PDA

View Full Version : I'm too optimistic, talk me down.

Kendo15
10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm a pessimist by nature, in life and especially my teams.

But I feel good about the Giants just now.

Obviously, Sunday has a lot to do with that, but it kind of goes deeper.

I was listening to the Rich Eisen podcast tonight ,when I was walking the dogs and it's heaped on the feelgoodness.

Rich is always good with Giants love anyway.

But I'm thinking we have real depth at RB and WR, the lines have both stiffened, Eli is a top 5 QB by any measure even the much maligned secondary is stepping up (a lot to do with Prince being in and healthy IMHO).
Special teams seem to be consistent tale of short fields for us, long fields for them, with Weatherford just a beast of a punter and Tynes doing well, in spite of the Philly incident.

Now this feeling could all turn to dust against Washington Sunday (particularly if last season is any measure) but for now I'm far too happy for a Giants fan in October.

Help?

Rudyy
10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Just think of how they swept us last year, with Sexy Rexy.

SweetZombieJesus
10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
It's a long season... We're not at the halfway point.

The schedule is brutal.

As usual the team can be magnificent one week and putrid the next.

Coughlin's teams always go 6-2 in the first half and then things turn sour and we don't always recover...

Coughlin's Nov/Dec record is still below .500.

Aside from the 2 SB runs this team hasn't won a playoff game.

It's only won one home playoff game since 2001.

It's blown the #1 seed and went one-and-done 3 times.

It still has lost something like 8 out of 9 against Philly, whom we play in week 17.

A few (more) key injuries could sink the team.

Except for 2 games the defense has been toothless.

Did that work?

Kendo15
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm trying, but things feel ...... different somehow.

UK-Giantsfan
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
compared to the Scotland Football team Ken .........im not surprised !!!

repeatchamps
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM

I know what you are going through. I feel the same way. This reminds me of the 2008 season following the Super Bowl win in Super Bowl 42. Even the schedule is pretty much identical. You have a fresh Super Bowl title in your back pocket and it is recognizable that this team had little to no dropoff talent wise (even improved) in the offseason. It now begins to translate on the field and you feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol. Yes I know the feeling well. Has this team thus far been as dominant as that 2008 squad not at all but you see signs of an ability to be just as dominant if not moreso as that squad was before Plax messed it all up for us. Let's hope the dominance we know is there keeps showing up and sustains itself throughout the entire season with no Plax incident this time.;)

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Last year when we beat the Pats, I told my wife that we were gonna win the Superbowl. Then we started losing and then I changed my mind. Then we went on a run and actually won it all. This team seems to play better with their backs against the wall. I don't plan on losing to a lesser opponent, I expect it but in the end, it's needed. Just buckle your chinstrap, there's a lot of football left to play & try to remain calm when things doesn't look too good. I see and feel it too.

BlueJayC
10-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Ha! Literally LOL'd and lost it on this one......should be heavy RED.

I grew up a pessimist but thrived as one.....learned from the old crumudgeons who sat in front of me in the old stadium.....first play of the game goes nowhere on O and it was game over.......those guys were miserable.

The NFL is really good at bringing fans back to reality.....Skins game last year.....Giants to the Pats, Niners and Pack in last year's games.......unfortunately chances are there will be an ugly loss at some point this season......might be this game.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
fans tend to go to extremes ... either we are terrible or we are the greatest thing ever ... gotta keep it all in perspective .... this NFL is so week to week and it's a marathon, not a sprint and a war of attrition

take games like we had at GB in 2010 or at NO in 2011 ... hard to watch and it's so easy to fall into the trap of thinking that we could never beat those teams or win in general

but on the flip side, our beat down of SF ... as gratifying as it was ... really doesnt mean that much, at least if you were a fan that realized already what we are capable of

if some fans really believed we werent good and then watched that game, well then it's an eye opener, but for me ... i really wasnt shocked, surprised sure ... i was expecting a game similiar to our last 2 meetings

but we had somebody on here saying if we lose by less than 20 it's a moral victory ... how could someone think that ??

so long story short, one game at a time and nobody wins a Super Bowl in Week 6 or Week 7 and you dont lose one either

BillTheGreek
10-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Obviously, Sunday has a lot to do with that, but it kind of goes deeper.

I was listening to the Rich Eisen podcast tonight ,when I was walking the dogs and it's heaped on the feelgoodness.

Rich is always good with Giants love anyway.

But I'm thinking we have real depth at RB and WR, the lines have both stiffened, Eli is a top 5 QB by any measure even the much maligned secondary is stepping up (a lot to do with Prince being in and healthy IMHO).
Special teams seem to be consistent tale of short fields for us, long fields for them, with Weatherford just a beast of a punter and Tynes doing well, in spite of the Philly incident.

Now this feeling could all turn to dust against Washington Sunday (particularly if last season is any measure) but for now I'm far too happy for a Giants fan in October.

Help?

That was Last year ! It's a New season !
I have only one problem with Beating RG3 and the Skins this Sunday ! He's going to be very P#$$@D OFF come December 3, when we play them again ! lol
So then what do we Do ? Go head say IT !!! Beat them again !
Go Giants !

BurnerNYG
10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
There's a lot of hungry teams out there that will eat your lunch if you're not careful... teams like the Bears! I feel it too like I said before but there are fans out there of the other 31(more like maybe 15 right now) who feel the same way you feel.

nygpolishpunk
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
If it wasn't for Plax being an idiot we would have repeated in 2008.

thomsoad
10-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Things may feel different ... but they are not.
Giants stepped up againg a great team... as usual.
Now what do the Giants do against inferior teams...usually?
Theres your pessimism....Giants have a 40% chance of laying a big fat egg this weekend.
Superior Talent..check
Division Rival...check
Favored to win...check

The more these variables swing in our favor the more likely we will lose.

Parademon
10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
If it wasn't for Plax being an idiot we would have repeated in 2008.

This x1000! We would have destroyed both Az in the NFCCG & Steelers in the SB!

Captain Chaos
10-17-2012, 08:14 PM

The schedule is brutal.

Coughlin's teams always go 6-2 in the first half and then things turn sour and we don't always recover...

It still has lost something like 8 out of 9 against Philly, whom we play in week 17.

Did that work?

Wow you sure know how to deflate a guys ego!

Robert21156
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM

The schedule is brutal.

Yep, it sure worked for me!!!

Did that work?

Yep, it sure worked for me!

JJC7301
10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm also very optimistic and I'm getting the same feeling about them when they entered the playlets last year. And I too tend to get negative, mostly due to the injuries that the always suffer.

Tommy_Ribs
10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Feel Good, enjoy it. We have a terrific team and are the defending champs.

Treat this year as gravy and enjoy it.

Kendo15
10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys, gradually reining it in!!!

I think what made me feel different after this game was the nature of the win.

Someone higher up made the point about us stepping up to the plate against better teams.

This we very often do, but there’s a “Giants-ness” to it, we have a tendency to do it the hard way and make the fans sweat a bit here and there.

Sunday was just ….. we were never in trouble, it was dominant, it was an 86 style performance (in terms of dominance, not necessarily style) and even when we’ve stepped up lately, it’s been closer.

Long may it continue!!!

miked1958
10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
If it wasn't for Plax being an idiot we would have repeated in 2008.Had we repeated in 08 there is no guarantee we would have won in 2011. Things may have turned out different draft wise had plax not shot himself. Maybe we still would have drafted Nicks and signed cruz as a FA... I mean we drafted barden as a direct result of losing plax.. Who knows how things would have played out. Maybe we would have lost more guys off the team had we won it all that year. Not sure but we cant go back now... would have been nice to see how it played out had he not done that. However the Defense was depleted late in that season and could not stop anyone nor get any pressure on QBs. That had nothing to do with Plax

nygpolishpunk
10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Had we repeated in 08 there is no guarantee we would have won in 2011. Things may have turned out different draft wise had plax not shot himself. Maybe we still would have drafted Nicks and signed cruz as a FA... I mean we drafted barden as a direct result of losing plax.. Who knows how things would have played out. Maybe we would have lost more guys off the team had we won it all that year. Not sure but we cant go back now... would have been nice to see how it played out had he not done that. However the Defense was depleted late in that season and could not stop anyone nor get any pressure on QBs. That had nothing to do with Plax
Think about this. Plax doesn't shoot himself, and as a direct result the offense remains as one of the top in the league. We were 11-1 at that point I think and went 1-3 the rest of the season. The guys on defense started getting hurt as a result of the offense not scoring points and being on the field too much. If Plax doesn't go down we potentially win the next two games and lock up home field and start resting guys. They don't get hurt or at least are on the field less.

GiantGremlin
10-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Help?

It's fine to be excited right now, the win over SF was a great statement game, but the problem is the Giants are technically only a 1/2 game ahead of Philly for the div lead, are 0-2 in the div, have Washington on Sunday, followed by Dallas at their place the following week. Both of these are must wins, even a split won't do because they'd still be 1-3 in the div & 4-3 in the conference w/ a lot of good team's left to play.

Kendo15
10-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Fingernails chewed up to my elbows, blood pressure at danger level, several follicles balder, wife p****d off, neighbours wondering about the noise, dogs frightened, normal service resumed.

That's more like it!!!!!

Kendo15
10-28-2012, 07:52 PM
It's fair to say that normal service has been well and truly resumed.