PDA

View Full Version : Eli Intelligence Leads to Lack Of Sacks

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...OgMV0OaCnHKzaO (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/eli_intelligence_leads_to_lack_of_Y5qlO4MyOgMV0OaC nHKzaO)

Excerpt: "David Carr never has seen it before and never has noticed anyone else do it. Only Eli Manning. It is unique, and one of the reasons why Manning is the least-sacked quarterback in the NFL.

When the ball is thrown amid pressure in the pocket, most quarterbacks first fix their eyes downfield to see if the pass is complete. Manning looks elsewhere.

“The biggest thing that stands out about him, and it’s kind of hard to notice if you’re not in the meeting room with him, you notice after he throws the ball, if he gets hit he looks at the number,’’ Carr, the Giants backup quarterback, said yesterday. “Who hit me? It kind of catalogues, it registers in his brain. Where was that protection? Where were we weak a little bit? Where was that breakdown? Where could it possibly have been? Can I get the ball out faster? He’s done that since I’ve been here.’’ Read more...

Mohann
10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
great article

"Asked to compare Manning to RG3, guard Chris Snee said, “Clearly if there was a race, 100 yards, I think [RG3] would beat Eli by 30.’’

TextureDj
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
The end of the article makes me think how incredible it would be to see a video of Elis' eluding the pressure. Even the times when he eludes it by getting hammered the second the ball is released.

Wish I ahd either the collection of footage or creativity in video editing to put it together. I have the technical chops, but i lack the creative knack thatr some of you folks have for making highlight reels. Hats off to you.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
very cool read...thanks..
Eli is elusive in the pocket. His pocket awareness is incredible. Plus he is a student. He is always looking to improve. Not every QB does that.

TrueBlue@NYC
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
It's all about being a cohesive unit. Eli and Baas put them in the right protections and the OL and backs all executive their blocks. Everyone holds a big piece to the puzzle.

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Eli is elusive in the pocket. His pocket awareness is incredible. Plus he is a student. He is always looking to improve. Not every QB does that.

I have always marveled at his ability to get up after being leveled, straighten out his uniform, and just go back to the huddle. Whatever else Eli is he is TOUGH

yoeddy
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I have always marveled at his ability to get up after being leveled, straighten out his uniform, and just go back to the huddle. Whatever else Eli is he is TOUGH

Yes...and all the while, he has that "aw shucks" look...incredible...

GameTime
10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
yes he is.....no doubt. Also never points a finger or throws an olineman or their performance under the bus.

timmytimm3
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
yes he is.....no doubt. Also never points a finger or throws an olineman or their performance under the bus.

Or looks to the refs crying for a flag. Like some other well known QBs...

Ruttiger711
10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Or looks to the refs crying for a flag. Like some other well known QBs...

He'll look at the ref when it's warranted - unlike Brady who tries to coerce a flag if his shoe gets untied from a play.

giantsfan420
10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
i forget but there was pff stat where eli was like the best qb when under pressure. he had the highest qb rating, completion % and yardage. it was for last year iirc. but watching him this year im positive he'll be up around 1rst again this year.
what people used to knock eli for repeatedly was throwing off his back foot. well yeah, when theres a clean pocket, throwing off the back foot is lazy. a clean pocket is a luxury in the nfl, except for a few teams like NE but even their OL is struggling now...but back to my point, Steve Young, Dilfer, Jaws, any analyst who was a QB in the nfl will tell u the qb has to have the ability to make throws off the back foot. in this regard, i believe eli is the most accurate qb in the league. the throws he makes under pressure is just put me in awe. this past game vs SF, Eli made a handful of throws on the run under pressure that were placed absolutely perfectly.

now, granted, eli has "chucked and ducked" some ints...but it comes with the territory of having a QB who can go 8 yrs w/o missing a game. and really, it was only 1 yr where it was really an issue and that was 2010 (when the OL was regressing and eli may have been trying to do too much to compensate for the D he saw in 2009?)

and a lot of credit needs to go to KG. the whole "study ur opponent while ur playing them" is something KG utilizes. he's said a bunch of times (and i dunno sometimes i think its good and others i dislike it) but KG does NOT script the first 2 series like almost every other team does. he actually calls somewhat generic plays to get a feel for what the D will do vs certain offensive looks. then the chess game starts from there and KG has had great offenses throughout his tenure here...i think that helped eli w his approach to study the D while he's facing them

BigBlue wins
10-18-2012, 01:56 PM

San Fran playoff game comes to light. Eli just got up :)

GreenZone
10-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Possibly the best, if not a top five best article of the year. Such a pleasant change from the usual trite regurgitation that Schwartz usually offers.

Excellent work. Who knew he had it in him? Now, he's set the bar high and has a yardstick out there in the public for all to see.

tuck&rolle
10-19-2012, 01:25 AM
i forget but there was pff stat where eli was like the best qb when under pressure. he had the highest qb rating, completion % and yardage. it was for last year iirc. but watching him this year im positive he'll be up around 1rst again this year.
what people used to knock eli for repeatedly was throwing off his back foot. well yeah, when theres a clean pocket, throwing off the back foot is lazy. a clean pocket is a luxury in the nfl, except for a few teams like NE but even their OL is struggling now...but back to my point, Steve Young, Dilfer, Jaws, any analyst who was a QB in the nfl will tell u the qb has to have the ability to make throws off the back foot. in this regard, i believe eli is the most accurate qb in the league. the throws he makes under pressure is just put me in awe. this past game vs SF, Eli made a handful of throws on the run under pressure that were placed absolutely perfectly.

now, granted, eli has "chucked and ducked" some ints...but it comes with the territory of having a QB who can go 8 yrs w/o missing a game. and really, it was only 1 yr where it was really an issue and that was 2010 (when the OL was regressing and eli may have been trying to do too much to compensate for the D he saw in 2009?)

and a lot of credit needs to go to KG. the whole "study ur opponent while ur playing them" is something KG utilizes. he's said a bunch of times (and i dunno sometimes i think its good and others i dislike it) but KG does NOT script the first 2 series like almost every other team does. he actually calls somewhat generic plays to get a feel for what the D will do vs certain offensive looks. then the chess game starts from there and KG has had great offenses throughout his tenure here...i think that helped eli w his approach to study the D while he's facing them

PFF loved Eli last year precisely because of his ability to avoid pressure. They had Diehl and McKenzie rated as some of the worst linemen in the league and marveled at Eli's ability to perform under pressure

Toadofsteel
10-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Yes...and all the while, he has that "aw shucks" look...incredible...

That has to be disheartening to defenses after 30+ minutes of that. The whole point of pressure (outside getting the sack at least) is to make the QB force bad decisions. Eli just can't be thrown off his game once he's on it. It's a unique quality that in modern QBs I only see in Eli (and a little bit in his brother, although i'm not sure if Peyton has ever called out an Oline man or not)...

Rusty192
10-19-2012, 01:43 AM
and a lot of credit needs to go to KG. the whole "study ur opponent while ur playing them" is something KG utilizes. he's said a bunch of times (and i dunno sometimes i think its good and others i dislike it) but KG does NOT script the first 2 series like almost every other team does. he actually calls somewhat generic plays to get a feel for what the D will do vs certain offensive looks. then the chess game starts from there and KG has had great offenses throughout his tenure here...i think that helped eli w his approach to study the D while he's facing themAgreed. Except KG goes into dopey mode when we play the Eagles. He hasn't called a good game against those turds except once - last year when we beat them.

miked1958
10-19-2012, 01:47 AM
very cool read...thanks..Eli is elusive in the pocket. His pocket awareness is incredible. Plus he is a student. He is always looking to improve. Not every QB does that.thats why the trade was worth its weight in Gold!!!

Toadofsteel
10-19-2012, 01:50 AM

This might explain why we always seem to start slow and finish strong...

Captain Chaos
10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Nice article thanks, I guess if your that slow you really have to make sure you do the little things to keep yourself upright!

BurnerNYG
10-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Eli is elusive in the pocket. His pocket awareness is incredible. Plus he is a student. He is always looking to improve. Not every QB does that.Bingo. That's what it takes to be successful in this league and nothing else.

Rat_bastich
10-19-2012, 07:18 AM
I was watching Domenik Hixon talking to Suzy Kolber today and he mentioned that when he first got there Eli would correct receivers on their routes and stuff. He said that still when receivers come to the huddle he tells them where they should've been. He also said that Eli would even know what the Giants defense was supposed to be doing and where the players were suppoosed to be lining up.

I'm not sure if there are better or more thorough students of the game currently than the Mannings. Their football IQ is probably off the charts.

GameTime
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Bingo. That's what it takes to be successful in this league and nothing else.
thats very true. Most players think just having another year of experience makes you automatically better. Thats not the case.
You have to work hard at improving.

GMan-67
10-19-2012, 11:01 AM
football is the ultimate team sport

and football is a game of inches

if Eli is decisive, if he is pretty confident pre-snap where he's going

if the WRs are getting open quickly

then Eli can get the ball out on time

and all that helps the O-line ... it gives them just a bit more margin for error ... a few split seconds can make all the difference in the world

cken
10-19-2012, 11:23 AM
That has to be disheartening to defenses after 30+ minutes of that. The whole point of pressure (outside getting the sack at least) is to make the QB force bad decisions. Eli just can't be thrown off his game once he's on it. It's a unique quality that in modern QBs I only see in Eli (and a little bit in his brother, although i'm not sure if Peyton has ever called out an Oline man or not)...

Peyton called out Jeff Saturday before once on the sidelines when they were arguing whether to run or pass in the redzone. Peyton passed three and out on first and goal a few times and got Saturday pissed.

Drez
10-19-2012, 11:42 AM
And this is why I've always said that looking at sacks given up is a flawed stat to look at for OL performance. Granted, the OL has pulled together this year, but Eli's been making the OL look better than they were for the past couple of seasons.