PDA

View Full Version : How the Redskins beat Eli Manning

BeatYale
10-20-2012, 12:43 PM
We all know by now that the Washington Redskins beat the New York Giants twice last season, and that they were Eli Manning's two worst games of the season. The Giants' Super Bowl MVP quarterback threw four interceptions and no touchdowns against Washington last season, and the Redskins don't think it was a fluke. Per the legendary John Keim:
In the second meeting last season, the Giants' first drive showed what the Redskins want to do. The Redskins played both safeties within six yards of the line of scrimmage. They then dropped to cover deep halves. Perhaps because of this look, Manning held the ball for 4.9 seconds before throwing an incomplete pass. On the next play, the Redskins showed a cover-6 look. Manning looked downfield, stepped up and threw the ball away.

"We're trying to make his first read not a quick one," Redskins safety Reed Doughty said.

Said cornerback DeAngelo Hall: "We feel we match up well against them. We think we can do things to confuse Eli."

John also writes in that piece about the manner in which the Redskins successfully pressured Manning in those games, and that the basic idea is to constantly be changing looks so Manning cannot get comfortable in the pocket and choose from a variety of very good options, the way he can against standard Cover-2 shells and defenses like that:
"When we've been successful, it's because we're not allowing big step-up lanes, getting some sacks, showing different looks," Doughty said. "You can't just sit in a look all day and let him throw the ball."

Now, there are a number of reasons these things might not be as easy for the Redskins this season as they were last season against the Giants. First, they are without a number of key players on defense, including their best pass-rusher, Brian Orakpo, and starting defensive end Adam Carriker. Their secondary seems to be worse, personnel-wise, than it was last season, and they've been sacrificing pass rush as they've dropped linebackers and sometimes even linemen into coverage to help out. And against the Giants last season, defenses didn't have to respect the run game. But behind offensive line improvements and some tough, determined running by Ahmad Bradshaw, the Giants' run game is blossoming this season.

So the Redskins likely have a tougher task in front of them in terms of stopping Manning and the Giants than they did last season. But the Giants also have a tougher task stopping Robert Griffin III than they did with Rex Grossman. And on the defensive side of the ball, what might be most important is that the Redskins' players aren't scared of Manning and believe they know what it takes to beat him. Doesn't mean they will, but a lack of intimidation can only work in the visiting team's favor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/44572/how-the-redskins-beat-eli-manning

FBomb
10-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Giants 42 Foreskins 17

BeatYale
10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Giants 42 Foreskins 17

I got no problems with that.

Diamondring
10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Giants 42 Foreskins 17Me likes me likes.

GameTime
10-20-2012, 01:43 PM
its very simple....The Giants are a better team then the Skins all the way around. If they dont come up with schemes on both sides of the ball to win this game then shame on them.
This should be win hands down.....

primetime
10-20-2012, 01:52 PM
In the two meetings last year the Giants ran the ball 38 times for 166 yards. I expect a heavy does of ground and pound this Sunday, which will open up an already poor pass defense.
As for the Giants defense they have to stop the running game, they use that to open up their short passes. With Garcon most likely out the Redskins have no legitimate deep threat. The Giants have the personal to make the Redskins one dimensional, they just have to execute and play sound football.

Toadofsteel
10-20-2012, 01:53 PM
The redskins dont have Carriker or Orakpo this season. Eli lost because of them more than anything RG1 did...

BROADWAYSTORM
10-20-2012, 02:00 PM
THIS IS GOING TO BE SUCH AN @#$ DESTRUCTION. Unfortunately for the Redskins they are playing with no pass rush.

OX1
10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
To bad for them Eli will be starting on the 50 every drive,
has a running game, is not getting sacked this year,
has a better tight end, has passing accuracy that is
very consistent, has even more quality receiving weapons
than he ever has.

So, they can do whatever they want, it probably won't
matter much.

CDN_G-FAN
10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
1. its a divisional game. it's going to be close.

2. We no longer need Eli to have career like games to win. If Bradshaw could get 100 yards on the ground against SF, then Bradshaw/Brown/Wilson will get that and more against a front 7 that's not as strong as last year. It won't take long to force RG3 to try and carry this team on his own, and that's EXACTLY what Fewell's defense is best at stopping.

TheDoctorIsIn
10-20-2012, 08:35 PM

2. We no longer need Eli to have career like games to win. If Bradshaw could get 100 yards on the ground against SF, then Bradshaw/Brown/Wilson will get that and more against a front 7 that's not as strong as last year. It won't take long to force RG3 to try and carry this team on his own, and that's EXACTLY what Fewell's defense is best at stopping.

yep.

Hessian
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM
To bad for them Eli will be starting on the 50 every drive,
has a running game, is not getting sacked this year,
has a better tight end, has passing accuracy that is
very consistent, has even more quality receiving weapons
than he ever has.

So, they can do whatever they want, it probably won't
matter much.

I know nothing about haiku but if this is it I like it.. a lot.

Hessian
10-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm going for the "if I drink enough beers" concept. I know I posted about why have superstitions in another post. This is clearly about beers.

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Giants 42 Foreskins 17

You're giving them 4 too many points :rolleyes:

stormblue
10-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Giants 42 Foreskins 17

i just hope its not 3 touchdowns and 7 field goals.
we gotta start punchin' it in.

SLUNK(three)AM
10-21-2012, 02:02 AM

totally in agreement

div games are always tough

NYGESanti4E
10-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Its a whole new year, the deadskins are no match for the NY Giants. The RG3 option run is all they have at best, once you stop it, its done for. Deadskins have no real front 7 or a secondary to speak of. Eli is like Pam Am, with his own airline service and airport, Eli controls the sky with his own airline called
( NCHIA - Nicks, Cruz and Hixon International Airlines.)

Also, the NY Giants just added the ground service called ( 3-way ground AB, AB, and DW ) full service for anyone who needs it, just ask the 49er's. So for teams who like the service, please feel free to call upon the New York Football Giants toll free number 1-800-you got served.

NY Giants 42 Deadskins 10

P.s. please, feel free to use our free troll trashing talk service.

Hessian
10-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Its a whole new year, the deadskins are no match for the NY Giants. The RG3 option run is all they have at best, once you stop it, its done for. Deadskins have no real front 7 or a secondary to speak of. Eli is like Pam Am, with his own airline service and airport, Eli controls the sky with his own airline called
( NCHIA - Nicks, Cruz and Hixon International Airlines.)

Also, the NY Giants just added the ground service called ( 3-way ground AB, AB, and DW ) full service for anyone who needs it, just ask the 49er's. So for teams who like the service, please feel free to call upon the New York Football Giants toll free number 1-800-you got served.

NY Giants 42 Deadskins 10

P.s. please, feel free to use our free troll trashing talk service.
LOL love the passion and explanation. That said I'm going with a 10 point win.

GCGiant
10-21-2012, 07:52 AM
There are 2 things I know for sure about this game coming up today. 1 is that I have no idea what's gonna happen today, and 2 is that I can't wait for the game to start.

I had to miss watching last game live because of business...and that is rare...but maybe the Giants only have nail-biters when I watch.

BParcells777
10-21-2012, 07:58 AM
I do not see a blowout this week..........

TomCat_FIN
10-21-2012, 09:09 AM
It's propably going to be very close, but the Giants have to learn to play as favorites at one point and now's the time. There's no room for losing another divisional game.

miked1958
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Giants 42 Foreskins 17i agree. I had 31-10 but I like your score to

Toadofsteel
10-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I know nothing about haiku but if this is it I like it.. a lot.

Watch as our defense
Sacks Robert Griffin the Third
And we win the game.

Captain Chaos
10-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Nailed Canadian!!!!!