PDA

View Full Version : With Juan Castillo gone, can the Eagles overtake the Giants in the Division?

Mercury
10-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I vote no. It seems more likely the wheels are falling off on the Eagles organization.

shane4177
10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
No emphatically........and I don't understand HOW firing the DC for that team solves their issue. Right now their issue is Vick, and his inability to run that offense without turning the ball over. Maybe you cab pin some of that on the OL for not protecting well.......but I think most of the fault is on Vick.

bigjeep
10-16-2012, 11:47 AM
WOW, the Mods are fast!

Rudyy
10-16-2012, 11:50 AM
As long as Michael Vick is their QB, no.

FourthAndOne
10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Their defense has actually been solid, right? Reid probably just needed a scapegoat, even though it's really their offense and Vick turning it over that's been the issue.

So the Eagles don't fix their problems on Offense and potentially make their defense weaker. Works for me.

GMan-67
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
their D finished strong last season and of all the defenses we played this season they gave us the most headaches, especially in that 1st half

and last i checked their turnovers and their constant abandoning of the run are far more a problem, then their D

and when the 4th quarter comes around in this league, well it's advantage O, so to panic after losing a 10 point lead is crazy .. their O needed to put up another score to protect that lead

as far as the poll, they've already been competitive with us, so this move wont change anything, since Juan dont play on Sundays last i checked

i view this move as a low risk, flashy move to try to artificially put the team on notice ... i cant see this helping in the long run ... maybe it does short term ... if Andy is going out this year, then he's going tear some stuff down on his way out the door :)

GameTime
10-16-2012, 11:55 AM
the eagles are harder to figure out then the Giants are at times. They can be great and then suck so badly.
I say they are in the midst of crashing and burning. Vick gets hurt this week or next week. Or gets pulled for too many T/Os.

ebick
10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
This was a great line in the article on NFL.com

It's a remarkable move because Castillo's defense has been better than Reid's offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080985/article/juan-castillo-dimissed-by-philadelphia-eagles

Mercury
10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Personally, I think with Nmadi questioning the coaching scheme, things are not all right with this defense. And, the offensive line isn't going to fix itself, so it doesn't matter who the QB is. I sense a team that is about to implode. They will be calling for Reid's head again (like last year) in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

C1010
10-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Their defense has actually been solid, right? Reid probably just needed a scapegoat, even though it's really their offense and Vick turning it over that's been the issue.

So the Eagles don't fix their problems on Offense and potentially make their defense weaker. Works for me.

x2

GIANTSED101
10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I definetly think the firing of Castillo is a move of desperation. Reid knows he's on the hot seat and even though he wants to try and move the blame to the defense it's clear it's the offense. Reid chose to dump McNab, trade Colb and move forward with an injury prone, turnover machine in Vick.

As good as Reid may be as a coach sometimes he's also made if perfectly clear that he can be just as terrible in his decision making.

The firing of Castillo will be one of the bad ones that will end up costing them this season.

RagTime Blue
10-16-2012, 12:20 PM
They've beaten us in 8 of the last 9, and are ONE game below us in the standings.

dezzzR
10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
The problems not the defense. Its michael vick trying to throw 25-30 times a game when you have the best running back in the league. MCcoy should be getting at the very least 20 carries per game.

TheEnigma
10-16-2012, 12:31 PM
It's clear that Vick turns the ball over way too many times and still struggles to read complex schemes from the opposing defense. The only "extraordinary" game he had this year was against us. Reid really needs to consider giving Foles a shot. What is he worried about...turnovers? Already happening with Vicky.

GiantGremlin
10-16-2012, 01:03 PM
They've beaten us in 8 of the last 9, and are ONE game below us in the standings.

Actually they're technically a 1/2 game behind the Giants at this point w/the tiebreaker, right? No one should be talking any smack.

CDN_G-FAN
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
when Coughlin's seat got so hot he sensed that his job was on the line, he fired Huffnagal.

This is Reid feeling the same heat.

that's all this is gents.

Dead man walking.

BigBlue wins
10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Any Reid is so fat that he wouldn't be able to leave the Eagles anyway. Their doors aren't big enough for him.

BurnerNYG
10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
when Coughlin's seat got so hot he sensed that his job was on the line, he fired Huffnagal.

This is Reid feeling the same heat.

that's all this is gents.

Dead man walking.This because Vick is clearly the problem.

TrueBlue@NYC
10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't plan on the Eagles going away at all. The move is weird since their Defense has been playing well overall, but I guess Reid is trying to instill a sense of urgency into the team. Either that or all of the defensive players have gone to Reid privately and indicated that Castillo hasn't been doing a good job.