PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if Clint Sintim and Chad Jones had panned out

flimflam
10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Too bad for Chad, but his immaturity derailed his career. If not for the accident, we might have one of the best safeties in the game. While Eric Berry and Earl Thomas were the best rated (rightfully so) and most accomplished safeties in the 2010 NFL draft, many scouts believed that if Chad Jones devoted his full attention to football and gave up baseball, that he could be the best safety to come out of the draft because of his size and measureables - Chad was big for a safety - 6'3" tall and around 230 pounds. Basically he had Taylor Mays's size and Earl Thomas's speed.

Sintim, while most scouts believed he would be best suited in a 3-4 because he is a big linebacker and had edge rushing prowess, showed something to Jerry Reese. A lot of people wondered why Reese drafted a 3-4 LBer for our defense when he seemingly didn't fit, but Reese, as he has done with so many other players, went against convention and picked someone based on talent evaluation and not the scheme that they played in. Unfortunately, the misgivings were probable founded and Reese swung and missed on this. But we won't really know if Sintim failed because he was a bad fit, or if the injuries derailed him.

But imagine had these guys panned out for us. This year, our depth is phenomenal, and I can't help to wonder that if these guys had panned out, if they'd be stars by now for us.

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Dont disrespect chad like that and call him immature. He is nothing of the sort.

As for Sintim, scheme had nothing to do with it. He was soft.

Robert21156
10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Dont disrespect chad like that and call him immature. He is nothing of the sort.

Well, Chad Jones wrecked his vehicle all by himself by traveling WAY too fast. It was a one vehicle accident, so I understand the "immature" comment. I
saw him play SEC games and he was a superb player. It's truly a shame that this happened, because he had unlimited potential.

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, Chad Jones wrecked his vehicle all by himself by traveling WAY too fast.

Except he was never charged with speeding, and nobody really knows how fast he was going. He lost control of a vehicle. It was an accident. Lets call him out as being immature because he had an accident? Truly pathetic

thegiantsrule10
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I was sad jones did not work out, but sintim was easily replacible.

Tmurda1984
10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
People are ridiculous when they are comparing Chad Jones what-if career to Sean Taylor and Ed Reed. At least with Sean Taylor, we saw him play for several years at a high level in the NFL, and he was rounding out to be a top safety in NFL history. How can we make a huge prediction thinking this guy would of been a hall of famer....who knows if his heart was completely into football...and with Kenny Phillips and Rolle who knows if he would of had trouble sniffing the field and has to play a hybrid position like Kiwi (that messed up his career).

SimmsandLT
10-17-2012, 10:24 PM

How can you say he is disrespecting Chad Jones for being immature, then call Sintim soft for suffering bad injuries? A guy trying to come back from a broken leg, and a couple of acl tears should not be considered soft since he was working hard to come back. Brittle? Yeah you could say so. But soft? Not enough evidence to even remotely suggest that. Unless you are saying that injured players are soft?

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
How can you say he is disrespecting Chad Jones for being immature, then call Sintim soft for suffering bad injuries? A guy trying to come back from a broken leg, and a couple of acl tears should not be considered soft since he was working hard to come back. Brittle? Yeah you could say so. But soft? Not enough evidence to even remotely suggest that. Unless you are saying that injured players are soft?

Sintim was soft when he was on the field. Nothing to do with his injuries.

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
haha, this is another dynamic

posters who know they cant trash the champs

posters who know we were dominant the past week

but they still want so bad to say something bad!!

1st i would never and who could ever change anything that pre-dated a Super Bowl win ... isnt that the goal !!! ... so if you wanna rip the Giants you have to start in March '12 or you are nothing more than a hater

and finally having lost my train of thought, i would like to say woot woot !!!! ... loving my team right now !!! not too many fans around the league are loving their team totally right now !!!

juice33s
10-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Too bad for Chad, but his immaturity derailed his career. If not for the accident, we might have one of the best safeties in the game. While Eric Berry and Earl Thomas were the best rated (rightfully so) and most accomplished safeties in the 2010 NFL draft, many scouts believed that if Chad Jones devoted his full attention to football and gave up baseball, that he could be the best safety to come out of the draft because of his size and measureables - Chad was big for a safety - 6'3" tall and around 230 pounds. Basically he had Taylor Mays's size and Earl Thomas's speed.

Sintim, while most scouts believed he would be best suited in a 3-4 because he is a big linebacker and had edge rushing prowess, showed something to Jerry Reese. A lot of people wondered why Reese drafted a 3-4 LBer for our defense when he seemingly didn't fit, but Reese, as he has done with so many other players, went against convention and picked someone based on talent evaluation and not the scheme that they played in. Unfortunately, the misgivings were probable founded and Reese swung and missed on this. But we won't really know if Sintim failed because he was a bad fit, or if the injuries derailed him.

But imagine had these guys panned out for us. This year, our depth is phenomenal, and I can't help to wonder that if these guys had panned out, if they'd be stars by now for us.
lol, Earl thomas's speed?....Chad Jones ran a 4.65 40, he doesn't even have Tyler sash's speed

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 11:39 PM
lol, Earl thomas's speed?....Chad Jones ran a 4.65 40, he doesn't even have Tyler sash's speed

Not to mention that Taylor Mays had better than Earl Thomas speed, Mays ran a 4.3 flat...

Mays just had awful hips and no lateral movement.

But Chad Jones likely could have ran much better, he was the best athlete on that team, just did not test that well, similar to how JPP was relatively average at the combine.

juice33s
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Not to mention that Taylor Mays had better than Earl Thomas speed, Mays ran a 4.3 flat...

Mays just had awful hips and no lateral movement.

But Chad Jones likely could have ran much better, he was the best athlete on that team, just did not test that well, similar to how JPP was relatively average at the combine.
Eh, Chad Jones was a 3rd round pick for a reason because he was only an average athlete who had limited range and ability in coverage. Fan's just like to romantize his skillset because he got injured, but i'm not sure he would've contributed too much on the current roster

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Eh, Chad Jones was a 3rd round pick for a reason because he was only an average athlete who had limited range and ability in coverage. Fan's just like to romantize his skillset because he got injured, but i'm not sure he would've contributed too much on the current roster

He was a 3rd round pick because he was only an average player. Only had I believe two interceptions his college career. He was actually rather raw, and only started like half the games his last year of college.

juice33s
10-17-2012, 11:55 PM
He was a 3rd round pick because he was only an average player. Only had I believe two interceptions his college career. He was actually rather raw, and only started like half the games his last year of college.
He was 2nd team SEC and had 5 Int's (3 as a JR) for his career. He was pretty good, but nothing special much like his athletiscm

slipknottin
10-17-2012, 11:58 PM
He was 2nd team SEC and had 5 Int's (3 as a JR) for his career. He was pretty good, but nothing special much like his athletiscm

Thats not how everyone scouts/teammates talked about him, everyone said he was incredibly gifted athleticially, was the best athlete on that team. He just was not a consistently great or even good player.

juice33s
10-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Thats not how everyone scouts/teammates talked about him, everyone said he was incredibly gifted athleticially, was the best athlete on that team. He just was not a consistently great or even good player. He might of been athletic, just not in the terms that you'd look for in a DB. He lacked explosive quick twitch abilities.

This was from his NFL draft profile:
Weaknesses Jones only possesses average pure speed. His range is only adequate as he’s more comfortable in run support or playing in the box. May have difficulty shadowing slot receivers, running backs and receiving tight ends in man coverage at the next level.

RichGiants81
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=slipknottin;538667]Dont disrespect chad like that and call him immature. He is nothing of the sort.

As for Sintim, scheme had nothing to do with it. He was soft.[/QUOTE

with no disrespect to chad, how do you know if he is mature or not...do you hang out with the guy??? just wondering....for all we know, he could have crashed his car because he was rolling a blunt on the highway...cant stand when people on the board act like their opinions are worth more than everyone else. you act like you are privy to special inside info that the rest of us dont know about....do you have an all access pass into the locker room each week or are you watching the games from the stands or at home like the rest of us???

Imgrate
10-18-2012, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=slipknottin;538667]Dont disrespect chad like that and call him immature. He is nothing of the sort.As for Sintim, scheme had nothing to do with it. He was soft.[/QUOTEwith no disrespect to chad, how do you know if he is mature or not...do you hang out with the guy??? just wondering....for all we know, he could have crashed his car because he was rolling a blunt on the highway...cant stand when people on the board act like their opinions are worth more than everyone else. you act like you are privy to special inside info that the rest of us dont know about....do you have an all access pass into the locker room each week or are you watching the games from the stands or at home like the rest of us???You were the first one to call Jones immature. You had absolutely zero factual basis for that statement. Don't state something disparaging about a player if you don't have anything to back it up.

Imgrate
10-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Thats not how everyone scouts/teammates talked about him, everyone said he was incredibly gifted athleticially, was the best athlete on that team. He just was not a consistently great or even good player.He was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school.

ELI_HOF_NYG
10-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Except he was never charged with speeding, and nobody really knows how fast he was going. He lost control of a vehicle. It was an accident. Lets call him out as being immature because he had an accident? Truly pathetic

he has every right to post his feelings,,,who are you to cast judgement? lighten up man,,whats truly pathetic is that you ALWAYS have something negative to say no matter what the comment is,,do you know chad? where you there? maybe the cops swept it under the carpet to protect him,,who knows? nobody knows what happened but chad and the police. if you have nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation don't say anything.

Captain Chaos
10-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Would be nice but lets get back to reality...you can't get them all right!

GMENAGAIN
10-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Did you ever watch Sintim play? Soft is being kind . . . .

flimflam
10-18-2012, 02:47 PM
haha, this is another dynamic

posters who know they cant trash the champs

posters who know we were dominant the past week

but they still want so bad to say something bad!!

1st i would never and who could ever change anything that pre-dated a Super Bowl win ... isnt that the goal !!! ... so if you wanna rip the Giants you have to start in March '12 or you are nothing more than a hater

and finally having lost my train of thought, i would like to say woot woot !!!! ... loving my team right now !!! not too many fans around the league are loving their team totally right now !!!

I think I understand the point you were trying to make. No Gman-67, I love my team, and am pretty positive all around. Look at my posts. I wasn't searching for something negative to post. I was one of the early Sintim and Chad Jones backers. Hence the reason for my post is that I am still kind of sad they aren't on the team. Given how many home runs JR has hit, I guess he has to miss on a few high draft picks. I was truly expecting Sintim and Jones to be big parts of this team.

Who knew this would be such a lightening rod subject? Relax SlipKnottin. Instead of immaturity, I should have put bad luck. I was mainly relaying the consensus out there that he was involved in a crash because he was young, speeding, etc hence "immature." Did not mean it to slight Chad.

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
he has every right to post his feelings,,,who are you to cast judgement? lighten up man,,whats truly pathetic is that you ALWAYS have something negative to say no matter what the comment is,,do you know chad? where you there? maybe the cops swept it under the carpet to protect him,,who knows? nobody knows what happened but chad and the police. if you have nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation don't say anything.

Really? Chad was immature because he got into a car accident when he wasent drunk or possibly not even speeding. But yes, let's conclude a conspiracy is more likely than it being an accident.

Possibility of him speeding isn't even a sign of immaturity. How many of us speed? It is sad to have to blame him for what is really just an unfortunate event. And it is one single event. He did not have any behavior red flags at all in his life

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 03:33 PM
He was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school.

Exactly. Enormous physical talent just did not play up to it in college.

Kruunch
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Not to mention Taylor Mays is faster than both Earl Thomas and Chad Jones.

As for the other stuff, yeah it's a bit harsh to call Jones "immature". Without knowing the full details of the accident, you have to call it just that ... an accident. He hadn't done anything before or since to warrant that kind of accusation to my knowledge.

Sintim was injury prone ... can't make the club from the tub.

If my aunt had balls she'd have been my uncle.

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
He might of been athletic, just not in the terms that you'd look for in a DB. He lacked explosive quick twitch abilities.

This was from his NFL draft profile:
Weaknesses Jones only possesses average pure speed. His range is only adequate as hes more comfortable in run support or playing in the box. May have difficulty shadowing slot receivers, running backs and receiving tight ends in man coverage at the next level.

I think you have it backwards. He was quick twitch athlete. He struggled with his long speed.

penguinfarmer
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Jones could very well have been adept in Fewell's defense. Shame we will never know.

Sintim could have had titanium knees. Wouldn't have changed the fact he looked incredibly timid at the POA.

ogun75672
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I creamed my pants when we picked up Chad Jones. I am extremely disappointed he didn't work out.

ogun75672
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm happy with Brown, KP and Rolle but it would be nice if we can draft a ball-hawking stud next season.

BigJ
10-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I know u guys are sayin Sintim is soft and I don't disagree but I think that if he bulked up 10 pounds. Considering if he could of stayed healthy. I feel he could of helped come into the Role that Tolifson had. Or at least coulda tried him there for a year. As a back up DEnd. The only thing he ever did do for us was Sack Romo from the Dend position haha The guy had no business at 43 Lber. Total bust pick on reese and they didn't use him for what he was best at in collage. Can't get them all right though.

juice33s
10-18-2012, 11:29 PM
I think you have it backwards. He was quick twitch athlete. He struggled with his long speed.
Whatever you say. I say tomatoe you say tomato. You say he was an elite athlete, I say he was an average athlete and I back it up with a scouting report/combine numbers....You then question my definition of what a quick twitch athlete is ect ect

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Whatever you say. I say tomatoe you say tomato. You say he was an elite athlete, I say he was an average athlete and I back it up with a scouting report/combine numbers....You then question my definition of what a quick twitch athlete is ect ect

Your scouting report said he lacked long speed... Said nothing about being quick twitch.

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 11:43 PM
I know u guys are sayin Sintim is soft and I don't disagree but I think that if he bulked up 10 pounds. .

He was 255 pounds! The biggest LB on the team (apart from Kiwi). He is the same size as Osi.

juice33s
10-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Your scouting report said he lacked long speed... Said nothing about being quick twitch.
It said nothing about "Long speed", it said he lacked "Pure speed".

You're taking things to literal....Obviously all football players are made up of alot of quick twitch muscle fibers, these aren't marathon runners after all. What i mean by not being quick twitch, is that he isn't an overly explosive athlete in the same vein that a Derek Rose or David Wilson are. In other words when I say he isn't a quick twitch athlete I mean that he isn't overly special physically, doesn't have that "Wow" type of explosion to his game.....In otherwords, average

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 11:57 PM
But he does have that wow type of explosion, he just does not have great range. Every scouting profile I ever saw of him talked about how he was a freaky athlete and the best athlete on that LSU team.

Long speed = pure speed. Same thing.

I still think he compares to Adrian Wilson type player. Excellent athlete, but not great speed.

juice33s
10-19-2012, 12:06 AM
But he does have that wow type of explosion, he just does not have great range. Every scouting profile I ever saw of him talked about how he was a freaky athlete and the best athlete on that LSU team.

Long speed = pure speed. Same thing.

I still think he compares to Adrian Wilson type player. Excellent athlete, but not great speed.
Lol I never new 9 reps on the bench at 220 pounds or a 4.65 40 was considered to be a "freaky athlete". Nor did I realize you could be considered an excellent athlete at defensive back with out great speed......You learn something new everyday I guess

slipknottin
10-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Lol I never new 9 reps on the bench at 220 pounds or a 4.65 40 was considered to be a "freaky athlete". Nor did I realize you could be considered an excellent athlete at defensive back with out great speed......You learn something new everyday I guess

He only had 9 reps because he was playing baseball, and he couldnt work out much.

You must not have read many of the draft profiles about him before his car crash.

Adrian Wilson ran a 4.53 at the combine back when he was only 213 pounds, then he bulked up to 230 or so.

And as far as what Chad Jones ran at the combine, scouts timed him at around 4.6 flat, and he ran a 4.57 at his proday.

And as far as combine tests always showing a guy is a freak athlete, why did JPP have such average numbers then?

juice33s
10-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Actually Wilson ran a 4.45 and had a 42 inch vertical.....Are you just making up **** as you go along because its getting annoying?

slipknottin
10-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Actually Wilson ran a 4.45 and had a 42 inch vertical.....Are you just making up **** as you go along because its getting annoying?

Where are you reading his 40 time? wikipedia? lol

The fastest verifiable time I could find for him was a 4.53.

Another interesting example, from the game tonight, Chancellor is about the same size as Jones was, 6'3 230, he ran a 4.62 at the combine and a 4.59 at his proday. And he went to the probowl last season. Seems running a 4.59 isnt all that bad afterall. Compare the rest of the numbers between Chancellor and Jones and Jones does seem like a pretty remarkable athlete.

Lets see.

Vert jump
Jones - 36
Kam - 32

Broad jump
about the same (within an inch)

short shuttle
Jones - 4.14
Kam - 4.41

3 cone
Jones - 6.83
Kam - 7.36

juice33s
10-19-2012, 12:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0307/1136944.html 4.48
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=WilsAd99 4.45

slipknottin
10-19-2012, 12:30 AM
The second one just seems to be reporting other news reports. But the Espn one could be legit. There is always a range in these times.

CowboysSuck
10-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Calling Chad Jones immature is a back handed insult of a guy with extreme character. Some people amaze me...