PDA

View Full Version : Is This Real? The Niners Get Blown Out (Barnwell, Grantland)

G-Men4Supes
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/40007/is-this-real-the-niners-get-blown-out

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Good read, thanks for the post.

BlueJayC
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
It read like a Niner's excuse article....the author from San Fran? Kept scrolling down to where he was going to touch upon the fact that the final score should've been 48-3 as the Giants were inside the Niners 20 all day yet only came away with 26 points......but instead the author makes it sound like the Giants came away with another lucky win.

nygpolishpunk
10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
overall not a bad article but it does seem like a big excuse for the Niners. The Niners defense did play well, allowing only 2 TDs and forcing a bunch of FGs. Normally that's good enough. Except this time our defense was a lot better.

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah I mean I'd say the niners defense didn't really break that much (although it wasn't as solid as it was the previous two weeks when playing scrub teams). It was their offense that completely puttered out while our defense stepped up...

FBomb
10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
It read like a Niner's excuse article....the author from San Fran? Kept scrolling down to where he was going to touch upon the fact that the final score should've been 48-3 as the Giants were inside the Niners 20 all day yet only came away with 26 points......but instead the author makes it sound like the Giants came away with another lucky win.

I got the same impression. He seemed pretty impressed with how SF "dominated" the first qtr and had a 3-0 lead.

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Here is the summary.....seems fair to me....

Niners fans and Giants fans each have positives and negatives they can take away from this game. For the Giants, the only real negative is how they played during the first quarter; they ran the ball effectively on the league's best run defense, forced Alex Smith into stupid mistakes, and were both efficient and effective through the air. Niners fans can point to that dominant first quarter and try to forget about everything else. The Giants were the better team on Sunday and deserved to win, even if the final score flattered them a bit. If these two teams played 100 times, though, the margin of victory wouldn't often be more than a touchdown. In reality, the differences between these two teams more closely resemble the NFC championship game than the blowout we saw on Sunday.

coachbobbyfinst
10-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Barnwell typically writes the gambling stuff for Grantland. My 'bet' is that he had some $$ on SF and that article helps justify his wager(s) in his own mind!!

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Also, this.....

After everything, though, the most notable aspect of the game was what the Giants did on their last meaningful drive. The Giants took over with 9:07 left on their own 14-yard line with a 20-point lead and promptly ran the ball down the 49ers' collective throat. Each of the 12 plays on the drive were runs, and they started with three consecutive carries of 10 yards or more, which obviously all produced first downs. San Francisco has only allowed 12 runs of 10 yards or more this season; seven of them were by the Giants, and four of them were on this drive alone. After allowing Ahmad Bradshaw just 23 yards on 11 carries during the first half, Bradshaw and David Wilson combined for 123 yards on 28 carries during the final 30 minutes.

Most of New York's successful runs came right up the gut — literally, either directly behind the center or in the A-gaps — and involved excellent work by their interior linemen, both on the line of scrimmage and at the second level. They brought back Pro Bowl lineman David Diehl for this game after he sat out four games with a knee injury, but the Giants used him as a sixth lineman on running downs as opposed to giving him a starting job at left guard or right tackle. And while I'm scared to say this, it's true: The Giants were able to run the ball in part because star inside linebackers Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman just didn't play very well against the run for the 49ers, especially in the fourth quarter. When you watch that quarter on film, you see the usually superb Willis and Bowman getting easily caught up in traffic or sealed off from affecting the play, over and over again. It's something Matt Millen also noticed when he watched the tape, a move that inspired "You can't do what I do, media outsider" criticism from Willis before Willis realized that Millen was once an All-Pro linebacker. This one seems more like a bad day at the office than anything else; the Niners could easily have been gassed after all those turnovers and extra possessions, and the Giants did a great job of getting their guards (and fullback Henry Hynoski) to the second level to interfere.

Toadofsteel
10-18-2012, 04:12 PM
It honestly reads more like a niners fan that is just emerging from shock at what happened on Sunday. I remember after Dodge-gate that I wasn't right in the head for 2 weeks...

Giantz4Life
10-18-2012, 04:15 PM
I love objectively written articles

coachbobbyfinst
10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
guys you're not listening, hes not a niners fan. he is a gambler and prob lost a buncha money on them!! plus, he thinks he is a gangsta, but he's way more of a wanksta!!!!

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm curious as to what people are reading in the article that makes it sound like he's making excuses.

I read the article and he indicates the main reason the Giants won is because they forced turnovers and jammed the ball down the Niner's throat.

BlueJayC
10-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm curious as to what people are reading in the article that makes it sound like he's making excuses.

I read the article and he indicates the main reason the Giants won is because they forced turnovers and jammed the ball down the Niner's throat.

He focuses on the Niners shortcomings and rambles on for two paragraphs about how Akers blows rather then give the Giants their due......touches on how they were able to expose the middle of the Niners line and that's pretty much it......not the fact that they dominated across the board on offense, defense and Special Teams......Niners didn't do this and that......not the Giants did do this and that.

I've been there as a gambler myself.....if he is one then this completely explains the article......trying to convince himself he made the right pick even though he lost.

Giantz4Life
10-18-2012, 04:37 PM

But can you deny the lingering sense of 49er favoritism here?

And while I'm scared to say this, it's true: The Giants were able to run the ball in part because star inside linebackers Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman just didn't play very well against the run for the 49ers, especially in the fourth quarter.

Why would he say I'm scared to say this if he wasn't showing a hint of favoritism? No objective sports writer would throw that line in unless he was a 49er fan and was scared about the 49ers ability to stop the run.

You would think if he was being objective he would start the sentence off something like: "What was most surprising...."

TheEnigma
10-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I agree with the end of the article that most of the time, the Giants wouldn't beat the 49ers this severe like we did last Sunday or vice versa. What that game showed to me is that Harbaugh isn't used to his 49ers team playing so far from behind and that he most likely never prepared adequately for such a scenario. I'm still trying to wrap my head around taking your QB off the field after he threw a 55 yard pass to Randy Moss to put in the young and raw Kaerpernick It's like he was just tossing everything at us in the kitchen cabinet and hoping something would work. Lots of the 49ers playcalling at the 2nd half and beyond reeked of desperation.

Manning
10-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Bill Barnwell is a well documented Giants fan. Stop being so butt hurt.

If you listen to Bill Simmons you would know this... Proof for those who don't believe me: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/outside-foxborough/2006/fo-bsmw-deion-branch-worth-huge-contract

Giantz4Life
10-18-2012, 04:51 PM

I don't think anyone is "butt hurt" about the article...we won this game handily, and we all know that.

It's just a poorly written and worded article IMO.

He gives the Giants plenty of credit, but there are parts where it seems like he is referring to a fluky win like many 49ers were claiming.

BlueJayC
10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
If you listen to Bill Simmons you would know this... Proof for those who don't believe me: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/outside-foxborough/2006/fo-bsmw-deion-branch-worth-huge-contract

There's your problem right there Simmons is the end all worst........awful awful awful.......I'm not butt hurt either......if anything the Niners took it up the whazoo not us....

Manning
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Bill Simmons is entertaining, I don't go to him for indepth objective reporting

FBomb
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Why would anyone be "butt hurt" over this? I swear.....some posters say the dumbest things.

Manning
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
So many posters on this message board get butt hurt over any announcer or writer that says or writes anything negative.

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
But can you deny the lingering sense of 49er favoritism here?

Why would he say I'm scared to say this if he wasn't showing a hint of favoritism? No objective sports writer would throw that line in unless he was a 49er fan and was scared about the 49ers ability to stop the run.

You would think if he was being objective he would start the sentence off something like: "What was most surprising...."

I really don't know anything about the writer, but he came across to me as someone who covers the 49ers on a regular basis.

The general tone I read was one of surprise at how the 49ers played, mixed with praise of the Giants effort.

Speaking for myself, I was surprised that the Giants kicked their ***, and impressed with how effective the running game was....so reading the article seemed to just confirm my reaction as well.

slipknottin
10-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Barnwell is a damn good writer, and has written some great giants stuff in the past.

That said, this article other than the play break downs was not that good.

DVision
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
The comments by Roger Pink are the best part of the article! He has some very insightful comments and stats on the Giants success during the Coughlin era!

Giantz4Life
10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
I really don't know anything about the writer, but he came across to me as someone who covers the 49ers on a regular basis.

The general tone I read was one of surprise at how the 49ers played, mixed with praise of the Giants effort.

Speaking for myself, I was surprised that the Giants kicked their ***, and impressed with how effective the running game was....so reading the article seemed to just confirm my reaction as well.

Yeah I hear you. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Barnwell, but that is just the vibe I got from the article.

To each his own I guess.

Captain Chaos
10-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Good writers lay and egg every now and again, sounded like he needed a little cheese with that whine!