PDA

View Full Version : Tom Couglin or Bill Parcells? Best Giants' Coach on the modern era is...

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/16/3511284/tom-coughlin-or-bill-parcells-best-giants-coach-of-modern-era-is

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin passed Bill Parcells on Sunday to become the second-winningest coach in New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants)' franchise history. Coughlin now has 78 victories as Giants' head man, while Parcells has 77.

Steve Owen is the all-time leader in victories with 153 having coached the Giants from 1930-1953. In the modern era of Giants' football, however, Parcells has long been considered the best coach the Giants have ever had.

Is it time to change that thinking? Has Coughlin now not only surpassed Parcells' victory total, but ascended to the throne of best Giants' coach ever in the Super Bowl era?

For long-time Giants' fans the emotional answer to this question may always be Parcells. There is always something special about being first, and it was the Big Tuna who coached the Giants when they emerged from the darkest period in franchise history to once again become a dominant NFL team. The first two Giants' Super Bowls were won under Parcells' direction." Read more...

Dwinsballgames
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Love the Tuna, but he kinda screwed us in the end by letting BB leave and then sticking us with Ray @&^%$%& Handley

GameTime
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Parcells still has a better winning% and one more div title. BUt the very fact that there is a discussion about it shows they are both worhty of the "great coach" lable.

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Parcells still has a better winning% and one more div title. BUt the very fact that there is a discussion about it shows they are both worhty of the "great coach" lable.

I think the manner in which Parcells left, to include recommending Ray Handley as the successor, puts him behind Coughlin in my mind.

primetime
10-16-2012, 02:31 PM
I think the manner in which Parcells left, to include recommending Ray Handley as the successor, puts him behind Coughlin in my mind.
What if you took that out of the equation, and just looked at the body of work of Parcells.

jakegibbs
10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/16/3511284/tom-coughlin-or-bill-parcells-best-giants-coach-of-modern-era-is

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin passed Bill Parcells on Sunday to become the second-winningest coach in New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants)' franchise history. Coughlin now has 78 victories as Giants' head man, while Parcells has 77.

Steve Owen is the all-time leader in victories with 153 having coached the Giants from 1930-1953. In the modern era of Giants' football, however, Parcells has long been considered the best coach the Giants have ever had.

Is it time to change that thinking? Has Coughlin now not only surpassed Parcells' victory total, but ascended to the throne of best Giants' coach ever in the Super Bowl era?

For long-time Giants' fans the emotional answer to this question may always be Parcells. There is always something special about being first, and it was the Big Tuna who coached the Giants when they emerged from the darkest period in franchise history to once again become a dominant NFL team. The first two Giants' Super Bowls were won under Parcells' direction." Read more...

Welll they both had a game changing player in their pocket when the won their SB rings. Right now it's a draw. If TC get's another before his game changer leaves then advantage TC.

yoeddy
10-16-2012, 02:40 PM
The Giants have won 4 Super Bowls with Belichick....

RoanokeFan
10-16-2012, 02:42 PM
What if you took that out of the equation, and just looked at the body of work of Parcells.

I can't ignore that, its part of who he was

SweetZombieJesus
10-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Love the Tuna, but he kinda screwed us in the end by letting BB leave and then sticking us with Ray @&^%$%& Handley

Even worse than that.

He told people hours before SB XXV he was "out of here".

Yet he didn't quit until AFTER rookie mini camp (I think it was late May), leaving the Maras holding the bag. Most of his coaching staff had left and it was too late to hire a new staff. Handley was just the fall guy.

Tuna repeated this same betrayal everywhere he's been. At least TC is loyal.

I guess Tom has to win #3 to settle this debate.

GMENAGAIN
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM

I completely agree. His leaving and his flirtation with the Falcons . . . . you always got the feeling that Parcells wasn't here for the long haul.. . . . that he was always on the lookout for his next job. TC, on the other hand, has fought for this job and you get the feeling that he will have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the NYG HC's office. Both great coaches, but for me TC's "true blueness" tips the scales in his favor . . . .

BurnerNYG
10-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I completely agree. His leaving and his flirtation with the Falcons . . . . you always got the feeling that Parcells wasn't here for the long haul.. . . . that he was always on the lookout for his next job TC, on the other hand, has fought for this job and you get the feeling that he will have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the NYG HC's office. Both great coaches, but for me TC's "true blueness" tips the scales in his favor . . . .I actually agree with you on something.

BigBlue wins
10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Enjoy this now...Tom Coughlin/Eli Manning era is as good as it gets at this stage of the game.

When it is over, all of you will miss this. I guarantee it!

repeatchamps
10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Even worse than that.

He told people hours before SB XXV he was "out of here".

Yet he didn't quit until AFTER rookie mini camp (I think it was late May), leaving the Maras holding the bag. Most of his coaching staff had left and it was too late to hire a new staff. Handley was just the fall guy.

Tuna repeated this same betrayal everywhere he's been. At least TC is loyal.

I guess Tom has to win #3 to settle this debate.

I wonder what was the final straw that broke the camel's back in that situation. Was it the desire for Parcells to have more GM type duties? Was he truly in very poor health at the time? It was a good number of years before he took the Pats job when he finally got healthy. There is much we may never know about. There was some front office turmoil at one time with this team and that era was part of it. We should all be grateful that the front office-GM-coach relationship is as solid as it is now as this was not always the case.

Toadofsteel
10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I wonder what was the final straw that broke the camel's back in that situation. Was it the desire for Parcells to have more GM type duties? Was he truly in very poor health at the time? It was a good number of years before he took the Pats job when he finally got healthy. There is much we may never know about. There was some front office turmoil at one time with this team and that era was part of it. We should all be grateful that the front office-GM-coach relationship is as solid as it is now as this was not always the case.

I thought he didn't get along with Young or something?

bansaw
10-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Coughlin

embeshAtYa
10-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Congrats Tom Coughlin and thankyou. You have done what you said from day one. Restore Giant Pride.

SweetZombieJesus
10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I wonder what was the final straw that broke the camel's back in that situation. Was it the desire for Parcells to have more GM type duties? Was he truly in very poor health at the time?

He has ants in the pants, that's all.

He tried to quit after we won SB XXI. Wellington wouldn't let him out of his contract.

He flirted with the Falcons... He had a handshake agreement to coach the Bucs and backed out. He quit on the Giants way too late in the offseason. He sabotaged his relationship with Bob Kraft during a Super Bowl. He left the Jets in a lurch when Belichick quit as head coach after 24 hours. Not sure exactly why he left Dallas but probably ego clashes vs. Jerry Jones. He left the Dolphins a disaster.

We have a clear pattern of behavior here. But I do think he wanted more control over personnel everywhere he went.

GMENAGAIN
10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I actually agree with you on something.

I knew that you'd eventually come over to the dark side . . . . .

ebick
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Add to that, that after he was "done" coaching, he went to both the Jets and the Cowboys?.......

TC!!!!!!

CDN_G-FAN
10-16-2012, 06:02 PM

not to mention we're probably at 3 years away from coughlin finishing his body of work as HC.

by the end the numbers will be pretty compelling, and if there's another SB appearance, win or lose, there will be no comparison in my mind.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Enjoy this now...Tom Coughlin/Eli Manning era is as good as it gets at this stage of the game.

When it is over, all of you will miss this. I guarantee it!I'm going to make a prediction and say that the Giants will be good even after Coughlin and Eli are gone. Reese is looking good right now.

CDN_G-FAN
10-16-2012, 06:05 PM

When it is over, all of you will miss this. I guarantee it!

i wish there was some way to archive this post for 15 years.

truer words have not been typed on this board since i've been here

we all have no idea how fortunate we are. None.

But we will one day, and it's gonna suck so bad..........

Astorian
10-16-2012, 11:21 PM
TC has been outstanding, and gets my vote, but I'll always have a place in my heart for Ray Perkins. Had he not cravenly abandoned a young playoff-bound team (to satisfy Alabama's lust to name a new head coach before the end of the year) with two regular-season games left (we lost them both to knock us out of contention), Parcells might never have become HC, and the modern tradition might never have gotten underway.