PDA

View Full Version : Has any QB improved for 9 straight years the way Eli has?

pj18
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
It's honestly amazing how Eli has literally gotten better every single year and seems like he's yet to hit his ceiling on how good he can be. 9 years and counting and he continues to get better and smarter. How is this possible? Has this ever happened?

I know Elway ended his career with 2 SB wins, which is awesome, but he was already past his prime. His first win was when I first started watching football.

Eli has certainly frustrated us fans, and I'm sure still will at times, but it's remarkable how evident his improvements have become yearly. When they first won in 2007 I knew he could do it again, which is why I was so frustrated from 2008-2010 (basically the 2009 and 2010 seasons).

gumby74
10-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Their stats the first 7 years are very, very close. Then all 3 have exploded after that.

pj18
10-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Their stats the first 7 years are very, very close. Then all 3 have exploded after that.I'm not really referring to stats. Brees has been pretty consistent in all of his New Orleans years and just needed a better team around him. Brady has seemingly been the same player for a while now. It's not a knock at either of them - I've just watched them both pretty consistently over the years and their performance doesn't seem to have changed as much the way you can see it has in Eli.

Kruunch
10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm not really referring to stats. Brees has been pretty consistent in all of his New Orleans years and just needed a better team around him. Brady has seemingly been the same player for a while now. It's not a knock at either of them - I've just watched them both pretty consistently over the years and their performance doesn't seem to have changed as much the way you can see it has in Eli.

All QBs have a maturation process. Some flash early, especially the highlight grabbers (i.e. Vick), some grow more slowly (Eli) and some don't flash until they're in the right situation (Plunkett).

I think what you're seeing with Eli is less a slow growth by him (he did the 4th quarter come back thing his rookie year against Dallas) than the evolution of our offense. We were a running / screen team up until 2007. After Tiki left the team, the dynamic around which our offense operated changed from a single focus (Tiki) to a multi-focus (more balanced) and ever since then, you've seen that regardless of personnel (except Eli of course) we can excel.

Diamondring
10-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Very good all of yah.

FBomb
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Another one?.......I think you guys are just trying to make morehead's head explode!!

I DECLARE SHENANIGANS!!!

jax5338
10-19-2012, 04:10 PM
cue all of the posters who claim to be "so sick of all these eli threads" yet are major players in them ending up 40+ pages long....

LOVE THAT ELI

Harooni
10-19-2012, 07:59 PM
jax they secretly like the back and forth between realists and homers.

nygsince1983
10-19-2012, 08:06 PM
#17 David Brown??:confused:

gumby74
10-19-2012, 09:20 PM
cue all of the posters who claim to be "so sick of all these eli threads" yet are major players in them ending up 40+ pages long....

LOVE THAT ELI

Eli threads are the best.

zimonami
10-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Eli time won't last forever, and he's got more years behind him then ahead... so, enjoy whatever we get with him, If we have any depth we'll always be in the hunt with Eli.
It's not hard to understand that Eli gets better every year. He seriously works on getting better every year. Both he and Peyton are tireless workers when it comes to improving. Nice to see some athletes can get to the top and still not rest on their laurels. Eli is definitely one of those.
2010, when he had all the INT's... at the end of the year he didn't mention INT's because of passes tipping off our guys hands, or some routes that were run wrong. There were some of those, but Eli took ownership of it being his problem, and he had to work harder and make better decisions.
And, he did.
Appreciate.

juice33s
10-19-2012, 10:22 PM
It has alot to do with playing under the same head coach and offensive system his entire career. If you do anything for 9 years straight you're bound to get pretty good at it. Think about your own job, you probably sucked on day 1 too, but think about how far you progressed over a nine year period, that is, if you were even able to do the same exact thing for nine straight years

I'll take 5
10-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Eli time won't last forever, and he's got more years behind him then ahead... so, enjoy whatever we get with him, If we have any depth we'll always be in the hunt with Eli.
It's not hard to understand that Eli gets better every year. He seriously works on getting better every year. Both he and Peyton are tireless workers when it comes to improving. Nice to see some athletes can get to the top and still not rest on their laurels. Eli is definitely one of those.
2010, when he had all the INT's... at the end of the year he didn't mention INT's because of passes tipping off our guys hands, or some routes that were run wrong. There were some of those, but Eli took ownership of it being his problem, and he had to work harder and make better decisions.
And, he did.
Appreciate.Eli's has always been accountable, even when we didn't believe him

Captain Chaos
10-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Sure, I know this kid playing in pee wee....

penguinfarmer
10-20-2012, 07:40 AM
I once shook hands with Eli. I then regained my virginity.

GMan-67
10-20-2012, 07:46 AM
i cant really think of one

he's been very durable

he's such a student of the game

and to the Giants credit, they've surrounded him with good talent

without all those factors,it would be impossible to show constant improvement

but, i will point out his 25 INT season ... one could easily argue that he didnt have as good a season that year, than in the prior year, but the great thing is he didnt let it affect his play or confidence

FBomb
10-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I once shook hands with Eli. I then regained my virginity.

lol...all I had to do was pose with his wax figure and my anal fissure healed right up!!

pj18
10-20-2012, 12:47 PM
i cant really think of one

he's been very durable

he's such a student of the game

and to the Giants credit, they've surrounded him with good talent

without all those factors,it would be impossible to show constant improvement

but, i will point out his 25 INT season ... one could easily argue that he didnt have as good a season that year, than in the prior year, but the great thing is he didnt let it affect his play or confidenceI was going to bring up the 2010 season but even that year you could tell he was getting better. The interceptions were very frustrating and I know a lot were tipped but a lot of the tipped ones weren't perfect passes either. It seemed like he was trying something new.

zimonami
10-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I was going to bring up the 2010 season but even that year you could tell he was getting better. The interceptions were very frustrating and I know a lot were tipped but a lot of the tipped ones weren't perfect passes either. It seemed like he was trying something new.
Yeah, something new, like throwing it left handed down at the goal line when you're being harrassed... lol. Even Eli had to wince at that one. But, like everything else he does, he learns from his mistakes.

Diamondring
10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
lol...all I had to do was pose with his wax figure and my anal fissure healed right up!!Keep them comin.

penguinfarmer
10-20-2012, 03:28 PM
lol...all I had to do was pose with his wax figure and my anal fissure healed right up!!

That's only half the story. Tell us how you got that in the first place after a wild night out with Harooni and Eli's DunkinDonuts life size card board cutout. :D