PDA

View Full Version : The Gun And Run Is Back

BlueBlitzer
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
The Giants will put on a clinic offensively. 3- RBs who are more than capable. 5 WRs aided by a very good TE. An Offensive line that moved the niners around, can absolutely Bang open holes against Washiongton. Combine that with a Wizard for a QB, spells Doom for the Redskins.

NJBLUE
10-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Are you talking about that stuff from the 90s that yhe Houston Oilers use to do?

dave56dj
10-20-2012, 07:13 PM
that was the run and gun.

miked1958
10-20-2012, 07:21 PM
What ever it is the redskins are going to get it early and often

brad
10-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah... let's hope we aren't going to the "run and shoot" that Houston used to run in the 90's... as explosive as it could be, it ultimately ended up being the "chuck and duck" because all you had to do was kill the QB, and many did exactly that. The passing attack the Giants use is similar in some ways... but this is not the chuck and duck, thank god!

giantsfan420
10-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah... let's hope we aren't going to the "run and shoot" that Houston used to run in the 90's... as explosive as it could be, it ultimately ended up being the "chuck and duck" because all you had to do was kill the QB, and many did exactly that. The passing attack the Giants use is similar in some ways... but this is not the chuck and duck, thank god!
kg's offensive scheme is the run n gun/shoot. KG was the OC for Houston when Moon ran it. The offense puts up a lot of yards n points, but before the NYG, i dont believe a team using it as their offense had ever won the SB.
It started as the Air Coryell offense at SD, and morphed/evolved into what Houston ran with KG, and it evoled/morphed into the offense we see him running for the NYG

Hessian
10-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Call me old school but I still prefer stetting the pass up with the run. Guess I'd suck as a coordinator.

brad
10-20-2012, 07:46 PM
kg's offensive scheme is the run n gun/shoot. KG was the OC for Houston when Moon ran it. The offense puts up a lot of yards n points, but before the NYG, i dont believe a team using it as their offense had ever won the SB.
It started as the Air Coryell offense at SD, and morphed/evolved into what Houston ran with KG, and it evoled/morphed into the offense we see him running for the NYG

Yes KG developed that offense in Houston to great success for a while... as defenses began simply playing "kill the QB" it fell in production and ultimately led to Buddy Ryan punching KG during a game. It has evolved from that, and while it does have many similar aspects, especially in the receiver options routes it isn't the same. If I recall, the run and shoot did not use a tight end and often used 4-5 receivers.

dave56dj
10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
or the kgun of buffalo?

sideline sneek
10-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes KG developed that offense in Houston to great success for a while... as defenses began simply playing "kill the QB" it fell in production and ultimately led to Buddy Ryan punching KG during a game. It has evolved from that, and while it does have many similar aspects, especially in the receiver options routes it isn't the same. If I recall, the run and shoot did not use a tight end and often used 4-5 receivers.Brad, you are absolutely correct in your statements. Just a little side note: Buddy Ryan was such a legend in his own mind that during practices when gearing up for an opposing team, he would not set up his defense to help KG's offense prepare. Ryan was and is a complete fool. KG's O was outshining his D.

dave56dj
10-20-2012, 08:51 PM
sideline - do you mean on weds when they install the offense for the week? if so do you have proof of this?

Rat_bastich
10-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes KG developed that offense in Houston to great success for a while... as defenses began simply playing "kill the QB" it fell in production and ultimately led to Buddy Ryan punching KG during a game. It has evolved from that, and while it does have many similar aspects, especially in the receiver options routes it isn't the same. If I recall, the run and shoot did not use a tight end and often used 4-5 receivers.

Yep, it was used in Atlanta during the Glanville/June Jones days as well and left the quarterback pretty much unprotected with the exception of his linemen. Running backs, when they were in were usually put in the slot and were smaller and faster(built more like receivers). Quarterbacks were punished. It was kind of like anything new...in the beginning it works pretty well(ala' greatest show on turf, wild cat, etc.) then usually falters when a counter is found.

I think the run and gun(aka run and shoot) began in the USFL with the Houston Gamblers. June Jones was a receivers coach then.

YATittle1962
10-21-2012, 01:57 AM

run and shoot did not develop out of Air Coryell at all

they are two completely different offenses

Run and Shoot was created before Coryells offense by Glen Ellison , the coach of a high school team somewhere in Ohio ....and perfected by Darell Davis who was the OC at Portland State

both before the Coryell ran the Sid Gillman offense

actually it is more than likely that Air Coryell developed out of Run and Shoot because the Gillman offense had aspects of run and shoot and Don Coryell credits the development of his offense to GIllman

and Joe Gibbs won three Superbowls running a hybrid of the Coryell and run and shoot

giantsfan420
10-21-2012, 02:35 AM
run and shoot did not develop out of Air Coryell at all

they are two completely different offenses

Run and Shoot was created before Coryells offense by Glen Ellison , the coach of a high school team somewhere in Ohio ....and perfected by Darell Davis who was the OC at Portland State

both before the Coryell ran the Sid Gillman offense

actually it is more than likely that Air Coryell developed out of Run and Shoot because the Gillman offense had aspects of run and shoot and Don Coryell credits the development of his offense to GIllman

and Joe Gibbs won three Superbowls running a hybrid of the Coryell and run and shoot
sorry i had it backwards. air coryell was a run n gun concept i guess. and i didnt know bout gibbs, i read that article that RF or you mghta posted about the offense. iirc, it was before the SB. that article mentioned that no run n gun offense had won a SB until 2007 fwiw

Captain Chaos
10-21-2012, 09:46 AM
This is what makes the O so dangerous...

DJloves
10-21-2012, 12:56 PM
The Giants will put on a clinic offensively. 3- RBs who are more than capable. 5 WRs aided by a very good TE. An Offensive line that moved the niners around, can absolutely Bang open holes against Washiongton. Combine that with a Wizard for a QB, spells Doom for the Redskins.

This offense should be capable of destroying any defense in the league if we play to our full potential.

miked1958
10-21-2012, 01:42 PM
This offense should be capable of destroying any defense in the league if we play to our full potential.totally agree