PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Austin?????

shocknaweny
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
He started a game against the Browns and then lost his starting job to Markus Kuhn ( a seventh round pick ) is it just about time to give up on this guy or can he turn it around still....I was so excited when we drafted him and thought he could be the dominant DT we have not had since the days of Keith Hamilton.

GameTime
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
How do you give up on a guy who has only 7 games under his belt as a pro???

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
They're probably just trying to motivate him. He's technically still a rookie.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
did he start that game?, i thought i remember Kuhn out there when Trent ripped off those 1st 2 runs and a TD after our fumble

but either way, he is currently behind Kuhn on the depth chart

but if we have Joseph, Canty and Bernard all healthy we wont need him or Kuhn ... they would just simply be emergency depth

esp. when you consider we use Tuck, JPP and Kiwi at DT in different packages and vs. SF we were using those guys even on non-passing downs and that was party due to neither Kuhn or Austin being able to hold up

now Austin has more upside than Kuhn, but yeah progress has been slow for him ... he's gotta get going

GmenFan1980
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
What is with people and wanting to drop/cut anyone that doesn't instantly play like an all-pro...

GMENAGAIN
10-17-2012, 02:11 PM
To me, it was not a good sign when he showed up for off-season workouts out-of-shape. After two years of not playing, you would think that the guy would have showed up in tip-top shape ready to show everyone what he can do . . . . .

RoanokeFan
10-17-2012, 02:37 PM
If not for Canty and Bernard being injured, I doubt Austin would have seen much, if any, game time snaps. The organization is, by design, patient with all of the draft picks. This is a guy who missed his last year in college and his first year in the NFL. They are going to give him time to develop into the potential they see in him.

Having said that, the snaps he is getting move his development along faster than woulod otherwise be possible.

timmytimm3
10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
To me, it was not a good sign when he showed up for off-season workouts out-of-shape. After two years of not playing, you would think that the guy would have showed up in tip-top shape ready to show everyone what he can do . . . . .

He tore his pec. Out of shape may not mean he was fat, just that his strength had suffered from not being able to lift.

Buddy333
10-17-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm curious to see how people are if Canty takes few games to get back to normal.

RoanokeFan
10-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm curious to see how people are if Canty takes few games to get back to normal.

Isn't that a given?

PRGiant
10-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Isn't that a given?

Not with this crowd lol...

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 04:33 PM

even as i diehard fan, i will admit to labeling him Can'ty b/c he's missed more time with us than he has played with us

but he showed me a lot last season, played hard, played well and played thru injury in the playoffs

he hasnt hit anything in forever though ... there's street shape, which im sure he's in, but then football shape is like 10X street shape

but the fact that he isnt being ruled out for Sunday just yet is interesting ... now i think that has more to do with Bernard being hurt and neither Kuhn or Austin being ready for prime time

but it must mean that he is in good shape, all things considered

nygpolishpunk
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Kuhn do a respectable job against SF? If you have a guy that's playing good enough, you don't have to rush injured guys back.

RoanokeFan
10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
even as i diehard fan, i will admit to labeling him Can'ty b/c he's missed more time with us than he has played with us

but he showed me a lot last season, played hard, played well and played thru injury in the playoffs

he hasnt hit anything in forever though ... there's street shape, which im sure he's in, but then football shape is like 10X street shape

but the fact that he isnt being ruled out for Sunday just yet is interesting ... now i think that has more to do with Bernard being hurt and neither Kuhn or Austin being ready for prime time

but it must mean that he is in good shape, all things considered

I think it's simply that there is no substitute for contact. Now, under the new CBA, actual contact in practices is really minimal. The Giants are patient with their developing players and their veteran s returning from injuries. I want Canty on the field on Sunday, but only if he is ready.

RoanokeFan
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Kuhn do a respectable job against SF? If you have a guy that's playing good enough, you don't have to rush injured guys back.

He did indeed. I am pretty sure he batted down at least one pass.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM

they were using JPP, Kiwi and Tuck at DT while the game was still close and on regular downs, not the Nascar thing ... most of Kuhn's snaps came in garbage time ... not saying he was bad, but he's not ready to be any kind of starting DT

having said that, it would shock me if Canty was in uniform Sunday, but looks like he is on target to play the following week, which is pretty much best case for a PUPer

Drez
10-17-2012, 04:55 PM
FFS. The kids hasn't played football in 2 years. Give the guy some time to not only get acclimated to the pro game, but to get back to playing football.

Drez
10-17-2012, 05:00 PM
i will admit to labeling him Can'ty b/c he's missed more time with us than he has played with us

Not true.

Out of the 54 possible games (not counting playoffs) that Canty could have played in with the Giants, he's played in 40. He missed 8 games his first season and 6 so far this year.

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Kuhn got some first half snaps, and played reasonably well. Blew up a run on one play I saw.

jonnyhaze
10-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Not ready to give up on Marvin Austin yet. He was one of the strongest players coming out of the combine (38 reps) and 1.63 10-yard split in the 40. Explosion of a running back. Then he tore his pec and lost so much developmental time piled on top of his missed time in college. The guy is barely even a rookie in my opinion. I think after he makes a few nice plays with his limited reps his confidence will grow tremendously and the coaches confidence in him will grow as well.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Not true.

Out of the 54 possible games (not counting playoffs) that Canty could have played in with the Giants, he's played in 40. He missed 8 games his first season and 6 so far this year.

that is true, i knew i was exaggerating a bit, but wow that is more games than i thought he played in ... altho that does raise the question of him not being good in all those games, but point taken

but when you pay a guy a lot and he's quiet for his 1st 8, then misses the rest of the season and then ... well you know ... plus he was a Cowboy ! :)

listen i can't wait for him to get on the field ... he and Joseph inside on regular downs just makes our D better and now with Kiwi in the D-line equation and maybe Tuck and Osi getting closer to midseason form

and JPP having fun again

it's all good right now up front

and we're deep at LB for the 1st time in awhile

and Rolle is coming off a great game

and Webby Prince Hosley Coe are pretty stout at CB

woot woot !!

Captain Chaos
10-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Give Austin a little time, everybody works in at different rates!

G-Men Surg.
10-18-2012, 02:23 AM
If you have seen the video tapes of the games you will see him doing a great job in special teams. In fact in that long David Wilson's return in the 49 rs game you can see him plowing the road with a pancake block in the first line of contact making a huge hole for David to run thru. He has the talent and playing behind Canty and Linval only will make him grow faster. He needs to take the next opportunity given by the coaches when times comes and run with it. Well see !

chuckedafter5yards
10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Kuhn has a high motor and has been healthy so they have used him to fill in. Austin is not holding his position well on running plays, it does take time to get into playing shape. Think they see him more a quick first step guy to make penetration as compared to a wall-type of DT. When the DT get penetration in this Defense they wreck havoc with so many athletes close behind the DT to make the play.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 09:17 AM
the Giants need healthy bodies in the middle this weekend on D. The Skins like to run up the gut. The DTs will have to shed blocks or just blow up the middle. IMO....Canty wont be ready for that yet......

b_ELI_eve
10-18-2012, 09:40 AM
We live in a time where nobody wants to wait for anything. Everything must happen now and be perfect!

Relax and give the guy a little time. He is coming off of a torn pectoral muscle and not playing football for a few years. Plus isn't it a compliment to Reese's drafting skills that another 7th round pick is a starter for our team?

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 09:49 AM
We live in a time where nobody wants to wait for anything. Everything must happen now and be perfect! Relax and give the guy a little time. He is coming off of a torn pectoral muscle and not playing football for a few years. Plus isn't it a compliment to Reese's drafting skills that another 7th round pick is a starter for our team? +1