PDA

View Full Version : Illegal chop blocking

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 11:29 PM
The Giants got called for this last week which was absolute BS.

Now the Seahawks essentially lose the game due to a safety for another one of these BS calls. Was anyone watching that? Smith was 'engaged' with the OT and the guard came over to help out and hit him in the gut/waist area and knocked him on his ***. Absolute legal play.

Besides, the niners have scored 1...ONE touchdown in two games and barely beat the seahawks. They aren't as good as everyone thinks I dont get it..

egyptian420
10-18-2012, 11:33 PM
That was a horse#### call, I don't think that was an intentional chop block, the guy's momentum just carried him.

Can't believe this game got decided based on such a wack call

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
IMO the Seahawks are offensively HORRIBLE and slightly above average on defense. The fact that "the best team in football 49ers" won in that fashion says nothing about the niners. They are mediocre. Plain and simple.

PETEY006
10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
They didn't lose to a safety. The 49ers declined the penalty instead. They measured and reviewed the pass... it was short of a first down.

But it was a bad call by Jim Harbarugh b/c a safety would've put them up by 2 possession (15-6) with the ball and b/c the 4th down play was very close, i would've taken the safety and the ball back (of course Seattle would've tried an onside kick but 49ers would've been prepared)

CowboysSuck
10-18-2012, 11:45 PM
True, but you never know what could have happened that play. What if Wilson threw a 60 yard pass? Or a touchdown?

It wouldn't have counted due to a penalty that didnt exist...

tuck&rolle
10-19-2012, 12:10 AM
The Giants got called for this last week which was absolute BS.

Now the Seahawks essentially lose the game due to a safety for another one of these BS calls. Was anyone watching that? Smith was 'engaged' with the OT and the guard came over to help out and hit him in the gut/waist area and knocked him on his ***. Absolute legal play.

Besides, the niners have scored 1...ONE touchdown in two games and barely beat the seahawks. They aren't as good as everyone thinks I dont get it..

As a matter of fact, I agree with the flag there. That's a textbook chop block and the penalty is designed to protect the players, as many penalties are nowadays. It had no impact on the game, as Harbaugh declined the penalty. My best guess on that is that he didn't want to risk injury on the punt return. But, definitely a justified call. Just because it was in a critical spot doesn't mean that it was illegitimate

miked1958
10-19-2012, 12:51 AM
They didn't lose to a safety. The 49ers declined the penalty instead. They measured and reviewed the pass... it was short of a first down.But it was a bad call by Jim Harbarugh b/c a safety would've put them up by 2 possession (15-6) with the ball and b/c the 4th down play was very close, i would've taken the safety and the ball back (of course Seattle would've tried an onside kick but 49ers would've been prepared)i was wondering the same thing as to why he declined the penalty. Why not take a two possession lead with 50 seconds left??? What was his logic?? What if there was a bad exchange between the center and smith on the kneel down? Highly unlikely but you never know

Toadofsteel
10-19-2012, 12:56 AM
i was wondering the same thing as to why he declined the penalty. Why not take a two possession lead with 50 seconds left??? What was his logic?? What if there was a bad exchange between the center and smith on the kneel down? Highly unlikely but you never know

Maybe he was afraid Pete Caroll (for all intents and purposes his coaching arch-rival) would pull a Schiano on him?

Diamondring
10-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Seahawks have a good defense and are the 49ers rivers in their own division. A lot of times we say games withint the division are hard. The play was illegal.

Another thing, Harbough decline the penalty cause he didn't have to take it so why just end the game anyways cause the seattle didn't get the first.

Diamondring
10-19-2012, 05:05 AM
i was wondering the same thing as to why he declined the penalty. Why not take a two possession lead with 50 seconds left??? What was his logic?? What if there was a bad exchange between the center and smith on the kneel down? Highly unlikely but you never knowIt made sense to me.

CowboysSuck
10-19-2012, 08:52 AM
It was not called right. Do you guys even know what an illegal chop block is? Its not 'pushing' someone' in the waist...Lol

FBomb
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
It was a BS call, but it in no way cost the Seahawks the game.

njg85m
10-19-2012, 09:16 AM
I think Harbaugh had a brain fart when he declined that penalty. Really seemed like he forgot that the spot of the ball would be under review.

CDN_G-FAN
10-19-2012, 09:32 AM
i don't mind them being overly sensitive about chop blocks. i don't like bad calls, but i understand.

i think of them as dirty dirty plays and i wish they would expand the rules to require higher blocks, especially on the line. there's all kinds of loopholes that zone blocking teams have to block really low.

JesseJames
10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
this explains the chop block rule pretty clearly:

Here’s the official rule, which a league source has forwarded to PFT: “On a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, chops a defensive player after the defensive player has been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial alignment of A2 is more than one position away from A1. The rule applies only when the block occurs at a time when the flow of the play is clearly away from A1.”

And so, if the center hits a guy high and a tackle hits him low, it’s a penalty. When it’s a center and one of the two guards, the chop block is not illegal.

Diamondring
10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
It was not called right. Do you guys even know what an illegal chop block is? Its not 'pushing' someone' in the waist...LolAsk the refs do they know since they made the call and nobody in NFL.com is talking about it. Until they do it was the right call. One was blocking high the the other went low. Can't do that but we will see.

Morehead State
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
They didn't lose to a safety. The 49ers declined the penalty instead. They measured and reviewed the pass... it was short of a first down.

But it was a bad call by Jim Harbarugh b/c a safety would've put them up by 2 possession (15-6) with the ball and b/c the 4th down play was very close, i would've taken the safety and the ball back (of course Seattle would've tried an onside kick but 49ers would've been prepared)
It was a good call by Harbaugh. If its short the game is over. 2 kneeldowns. If they took the safety, they could on side and still had a (tiny) chance. If they take the play, they have zero chance.
Not sure why you think its a bad call by Harbaugh.

Morehead State
10-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I think Harbaugh had a brain fart when he declined that penalty. Really seemed like he forgot that the spot of the ball would be under review.
If it was ruled a first down, he would have taken the penalty. You could see him confirming with the refs that he could. It was a good call. I mean it really didn't matter, but taking the play ended the game. Taking the penalty would have continued the game.
I'm not sure what the point is here about Harbaugh's call. Seems like the right decision to me. Even a crazy person can make the right call.

FBomb
10-19-2012, 10:42 AM
It was a good call by Harbaugh. If its short the game is over. 2 kneeldowns. If they took the safety, they could on side and still had a (tiny) chance. If they take the play, they have zero chance.

This.....Harbough even had them review the spot before declining the penalty.

Morehead State
10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
This.....Harbough even had them review the spot before declining the penalty.
I'll take your love when I can get it.

FBomb
10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I'll take your love when I can get it.

You always have it!!!

njg85m
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
If it was ruled a first down, he would have taken the penalty. You could see him confirming with the refs that he could. It was a good call. I mean it really didn't matter, but taking the play ended the game. Taking the penalty would have continued the game.
I'm not sure what the point is here about Harbaugh's call. Seems like the right decision to me. Even a crazy person can make the right call.

My point is that when he declines the penalty and requests a measurement even when it's short the spot is then subject to review, which it was.
It's not like the receiver was short by 2 yards, he was less than a foot short. Had that ball been re-spotted and it resulted in a first down, Harbaugh would have looked like a complete moron.

FBomb
10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
He didn't decline the penalty until AFTER the spot was reviewed.

Morehead State
10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
My point is that when he declines the penalty and requests a measurement even when it's short the spot is then subject to review, which it was.
It's not like the receiver was short by 2 yards, he was less than a foot short. Had that ball been re-spotted and it resulted in a first down, Harbaugh would have looked like a complete moron.
I think you're not understanding what he did there. he declined the penalty only if it was ruled short of the spot. If there was a review it didn't matter. If the review showed he got the first down, he still had the option to accept the penalty, which he would have.
He made the right call there.

giantsforce
10-19-2012, 12:18 PM

But it was a bad call by Jim Harbarugh b/c a safety would've put them up by 2 possession (15-6) with the ball and b/c the 4th down play was very close, i would've taken the safety and the ball back (of course Seattle would've tried an onside kick but 49ers would've been prepared)Baltimore was prepared too for the Dallas on site kick. what happened? Harbaugh was right to decline the penalty. Seattle had no timeouts and a kneel down did it. Extending the play could have produced injuries, so he did the right thing by declining the penalty and taking a knee, (unless of course the opposing coach is ******* Schiano.)

PRGiant
10-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Can you onside after a safety? It's a punt/free kick, not a kickoff?

Morehead State
10-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Can you onside after a safety? It's a punt/free kick, not a kickoff?
Yes. Its a live ball after 10 yards.