PDA

View Full Version : Did our defense blitz against the 9ners and...

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
if they did, how many times they did it. Also who thinks the Giant's defense needs to blitz and what percent they should blitz if you do think they should blitz?

DVision
10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes. I don't remember the exact count, but I heard yesterday they were very successful when sending 5 or more on Sunday.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Define blitz first. Is it sending more than 4 players? What about a zone blitz with only 4 rushers but a defensive lineman dropping in coverage instead?

And are we talking only against the pass? Or run blitz?

CDN_G-FAN
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
if you're not getting front 4 pressure, the solution isn't blitzing, unless you've got very talented blitzers who can make a difference. we don't

our front 4 was giving them fits, so they try to doubling up/chipping guys, when you blitz it confuses blocking assignments and forces more one on one situations.

If a front 4 is getting man handled, bringing blitzers could help, or it could be a huge advantage for the offense because it doesn't necessarily pressure the QB and takes guys out of coverage.

our defense will live and die based on what pressure our front 4 can bring.

there looked like there was alot of coverage sacks sunday, but that's just from memory.

Toadofsteel
10-16-2012, 10:27 AM
I usually define "blitz" as a LB or DB rushing the passer (which includes zone blitz).

And yes, PF did blitz a bit. It's the difference between night and day for our defense when they blitz. More teams are keeping tight ends and RB in to block (part of why we didn't hear vernon davis' name that much last week), which foils our 4-man front easily. But when more guys are kept in to block, it's the responsibility of the defense to realize that and send more rushers. There's always an 11 on 10 advantage since the QB himself can't block. Max protect means fewer passing targets to worry about covering.

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
if you're not getting front 4 pressure, the solution isn't blitzing, unless you've got very talented blitzers who can make a difference. we don't

our front 4 was giving them fits, so they try to doubling up/chipping guys, when you blitz it confuses blocking assignments and forces more one on one situations.

If a front 4 is getting man handled, bringing blitzers could help, or it could be a huge advantage for the offense because it doesn't necessarily pressure the QB and takes guys out of coverage.

our defense will live and die based on what pressure our front 4 can bring.

there looked like there was alot of coverage sacks sunday, but that's just from memory.

I'm hoping Stevie Brown becomes one of THOSE blitzers

BlueJayC
10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
They blitzed and actually didn't get there most of the time or at least the times I notice them sending 5-6 guys.......but the back end coverage was GREAT all day......that and Smith couldn't hit the broad side of a bar on Sunday.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Define blitz first. Is it sending more than 4 players? What about a zone blitz with only 4 rushers but a defensive lineman dropping in coverage instead?

And are we talking only against the pass? Or run blitz?A blitz is a blitz right so how many blitzes the defense came with against the 49ers?

BillTheGreek
10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Blitz !---------Smitz ! ------- SACK HIM ! lol

GO Giants...........................Score some TD's

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
most every fan thinks good defense is blitzing on almost every down, its not, you can open your self up for those quick passes and bubble screens.

brad
10-16-2012, 06:23 PM
They did bring a few extra guys at times but also used stunts to help create pressure. Overall, the line just did a better job of getting into the backfield though.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 06:37 PM
A blitz is a blitz right so how many blitzes the defense came with against the 49ers?

No. You need to define what a blitz is before I can answer your question.

joemorrisforprez
10-16-2012, 06:52 PM
They did bring a few extra guys at times but also used stunts to help create pressure. Overall, the line just did a better job of getting into the backfield though.

Yeah, that was a welcome change.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
No. You need to define what a blitz is before I can answer your question.Then don't answere it. I need nothing from you. Blitz is rushing more than blockers the offense has so forget you.

joemorrisforprez
10-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I usually define "blitz" as a LB or DB rushing the passer (which includes zone blitz).

And yes, PF did blitz a bit. It's the difference between night and day for our defense when they blitz. More teams are keeping tight ends and RB in to block (part of why we didn't hear vernon davis' name that much last week), which foils our 4-man front easily. But when more guys are kept in to block, it's the responsibility of the defense to realize that and send more rushers. There's always an 11 on 10 advantage since the QB himself can't block. Max protect means fewer passing targets to worry about covering.

Excellent point, and one of the reasons why the Giants pass rush was struggling earlier this season.

If they are keeping extra guys in to block, then it almost obligates you to send more than 4, because otherwise, if you give the QB enough time, someone is eventually going to get open.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Then don't answere it. I need nothing from you. Blitz is rushing more than blockers the offense has so forget you.

Blitzing is rushing more players than blockers? So a blitz is rushing more than 5 guys?

Im not arguing with you, but how you define blitz is key. It means something different depending on who you ask.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Blitzing is rushing more players than blockers? So a blitz is rushing more than 5 guys?

Im not arguing with you, but how you define blitz is key. It means something different depending on who you ask.I'm goin to have to say sorry to you about my actions. I should have talked to you in a better manner and I'm sorry. Just give me your desription of a blitz and tell me how many times the Giants blitz the 9ers if you wish. I'm sorry slip.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm goin to have to say sorry to you about my actions. I should have talked to you in a better manner and I'm sorry. Just give me your desription of a blitz and tell me how many times the Giants blitz the 9ers if you wish. I'm sorry slip.

Im willing to go through the game and write these things down because I find them interesting, I would just like to know what specifically you want to see. Let me go through all 6 sacks right now and tell you who rushed the qb and how.

DVision
10-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Im willing to go through the game and write these things down because I find them interesting, I would just like to know what specifically you want to see. Let me go through all 6 sacks right now and tell you who rushed the qb and how.

Slip I know it's a lot of work, but can you look at more than just the sacks? I can't remember where I heard it, but what I was referencing before mentioned how the pressure we generated when sending 5+ affected Alex Smith. I believe they mentioned we brought pressure on at least 1 of the turnovers.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Slip I know it's a lot of work, but can you look at more than just the sacks? I can't remember where I heard it, but what I was referencing before mentioned how the pressure we generated when sending 5+ affected Alex Smith. I believe they mentioned we brought pressure on at least 1 of the turnovers.

I will as soon as the MNT soccer game ends.

DVision
10-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I will as soon as the MNT soccer game ends.

Cool! Thanks.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Im willing to go through the game and write these things down because I find them interesting, I would just like to know what specifically you want to see. Let me go through all 6 sacks right now and tell you who rushed the qb and how. I want to see how many times our defense run blitzed and pass blitzed no matter if it is man or zone. Also give me how many times they rushed a 4 man blitz. You got me thinking about what you said about the defense blitz with 4 men but one D-linemen goes into coverage. Tell if if the defense came with that type of blitz as well. Thanks and sorry if what I said is not clear.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I will as soon as the MNT soccer game ends.I would like to also say thanks and sorry for what I have said earlier, I was in the wrong.

YATittle1962
10-16-2012, 08:19 PM
it's never how much you blitz.....it's when you blitz

the late Jim Johnson is remembered for his blitz happy defense.....when in reality he didn't even blitz all that much

but when he did ....it was at the perfectly selected time and perfectly designed

affective therefor remembered

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Started watching, this game film must have been shot from outside the stadium, cant tell who anyone is. Ugh.

Anyway, Im doing the sacks first. A full breakdown of every play will take a couple days.

First sack
DL is Osi, Kiwi, Tuck, JPP.
49ers are in shotgun, one back, one TE on the left (Davis)
Osi jams the TE off the snap.

Really for the first second or so, its a three man rush, as Osi jams Vernon Davis. Smith has nowhere to go with the ball. JPP beats the right tackle and gets to Smith. The rest of the DL are nowhere near Smith as the play ends. Osi is just coming off the jam and getting back into the mix. Really this is a coverage sack, its about 3 seconds when Smith gets sacked. Ball should have been out sooner.

Second sack.
Giants are in base 4-3. Linebackers are Paysinger, Blackburn, Boley
DL - Osi, JPP, Linval, Kiwi (from left to right).

49ers are lined up in offset I, with one WR wide left, two TEs on the right of the line.

Paysinger comes up and threatens the B gap over the LG Iupati.

At the snap, Kiwi jams the in tight TE (Davis), Paysinger does come, and occupies Iupati. Osi runs a loop, gets pressure forcing Smith to step up. JPP drives the center back a yard or two, and prevents Smith from stepping up too far, Linval beats the RG clean to the outside, and Smith has nowhere to go, Linval grabs him. Kiwi after getting the jam, runs a loop around and gets there a second late and helps make sure Smith is down.

Third sack
49ers are in the pistol formation, with Kapernick at QB, and 2 backs in the backfield. two TEs on the right side of the formation, one WR out wide left.

Giants respond with what I suppose is a 3-5. DL is JPP at LDT, Linval at RDT, and Kiwi at RE. Osi is lined up in a two point stance at LE.

Stevie Brown is down in the box giving the giants really 5 LBs (including Osi and Brown) to play the option.

The 49ers OL all collapses inside, while leaving Vernon Davis to block Kiwi. Osi is concerned about the option, so he stays where he started the play, and does not move until the back already clears him. Kiwi ragdolls Davis, and chases Kapernick to his left, JPP loops real far around outside to the offensive right, and chases down Kapernick, while Osi, once the hb has cleared him, comes up field and helps with the tackle.

Im not sure what the design of the play was for the 49ers, but it was executed like crap. Its over 4 seconds before Kapernick goes down. Coverage sack/blown play/crappy design. Whatever you want to call it.

Fourth sack

49ers are in shotgun with 3 wide. Vernon Davis on the right side of the formation. Giants are in their nickel defense with Hosley in the slot, linebackers are Boley and J Will.

DL is from left to right, JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi. J Will is right over Vernon Davis, prepared to jam then cover him. Davis stays in to block, so J Will comes up and engages him. JPP drives the RT across the field, and gets pressure. Smith has nowhere to go with the ball and scrambles back to his right. J Will, who was engaged with Vernon turns and chases Smith out of bounds for a 1 yard loss.

Fifth sack

49ers are in shotgun, 3 WR, Davis out in the slot, one back.

Giants DL is JPP at LE, Kiwi at nose, Osi at RE, Tuck is standing up over Iupati.

Giants run a double twist, JPP crashes in on the RT forcing him inside, Kiwi loops outside around the RT and RG, Tuck goes up towards the LT, while Osi loops inside towards the C. The 49ers OL slides towards the Tuck/Osi side, giving them three OL to block Osi and Tuck, while JPP and Kiwi have just the other two linemen. Perhaps the HB was supposed to help that side, but the HB runs away to the left side and then up the field.

Anyway, the stunt works as JPP gets the RT inside far enough, and Kiwi simply loops outside him and has a free charge at Smith, who somehow managed to drop another 5 yards, then scramble right into Kiwi.

Sixth sack

49ers are in shotgun, 4 WR (one of them might be Davis, couldnt tell, but none are aligned tight to the formation).
Adrian Tracy is at LE, JPP at LDT, Osi at RE. Kiwi is standing up over the RG. Giants DL is therefore very concentrated on the left defensive side (the right side of the offense). At the snap, all the DL + Kiwi rush, while Boley and Stevie Brown both rush from about 5 yards off the line.

That is 6 rushers for the giants vs. 6 blockers (including the back) for the 49ers.

At the snap, JPP rushes hard to his right, taking the center with him, Kiwi occupies the right guard. Tracy goes upfield hard getting the outside against the right tackle. Boley comes out wide to the left to contain on that side.

49ers actually do a decent job of picking up the blitz, all 6 blockers block all 6 rushers, but its too much traffic around Kapernick for him to feel comfortable, so he tries to run out to his right, where Boley and Tracy are waiting. Tracy turns inside and takes him down.

summary
first sack, 4 man rush (really 3.5 since Osi was busy jamming Davis)
second sack, 5 man rush (really 4.5 since Kiwi jams Davis)
third sack, 4 man rush
fourth, 4 man rush, but J Will joins in when Vernon stays to block.
fifth, 4 man rush
sixth, 6 man rush.

YATittle1962
10-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Started watching, this game film must have been shot from outside the stadium, cant tell who anyone is. Ugh.

Anyway, Im doing the sacks first. A full breakdown of every play will take a couple days.

First sack

Really for the first second or so, its a three man rush, as Osi jams Vernon Davis. Smith has nowhere to go with the ball. JPP beats the right tackle and gets to Smith. The rest of the DL are nowhere near Smith as the play ends. Osi is just coming off the jam and getting back into the mix. Really this is a coverage sack, its about 3 seconds when Smith gets sacked. Ball should have been out sooner.

Second sack.

49ers are lined up in offset I, with one WR wide left, two TEs on the right of the line.

At the snap, Kiwi jams the in tight TE (Davis), Paysinger does come, and occupies Iupati. Osi runs a loop, gets pressure forcing Smith to step up. JPP drives the center back a yard or two, and prevents Smith from stepping up too far, Linval beats the RG clean to the outside, and Smith has nowhere to go, Linval grabs him. Kiwi after getting the jam, runs a loop around and gets there a second late and helps make sure Smith is down.

Third sack
49ers are in the pistol formation, with Kapernick at QB, and 2 backs in the backfield. two TEs on the right side of the formation, one WR out wide left.

Giants respond with what I suppose is a 3-5. DL is JPP at LDT, Linval at RDT, and Kiwi at RE. Osi is lined up in a two point stance at LE.

Stevie Brown is down in the box giving the giants really 5 LBs (including Osi and Brown) to play the option.

The 49ers OL all collapses inside, while leaving Vernon Davis to block Kiwi. Osi is concerned about the option, so he stays where he started the play, and does not move until the back already clears him. Kiwi ragdolls Davis, and chases Kapernick to his left, JPP loops real far around outside to the offensive right, and chases down Kapernick, while Osi, once the hb has cleared him, comes up field and helps with the tackle.

Im not sure what the design of the play was for the 49ers, but it was executed like crap. Its over 4 seconds before Kapernick goes down. Coverage sack/blown play/crappy design. Whatever you want to call it.

Fourth sack

49ers are in shotgun with 3 wide. Vernon Davis on the right side of the formation. Giants are in their nickel defense with Hosley in the slot, linebackers are Boley and J Will.

DL is from left to right, JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi. J Will is right over Vernon Davis, prepared to jam then cover him. Davis stays in to block, so J Will comes up and engages him. JPP drives the RT across the field, and gets pressure. Smith has nowhere to go with the ball and scrambles back to his right. J Will, who was engaged with Vernon turns and chases Smith out of bounds for a 1 yard loss.

Fifth sack

Giants DL is JPP at LE, Kiwi at nose, Osi at RE, Tuck is standing up over Iupati.

Giants run a double twist, JPP crashes in on the RT forcing him inside, Kiwi loops outside around the RT and RG, Tuck goes up towards the LT, while Osi loops inside towards the C. The 49ers OL slides towards the Tuck/Osi side, giving them three OL to block Osi and Tuck, while JPP and Kiwi have just the other two linemen. Perhaps the HB was supposed to help that side, but the HB runs away to the left side and then up the field.

Anyway, the stunt works as JPP gets the RT inside far enough, and Kiwi simply loops outside him and has a free charge at Smith, who somehow managed to drop another 5 yards, then scramble right into Kiwi.

Sixth sack

49ers are in shotgun, 4 WR (one of them might be Davis, couldnt tell, but none are aligned tight to the formation).
Adrian Tracy is at LE, JPP at LDT, Osi at RE. Kiwi is standing up over the RG. Giants DL is therefore very concentrated on the left defensive side (the right side of the offense). At the snap, all the DL + Kiwi rush, while Boley and Stevie Brown both rush from about 5 yards off the line.

That is 6 rushers for the giants vs. 6 blockers (including the back) for the 49ers.

At the snap, JPP rushes hard to his right, taking the center with him, Kiwi occupies the right guard. Tracy goes upfield hard getting the outside against the right tackle. Boley comes out wide to the left to contain on that side.

49ers actually do a decent job of picking up the blitz, all 6 blockers block all 6 rushers, but its too much traffic around Kapernick for him to feel comfortable, so he tries to run out to his right, where Boley and Tracy are waiting. Tracy turns inside and takes him down.

summary
third sack, 4 man rush
fifth, 4 man rush
sixth, 6 man rush.

fantastic break down

thank you slip

CowboysSuck
10-16-2012, 09:44 PM
sooo 3/6 sacks came on a "blitz". Countless other knockdowns and hurries were caused by a "blitz". Seems to me we had been lacking in the blitz department up until this game. Im glad we pulled out the stops.

TextureDj
10-16-2012, 09:46 PM

First sack

Second sack.

Third sack

Fourth sack

Fifth sack

Sixth sack

summary
third sack, 4 man rush
fifth, 4 man rush
sixth, 6 man rush.What? no time stamp so we can go back on game film ourselves and watch along?

Really awesome breakdown. It shows one thing that our restored passrush is really more our restored secondary locking things up long enough to get there.

slipknottin
10-16-2012, 09:54 PM
What? no time stamp so we can go back on game film ourselves and watch along?

Really awesome breakdown. It shows one thing that our restored passrush is really more our restored secondary locking things up long enough to get there.

You're right, I should time stamp them

sack 1 - 8:10 in the second
sack 2 - 8:58 in the third
sack 3 - 4:32 in the third
sack 4 - 15:00 in the fourth
sack 5 - 9:49 in the fourth
sack 6 - 1:04 in the fourth

As to whether the giants blitzed more this game, difficult to say without watching every snap of every game closely, they could have been blitzing far heavier in other games, but if the blitz doesnt get home, then it just looks like poor coverage...

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 10:00 PM

First sack

Second sack.

Third sack

Fourth sack

Fifth sack

Sixth sack

summary
third sack, 4 man rush
fifth, 4 man rush
sixth, 6 man rush.Perfect.

TextureDj
10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
You're right, I should time stamp them

sack 1 - 8:10 in the second
sack 2 - 8:58 in the third
sack 3 - 4:32 in the third
sack 4 - 15:00 in the fourth
sack 5 - 9:49 in the fourth
sack 6 - 1:04 in the fourth

As to whether the giants blitzed more this game, difficult to say without watching every snap of every game closely, they could have been blitzing far heavier in other games, but if the blitz doesnt get home, then it just looks like poor coverage...

I was just being a smart *** but you are the man.