PDA

View Full Version : David Diehl's Role As Jumbo Tackle "First Step" Back From Knee Injury

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 06:58 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/david_diehls_role_as_jumbo_tac.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "David Diehl played in last week's game at San Francisco for the first time since spraining his knee in Week 2. It was also the first time the 10-year veteran offensive lineman has played in a game but not started.

Diehl played 13 snaps as a jumbo tight end against the 49ers -- what offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride called "the first step of a few steps back."

"Little by little, we’ll play it out to the point where we can lean on him full time," Gilbride said, adding: "You’re not asking him to play 75 plays, you’re asking him to play a limited number and do just a limited of things, not everything that would be required of a tackle. And he passed the first test."

Gilbride's answer seems to indicate the Giants are phasing Diehl back in to his starting job. The Giants began the season with Diehl at right tackle and Sean Locklear at left tackle. After Diehl's injury, Locklear moved to right tackle, and Will Beatty returned from a back injury to his left tackle job." Read more...

KidA
10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Are you kidding me? This is the best our offensive line has looked in a couple of years. Leave it like it is!

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Are you kidding me? This is the best our offensive line has looked in a couple of years. Leave it like it is!

Did you read the whole article, they say just that.

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
The good think about Diehl is that he's very versatile. I trust the coaching staff to have the right guys in there.

GameTime
10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
oh stop already and read the article......
Diehl will not start again unless someone gets hurt. He has 10 seasons of tough oline play. Give the guy his due.

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
The good think about Diehl is that he's very versatile. I trust the coaching staff to have the right guys in there.

Having Diehl in the rotation is not a bad thing.

RoanokeFan
10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Diehl will not start again unless someone gets hurt. He has 10 seasons of tough oline play. Give the guy his due.

+1

joemorrisforprez
10-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Agreed..... 2 Super Bowls, and people are treating him like he's a bum.

He's one of my favorite Giants.

offingmoot
10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
This is great news!
We all remember when ohara was out and came back for that eagles game and we lost as usual to them. The line had a nice groove at the time and they messed it up.
This quote from gilbride is exactly what we want to hear. Diehl will be the swing tackle. Only used on certain plays. One could say he would only come on jumbo packages.
He would also be the 6th lineman and be a great sub if someone should need to sit a game or two.

"Right now, I’m delighted with the way we’re playing," Gilbride said. "We’ll cross that hurdle when we have to. It just gives us some additional flexibility."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/david_diehls_role_as_jumbo_tac.html

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Gilbride's answer seems to indicate the Giants are phasing Diehl back in to his starting job.

I think its just the opposite. The Giants coaching staff knows that this line-up is working, and that if something isnt broke, dont fix it!

They need an excuse to give Diehl 10 snaps a game for the rest of the season...

GameTime
10-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I think its just the opposite. The Giants coaching staff knows that this line-up is working, and that if something isnt broke, dont fix it!

They need an excuse to give Diehl 10 snaps a game for the rest of the season...
IMO DD knows the whats happening and true to his dedication as a Giants he will do what ever is asked.

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
IMO DD knows the whats happening and true to his dedication as a Giants he will do what ever is asked.

Sadly, I think you may be right...

drewz
10-18-2012, 08:31 PM
On the interception that Eli almost threw which Carlos Rodgers dropped, guess who gave up the pressure? Of course David Diehl.. didn't even get a finger on Ahmad Brooks as he flew right passed him.. keep him on the bench

nycisgreat
10-18-2012, 08:37 PM

That is why Diehl is playing as the jumbo tight end. The coaching staff agree with you. He is going to play sparingly. He isn't coming back on a full time basis.

nygsince1983
10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Props to David the real Diehl
Any idiot who thinks the giants don't need Big David
Are the same people who think, when someone has a bad game they should be cut.

Captain Chaos
10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Locklear I think is not doing as well as many may think; however, I think Diehl has a ways to go before he can take Locklear's spot!

KidA
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Did you read the whole article, they say just that.

Yeah, but they also say he is being eased back to playing full-time.

Whatever the case, he is valuable as a backup but he shouldn't be a starter moving forward.