PDA

View Full Version : Can Eli win a SB without coughlin?

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't know about that maybe, TC is probably the reason the whole team plays better when trailing in games and comes from behind and plays great when underdogs. When TC retires the era might be over with it.

Rudyy
10-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I believe he can.

TheEnigma
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Too vague of a question friend. What pieces does he have available? What's the new HC like? Is our pass rush still good? etc.

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Too vague of a question friend. What pieces does he have available? What's the new HC like? Is our pass rush still good? etc.

Gilbride is the new HC. lol

brad
10-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I guess it would depend on who replaces him... and while Eli has been great, I wouldn't say "can Eli win", there are a lot of other players around him that have an impact on their success. I think Eli would be a great QB in most situations, but just having a great QB doesn't equate to Super Bowls, just ask Marino.

Diamondring
10-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Gilbride is the new HC. lolHe should get the chance if Coughlin retires.

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I guess it would depend on who replaces him... and while Eli has been great, I wouldn't say "can Eli win", there are a lot of other players around him that have an impact on their success. I think Eli would be a great QB in most situations, but just having a great QB doesn't equate to Super Bowls, just ask Marino. good post, agreed teams win SB's

TheEnigma
10-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Gilbride is the new HC. lol

Not sure I like that idea lol. He's proven to be a great coordinator but like Wade Phillips or Norv Turner, not sure I'd trust him as a HC. I still think Eli would be able to pull it off since he would have the option system still in place. Though I think JPP will be the 2nd most important piece in getting another SB.

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Not sure I like that idea lol. He's proven to be a great coordinator but like Wade Phillips or Norv Turner, not sure I'd trust him as a HC. I still think Eli would be able to pull it off since he would have the option system still in place. Though I think JPP will be the 2nd most important piece in getting another SB. i wouldnt like him as HC either.

now can you kindly replace your sig ,i find it disrespectful Warner being a great Giant and all.

GameTime
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
well dont really know for sure. Depends on the HC, OC, DC.....etc. But we will probably find out in the next 5 years or so. Maybe sooner...

TheEnigma
10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
i wouldnt like him as HC either.

now can you kindly replace your sig ,i find it disrespectful Warner being a great Giant and all.

I need a new one anyway. What do you suggest?

And who do you think would be a good HC option? Someone outside the organization?

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I need a new one anyway. What do you suggest?

And who do you think would be a good HC option? Someone outside the organization? yeah outside, not sure who though, not really into Cower or Chucky. maybe PEPPER JOHNSON!!!!

for you sig , maybe something like TC in his chicken wing pose

Harooni
10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
enigma try this one Coughlin and Flava Flav

http://daddydetails.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/flava-flav-tom-coughlin-262x300.jpg

chasjay
10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
I think Eli has the ability to QB a team to a win without TC - if the team and coaching are there for him to work with. Montana didn't win one with K.C., but I think he was capable of doing so if the right pieces had been there.

Given what I perceive to be T.C.'s desire to keep coaching and his apparent good health, I don't know if we'll ever find out.

I agree that it is an interesting question to posit.

NYGfanNC
10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Eli and Coughlin will go out around the same time, so I don't think Eli will play more than 3-4 years w/o him.

joemorrisforprez
10-16-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't know about that maybe, TC is probably the reason the whole team plays better when trailing in games and comes from behind and plays great when underdogs. When TC retires the era might be over with it.

Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin remind me of Terry Bradshaw and Chuck Noll.......they both benefit from working together.

TheEnigma
10-16-2012, 06:46 PM
yeah outside, not sure who though, not really into Cower or Chucky. maybe PEPPER JOHNSON!!!!

for you sig , maybe something like TC in his chicken wing pose

I went with the ol Sehorn. One of my favorite players to watch growing up.

On the subject of the next HC, I want someone with a young and promising future like when the Steelers grabbed Tomlin but kept **** Lebeau. Maybe we could do something like that and keep Gilbride as our OC.

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 03:34 AM
I went with the ol Sehorn. One of my favorite players to watch growing up.

On the subject of the next HC, I want someone with a young and promising future like when the Steelers grabbed Tomlin but kept **** Lebeau. Maybe we could do something like that and keep Gilbride as our OC.Man I loved Sehorn. I was thinking about those old Giants the other day. Sehorn was superb in 97, almost Deion Sanders good with his nose for the ball. Fassel and a combination of the married life(lol) ruined that man's promising career... he showed flashes of his old self here and there but never to that level before the injury.

Now to answer Harooni's question, I think Coughlin retires or goes on to coach another team if he wins another Superbowl this year. I'm not sure if Eli can do it without him. Like other posters said, it depends on who they bring in. Cowher is an overrated coach who won the fakest, fairytale, drive off in the sunset Superbowl ever played so I say no to him. Gruden won a Superbowl with a team that somebody else built so I say no to him. I think Dungy's a great coach but a lot of posters might not agree. I'm NOT saying this because he's black, I just think he fits our style of football... not too flashy and a great defensive mind, plus he worked with Peyton.

TrueBlue10
10-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Can Tom Coughlin (as head coach) win a SB without Eli Manning? Can Michael Strahan? Amani Toomer? Osi? Tuck? Jeff Feagles? ..... Tiki? =P

Ultimately, the answer to all of these questions, including the one posed at the start of this thread are irrelevant. Eli won with Tom and until we know of a new scenario, speculating is impossible.

Flip Empty
10-17-2012, 04:29 AM
It'd be interesting to see how Eli would fare under a different offense.

Captain Chaos
10-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Sure anything is possible....

ashleymarie
10-17-2012, 06:19 AM
This team has been built around the francise qb, Eli. I believe in Eli. He could win another SB without Coughlin but all the stars would have to line up perfectly. Don't know if that could happen in Eli's productive years. But if anyone could do it, it's Eli.

Joe Morrison
10-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Eli has been a winner all his life, unless he had Bill Cowher or Norv Turner coaching him he could probably still win a SB! For all you people who kept wanting The Jaw, Eli would be 51 years old by the time he won another one!

nycsportzfan
10-17-2012, 08:10 AM
I believe he can. Yes, i believe so.. I love coughlin, but i also think there are good wiley smart veteran head coaches out there that could if the time comes(coughlin retires or something), that could step in and continue the success. For instance, if Coughlin retired after last super bowl, i think Fisher could of come in and continued the success that Coughlin had started..

nhpgiantsfan
10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Man I loved Sehorn. I was thinking about those old Giants the other day. Sehorn was superb in 97, almost Deion Sanders good with his nose for the ball. Fassel and a combination of the married life(lol) ruined that man's promising career... he showed flashes of his old self here and there but never to that level before the injury.

Now to answer Harooni's question, I think Coughlin retires or goes on to coach another team if he wins another Superbowl this year. I'm not sure if Eli can do it without him. Like other posters said, it depends on who they bring in. Cowher is an overrated coach who won the fakest, fairytale, drive off in the sunset Superbowl ever played so I say no to him. Gruden won a Superbowl with a team that somebody else built so I say no to him. I think Dungy's a great coach but a lot of posters might not agree. I'm NOT saying this because he's black, I just think he fits our style of football... not too flashy and a great defensive mind, plus he worked with Peyton.

He may possibly retire if he won another SB this year. But he would never leave to coach another team. Why would he leave a SB caliber team with one of the best QB's in the leage in his late 60's. This is his last gig, but I don't think he will stick around as long as Eli, unfortunately. I do think that the team needs to continue the partnership of Gillbride and Eli for the remainder of Eli's career. Hopefully, if/when TC retires, they can bring in a defensive minded HC that will agree to keep KG as offensive coordinator.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
this reminds me of the old hating Eli days

which were worse than the 1 million Ron Dayne thread days

but better than the fire Coughlin days

if you wanna predict the future ... read this board and predict the exact opposite

Dwinsballgames
10-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Yes he can. Will he ????????

CDN_G-FAN
10-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Another question:

Can Coughlin win one without Eli?

Not dissing coughlin at all, but i doubt it.

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Another question:

Can Coughlin win one without Eli?

Not dissing coughlin at all, but i doubt it.

If he had Brady, Brees, Ryan, Mannings brother....Definitely.

He went to a pair of AFC Championships with MARK BRUNELL and BYRON LEFTWICH.
Its no wonder Coughlin has won 2 SB's now that he actually has a real QB in Eli Manning.

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Also, if Gilbride becomes HC our offense is going to go through a transition phase for up to a year. We will have a new O.C who will probably be told by Gilbride what system to implement, but it will still undoubtedly be different.

CDN_G-FAN
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Also, if Gilbride becomes HC our offense is going to go through a transition phase for up to a year. We will have a new O.C who will probably be told by Gilbride what system to implement, but it will still undoubtedly be different.

I doubt the system would be that different. the play mix is coughlin, but this offensive system is GIlbrides, make no mistake.

People underestimate the positive impact of eli being with the same offensive system, and i don't think that would change under Gilbride.

Play mix might, but the intense option system won't.

BTW, good point on Coughlin's Jags teams. i wasn't taking anything away from coughlin at all, i just wanted to point out that in today's NFL, you really don't have a chance without an absolute top QB. This isn't like the early 2000s where teams could win with game managers. that era is gone.

if you don't have a big time hard core QB, i don't know how you win a championship in this version of the NFL.

dezzzR
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Huge TC fan. He has had a huge role with developing Eli. But I think Gillbride is more of a factor when it comes to Eli and winning

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
I have a feeling that, barring any medical circumstances, TC and Eli will ride off into the sunset together. What happens after that is a big question mark...

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 11:04 AM

What if Sean Ryan became the offensive coordinator? He's been part of Gilbride's staff for a few years...would likely keep the same system...

fansince69
10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Maybe as better question would be....Can or would Coughlin ever win a Superbowl without Eli?

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I doubt the system would be that different. the play mix is coughlin, but this offensive system is GIlbrides, make no mistake.

People underestimate the positive impact of eli being with the same offensive system, and i don't think that would change under Gilbride.

Play mix might, but the intense option system won't.

BTW, good point on Coughlin's Jags teams. i wasn't taking anything away from coughlin at all, i just wanted to point out that in today's NFL, you really don't have a chance without an absolute top QB. This isn't like the early 2000s where teams could win with game managers. that era is gone.

if you don't have a big time hard core QB, i don't know how you win a championship in this version of the NFL.

Yeah, I didnt really give it any thought until you said that, but taking an expansion team to the playoffs 4 out of the teams first 5 years is amazing!!

Add the fact that 2 of those were the AFC Championship and the QB was Mark Brunell!!! Coughlin could easily have 4 or 5 SB rings if he had a top flight QB with him in Jacksonville. Coughlin really is an amazing coach and all this chatter of his replacement on the boards today bums me out.

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 11:13 AM
I know that the Jags admit the biggest mistake in the history of their organization was firing TC...

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Maybe as better question would be....Can or would Coughlin ever win a Superbowl without Eli?

You're answer id most definitely YES. He came close to two SB's with Mark Brunell. Insert any "Elite" QB for those 4 playoff runs TC made in Jacksonville and he wouls probably have 1 or 2 more rings than he already has.

fansince69
10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
You're answer id most definitely YES. He came close to two SB's with Mark Brunell. Insert any "Elite" QB for those 4 playoff runs TC made in Jacksonville and he wouls probably have 1 or 2 more rings than he already has.

I think that was kind of the point....Coughlin needs a QB like Eli or as you say an elite qb.....

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
I know that the Jags admit the biggest mistake in the history of their organization was firing TC...

If they don't, they definitely should. Coughlin is a warrior.

I think that was kind of the point....Coughlin needs a QB like Eli or as you say an elite qb.....

Yes, but he doesn't need Eli specifically. Just a top tier QB...doesnt really matter who.

fansince69
10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
If they don't, they definitely should. Coughlin is a warrior.

Yes, but he doesn't need Eli specifically. Just a top tier QB...doesnt really matter who.

honestly i think we are saying the same thing
at the time brunnel was a pretty good qb....maybe not elite but he was in the top half of the league back then.....

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 12:20 PM
He may possibly retire if he won another SB this year. But he would never leave to coach another team. Why would he leave a SB caliber team with one of the best QB's in the leage in his late 60's. This is his last gig, but I don't think he will stick around as long as Eli, unfortunately. I do think that the team needs to continue the partnership of Gillbride and Eli for the remainder of Eli's career. Hopefully, if/when TC retires, they can bring in a defensive minded HC that will agree to keep KG as offensive coordinator.Some people like new challenges, plenty of good coaches in ALL sports leave good teams to try to help build up a poor one. They may retire for a year or so but it happens. You're right though, Coughlin is up there in age and it might not be possible for him. I mainly said that because he definitely seems like the type of man who's gonna have to be forced away from the game.

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Brunnel was a good QB back then, you just had your Broncos, Ravens & Titans of the world that were dominant in the AFC. There were a lot of great NBA players in the league in the 90's but there was only one Michael Jordan. In other words, I don't care how good you are, if it's not your time, it's not your time and you're not gonna stop greatness... ask Bill Belichick.