PDA

View Full Version : is David Diehl getting his starting job back over Loclear

JesseJames
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
some articles I have read today give the impression that the team is going to give Diehl his job back at RT over Sean Locklear. How do you guys feel about that if it happens? I think Locklear has played well enough to keep the job...

TroyArcher
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Don't fix something that isn't broken. I liked the way they used Diehl against the 49ers.

nygpolishpunk
10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
hope not, Heather's little brother has been playing well

slipknottin
10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Locklear is a million times better than Diehl.

JesseJames
10-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Locklear is a million times better than Diehl. I agree but some sports writers are saying the team is getting ready to give Diehl his job back and I can't understand why, Locklear has been a definite upgrade over Diehl IMO.....

TheEnigma
10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
hope not, Heather's little brother has been playing well

I keep seeing this mentioned. Is he actually related to her or is that just a joke?

bearbryant
10-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Locklear gets my vote as RT. But I did like the way they used DD as another blocker. After all ... Ya gotta earn your keep! GO Giants!!!

ALLnygIN
10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Why mess with something that is working so well? Locklear has clearly been an upgrade thus far. I guess we shall see how this pans out.

fansince69
10-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Doesn't anyone remember when O Hara got hurt and Boothe replaced him?....Our line improved then also....but as soon as Ohara was proclaimed able to play....he was back in...Coughlin is very loyal to his vets.....but I am hoping that this time the coaching staff has learned from prior mistakes

as someone stated earlier....I like the way they used Deihl against the 49ers.....reminds me of years ago when they used Seubert in a similar way

Rat_bastich
10-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I keep seeing this mentioned. Is he actually related to her or is that just a joke?

Just a joke. He is a Lumbee Indian from Lumberton, North Cackalacky.

drewz
10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Locklear gets my vote as RT. But I did like the way they used DD as another blocker. After all ... Ya gotta earn your keep! GO Giants!!!

Diehl can't even block as an extra blocker. When he was brought in as an extra lineman on a pass play, he totally whiffed on Ahmad Brooks that led to Eli almost throwing an INT (Carlos Rodgers dropped it).

GiantRoc
10-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I hope Coach Coughlin does the same thing he said he is doing with the RB's. Stay with the hot hand. He does seem go give non-committal answers when he is asked about Diehl. Hope that's an easy let down for the vet.

nycisgreat
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
some articles I have read today give the impression that the team is going to give Diehl his job back at RT over Sean Locklear. How do you guys feel about that if it happens? I think Locklear has played well enough to keep the job...

Nope it is not happening. Coughlin didn't say so, so its not happening. He will only play on Jumbo packages.

Cool Papa B.
10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
In the wise words of Carl Banks, "if it ain't broke, don't break it!" Leave this OLine alone.

giantsfan420
10-19-2012, 10:36 PM

really? bc I read TC say(when asked about who will start) that its chosen based on performance, imo, implying Locklers the guy. And Lockler has performed very well, ESPECIALLY compared to DD. I think they use him as the jumbo/swing T

miked1958
10-19-2012, 10:42 PM
No TC said we will have to see how it goes, meaning his not changing what has worked last several weeks for now

sharick88
10-19-2012, 10:53 PM

I think it would be a stupid move.

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 07:19 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs...-sean-locklear (http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs-redskins-nfl-week-7/2012/10/19/3527408/who-is-your-right-tackle-david-diehl-or-sean-locklear)

Excerpt: "If David Diehl (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2214/david-diehl) is healthy enough to resume full-time duty this Sunday against the Washington Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins), should he return to his starting spot as the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants)' right tackle? Or, should that job still belong to Sean Locklear (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2318/sean-locklear), who has done an excellent job filling in since Diehl went down with a knee injury in Week 2.

Diehl returned last week against the San Francisco 49ers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/san-francisco-49ers), playing 13 snaps as an extra lineman/tight end primarily in running situations. Head coach Tom Coughlin would only say "we'll see" when asked on Friday about Diehl. Coughlin's history of loyalty to veteran players who have been part of the team's success, though, would indicate that sooner or later Diehl will return to the starting lineup.

Is that the right thing to do?" Read more...

GMan-67
10-20-2012, 07:22 AM
i've been a big supporter of Diehl, but if it aint broke dont fix it ... Diehl gets in there in some of our jumbo packages, so it's not like he's not involved at all ... plus the fact that he can play any position on the Oline except Center ... well that makes him invaluable

and i doubt he is 100% healthy, so let's just stick with it for now

Captain Chaos
10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
i've been a big supporter of Diehl, but if it aint broke dont fix it ... Diehl gets in there in some of our jumbo packages, so it's not like he's not involved at all ... plus the fact that he can play any position on the Oline except Center ... well that makes him invaluable

and i doubt he is 100% healthy, so let's just stick with it for now

+1

Captain Chaos
10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Can't imagine that would happen right now!

GameTime
10-20-2012, 08:20 AM
I dont think they do. Deihl is a competitor for sure but even he can see things are going well.........

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I dont think they do. Deihl is a competitor for sure but even he can see things are going well......... It has to be hard for the line coach to watch 1 of the Stars in decline

GameTime
10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
It has to be hard for the line coach to watch 1 of the Stars in decline

true....but I guess most coaches see that.......

TextureDj
10-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I thought TC already covered this? Didnt we read an article just yesterday where Coughlin said that Deihl would be eased back in as a jumbo blocker in certain packages, much like we saw last week against San Fran. He of courseleft unsaid, but implied that he would be used as a swing tackle/guard since he can play equally well anywhere on the line.

Really makes him a powerful backup, just like Bear being able to know the FB playbook as well as TE keeps him a roster spot as long as he is physically able to fill it.

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I thought TC already covered this? Didnt we read an article just yesterday where Coughlin said that Deihl would be eased back in as a jumbo blocker in certain packages, much like we saw last week against San Fran. He of courseleft unsaid, but implied that he would be used as a swing tackle/guard since he can play equally well anywhere on the line. Really makes him a powerful backup, just like Bear being able to know the FB playbook as well as TE keeps him a roster spot as long as he is physically able to fill it. Every author puts their own spin on the story

JesseJames
10-20-2012, 10:06 AM
it sounds like we all agree that we have a better blocking line with Diehl not in the starting lineup...

fansince69
10-20-2012, 12:30 PM
it sounds like we all agree that we have a better blocking line with Diehl not in the starting lineup...

wait....I am confused.....did you just say that everyone agrees?has that ever happened?

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 01:36 PM

It's not about us agreeing, it's us watching the results

moosedrool
10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
When Dallas switched Ware over to Diehl's side so he could go against Diehl at RT instead of Locklear at LT, pretty much tells us Dallas knows Locklear is way better than Diehl. Just confirmation of what we've been seeing from Diehl the last two years.

And, Gilbride said this, which makes me think he won't get his starting job back.

Q: Does Diehl slide back into the line when he’s healthy?
A: Right now, I like the way we’re playing. We’ll cross that hurdle when we have to. It just gives us some additional flexibility both: a) with depth and b) what we call, “big tight end” or “big regular personnel group.” A personnel grouping that we didn’t have, and I think it was obvious the benefit or advantage it gave us in the game.

Hessian
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM
If the coaching staff feels he is the better starter, who am I to question that? Play the best player, not what the fans want.

jaxnygmen
10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I would not change a thing. Bring Diehl in as an extra TE during short yardage and goal line.

Cool Papa B.
10-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Yeah, it looks that way. Kind of weird isn't it? I don't think we've ever had a topic where everyone is in agreement.

Just for fun, I would love to see someone make an argument for Deihl.

TextureDj
10-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah, it looks that way. Kind of weird isn't it? I don't think we've ever had a topic where everyone is in agreement.

Just for fun, I would love to see someone make an argument for Deihl.I keep trying dude, but all I am coming up with is **** like:

He seems like a good dude.
and
Man, did you see the broken hand that dude played with all post season last year?

Things like that. Not what you want to be saying about a starting tackle.

JB456
10-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Diehl is great Giant and has a huge heart but he just isn't starter anymore. He should just bow out gracefully after riding the pine for the rest of the year and retire as a Giant.