PDA

View Full Version : Wilson

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Just watching this kid's highlights from Snappin's highlight thread and I got to thinking, I don't want to get way ahead of myself, but this kid seems like a gem who could turn into one of the best in the league as early as next year.

His speed and his cutting is just phenomenal. When I watch him, I get the sense that any play could be a homerun. I just see something different from watching him play than when I watch Trent Richardson or Doug Martin, who were both ranked ahead of him in the draft.

Every week he gets more and more time, and he does more and more with it. By the time he starts carrying the heavier half of the load, whenever that is, I think he will be one of the top running backs in the league.

Flip Empty
10-18-2012, 08:08 AM
It's amazing how perceptions of him have changed, there was so much outrage at that pick. The "should've traded up for Martin" and "should've drafted Fleener" group have certainly quietened down.

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 08:20 AM
It's amazing how perceptions of him have changed, there was so much outrage at that pick. The "should've traded up for Martin" and "should've drafted Fleener" group have certainly quietened down.Yea, and after the first game "we should have drafted OL"....now our TE is great, our O line seems to be creating holes against great defenses, and everyday it seems like Wilson was the BPA.

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Yea, and after the first game "we should have drafted OL"....now our TE is great, our O line seems to be creating holes against great defenses, and everyday it seems like Wilson was the BPA.

I didn't have doubts about Wilson being BPA, and I wasn't worried about TE after we signed the Unicorn. I was, however, one of those guys that griped heavily on not selecting an OL until round 5. I had thought that with a competent OL, Jacobs (before he left) and Bradshaw would have resurgent years. At least having Beatty healthy and signing Locklear helped tremendously. And yes, it has turned out that an OL improvement helped our running game, just look at the last 2 weeks. So I was still partially right...

CDN_G-FAN
10-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Bradshaw looked alot like Wilson, not quite as explosive, but his homerun against the Bills in his breakout year had some of the same feel to it.

Things changed a little when bradshaw had to carry most of the load himself, we've all seen how its taken away some of his speed and explosiveness

i just hope Wilson listens to bradshaw and learns to run efficiently and protect himself were he can, bradshaw made comments about this is the offseason. And i want to see what he can do trying to pound it too, he'll be so much more effective if he can run really well inside.

But i have to be honest, just having someone fresh and dangerous on ST is more of a thrill than anything else right now. I love his running game as much as the next guy, but we've had some great ground attacks over the last 10 years. He's the first real threat on ST that i can remember in a long, long, time.

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Just remember that Bradshaw was a 7th rounder because his feet were a known issue. As far as anyone knows, Wilson doesn't have the same physical problems...

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Bradshaw looked alot like Wilson, not quite as explosive, but his homerun against the Bills in his breakout year had some of the same feel to it.

Things changed a little when bradshaw had to carry most of the load himself, we've all seen how its taken away some of his speed and explosiveness

i just hope Wilson listens to bradshaw and learns to run efficiently and protect himself were he can, bradshaw made comments about this is the offseason. And i want to see what he can do trying to pound it too, he'll be so much more effective if he can run really well inside.

But i have to be honest, just having someone fresh and dangerous on ST is more of a thrill than anything else right now. I love his running game as much as the next guy, but we've had some great ground attacks over the last 10 years. He's the first real threat on ST that i can remember in a long, long, time.
His returns are one thing I'm not looking forward to missing when he becomes the #1 back in the future.

CDN_G-FAN
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
I didn't have doubts about Wilson being BPA, and I wasn't worried about TE after we signed the Unicorn. I was, however, one of those guys that griped heavily on not selecting an OL until round 5. I had thought that with a competent OL, Jacobs (before he left) and Bradshaw would have resurgent years. At least having Beatty healthy and signing Locklear helped tremendously. And yes, it has turned out that an OL improvement helped our running game, just look at the last 2 weeks. So I was still partially right...

i had a conversation with an old friend who works in the CFL, its mickey mouse compared to the NFL, but there's alot of can't-make-it or retooled NFLers there too. We spent most of our time talking about front office stuff since that's where he works.

We were talking draft and he told me about a really human element in the drafting process. scouts know that their reputation is based on the success of the picks they recommend.

he was explaining that no one will remember that we needed a OL pick early in 2009, so that's why we took Huckleberry Nebraska because he was the best available OL in that round, even though their scouting showed some risks in the pick (work ethic, intelligence, coaching feedback, whatever), all they'll remember is that Huckleberry was a total bust and we wasted a 3rd round pick. Conversely, if you pick a guy who you think will definitely contribute even in a position where you look like you're set (kiwi, JPP), if the player turns out to be good, you still look like a good scout, even though you still may have holes in your roster.

of course the flipside is that if you pass over someone available in a position of need, and a few years later those players turn into starters, especially if your board had them alot lower, FOs notice that too.

Anyway, the point is we all talk about how we need OL or TE or some other position going into the draft, i guess most of us don't consider that scouts see a real downside for their careers and reputations recommending picks based mostly on need. and i don't blame them.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I look for the Giants to get a pounding style of RB in thenear future to compliment Wilson. Maybe Andre can fill that roll somewhat.
Its all about keeping theses guys fresh.

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
i had a conversation with an old friend who works in the CFL, its mickey mouse compared to the NFL, but there's alot of can't-make-it or retooled NFLers there too. We spent most of our time talking about front office stuff since that's where he works.

We were talking draft and he told me about a really human element in the drafting process. scouts know that their reputation is based on the success of the picks they recommend.

he was explaining that no one will remember that we needed a OL pick early in 2009, so that's why we took Huckleberry Nebraska because he was the best available OL in that round, even though their scouting showed some risks in the pick (work ethic, intelligence, coaching feedback, whatever), all they'll remember is that Huckleberry was a total bust and we wasted a 3rd round pick. Conversely, if you pick a guy who you think will definitely contribute even in a position where you look like you're set (kiwi, JPP), if the player turns out to be good, you still look like a good scout, even though you still may have holes in your roster.

of course the flipside is that if you pass over someone available in a position of need, and a few years later those players turn into starters, especially if your board had them alot lower, FOs notice that too.

Anyway, the point is we all talk about how we need OL or TE or some other position going into the draft, i guess most of us don't consider that scouts see a real downside for their careers and reputations recommending picks based mostly on need. and i don't blame them.its funny because a lot of people were mad because they thought taking a RB was taking a position of need as opposed to one of value, especially after Martin was off the board

GameTime
10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
its funny because a lot of people were mad because they thought taking a RB was taking a position of need as opposed to one of value, especially after Martin was off the board

yeah...I dont get into all that ****. I figure the FO knows what they are doing in the draft. I dont piss and moan abiout who they take and when they take them.

Signature NYG
10-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Yards From Scrimmage Comparison

Trent Richardson - 526 yards - on 117 total touches

Doug Martin - 431 yards - on 94 total touches

David Wilson - 630 - on 35 total touches.

Granted he returns and they don't they and start and he doesn't but they have had much more touches all around then he has.

btbrennan
10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
I think David Wilson has the potential to be a top 5, and one of the greatest backs this team's ever had. I really think he's THAT good. He just needs to hold on to the ball.

Wilson is going to be so valuable as Eli gets older when we need a more balanced attack.

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I look for the Giants to get a pounding style of RB in thenear future to compliment Wilson. Maybe Andre can fill that roll somewhat. Its all about keeping theses guys fresh. I think they're both already here

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 10:08 AM
yeah...I dont get into all that ****. I figure the FO knows what they are doing in the draft. I dont piss and moan abiout who they take and when they take them. AMEN

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I think David Wilson has the potential to be a top 5, and one of the greatest backs this team's ever had. I really think he's THAT good. He just needs to hold on to the ball.

Wilson is going to be so valuable as Eli gets older when we need a more balanced attack.

More importantly, we're going to need him when Eli's days are over and we no longer have an elite QB...

CDN_G-FAN
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
AMEN

+1

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 10:25 AM
More importantly, we're going to need him when Eli's days are over and we no longer have an elite QB...As much as I never want the Eli days to end, this doesn't necessarily mean we won't have an elite QB after him.

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
As much as I never want the Eli days to end, this doesn't necessarily mean we won't have an elite QB after him.

True, the Packers had Rodgers immediately follow up Favre, but now Rodgers isn't looking so elite anymore with a porous O-line. I thought he was a product of his system when I saw Matt Flynn, a guy who lost his job to Russel freaking Wilson, throw for 6 TDs last year.

Point is, we need a strong system going forward to handle Eli's eventual decline and retirement.

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
True, the Packers had Rodgers immediately follow up Favre, but now Rodgers isn't looking so elite anymore with a porous O-line. I thought he was a product of his system when I saw Matt Flynn, a guy who lost his job to Russel freaking Wilson, throw for 6 TDs last year.

Point is, we need a strong system going forward to handle Eli's eventual decline and retirement.I trust in our FO to find someone that's competent or even move up to take the right guy.

I don't know how our team will look like at that time, but if our team is solid, we won't need a QB that's already elite coming out of college. If the rest of our team is dominant, we can get another QB like Eli who will take some time to reach his peak.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Granted he returns and they don't they and start and he doesn't but they have had much more touches all around then he has.
come on dude....thats just bogus....

Antone78
10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Just remember that Bradshaw was a 7th rounder because his feet were a known issue. As far as anyone knows, Wilson doesn't have the same physical problems...

Actually, wasn't his late draft selection mainly because of his legal problems in college? Remember, he even served jail time as a Giant one of his first summers because of those problems.

btbrennan
10-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Actually, wasn't his late draft selection mainly because of his legal problems in college? Remember, he even served jail time as a Giant one of his first summers because of those problems.

Yup, that's correct. I'm not sure he had any major injury problems in college. It seems to be more plausible that he was drafted late because of his legal issues and Marshall is a fairly small football program.

Signature NYG
10-18-2012, 10:57 AM
come on dude....thats just bogus....

I miss quoted it, Not yards from scrimmage, All purpose yards. With TR and DM it was yards from scrimmage because they dont return.

My bad.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I miss quoted it, Not yards from scrimmage, All purpose yards. With TR and DM it was yards from scrimmage because they dont return.

My bad.
no biggie just busting your balls. They dont return kicks so lets see at the ned of the season a yards per carry type of thing....

BlueJayC
10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Whatever "IT" is he has it.....like you said you just see that "wow" factor that he has as soon as he touches the ball.....

It was garbage time on Sunday and Wilson was getting carries.....my buddy who's 36 starts giggle'ing like a school girl.....I said what's up and he just said he was laughing because he could tell down the line that Wilson is gonna be a good one.......and then continued to giggle like a little school girl.

RagTime Blue
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
no biggie just busting your balls. They dont return kicks so lets see at the ned of the season a yards per carry type of thing....

I see what you're saying. . .as far as being a better back. If Wilson catches a kickoff 5 yards in and takes it back to the 15, that's a 20-yard touch.

But a yard is a yard. Bringing us closer to the endzone or FG.

As far as team contribution goes, Wilson is right there in the mix.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 11:35 AM
I see what you're saying. . .as far as being a better back. If Wilson catches a kickoff 5 yards in and takes it back to the 15, that's a 20-yard touch.

But a yard is a yard. Bringing us closer to the endzone or FG.

As far as team contribution goes, Wilson is right there in the mix.
agreed...100%

rainierjef
10-18-2012, 01:12 PM
yeah...I dont get into all that ****. I figure the FO knows what they are doing in the draft. I dont piss and moan abiout who they take and when they take them.

It is certainly not a matter of thinking an individual knows more than the scouts or FO. What it essentially boils down to is paying close attention to the college games and knowing the players that are eligable, rating them yourselves and seeing who you would like as a player for your team. granted the scouts know more and have more access than us, but the people that do pay attention to this stuff and the players eligable or drafted, serve as liasions for other posters that don't know an just want a pulse on the guy the team just drafted.

gmen0820
10-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Granted he returns and they don't they and start and he doesn't but they have had much more touches all around then he has.Good point, let's take this even further.

Darius Reynaud: 627 yards on 29 touches.

NJAquaman
10-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Point is, we need a strong system going forward to handle Eli's eventual decline and retirement. Good point but Rodgers is STILL Elite...

JimC
10-18-2012, 02:08 PM

What's your point? You are not comparing apples to apples. Wilson gets a kickoff to the 20 and its a 20 yard gain!