PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dorsett

jomo
10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Every great back has their own distinctive running style. I do see flashes of Tony Dorsett in David Wilson. It has to do with his darting explosive moves through the hole. Any one else here agree?

Roosevelt
10-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Every great back has their own distinctive running style. I do see flashes of Tony Dorsett in David Wilson. It has to do with his darting explosive moves through the hole. Any one else here agree?

Yes. I saw it in his change of gears on that kickoff return as well. Good call.

jomo
10-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Yes. I saw it in his change of gears on that kickoff return as well. Good call.I expected the old timers to see that. TD was amazing Rosey. I hope that DW is able to realize his full potential.

Roosevelt
10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
I expected the old timers to see that. TD was amazing Rosey. I hope that DW is able to realize his full potential.

I didn't get to see the entire game. I'm going to watch it tonight.

ashleymarie
10-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Dorsett certainly had a whizz about him. He could run straight on, but he was at his best spinning, bursting his speed to a new level, plus getting a few extra yds after he is about to be brought down. Loved watching that guy run. I hadn't noticed Wilson whizzing like TD did, but we haven't seen much of him yet.

Captain Chaos
10-15-2012, 10:09 PM
More like Emit with his size and ability....

giantsfan420
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
i am reminded of gayle sayers. both run similarly. both were track stars iirc. both just looked athletically superior than the competition. he has the potential to be a special special back

GiantRoc
10-15-2012, 11:57 PM
i am reminded of Gayle Sayers. both run similarly. both were track stars iirc. both just looked athletically superior than the competition. he has the potential to be a special special back

+1 To me David Wilson looks much faster and more explosive than Dorestt and Smith. Sayers was much the same as Wilson, make the break and gone. Not sure if he has the same elusiveness as Sayers. Time will tell. Let's get the kid in an investment program so he doesn't go broke like Dorsett.

giantsfan420
10-16-2012, 12:06 AM
+1 To me David Wilson looks much faster and more explosive than Dorestt and Smith. Sayers was much the same as Wilson, make the break and gone. Not sure if he has the same elusiveness as Sayers. Time will tell. Let's get the kid in an investment program so he doesn't go broke like Dorsett.

even the way they both hold the ball when in sprint...altho im sure it will look diff with wilson with all the ball protection. but just the way they both glide, they look like they're not even moving yet they are somehow outrunning everyone. badly.
when ppl were looking at martin, i didnt understand why. he does everything well but nowadays, the nfl, rb's are a dime a dozen. but when a guy like wilson possesses such athleticism speed and burst, thats the kinda guy i'd invest a 1rst in. he could become a special rb...

zimonami
10-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree with you, Roc. I think he is quicker to the hole than TD or Emmitt. I think Wilson'e stride is shorter than theirs... but his feet are faster. Wilson doesn't strike me as being as big as his listed weight.
Yeah, we have a lot more to see of him to characterize him. For now he's just David Wilson, rookie in a learning process, whose best days are still ahead of him.
The Giant offensive potential has never been so exciting. I'm enjoying it.

mike kennedy
10-16-2012, 01:00 AM
I see David Wilson.

Parademon
10-16-2012, 01:04 AM
I know fumbling in his 1st NFL game & his 1st carry would land him in TC 's doghouse, but if TC let's him play the rest of the game & gives him a chance at redemption, who knows if we win that game. I know Dallas is not happy knowing he won't be benched in the upcoming rematch.

mike kennedy
10-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Benching from TC over fundamental mistakes seems to set a lasting impression in the players. I think it works. It's like when a parent needs to be stern and ground their child. Its the sign of a strong person.

Parademon
10-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Benching from TC over fundamental mistakes seems to set a lasting impression in the players. I think it works. It's like when a parent needs to be stern and ground their child. Its the sign of a strong person.

No doubt! I just wish he hadn't fumbled & therefore gotten more touches in the game. Might have changed the outcome.

GMan-67
10-16-2012, 01:51 AM
i see where you are going, but Touchdown Tony Dorsett from Pittsburgh University was a COWBOY !!! ... yuck

ashleymarie
10-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Goes to show how much I know. I thought he graduated from Penn State. Dorsett was a fennisse (sp sry) runner. Emmitt was a power runner, like Jim Brown, but Emmitt never had a lot of speed. He did bowl over anything that tried to stop him tho.

ashleymarie
10-16-2012, 05:28 AM
i see where you are going, but Touchdown Tony Dorsett from Pittsburgh University was a COWBOY !!! ... yuck

He was a Cowboy who got too big for his britches and Tom Landry benched him. His star running back. Dorsett's parents came into to Dallas to visit TD and TD was late for a meeting or a practice and Landry let him have it. I believe TD sat for half a game but not sure. TL embarrassed him in front of his parents. That was back in the 80's when Cowboys' games were all we could get on our tv. No Giants unless they came to Dallas and even then the games were usually blacked out for not enough ticket sales. NOW I can watch Giants almost every game. I live in Tx btw. We would drive to Waco Tx on game days of the Boys/Giants and watch the game on a tv in a motel room. LOL

UK-Giantsfan
10-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Bo Jackson anyone ?

yatitle
10-16-2012, 08:18 AM

If we are talking solely style I would say Wilson runs with more power and anger. TD was more of a finesse runner always looking to make someone miss. But as far as explosiveness, I think its the best comparison I have heard yet.

GiantRoc
10-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Definitely agree Jomo. Wilson is not like any other RB I have seen with the Giants. It's fun to compare a Giant's RB to HoF'ers. I'd love to see the kid take it to the top. Still like the Sayers comparison better.

BParcells777
10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
He kind of jumps up......does a hitch and then takes off.

What this does to the D is they have no idea what lane he is going to take so they cannot make a judgement

Speed kills

joemorrisforprez
10-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Pretty cool comparison. I was also thinking about Gale Sayers.

MikeSherrard
10-16-2012, 08:27 PM
dave meggett