PDA

View Full Version : If Coughlin retired after this season, who would you want next?

TheAnalyst
10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
If Coughlin retired after this season after winning another superbowl and going out on top of the world in 2012, who would you want to be the next coach in 2013 for our New York Football Giants and why?

Kevin Gilbride?

Perry Fewell?

Bill Cowher?

Spags?

Someone else?

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 10:07 AM
None of the above.

I'd like to see us give a young guy an opportunity, although I do not know who that might be in 2013.

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I would want someone who is a no-nonsense guy like TC is. Honestly I really like that mentality of just going out there and doing your job in a football team... It's a sharp break from Fassel.

That said, I don't think Gilbride can make a good HC, but that's just my opinion. I'd rather take PF as a head coach at this point...

bigblue2088
10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
lets get a return from Bill Parcells. jk I would want someone young but experienced

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Gilbride seems the obvious choice........I kind of like the guy.......he is a skinnier Andy Reid

Also Andy Reid works for me, Bill Cowher, Spagnuola, and my personal Favorite- John Gruden

I do not want some untested, unproven rookie HC..........I believe I could coach the Giants to a Lombardi with all the talent Reeses provides however.

Reese is the real key to all this success....He is the guy we cannot lose

Perry Fewell.......??????????? You have to be kidding. He is barely hanging on as a DC. If he were DC on the Jets they would not win a game

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:13 AM
No Bill Cowher and No Gruden ....jeez those guys have been popular over the years as the next one

I'm confident our FO will interview and find the right man. Preferably a No-BS coach like coughlin would be ideal, but hey you never know.

I'm with the movement of getting a young coach in here. Lets try and shake it up and see what we can get from a guy under 40 yrs old.

But to be honest, Coughlin is the man, I love him, and I think he is coaching here for at least another year if not 2 or 3. So don't get too excited..

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Gilbride seems the obvious choice........I kind of like the guy.......he is a skinnier Andy Reid

Also Andy Reid works for me, Bill Cowher, Spagnuola, and my personal Favorite- John Gruden

I do not want some untested, unproven rookie HC..........I believe I could coach the Giants to a Lombardi with all the talent Reeses provides however.

Andy Reid?!?! John Gruden?!?! unbelievable

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I can see Spags, Gilbride.. And trust me there are guys at position coaches all throughout the league we do not know of who are waiting to get their shot.

Its obvious to name the big names, but I think the Giants may surprise us.

ELIte4MVP
10-17-2012, 10:17 AM
juan castillo

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Do you think we could talk Ray Handley out of retirement?

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Those guys would be much better choices than Spags. No way the Giants hire a HC who won only 10 games in 3 years during his only HC job.

nhpgiantsfan
10-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think TC would leave, even with another ring. That said, I would want someone that would be willing to keep KG with Eli. I think that should be a stipulation with whoever the next coach is. Keep the franchise QB in his comfort zone.

Signature NYG
10-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Gruden is good at taking already stacked teams to the promise land as well as developing teams like the raiders. I would say gruden. He seems to like Eli a lot even before the run last year. Also he is a defensively minded coach who also knows the the Qb position. He also doesn't take too much bs and is relatively young compared to others.Gruden is my choice but I don't expect us to go this route.Probably gilbride. I mean he has been in the league for years and has never had the chance to be a head coach. He posses me off as a oc sometimes but he still knows this team better than anybody but coughlin and reese

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:24 AM

I think Andy is the winningest HC over he last decade and owns the NY Giants alread anyway......they might as well give him the deed.

John Gruden won a Super Bowl with a team Tony Dungy left in taters........enough proof for me. I cannot stand Dungy, smug Giants hater.

Signature NYG
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I don't think TC would leave, even with another ring. That said, I would want someone that would be willing to keep KG with Eli. I think that should be a stipulation with whoever the next coach is. Keep the franchise QB in his comfort zone.ThisHC GrudenOC GilbrideDC Fewell

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Gruden is good at taking already stacked teams to the promise land as well as developing teams like the raiders. I would say gruden. He seems to like Eli a lot even before the run last year. Also he is a defensively minded coach who also knows the the Qb position. He also doesn't take too much bs and is relatively young compared to others.Gruden is my choice but I don't expect us to go this route.Probably gilbride. I mean he has been in the league for years and has never had the chance to be a head coach. He posses me off as a oc sometimes but he still knows this team better than anybody but coughlin and reese

Love the way Gilbride came out and got in Harbaughs head last week, it shocked me, I do not know about you......have to believe that was a tell that Gilbride is the HC in waiting

Rudyy
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Strahan. Loljk.

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Those guys would be much better choices than Spags. No way the Giants hire a HC who won only 10 games in 3 years during his only HC job.

How many more would Tom have won with that talent?

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:28 AM

I was never advocating for Spagnuolo. In fact, I was thinking more along the lines of Kevin Gilbride, Fewell?? Lol i have no idea

I wouldnt be surprised if we hired someone like Bill Davis. Davis was the New York Giants linebackers coach in 2004. According to defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, he commanded the room whenever speaking to players and compiled blitz packages, a job usually done by the defensive coordinator..... I believe Bill will eventually be HC material.

or some great upside, unbeknownst to us position/OC/DC coach out there. Its not going to be an Obvious hire, believe me. No Grudens, Cowhers, Reids, Spafnulo's etc.

JimC
10-17-2012, 10:33 AM
When it happens it will likely be someone from the Giants family. I hope its something we don't have to worry about for quite a while.

njg85m
10-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Belichick.

The world has a tendency to turn full circle.

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 10:38 AM
How many more would Tom have won with that talent?
Probably about as many as Jeff Fisher will win with that talent . . . .

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I was never advocating for Spagnuolo. In fact, I was thinking more along the lines of Kevin Gilbride, Fewell?? Lol i have no idea

I wouldnt be surprised if we hired someone like Bill Davis. Davis was the New York Giants linebackers coach in 2004. According to defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, he commanded the room whenever speaking to players and compiled blitz packages, a job usually done by the defensive coordinator..... I believe Bill will eventually be HC material.

or some great upside, unbeknownst to us position/OC/DC coach out there. Its not going to be an Obvious hire, believe me. No Grudens, Cowhers, Reids, Spafnulo's etc.

I agree

CDN_G-FAN
Gilbride: the importance of having the same offense for almost 9 years on this team cannot be understated. That would be the reason he would be considered

Fewell: Meh. this is Giants, winners of 2 SBs in the last 5 years, no projects at HC please

Cowher: Maybe.

Spags: see comments for Fewell.

sideline sneek
If Coughlin retired after this season after winning another superbowl and going out on top of the world in 2012, who would you want to be the next coach in 2013 for our New York Football Giants and why?

Kevin Gilbride?

Perry Fewell?

Bill Cowher?

Spags?

Someone else?I would be happy with KG. He has molded Eli and has done a good job for the Giants. His short tenure as head coach with the Chargers was jeapordized by two people: Bobby B. and "Cryin" Ryan Leaf. Phil Rivers kinda reminds me of Leaf. Oh, well, I believe Gilbride will be getting a head coaching job at the end of this season. I also believe it was {ironically} because we were heading to the Super Bowl that he didn't become a HC last year.

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
I think Andy is the winningest HC over he last decade and owns the NY Giants alread anyway......they might as well give him the deed.

John Gruden won a Super Bowl with a team Tony Dungy left in taters........enough proof for me. I cannot stand Dungy, smug Giants hater.

LOL . . . a team that Dungy left in tatters? You mean the team that had had three winning seasons in a row???

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry, I just can't see KG getting the nod. He has great discipline, but pretty much no fire to him whatsoever. TC has both, and while the discipline alone can work as a coordinator, you need both to be a good HC.

GameTime
10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Gruden....no way.
Cowher.....maybe. I wouldnt be upset
Gilbride.....I would be tentative but he obviusly knows the sytem and the org
Spagnulo.....ehh....IDK about that one....

Maybe Holmgren.....seems to be a hard nose type of coach....

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Knowing the organization, Gilbride would likely get the offer...I would support that as it would represent continuity in the team's systems, operations etc. But Gilbride is also 61 years old...unsure if the Giants would commit to a new HC who might be 3-4 years away from retirement. On the other hand, if Gilbride isn't the option, I'm not sure if Fewell has the track-record yet with the organization to put the whole team in his hands yet.

If they go outside of the organization, maybe **** Jauron? I don't know anything about him other than Coughlin likes him...

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Tiki Barber- He is knowledgable and not afraid to speak his mind

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Guys check this out. This was written LAST YEAR. Now with a superbowl under his belt, I can only imagine how much more praise he would have gotten from the author.

5 Candidates for NFL Head Coaching jobs in 2012
OCTOBER 07, 2011, 04:00 PM EST

3.) Perry Fewell – New York Giants

Fewell will be one of the “hot” names for a head coaching position after this season. He has already had numerous head coaching interviews and like Ron Rivera the last few years, has been the bridesmaid too many times. Fewell has been a coordinator in Buffalo and New York and done an excellent job at both stops. He is highly respected by his players, fellow coaches and front office people. As a coordinator he runs an aggressive scheme which I like, and has done a great job adjusting to overcome injuries to key players. While in Buffalo he was named “interim” head coach for the last few games of the 2009 season and the Bills played their best football of that season under his leadership. There is not a doubt in my mind that Fewell will be an excellent head coach in the league.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Five-candidates-for-NFL-head-coaching-jobs-in-2012.html

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Cowher might come in and mess with success

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Guys check this out. This was written LAST YEAR. With another suberbowl under his belt, I can only imagine how much more praise he would have gotten from the author.

3.) Perry Fewell – New York Giants

Fewell will be one of the “hot” names for a head coaching position after this season. He has already had numerous head coaching interviews and like Ron Rivera the last few years, has been the bridesmaid too many times. Fewell has been a coordinator in Buffalo and New York and done an excellent job at both stops. He is highly respected by his players, fellow coaches and front office people. As a coordinator he runs an aggressive scheme which I like, and has done a great job adjusting to overcome injuries to key players. While in Buffalo he was named “interim” head coach for the last few games of the 2009 season and the Bills played their best football of that season under his leadership. There is not a doubt in my mind that Fewell will be an excellent head coach in the league.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Five-candidates-for-NFL-head-coaching-jobs-in-2012.html I think Perry would be a good choice to replace Andy or Jason Garrett.......I totally support him there

Toadofsteel
If we were talking outside the organization, I was thinking would it be theoretically possible to lure away John Harbaugh from Baltimore?

sideline sneek
I'm sorry, I just can't see KG getting the nod. He has great discipline, but pretty much no fire to him whatsoever. TC has both, and while the discipline alone can work as a coordinator, you need both to be a good HC.No Fire?????? He once made his wife, 2 daughters, his son and me run sprints for 6 hours because we thought the pork roast was a little undercooked!!!!

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:54 AM
After reading that article, Im warming up to the idea of an in-house hire. PF or KG.

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I still haven't ever seen him get all that fired up on the sidelines. He works well as our OC because his personality is practically identical to Eli's...

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I think Perry would be a good choice to replace Andy or Jason Garrett.......I totally support him there

I guess thats a good joke? Ha...Ha.

RoanokeFan
10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
It would likely by someone from within to include a former "within." John Mara puts a lot of stock on continuity and I believe he'd like TC to be here as long as Eli is. I really have no idea who might have the upper hand in the selection process but, to date, Gilbride has had only one losing season here. Should Spagnuolo make some progress in his development he might also be a fit.

BParcells777
well you want him HC of Giants.......why not them?

He's a hot commodity......

CowboysSuck
I still haven't ever seen him get all that fired up on the sidelines. He works well as our OC because his personality is practically identical to Eli's...

Fewell gets fired up

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:04 AM
well you want him HC of Giants.......why not them?

He's a hot commodity......

Thats like saying I hope TC retires next year and then makes a comeback with the Eagles. Stupid. Just like your comment.

Me- "I think Perry Fewell would be a good replacement"
-Bpcells777 " I think it would be great if he would go coach in Dallas or Philly"

Thats just a mindless statement and is a stab at Fewell. You must think hes a bad DC huh?

You have to pick your spots when and when not to be a wise ***. Its usually supposed to be funny

Giants5699
10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Reid and Gruden would be my top choices.
If Reid got fired from filthy, he would come here hungry to beat them.

Also would consider Josh McDaniels.

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Fewell gets fired up

I was talking about killdrive...

ryan12
10-17-2012, 11:11 AM
brian kelly from notre dame

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Reid and Gruden would be my top choices.
If Reid got fired from filthy, he would come here hungry to beat them.

Also would consider Josh McDaniels.

I would NOT want Reid here. He's just not that disciplined to be honest. That said, if he was here after being fired from philly, he'd still go all-out against them.

How about promoting PF and getting Rex as our DC after he eventually get kicked by the Jets?

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't want Andy Reid simply by the fact that he was the Eagles head coach for so long. Hate them, and by association, hate him....

GiantGremlin
10-17-2012, 11:18 AM
They should bring in Coach Hayden Fox, he' d be a good fit with his personality

Toadofsteel
10-17-2012, 11:19 AM
It's too bad that the Saints nosedived... had they stayed relevant without Sean Payton, we could have lured him back.

Rudyy
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Jason Garrett..anyone?

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Fassel?

SweetZombieJesus
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
None of the above.

I'd like to see us give a young guy an opportunity, although I do not know who that might be in 2013.

Is there an appropriate young guy already on Coughlin's staff, that's the question.

BuffyBlueII
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Although it wouldn’t happen, I would want Bill Bellichek as HC when Tom Coughlin retires.

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Jason Garrett..anyone?

LOL no thanks.

I think we will be surprised by the next HC. It will either be PF, KG, or an unknown OC/DC/ position coach somewhere in the league. The Giants have a pretty good success fincing good HC's the past few decades.

Parcells won us 2 SB's.
Fassel kept us competitive for the most part and brought us to a SB.
Coughlin won us 2 SB's.
The next HC will likely follow a similar trend, I assume.

giantsforce
10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Peyton Manning if is not playing when Coughlin retires.

SweetZombieJesus
10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
As for Spags and his bad record in St. Louis, I'll just remind people Bill Belichick flopped in Cleveland and now he's considered the best coach of this generation.

I went out on a limb before for Pepper Johnson -- who has been under Belichick's wing in New England all that time, and I'd still go out on that limb if there's not some promising young genius on TC's staff already.

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I was joking about Fassel. Couldn't stand him as HC. I don't agree that he "kept us competitive", as he never had consecutive winning seasons...I always felt like his "successful" seasons were the results of playing losing schedules, and his losing seasons were the result of playing winning schedules. He was the definition of mediocrity, and making it to the SB in 2000 was the result of a perfect storm of circumstances and opponents (yes, I know I will probably get blasted for that last comment, but I do believe it).

TheAnalyst
10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
As for Spags and his bad record in St. Louis, I'll just remind people Bill Belichick flopped in Cleveland and now he's considered the best coach of this generation.

I went out on a limb before for Pepper Johnson -- who has been under Belichick's wing in New England all that time, and I'd still go out on that limb if there's not some promising young genius on TC's staff already.

I was thinking Pepper as well. I think he would be a solid option. Lure in Strahan as a Dline coach. He helped them put a burst in their step this last game, thats for sure.

Diamondring
10-17-2012, 11:38 AM
KG.

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I was joking about Fassel. Couldn't stand him as HC. I don't agree that he "kept us competitive", as he never had consecutive winning seasons...I always felt like his "successful" seasons were the results of playing losing schedules, and his losing seasons were the result of playing winning schedules. He was the definition of mediocrity, and making it to the SB in 2000 was the result of a perfect storm of circumstances and opponents (yes, I know I will probably get blasted for that last comment, but I do believe it).

Im a firm believer in "You are what your record says you are". And under Fassell we made it to the SB. Something Andy Reid (who everyone on here seems to like) has only done once himself. Fassell wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible. '03 season 4-12 was as bad as it got....which is pretty bad LOL ( in Fassels defense that roster was god awful, minus Tiki,Toomer, Strahan, Armstead) AWFUL

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyone wanting Fewell as HC should also be rooting to bring back Johnny Lynn as DC

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Fassell would do fine with Gilbride as OC, and bring back Spags as DC

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Im a firm believer in "You are what your record says you are". And under Fassell we made it to the SB. Something Andy Reid (who everyone on here seems to like) has only done once himself. Fassell wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible. '03 season 4-12 was as bad as it got....which is pretty bad LOL ( in Fassels defense that roster was god awful, minus Tiki,Toomer, Strahan, Armstead) AWFUL

I hear what you're saying regarding your record is what you are...and yes, I agree he wasn't great and he wasn't terrible. That's exactly what I said...he was the definition of "mediocre"...and I couldn't stand that...

CowboysSuck
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I hear what you're saying regarding your record is what you are...and yes, I agree he wasn't great and he wasn't terrible. That's exactly what I said...he was the definition of "mediocre"...and I couldn't stand that...

Yeah i guess you're right. I just have a soft spot for the guy because aside from the end of Reeves career here, he was the first Giants HC i grew up watching religiously

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 11:50 AM

Fassel was supposed to be some kind of "offensive guru", but asides from the 2000 Giants, none of his offenses have ever been ranked higher than 15th in the league. His biggest claim-to-fame was helping Elway and Simms with their throwing mechanics...not exactly something to base the title of "offensive guru" on. He grew up as a coach under the Bill Walsh system, and he did help Kerry Collins. But there was so much other stuff missing...he never prioritized the OLine (the one year they made it to the SB was the one year they went out and got some FA Olinemen that could help). He told Tiki to "just keep running" despite the fumbles and did nothing to fix that problem. He was all about flash with Shockey and not about fundamentals. Etc etc...

TheAnalyst
10-17-2012, 11:50 AM

If "you are what your record says you are" then we were an average team last year... And Coughlin is a slightly above average coach... which I dont believe. Last year we were a great team, killed by injuries, and got somewhat healthy at the right time.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 11:59 AM
let's not ship TC off just yet, but you did say after winning another Super Bowl, so i wont moan about this

ha, here's a good one, Andy Reid ... not that i think he is a great coach, but how would Philly feel watching us carry big Andy around with the Vince Lombardi trophy in his hand

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
If "you are what your record says you are" then we were an average team last year... And Coughlin is a slightly above average coach... which I dont believe. Last year we were a great team, killed by injuries, and got somewhat healthy at the right time.

What I see with Coughlin and the Giants that I don't see with Fassel is 4 consecutive years of making the playoffs, no losing seasons, 2 Super Bowl wins, and longevity as a coach...

TheAnalyst
10-17-2012, 12:07 PM
What I see with Coughlin and the Giants that I don't see with Fassel is 4 consecutive years of making the playoffs, no losing seasons, 2 Super Bowl wins, and longevity as a coach...

Oh , I completely agree. Hard to rid a HC who hasnt had a losing season since his first year with a rookie QB.

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 12:13 PM

There is no way that you believe even half of the things that you post on this MB . . . .

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 12:14 PM
After reading this thread, I'm sure glad 99% of you will never come close to making those kinds of decisions for the Giants. Andy Reid LOL!

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
After reading this thread, I'm sure glad 99% of you will never come close to making those kinds of decisions for the Giants. Andy Reid LOL!

Am happy to be in the 1%... :-)

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Who wanted Tom Coughlin on this board before they hired him? Nobody, stop lying.

yoeddy
10-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Who wanted Tom Coughlin on this board before they hired him? Nobody, stop lying.

As I said in another thread, I actually wanted him the day the Jags fired him. Not lying...but my proof got erased when AOL dropped their message boards.

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
That's exactly who I and a lot of people on this board wanted.

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
As I said in another thread, I actually wanted him the day the Jags fired him. Not lying...but my proof got erased when AOL dropped their message boards.Tom Coughlin wasn't even on my radar. In fact, I forgot he existed. That was a coach that Fassel could actually beat back then.

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
That's exactly who I and a lot of people on this board wanted.I wasn't on the boards back then so I can't recall but if so, good thinking.

SweetZombieJesus
10-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Tom Coughlin wasn't even on my radar. In fact, I forgot he existed. That was a coach that Fassel could actually beat back then.

Wellington wanted him in 1992 but he wasn't ready to give up on BC yet. If Wellington wanted him that much I was happy they got him the 2nd time around.

TheEnigma
10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Something about Gilbride becoming the HC doesn't sit well with me. Hard to explain really but I could see him "outsmarting" himself at various moments when he should of just went with the conservative approach to finish a game. I really like what the Steelers did by bringing in a young and promising coach who could get the players motivated and make sound decisions during the game. We could probably keep Gilbride at OC like the Steelers have kept LeBeau at DC for so many years.

JPPforMVP
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Gruden!!!

ny06
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Gruden!!!
He will be the next Eagles Head Coach.

ryan12
10-17-2012, 01:12 PM
brian billick

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Wellington wanted him in 1992 but he wasn't ready to give up on BC yet. If Wellington wanted him that much I was happy they got him the 2nd time around.Yeah I heard, I wasn't too much into the politics of football back in 92. I was a freshman in HS.

BuffyBlueII
10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Something about Gilbride becoming the HC doesn't sit well with me. Hard to explain really but I could see him "outsmarting" himself at various moments when he should of just went with the conservative approach to finish a game. I really like what the Steelers did by bringing in a young and promising coach who could get the players motivated and make sound decisions during the game. We could probably keep Gilbride at OC like the Steelers have kept LeBeau at DC for so many years. I think Gillbride is a good OC but wouldn't want him as HC because he would outsmart himself.The thing with Gillbride is that if he is still here after Eli retires then he is going to need an extremely talented and smart QB in order to run his complex and that will be a problem because QBs as talented and as smart as Eli are veryvery rare.

BornBrooklyn
10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Special Teams coach? I was thinking if they did hire the DC or OC, the other would leave. Dungy wouldn't be bad, we'd still maintain a calm resolve...

GameTime
10-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Holmgren....
he will or may be available too....

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I wasn't on the boards back then so I can't recall but if so, good thinking.

It was just that after a "player's coach" like Fassell, everyone was looking for a taskmaster type of guy to come in here and instill some discipline . . . . the only guy out there with some past HC success who fit that bill was TC . . . .

Rudyy
10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Gruden seems to like our team a lot. He's always giving us praise.

RoanokeFan
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM

He has said he would love to coach either Manning

GameTime
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Listen to Gruden....he likes just about everybody!!
Every player he digs has the best work ethic the best habits the best this or that. IMO his coaching days are well behind him....
Since he has been in TV there have multiple coaching vacancies. He is on no teams radar or doesnt want to be.

TroyArcher
10-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Perry Fewell.......??????????? You have to be kidding. He is barely hanging on as a DC. If he were DC on the Jets they would not win a game

Andy Reid? Are you kidding. The guy has been coaching for I believe 15 years and hasn't won anything. Give me a break.

ryan12
10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Listen to Gruden....he likes just about everybody!!
Every player he digs has the best work ethic the best habits the best this or that. IMO his coaching days are well behind him....
Since he has been in TV there have multiple coaching vacancies. He is on no teams radar or doesnt want to be.

he is is always slurping someone. "this russell wilson is a great qb" i would be pissed if we hired him after tc and i agree his coaching days are behind him hopefully his tv days are behind him cuz he is brutal on mnf

jakegibbs
10-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Kevin Gilbride?

Perry Fewell?

Bill Cowher?

Spags?

Someone else?

The TUNA? Heck I haven't really thought about it & if TC health stays healthy I expect he'll ride the wave until his HOF QB retires.

JPPforMVP
10-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Gruden said he is open to coaching he is just waiting for the right opportunity to come along. Assuming he sees how big of a mess the eagles are I think it's pretty clear the next great job to open up will be the Giants. Barring something crazy happening, out of all the great teams in the NFL the Giants have to be the next to lose their head coach (due to retirement). Imagine being able to inherit Eli, Cruz, Nicks, JPP, etc. as incoming coach? Can't be much more attractive than that...

PRGiant
10-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Not sure who I want but definately not a rookie while we have Eli, we have a chance to win.

BlueBlooded1979
10-17-2012, 05:17 PM
A few criteria I would look for.

Has been a successful NFL head coach before.

Why? Just look at the track records for guys the second time around. We don't need a guy who is learning on the job with a HOF QB and team that can win now.

Will leave the current coordinators in place.

Why? They are good and the talent in place is built to run these systems. Eli and KG seem to work well.

Not a play caller.

Why? Head coaches are head coaches that need to see the game from a different viewpoint, execute the gameplan and help his coordinators make adjustments.

No GM Hybrids

Why? We have a solid GM in Reese and most of the Napoleon types destroy rosters on their way to mediocrity. Bellicheck is the exception to the rule in this case but some of his recent roster moves have been questionable at best.

So who fits this profile ?

Bill Cowher
Mike Sherman ( 56-39 with GB 2000-2005)
Jack Del Rio
John Gruden
Mike Tice

If you look without all of the hype surrond guy like Cowher or Gruden, a lesser name like Sherman or JDR might make the most sense. JDR reminds me of Coughlin. The only downside is that everyone in Jacksonville will spontaneously combust if we win with JDR. I also don't like that Cowher has been out of football for 6 seasons.

I could also see the Giants take the "Don't rock the boat" approach and give a coach on staff a shot. KG would keep continuity with Eli and this league is all about the QB now.

NYGabriel
10-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Eric Mangini.

Drez
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Maybe Holmgren.....seems to be a hard nose type of coach....
I think the game has passed Holmgren by. Plus he likes having a large degree of FO control. Not too sure how he'd work with JR.

I don't think KG would make a good HC. Much like a LeBeau, he's a great coordinator, but don't think he's really HC material.

I don't want Gruden anywhere near this team. He makes an entertaining announcer (in that loud, obnoxious drunkard kind of way), but I was never a fan of his as a coach.

I wouldn't want Reid near here, either. Despite all his regular season accolades I don't think he's a championship caliber coach.

I wouldn't be upset if we hired Cowher, but I think people overrate him a little. However, he does have a history with KG (KG was OC in Pittsburgh for a season or two under Cowher), so he has that going for him... He likely wouldn't change the offensive system much.

​I'd give my nod to Charlie Weis. He's a god.

Manning
10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
i don't think either of our coordinators are HC material.. i'd rather promote internally.... but not sure about styles and attitudes.

ozzie0075
10-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I 100% believe Fewell was brought into be TC's successor provided Fewell doesn't already have a HC job when TC retires.

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 07:17 PM

I did, I nearly got myself baned I was so adamant about..........ask Tommy Ribs

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
you know i've defended Fewell vs. all the Spags is a GOD Fewell is a FOOL nonsense

and i've been a top 3 defender of KG vs. Killdrive nation

but my defense has been about the fact that they get way too much blame when things dont go perfect

and i dont want either as head coach, altho if our organization wants either, naturally with the track record we have making good decisions, i would be totally on board

but i hate even commenting on the NEXT head coach ... it's almost as disrespectful as commenting on the NEXT QB

it's the same as when we were 7-7 going fire Coughlin ... just with the subtle change in wording

Captain Chaos
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
The Crimson chin!

BROADWAYSTORM
10-17-2012, 08:24 PM
JESSIE ARMSTEAD.

nycisgreat
10-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Kevin Gilbride?

Perry Fewell?

Bill Cowher?

Spags?

Someone else?

I know people will probably Kill me for this, but I would have KG. I used to be a real KG hater, but he would be a good option because he knows the entire system and it works.

nycisgreat
10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Also, I don't see Coughlin retiring for another 4 or 5 years.

JPP=BEASTMODE
10-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Do you think we could talk Ray Handley out of retirement?**** no!!!!!!!!!

JPP=BEASTMODE
10-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Ray Lewis!!! After he retires of course.

Tmurda1984
10-17-2012, 09:11 PM
People still want Sprags?!? Sprags hasnt been anything since he lost Strahan and Pierce. He was ran out of St. Louis as a coach and should be ran off as the Saints Def. Coordinator. Jeff Fisher is doing a better job with the Rams, and doesnt even have a healthy Steven Jackson.

nygfan90
10-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Strahan!!

BParcells777
10-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Mitt Romney

Razoo
10-17-2012, 09:58 PM
How about Dennis Green, poor guy goes on just about every interview and never gets hired.
I think Mitt might be busy the next 4-8 years.

poppa smurph
10-17-2012, 10:17 PM
brian billickAm suprised no one commented on this name.

poppa smurph
10-17-2012, 10:19 PM
The Crimson chin!If I'm on the same page as you, I'm taking The Tick...friggin guy's blue already, and has a great battle cry!

PETEY006
10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Rob Ryan. Then we'll have both Ryans in NY. It'll be awesome !!!!

JJC7301
10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
It would definitely be internal; either Gilbride or Fewell. My guess is Fewell.

From outside the organization? Everyone is going to laugh their balls off at me, but I would not have a problem with Wade Phillips.

Tommy_Ribs
10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Ken Wiesnhunt #1

Jay Gruden #2

David Shaw #3

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 11:23 PM
How about Dennis Green, poor guy goes on just about every interview and never gets hired.
I think Mitt might be busy the next 4-8 years.Now why would you want Dennis Green? What has he ever won? As far as Mitt is concerned... no comment but you can join me on facebook so I can get a good laugh.

Marvelousmik
10-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Mitt Romney

lmao

GMan-67
10-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Now why would you want Dennis Green? What has he ever won? As far as Mitt is concerned... no comment but you can join me on facebook so I can get a good laugh.

it would be good material

HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE IS !!!!

AND WE LET HIM OFF THE HOOK !!!!

PennState1
10-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Not a single mention of yet another Parcells guy...Foxy? He is doing a great job in Denver.

Rat_bastich
10-18-2012, 03:42 AM
I still think Gruden or Cowher would be good coaches, though I could possibly see a situation like the Bo Sox/Valentine implosion with Gruden. He does love him some Manning though...either Manning.

Cowher has always had some tough defenses that he built with other people's cast offs or finds through the draft and he is a tough guy. You would probably get more longevity out of Gruden than Cowher though.

Brian Billick would even be a good candidate.

I don't see too many of the younger coaches that seem to stand out unless Jim Mora Jr. would come back to the NFL and improved.

BurnerNYG
10-18-2012, 03:47 AM
I don't like Billick, Gruden or Cowher. Ughhh... I don't see what you guys see in em. Bunch of hotheads... I need an even keeled, laid back coach that can handle the pressure of NY. I wish Phil Jackson had a football coach relative.

Rat_bastich
10-18-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't like Billick, Gruden or Cowher. Ughhh... I don't see what you guys see in em. Bunch of hotheads... I need an even keeled, laid back coach that can handle the pressure of NY. I wish Phil Jackson had a football coach relative.

Hahaha you mean like Coughlin? It was only until recent that he dropped from the hothead group, event hough he still shows flashes. Billick and Cowher are pretty even keeled and do pretty well with the players.

Jackson is too busy riding around on his Harley's to do anything at this point and I think he is all out of Zen books to pass out to players.

BurnerNYG
10-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Coughlin at least is professional with his hot headedness lol. Cowher be screaming and spitting everywhere and Gruden might end up getting body slammed by one of the players. After I saw Keyshawn screaming at him on the sidelines I lost a lot of respect for him as a coach. Billick is the coolest one out of the bunch but his offenses were terrible when he was in Baltimore. He went and got Fassel and it was still terrible... fired and threw him under the bus and ruined his chances of coaching in the NFL for who knows how long or ever again. Gruden was handed a great team that would've probably won anyway and got weaker and weaker as the years passed by, Cowher was handed a Superbowl by the refs and Billick had a young Ray Lewis and a good defensive coordinator.

BurnerNYG
10-18-2012, 05:04 AM
it would be good material

HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE IS !!!!

AND WE LET HIM OFF THE HOOK !!!!LOL. Honestly though, I think I would stop rooting for the Giants if they hired Dennis Green. I know that other poster was trying to be funny but I wouldn't think the Giants hiring Green would be funny at all. Choke job coach.

nycsportzfan
10-18-2012, 05:54 AM
I like these kinda threads just becuase there fun to think of guys u would like if the situation presented itself..

There are a bunch of Corrdinator types i'd like..

Bruce Arians OC Colts- Longtime Steeler assistant seems like a perfect fit for our team, and is long over due for a shot. I think he'll be a hot name with how that colts offense looks this yr, compared to last..

Alan Williams DC Vikings- doing wonders in Minny as 1st yr DC.. Also was longtime defensive backs coach for colts.. Has super bowl ring as such..

Mel Tucker DC Jaguars- I liked the job hes done with that defense, and he got a taste of HC'ing as interm with jags last yr...

Jack Del Rio DC Bronc's- Jack Del Rio is a good coach, and managed to stay awhile in Jax despite not much at the QB positon , with guys like Byron Leftwhich being a bust.. Hes a firery guy, and as a player in the not so distant past, i bet he relates to players really well..

Kirk Ferentz HC Iowa- One of my favorite college coaches, has all ready passed up NFL(at least interview with pack i believe).. Has NFL expierence as a assistant coach, and does great things in Ames despite not a huge profile school and in competitive BIG10.. One of the only College coaches i'd consider...

nycsportzfan
10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Eric Mangini.To be honest, hes got great insight when i hear em on First and 10.. I think he just had 2 crappy of teams to make a diffrence.. I actually woulden't mind Mangini myself.. So that makes my list in Order..

1. Bruce Arians OC Colts
2. Jack Del Rio DC Bronc's
3. Eric Mangini former jet and brown HC
4. Mel Tucker DC Jaguars
5. Kirk Ferentz HC Iowa
6. Alan Williams DC Vikings
7. Perry Fewell DC Giants
8. Les Miles HC LSU- Give this defensive guy ELI and our offense, and watch out!
9. Darrell Bevell OC Seahawks- Done good job with no real great wideouts, and either a bad QB or a young QB.. I like where hes taken the offense..
10. Mike Riley HC Oregon St- Outside the box.. A bit of NFL exp, and done well with the beavers, even in USC and STAN league..

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Strahan!!

One step at a time... let's make him our DL coach.

GoDeep80
10-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Jay Gruden
Mike Zimmer
Josh McDaniels
and (hear me out) Raheem Morris.

BlueReign
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Gruden

BParcells777
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Kevin Gillbride is the heir apparent.....He would probably get a 3 yr deal and a 2 year leash.

zimonami
11-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Here is a new wrinkle that is worth discussing here...
Sean Payton could be available.
http://my.yahoo.com/?fr=yfp-t-403
The article speculates his availability for the Cowboys, but if TC retired you would have to add the Gmen to the suitors.
Of course, I don't expect TC will consider stepping down unless he wins another SB... and, even then, perhaps not... I figure 50/50

keyofgmen
11-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Here is a new wrinkle that is worth discussing here...
Sean Payton could be available.
http://my.yahoo.com/?fr=yfp-t-403
The article speculates his availability for the Cowboys, but if TC retired you would have to add the Gmen to the suitors.
Of course, I don't expect TC will consider stepping down unless he wins another SB... and, even then, perhaps not... I figure 50/50

Now that would be interesting Zim!

GMENAGAIN
11-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Jay Gruden
Mike Zimmer
Josh McDaniels
and (hear me out) Raheem Morris.

everyone of those guys, with the exception of Zimmer, would be an absolute disaster.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I want Jon Gruden period.........to have a WC Team and the personality and quotables of a smiling Gruden would make evne a tough loss easier to take thean Coughy's red faced scowl..........And I do not really want the Chin either.....he's just a younger Coughlin with a weird chin.

miked1958
11-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Keep TC

El Jefe
11-04-2012, 03:23 PM
LOL @ Killdrive of Fewell being options. HELL NO to both. They shouldn't make the list.

From established coaches Cowher tops the list, easily. If not him I'd like an up and coming coordinator like Chudzinski