PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Austin only 7 snaps on Sunday

drewz
10-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm gonna have to rewatch the game to see where the snaps came at.. but it's interesting he didn't much snaps at all

Marvin Austin: 7 snaps on D, 2 on ST
Markus Kuhn: 20 snaps on D, 12 on ST
Keith Rivers: 7 snaps on D, none on ST

slipknottin
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Its not that surprising, after the first half, 49ers rarely ran a heavy package, instead were trying to throw the ball.

BigJ
10-15-2012, 10:35 PM
I really don't think he's very good, if we draft a DT high next year I think he is at a high risk of gettin cutt. Liked him out of collage thought he can help us but he was out of football for 2 years and I don't think he has showed the coaching staff much if Kuhn is gettin that many snaps over him. And u can say cause the package this game but I'm pretty sure Kuhn played more then him last game against the Browns too

GMan-67
10-15-2012, 10:51 PM
wow, i had that almost exactly right with Kuhn, somebody was like HE STARTED, and i was like yeah and he played 10 D snaps ... make that 8

Rivers is nursing a hammy, so dont go crazy with his deal

Austin, well cant say how that project is going ... but i'd still keep him over Kuhn when Canty and Bernard get back ... to me, Kuhn could be cut, clear waivers and we could sign him to PSquad hopefully

Buddy333
10-15-2012, 10:54 PM
If you watch the opening kick off of the second half I think he is the one that pancakes someone to help spring Wilson. He will get more reps.

JJC7301
10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm gonna have to rewatch the game to see where the snaps came at.. but it's interesting he didn't much snaps at all

But would they really be starting a guy who missed all of last year and has never played NFL ball, and missed his last year of college ball? I wouldn't expect him to be in there that much. Maybe by the end of the season, he'll get a lot more snaps.

Why is he being judged right now?

drewz
10-15-2012, 11:14 PM
But would they really be starting a guy who missed all of last year and has never played NFL ball, and missed his last year of college ball? I wouldn't expect him to be in there that much. Maybe by the end of the season, he'll get a lot more snaps.

Why is he being judged right now?

I don't think anyone is judging him. I think a lot of us were high on Marvin Austin and are seeing how he is developing and doing on a week to week basis.

berya
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Austin, well cant say how that project is going ... but i'd still keep him over Kuhn when Canty and Bernard get back ... to me, Kuhn could be cut, clear waivers and we could sign him to PSquad hopefully

I think the fact that Kuhn got 20 snaps on D this past game is a sure sign he is not getting cut. (nor do I think Austin is getting cut). I think the cuts come from somewhere else besides these two but we'll see.

GMENAGAIN
10-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Kuhn played almost 3 times as many snaps as Austin. Assuming that Austin wasn't injured, that doesn't speak well to what the coaches think of Austin.

Did Rivers get re-injured?

TroyArcher
10-16-2012, 09:57 AM
So far the guy has been a complete bust. He better start making an impression soon or he is out of here.

hadenough
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I really don't think he's very good, if we draft a DT high next year I think he is at a high risk of gettin cutt. Liked him out of collage thought he can help us but he was out of football for 2 years and I don't think he has showed the coaching staff much if Kuhn is gettin that many snaps over him. And u can say cause the package this game but I'm pretty sure Kuhn played more then him last game against the Browns too

I'm with you...I don't think he's very good. He gets pushed all around. I'll give him the year though...he has been out of football for a while.

miked1958
10-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Kuhn played almost 3 times as many snaps as Austin. Assuming that Austin wasn't injured, that doesn't speak well to what the coaches think of Austin.

Did Rivers get re-injured?I dont think so. I saw him out there near the very end of the game. I think they just limited his snaps

DaKraken
10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Once again the fickle fans are out in full force. I'm glad none of you are working on the front office or half or roster would be staring on other teams and not filling in the injury holes for us.

Give the Anchorman some time for goodness sakes. Why does everyone here seem to think was going to step right in and be a starter? Linval Joseph took a few years to establish himself behind vets Cofield and Canty.

You don't cut a second round pick who didn't play his senior year, played none of his rookie year and now has a few games under his belt. He's getting time on special teams as well - he laid a bit hit on someone during one of Wilson's kick returns.

None of us are at practice etc to know his conditioning and other factors at this point. Check back in another year or two before we label him a bust, or cut him.

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
He wasn't drafted to start he was drafted to develop

GMENAGAIN
10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
What disppointed me about Austin was that he reportedly showed up to off-season workouts out of shape. To me that is simply unbelievable when you are a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and is looking to show what you can do.

GreenZone
10-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Where did you get these stats?

timmytimm3
10-16-2012, 12:18 PM
He wasn't drafted to start he was drafted to develop

I think that formula has worked out well in the past.

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 12:23 PM
I think that formula has worked out well in the past.

Will Beatty to name one

NYFG
10-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Will Beatty to name one

JPP to name another. They took a complete flyer on the guy.

hadenough
10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
JPP to name another. They took a complete flyer on the guy.

And Clint Sintim....to me Austin hasn't shown anything yet...similarly as Sintim never really did. At least JPP, Beatty, etc....showed some promise early on. I just don't see where Austin fits on this team. He doesn't appear strong at the point of attack. His asset is his quickness. But on a team that tries to apply pressure on passing downs with mostly DE's...I just don't see a place for what he can bring to the table. Maybe he will improve throughout the year, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

B-Red22
10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
So far the guy has been a complete bust. He better start making an impression soon or he is out of here.

He has played 4 games after sitting out of football for 2 years, how bout you slow just a little.

tikiandphil
10-16-2012, 12:41 PM
If you watch the opening kick off of the second half I think he is the one that pancakes someone to help spring Wilson. He will get more reps.

Watched it in slow mo, he lays the guy out like a wall fell on him. Looked real heavy on that play. Is it conditioning, rust or is he just not ready?

timmytimm3
10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Watched it in slow mo, he lays the guy out like a wall fell on him. Looked real heavy on that play. Is it conditioning, rust or is he just not ready?

He tore is pec last year. I'm sure that factors into how much strength and conditioning he was able to do.