league is a joke, cincy lost their qb, denver lost their qb, patriots have issues, carolina just lost their r.b., and t.e. is hobbled, zona lost their rb. If there ever was a year when you had a horrible start and survive and maybe make a run , its this year. The other teams arent much better, I see flaws across the league, no clear cut favorite, no dominant team. This weekend is a playoff game along with remaining games. Stop the hate, stop the doubting, we are the NYG, from now on lets band together and believe. Lets Go Giants!!!!!!

Delusions are nice. No matter how bad the top teams are this year, we are much worse.
We got a lot worse even since the Pats, losing several guys on O and D (and guys that might
start like Flowers, but really aren't close to healthy). It's so bad we have to start one of the best guys
in the league for returns. He is such a threat, teams are going to try and take him out (scary
that they might succeed too).

pjam84
12-19-2015, 11:26 AM
the OP brings up a great point. Except my belief it is the defense that needs to step up just to get to the playoffs. Scoring points wont be enough to win the next three games. The D has to step up....even if its just a little

A great point? 4 years ago about the super bowl champs before they became that? I bumped this thread cause it was funny and relevant, should've known most people wouldnt notice the dates, cause the conversation is almost interchangeable between the two teams at this point in the season.

But yes, i agree, the defense needs to step up. Im confident Eli will do his part so long as the offensive line gives him the oppurtunity.

Morehead State
12-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Holy crap! You did a great job bringing this thread back.
It's food for thought for all of us (yes including me) who thinks this team is going nowhere.

GameTime
12-19-2015, 02:10 PM
A great point? 4 years ago about the super bowl champs before they became that? I bumped this thread cause it was funny and relevant, should've known most people wouldnt notice the dates, cause the conversation is almost interchangeable between the two teams at this point in the season.

But yes, i agree, the defense needs to step up. Im confident Eli will do his part so long as the offensive line gives him the oppurtunity.

I get that and its a great point regardless. The D needs to step up. Which they did in 07 and 11

Drez
12-19-2015, 02:29 PM
I get that and its a great point regardless. The D needs to step up. Which they did in 07 and 11
The difference is those teams had some talented players and a lot of average players. Right now, we have a few talented players and a bunch of bad players. With the personnel we have this season, it'll be difficult for us to even play average football,

jay051
12-19-2015, 02:39 PM
The difference is those teams had some talented players and a lot of average players. Right now, we have a few talented players and a bunch of bad players. With the personnel we have this season, it'll be difficult for us to even play average football,

+1

Also both teams showed some promise in the first half of the season going 6-2.

GameTime
12-19-2015, 02:40 PM

agreed but these last three games still hinge on the D. The offense will do their job most likely

Glaw
12-19-2015, 02:42 PM
agreed but these last three games still hinge on the D. The offense will do their job most likely

The problem is the O's job right now is to be perfect and that'll be tough against the panthers.

GameTime
12-19-2015, 02:46 PM
The problem is the O's job right now is to be perfect and that'll be tough against the panthers.

I look back at the Saints game. The O can be perfect and it still wont be enough. The D has to make something positive happen. A few three and outs, a big turnover, etc.

Glaw
12-19-2015, 02:50 PM
I look back at the Saints game. The O can be perfect and it still wont be enough. The D has to make something positive happen. A few three and outs, a big turnover, etc.

We can only hope.

GameTime
12-19-2015, 02:56 PM
We can only hope.

thats all we can do

Die-Hard
12-19-2015, 02:58 PM

That, and the D has to actually generate a pass rush if they have a lead at the end of the game. That has been a huge, major reason why they've been losing those close games. The opposing QB has ALL DAY to pick and choose where to throw, and they can move the chains and stop the clock at will by throwing to the sidelines.

I know a pass rush is important throughout the game, but its definitely crucial at the end when holding a lead. Not having one leaves the door wide open for a loss

Morehead State
12-19-2015, 03:12 PM
+1

Also both teams showed some promise in the first half of the season going 6-2.
They also lost 4 in a row.

jay051
12-19-2015, 03:30 PM
They also lost 4 in a row.

The 07 team didn't lose 4 in a row. At least we knew they could play defense after their horrible first two weeks. The 11 team had talent on defense but i felt fewell wasn't playing them to their strengths and injuries didn't help either. I just don't see this years defense making any drastic improvements. Hopefully I'm wrong.

GameTime
12-19-2015, 04:11 PM
That, and the D has to actually generate a pass rush if they have a lead at the end of the game. That has been a huge, major reason why they've been losing those close games. The opposing QB has ALL DAY to pick and choose where to throw, and they can move the chains and stop the clock at will by throwing to the sidelines.

I know a pass rush is important throughout the game, but its definitely crucial at the end when holding a lead. Not having one leaves the door wide open for a loss

the blitz attempts have been killing them. RB dump offs and huge plays up the middle. Dont know what they will do to keep Newton uncomfortable

miked1958
12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
plus one.

Good call! lol[/QUOTE]

At the time a lot of people on these Boards were saying the same thing. They caught lighting in a bottle and Won it all. In 07 I said the opposite and told everyone they would make it to the playoffs and win it all even after the bad losses that year and all the injuries.

That is why this year even with all the guys hurt you can not count them out till they are eliminated. Sure the D has as many holes as Swiss cheese but a lot of us thought the same thing in 07 & 11. Talent not quite the same as then but you never know

TCHOF
12-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Good call! lol

At the time a lot of people on these Boards were saying the same thing. They caught lighting in a bottle and Won it all. In 07 I said the opposite and told everyone they would make it to the playoffs and win it all even after the bad losses that year and all the injuries.

That is why this year even with all the guys hurt you can not count them out till they are eliminated. Sure the D has as many holes as Swiss cheese but a lot of us thought the same thing in 07 & 11. Talent not quite the same as then but you never know[/QUOTE]

Lol ... funny how you made that look like it was my post in 2011!!!

Morehead State
12-19-2015, 08:11 PM
The 07 team didn't lose 4 in a row. At least we knew they could play defense after their horrible first two weeks. The 11 team had talent on defense but i felt fewell wasn't playing them to their strengths and injuries didn't help either. I just don't see this years defense making any drastic improvements. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Um...This post was made in 2011.

DarkSaint
12-19-2015, 08:46 PM
Lol ... funny how you made that look like it was my post in 2011!!!

I don't think it was intentional because the someone butchered the quote command.

jay051
12-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Um...This post was made in 2011.

I know. I was comparing this defense to 07 and 2011 defense.

Morehead State
12-19-2015, 09:01 PM
I know. I was comparing this defense to 07 and 2011 defense.
So THIS is what you want to argue about?.....Really?

jay051
12-19-2015, 09:04 PM
So THIS is what you want to argue about?.....Really?

Argue about what?? I'm assuming you don't agree with the poster than said this years defense isn't as talented as 07 and 11?? You are confusing me there with that one.

Morehead State
12-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Argue about what?? I'm assuming you don't agree with the poster than said this years defense isn't as talented as 07 and 11?? You are confusing me there with that one.
No....The 4 game losing streak.

jay051
12-19-2015, 09:13 PM
No....The 4 game losing streak.

I think you misunderstood my post. I never argued about the 4 game losing streak. At least we knew in 2011 if they got healthy that the defense could possibly turn it around as oppose to this years team. I thought you meant the 07 team went on a 4 game losing streak as well as 11.

Drez
12-20-2015, 01:13 AM
agreed but these last three games still hinge on the D. The offense will do their job most likelyAnd even that, the offense is mostly just Eli and OBJ. In '11 we had Nicks, Cruz, and MM. Granted our running game wasn't very good in '11, either, but our OL was more settled, even if not very good.

Drez
12-20-2015, 01:14 AM
the blitz attempts have been killing them. RB dump offs and huge plays up the middle. Dont know what they will do to keep Newton uncomfortable

Put a pebble in his shoe before he comes out to the field? lol

Morehead State
12-20-2015, 10:07 AM
I think you misunderstood my post. I never argued about the 4 game losing streak. At least we knew in 2011 if they got healthy that the defense could possibly turn it around as oppose to this years team. I thought you meant the 07 team went on a 4 game losing streak as well as 11.
"The 07 team didn't lose 4 games in a row".

How is this to be misunderstood?

GameTime
12-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Put a pebble in his shoe before he comes out to the field? lol

nice

Parademon1
12-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Eli & the O are gonna have to be super aggressive today & not settle for 3s in the RZ. If we're deep in Carolina territory, go for it on 4th & short. I believe they have to score plus 35-40 to win this game as I don't see this D holding Cam to under 28pts. If we had a good D , I'd say not to worry bout their running game, since Stewart is out, but it is the Giants D we're talking about.

Glaw
12-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Eli & the O are gonna have to be super aggressive today & not settle for 3s in the RZ. If we're deep in Carolina territory, go for it on 4th & short. I believe they have to score plus 35-40 to win this game as I don't see this D holding Cam to under 28pts. If we had a good D , I'd say not to worry bout their running game, since Stewart is out, but it is the Giants D we're talking about.

The panthers capitalize on other teams TOs and it could be one of those games, but if we can stay away from the TOs I don't see a high scoring game.
They're a very good defense and overall team, this is a very tough match up for us.

Go Giants!!!