PDA

View Full Version : Who are your picks for the most underrated GIANTS so far this season?

Tommy_Ribs
10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
On Defense, I have to say that Linvall Joseph is my pick. He really has been terrific this year. He is really becoming one of the better DTs in the NFC, and I think once he gets some more experience, he will become a top DT in the NFC.

On Offense, I really think Kevin Booth has done some great work against talented interior linemen and has helped clear the way for three dominating rushing performances this year. The whole O-Line has been terrific, but to me Booth has really been one of the key guys.

I'd be interested to hear some other opinions as well.

juice33s
10-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Hynoski, I saw him pancake Patrick Willis on Sunday.....How many people have done that?

Amukamara...read somewhere he was PFF's #4 rated corner

Locklear- Unseated NYG stalwart Diehl with relative ease

GMan-67
10-17-2012, 11:29 PM
that's tough

im gonna take the angle of players that were trashed recently along with obvious underrated players

Boothe is a great call ... the guy is a true stud now ... not as mobile as Richie Seubert, but he can be a road grater

on D ... well Prince was called a bust, so good call there

gotta give Beatty some love ... he was called soft, but he has the talent to be a legit LT and that is such an important position

hmm, 3 more .... i think we knew Joseph, but i get that pick ...

im gonna tag J-Will and i realize bad timing with his knee injury but this new NFL is all about fast LBs and he's in that mold and, well, his strip in the Championship game is now cemented in Giants lore

alright, i missed one, but im gonna tag Bear Pascoe .... clearly a role player, clearly not dynamic, clearly not the blocker Hynoski is in the FB/H-Back role ... but with 2 brandie new TEs and one who we have labeled a project in Adrien Robinson ... it's very nice to have a guy that knows all the plays and is a team player willing to do whatever we ask ... he's like the O version of Chase

my last one is gonna be ... Spencer Paysinger ... great ST player and now earning some D time ... seems to be a playmaker despite his depth chart designation and/or his draft position

good stuff ... GMEN !!!!

NYGFaninILL
10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Jayron. Hosley. Nuff said

RichGiants81
10-17-2012, 11:53 PM
linval, benett

rtahsin
10-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Hynoski, I saw him pancake Patrick Willis on Sunday.....How many people have done that?

Amukamara...read somewhere he was PFF's #4 rated corner

Locklear- Unseated NYG stalwart Diehl with relative easeIs there a clip for that? I would really like to see someone pancake Patrick Willis.

TomCat_FIN
10-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Hixon's starting to get some love lately, but he's very underrated IMO. If Nicks were to go down for the whole season, my opinion is that Hixon could step in and fill in for him perfectly. He's big, physical, athletic.

My second choice would be Prince.

Captain Chaos
10-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Beatty is legit and Hynosorous is a beast!

GMENAGAIN
10-18-2012, 06:36 AM
i agree with linval as our most underrated player.

Dorothy
10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
What about the kickers? Do we just take them for granted because they are doing such a good job?
Kudo's to Tynes, Weatherford and the long snapper De Ossie.

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 07:32 AM
As soon as I seen the thread title Linval came to mind...he's a beast in the middle

Buddy333
10-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Think about that draft. In the 1st round JPP and in the 2nd round Joseph. The next year they get Prince and Austin. I know they are stil, waiting on Austin, but if he pans out that's 4 really good picks for the defense. This years picks are working out as well. That Reese guy must know what he's doing.

thegiantsrule10
10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Linval joseph and Amukamara.

BigBlue wins
10-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm going to have to go with Linval Joseph and Weatherford. I have this feeling that if Reuben Randle had more snaps I would be saying him too

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Beatty. Dude is playing like an all-pro right now. I know we give him props here but outside the Giants fan base nobody knows this guy. Good OL are often underrated.

The 3 ST positions are always a bit underrated, though I think Tynes and Weatherford are getting at least some of their dues. (Fantasy leagues are lighting up about Tynes, who is apparently only second to Akers now in fantasy points for K).

DeOssie is definitely underrated though, since he pretty much NEVER botches a snap, and on punts you will see him downfield too making tackles like the linebacker we drafted him as. Anyone who was a Giants fan before Eli can definitely appreciate having someone who doesn't Junkin a snap on the team. (For those of you who became a Giants fan after 2002, imagine Dodgegate, but in the playoffs)...

Mercury
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm going with Chase Blackburn on defense. For years I was down on him. I always thought he was a backup/ST guy. But he is a thumper on defense. I can tell he learned a lot from A. Pierce about breaking down film. They guy gets our defense set, and he knows where to be. And guys with more athleticism haven't managed to unseat him as our MLB, so you know he's getting it done.

I'm going with David Diehl on offense. They guy has always done whatever is asked of him. He played above his head as our LT for years. And filled in for Beatty when he got hurt last year. And even if he wasn't the best LT with his skills are deminishing, he was still good enough for us to win the SB. And while, I'm glad the Oline is looking better with Beatty and Locklear, it's good to know DD is there to back them up. Not only back them up, he's contributing as our oversized TE on short yardage situations.

DaKraken
10-18-2012, 08:47 AM
There are so many but have to give my vote to Locklear given the way the offensive line has played. No one saw his signing as anything more than as song depth.

Agree Joseph is underrated but I think the league is catching on that he's an All-Pro.

ryan12
10-18-2012, 08:50 AM
as soon as i read this i thought linval. bernard was playing his *** off until he got hurt. and on offense im going with the whole offensive line.

TheAnalyst
10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
I think you got some right, Joseph isnt quite there yet with the recognition he deserves. He is starting to look like one of the best run stuffing DTs in the league. Im also going to say Prince though. He has been Revis like recently. And can't forget Stevie Brown. Doing an amazing job for being the "backup".

Offense, the whole Oline right now. Locklear? Beatty? Boothe? I cant pick. All underrated the way they are playing. Hynoski has been a beast. And at WR, Hixon has been huge for playing such a small part behind Nicks and Cruz.

Tynes has been money as well.

jintsfan666
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Obviously he is not under rated. BUT. Can I just put in a word for Baas?

ryan12
10-18-2012, 10:38 AM
THE WHOLE DAMN O-LINE

BlueJayC
10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Linval on D.
Hixon and Hynoski on O.

Buddy333
10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
What about Canty? Not having him has made a huge difference. They figured things out last week, but before that they where not getting pressure or stopping the run all that well. Imagine how good they could be when he gets back into game shape. Can't wait.

Giantterp
10-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I vote for Boley. No one ever seems to talk about him and he keeps making plays...

I love Linval but think I think is starting to get his due and he may even be a pro-bowler this year (therefore not underrated)

It sounds crazy, but also make an augment for JPP (sort of). He's not getting the sack totals so it may seem like to people who don't watch the games (and to some posters here), but he's been in the backfield all season and causing havoc in other ways. Anyone who does not think he's a top 3 defensive player in the NFL is underrating him.

njg85m
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm going with Chase Blackburn on defense. For years I was down on him. I always thought he was a backup/ST guy. But he is a thumper on defense. I can tell he learned a lot from A. Pierce about breaking down film. They guy gets our defense set, and he knows where to be. And guys with more athleticism haven't managed to unseat him as our MLB, so you know he's getting it done.

Whole-heartedly agree with you.

It was a real indicator of how much certain people hate Chase on this board 2 weeks ago when everyone was praising Stevie Brown for his INT that basically fell in his lap, yet no one even acknowledged that the entire play was created by Chase.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Placekicker Lawrence Tynes leads the NFL in points with 68

Giants5699
10-18-2012, 12:39 PM
the whole team

njg85m
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Placekicker Lawrence Tynes leads the NFL in points with 68

Nice stat, didn't know that. Way to go Lawrence.

Mlerman17
10-18-2012, 02:44 PM
On d: Joseph prince hosley On o: Beatty hixon boothe

Kruunch
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Not for myself, but Hixon without a doubt considering most wanted him gone. I would have said Ramses Barden after his performance against the Panthers but then he had that total brain fart that cost us the Eagles game.

Linval Joseph is a great pick as he's been our most consistant defensive player after JPP.

Definitely have to give a shout out to Sean Locklear .... the journeyman is thriving in our oline.

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Baas. Everyone here constantly complains about him. But he's been very good this season

drewz
10-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Hynoski on offense
LJ on defense

SackingMyths
10-18-2012, 03:37 PM
My vote goes to Martellus.

While his contributions early on in the passing game and in the red zone have been obvious, the boost he's given to the run game and in pass protection with his blocking have been severely understated IMO.

With ZERO SACKS given up in 3 games (against Philly and SF, no less) and a run game that opponents now legitimately have to worry about, I feel that Marty B's been a big reason for that.

pino
10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
The entire special teams. They should be getting way more praise, and they are playing like one of the best in the league so far.

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 04:37 PM

While his contributions early on in the passing game and in the red zone have been obvious, the boost he's given to the run game and in pass protection with his blocking have been severely understated IMO.

With ZERO SACKS given up in 3 games (against Philly and SF, no less) and a run game that opponents now legitimately have to worry about, I feel that Marty B's been a big reason for that.

Beatty is a big part of that too...

DVision
10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Kevin Boothe. Him and Beatty are holding down the left side of the line! Gone are the days of just running behind Snee every play!

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
i agree with linval as our most underrated player.

+1

I give Locklear alot of credit too......most people (including myself) didn't make much of it when he was signed.

pj18
10-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Hixon, Prince, Boley, O-line... I just hope they can continue to play the way they have been and stay healthy.

dave56dj
10-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Hill and Hosley - both guys have done a tremendous job in the nickel and slot guys have rarely been heard of. Hosley also has a pick and Will some tfl's and nice blitzes. This was an are of huge concern with rolle having to play out of position last year. These guys have been awesome this year.

ST return men - Randle and especially Wilson have given us a return game we havent had in years. Man did Austin blow someone up on wilsons second half return.

WR depth - Barden/ Hixon and Randle have all stepped up huge in the face of injury.

Bennett - Guy is a mismatch as a receiver and a hell of an edge blocker on top of it.

Beatty - Has secured the left tackle spot well.

Locklear - Came in and played both tackle spots - and fairly well.

Stevie Brown - has come in and done nicely with phillips out.

AB2 - kid stepped up big time in carolina and lit a fire under AB1.

BParcells777
10-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Blackburn........no Blackburn, no trophy

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Michael Boley. The guy never gets his due

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 07:14 PM

I just saw Bennet on a top 5 fantasy TE list on NFLN. He is by no means underrated/under the radar

GMENAGAIN
10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Blackburn........no Blackburn, no trophy

lol . . . yeah, what would we do without all of those missed tackles?

nycisgreat
10-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Chase Blackburn. I don't think to many people appreciate his play. The guy is a solid player. This guy is puts himself in good position on most plays.

nycisgreat
10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
lol . . . yeah, what would we do without all of those missed tackles?

Name one person on the team that doesn't have a miss tackle. Name one person on the team other than Blackburn who tackles running backs on his back while on the ground. lmao.

SackingMyths
10-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I just saw Bennet on a top 5 fantasy TE list on NFLN. He is by no means underrated/under the radar

That's fantasy stats, and I agree that he's received recognition there. I was referring strictly to his contributions as a blocker as being "underrated." He gets some credit there, but I still think he should get more of it.

Toad--yes, I agree that Beatty has been a HUGE part of our improvement. He seems to be a lot more powerful overall this season.

GMENAGAIN
10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Chase Blackburn. I don't think to many people appreciate his play. The guy is a solid player. This guy is puts himself in good position on most plays.

Blackburn is terrible

ShakeandBake
10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Linval joseph and Amukamara.

bingo

ogun75672
10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Boothe, Hixon and Kiwanuka.

ogun75672
10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Blackburn is terrible

People don't like hearing it but I truly believe we can replace him with just about any of our more athletic backups and we won't miss a beat. He's too dang slow. I like the guy's resiliency and toughness though...

Parademon
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Hixon's starting to get some love lately, but he's very underrated IMO. If Nicks were to go down for the whole season, my opinion is that Hixon could step in and fill in for him perfectly. He's big, physical, athletic.

My second choice would be Prince.

Are Boys fans delusional or what? I just stated that Prince is playing like a top 5 CB this yr & most of them just laughed/scoffed at my comment & said that he's not even a top 5 corner in our division! That he stinks, etc.

Mistanihan
10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Prince, Rolle, Wilson and Beatty.

jonnyhaze
10-19-2012, 01:25 PM
People don't like hearing it but I truly believe we can replace him with just about any of our more athletic backups and we won't miss a beat. He's too dang slow. I like the guy's resiliency and toughness though...

Blackburn awareness and leadership ability is the only reason he is starting.
Surprisingly good coverage and sticky hands when he's in position to make a play.
Physically he shouldn't even be in the league.

Eliscruzzz
10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Canty, Rolle, Hosley, Prince and the entire offensive line.

fansince69
10-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Beatty. Dude is playing like an all-pro right now. I know we give him props here but outside the Giants fan base nobody knows this guy. Good OL are often underrated.

The 3 ST positions are always a bit underrated, though I think Tynes and Weatherford are getting at least some of their dues. (Fantasy leagues are lighting up about Tynes, who is apparently only second to Akers now in fantasy points for K).

DeOssie is definitely underrated though, since he pretty much NEVER botches a snap, and on punts you will see him downfield too making tackles like the linebacker we drafted him as. Anyone who was a Giants fan before Eli can definitely appreciate having someone who doesn't Junkin a snap on the team. (For those of you who became a Giants fan after 2002, imagine Dodgegate, but in the playoffs)...

This exact thing popped into my mind....we don't even think about bad snaps

GameTime
10-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Blackburn awareness and leadership ability is the only reason he is starting.
Surprisingly good coverage and sticky hands when he's in position to make a play.
Physically he shouldn't even be in the league.
thats just a dopey statement.
You make it sound like the guy a joke physically. You know he even lined up at DT last weekend.....

GameTime
10-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Blackburn is terrible
he's really not......
but whatever.....

fansince69
10-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Canty, Rolle, Hosley, Prince and the entire offensive line.

How can Canty be underrated when he isn't even playing?....I am also thinking most players making his money are pretty well thought of.....I would be curious your thinking on this....

jonnyhaze
10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
thats just a dopey statement.
You make it sound like the guy a joke physically. You know he even lined up at DT last weekend.....

Out of the league is exactly where he was last season before the giants picked him up mid season.
You name me one middle linebacker in the NFL that blackburn is more physically gifted than. I really don't think there is one.

GameTime
10-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Out of the league is exactly where he was last season before the giants picked him up mid season.
You name me one middle linebacker in the NFL that blackburn is more physically gifted than. I really don't think there is one.

well I dont all the LBs in the NFL and I hear what you are saying but the uy gets it done and right now he is getting done. To say he is the least physically gifted MLB in the league is a stretch IMO. But all good.....

njg85m
10-19-2012, 02:14 PM
well I dont all the LBs in the NFL and I hear what you are saying but the uy gets it done and right now he is getting done. To say he is the least physically gifted MLB in the league is a stretch IMO. But all good.....

You're wasting your time GT. The amount of Chase hate here is unbelievable. I gave up trying weeks ago.

Some people here for whatever reason will just not give the guy credit no matter what. 2 weeks ago there are numerous posters praising stevie brown for his INT that was thrown right to him only because Chase broke through the line and forced the throw, yet no one was willing to give him any credit whatsoever. Chase's INT on the other hand was not significant, nor were any of the tackles he made...just the ones he missed. The PFR rating for the Eagles game means nothing either, even though he is credited with keeping the game as close as it was.
The fact that he was left alone to cover a WR on a long bomb and nearly stayed with him means nothing either.

Chase is an average player, I've always said that, but the insinuation that he's "terrible" is just plain asinine. He's a football genius who gives it 100% on every play, and very simply isn't tremendously physically gifted.
I'm also convinced that 99% of the people who hate on him do not pay attention to anything that happens before the ball is snapped. Chase is an on-field coach who is routinely instructing guys of their assignments, calling out offenses, and generally helping the younger guys. That alone is an incredible value to add to a team and I don't see anyone else right now, despite how physically gifted they are, who can step up at MLB and take on that responsibility..

Eliscruzzz
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
How can Canty be underrated when he isn't even playing?....I am also thinking most players making his money are pretty well thought of.....I would be curious your thinking on this....Well until Kiwi moved to the D-line he was really missed and I have seen plenty of people including Giant fans say he is overpaid.

BigBlue1971
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Hynoski imo is definitely underrated. i think for the rest of the season he will make a case for himself and whens all said and done he'll be one of the best fbs in the league!

i have to agree that Linval Joseph is not mentioned or highly regarded in league circles. i think being between Tuck, Osi, JPP and Kiwi all being beast d-linemen it just reglates Linval is lesser status in terms of ratings! hes had an excellent season so far and deserves much more attention than he gets!

JimC
10-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Not for myself, but Hixon without a doubt considering most wanted him gone. I would have said Ramses Barden after his performance against the Panthers but then he had that total brain fart that cost us the Eagles game.

I believe he thought the pass had a good chance of being intercepted and did what he did to prevent the interception. Good play by him.

jax5338
10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
You're wasting your time GT. The amount of Chase hate here is unbelievable. I gave up trying weeks ago.

Some people here for whatever reason will just not give the guy credit no matter what. 2 weeks ago there are numerous posters praising stevie brown for his INT that was thrown right to him only because Chase broke through the line and forced the throw, yet no one was willing to give him any credit whatsoever. Chase's INT on the other hand was not significant, nor were any of the tackles he made...just the ones he missed. The PFR rating for the Eagles game means nothing either, even though he is credited with keeping the game as close as it was.
The fact that he was left alone to cover a WR on a long bomb and nearly stayed with him means nothing either.

Chase is an average player, I've always said that, but the insinuation that he's "terrible" is just plain asinine. He's a football genius who gives it 100% on every play, and very simply isn't tremendously physically gifted.
I'm also convinced that 99% of the people who hate on him do not pay attention to anything that happens before the ball is snapped. Chase is an on-field coach who is routinely instructing guys of their assignments, calling out offenses, and generally helping the younger guys. That alone is an incredible value to add to a team and I don't see anyone else right now, despite how physically gifted they are, who can step up at MLB and take on that responsibility..

agreed.

to be honest, blackburn reminds me a lot of pierce. except i think blackburn actually has a better nose for the ball.

TroyArcher
10-19-2012, 05:00 PM
On Defense, I have to say that Linvall Joseph is my pick. He really has been terrific this year. He is really becoming one of the better DTs in the NFC, and I think once he gets some more experience, he will become a top DT in the NFC.

On Offense, I really think Kevin Booth has done some great work against talented interior linemen and has helped clear the way for three dominating rushing performances this year. The whole O-Line has been terrific, but to me Booth has really been one of the key guys.

I'd be interested to hear some other opinions as well.

Two great choices. Beatty has also been very good since coming back. Tynes has had a very good year.

TroyArcher
10-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Hating Blackburn is just plain stupid. He is a winner and the type of guy that you want on your team.

slipknottin
10-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Hating Blackburn is just plain stupid. He is a winner

Really? You are resorting to the "hes a winner" argument?

TroyArcher
10-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Really? You are resorting to the "hes a winner" argument?

It is OK if you like losers. I prefer winners.

slipknottin
10-19-2012, 05:08 PM

And "hes a winner" is probably the most useless and meaningless phrase there is in sports.

GoDeep80
10-19-2012, 06:48 PM
has anyone realized that when he's on the field QBs NEVER test Jayron?

fansince69
10-19-2012, 07:07 PM

with that logic...we should have signed Tebow......I understand what you are saying but to base the whole argument on that .........leaves something to be desired

rtr1105
10-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Offense: Domenik Hixon. He's played real well and has made some outstanding catches. Gets overshadowed by Cruz and Nicks as well as some other good performances by the younger WRs.

Defense: Prince Amukamara. He's been great in pass coverage and plays well against the run. He also gives us much needed coverage on the outside.

tonyt830
10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I will go with Locklear and Joseph. Locklear was a very good signing by Reese in the offseason. He stepped into the LT position until Beatty was ready to come back, then slid over to RT, and has performed pretty darn good, when Diehl went down.

Joseph has also stepped it up at DT, especially with Canty starting the season on the PUP and Bernard missing the passed couple of games.

I would also consider Boothe and Stevie Brown as underrated players who have stepped up their games as well. Boothe has improved his play at G, and Brown has filled in nicely on ST when Sash was suspended and now at SS since Phillips went down to injury.