PDA

View Full Version : Is the poor defensive play really all Fewell's fault?

jakegibbs
12-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Who was the DC before Fewell, Lewis? Who was before him? Haven't they had 3 DC's post Spags?

I find it hard to believe the total colaspe in the once vaunted Giants D is all on the present & recent past DC's.

There has been a steady decline in talent within the ranks of the D since the SB run. That talent hasn't been replaced because of one man the GM.

He's missed on almost every D pic exception of JPP. Don't bring up Kiwi he's ave plain & simple.
Canty been a bust for the money, Benard, Rolle, Boley, Ross the list goes on & on. Ross wasn't bad his rookie year but remember he almost gave up football after the injury or at least there was a lot of talk that he might quit.

Yes some blame has to go to all those DC's but if you don't have enough eggs to go in the cake it never will win a baking contest.

JR has missed on too many pics & trades if you want my opinion but again what do I know or really claim to know but remember..
offennse can win games but DEFENSE wins Championships.

This team is sorely lacking in defensive talent.
OSI will never ever be the player he was, Canty well he never did meet expectations Boley he ain't no C. Mathews that's for sure.

Lack of talent not DC's there in lies the real problem with this D & that's why they ain't no fixing it without different players

VBGiantsFan
12-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Who was the DC before Fewell, Lewis? Who was before him? Haven't they had 3 DC's post Spags?

I find it hard to believe the total colaspe in the once vaunted Giants D is all on the present & recent past DC's.

There has been a steady decline in talent within the ranks of the D since the SB run. That talent hasn't been replaced because of one man the GM.

He's missed on almost every D pic exception of JPP. Don't bring up Kiwi he's ave plain & simple.
Canty been a bust for the money, Benard, Rolle, Boley, Ross the list goes on & on. Ross wasn't bad his rookie year but remember he almost gave up football after the injury or at least there was a lot of talk that he might quit.

Yes some blame has to go to all those DC's but if you don't have enough eggs to go in the cake it never will win a baking contest.

JR has missed on too many pics & trades if you want my opinion but again what do I know or really claim to know but remember..
offennse can win games but DEFENSE wins Championships.

This team is sorely lacking in defensive talent.
OSI will never ever be the player he was, Canty well he never did meet expectations Boley he ain't no C. Mathews that's for sure.

Lack of talent not DC's there in lies the real problem with this D & that's why they ain't no fixing it without different players

After Spags we had Sheridan who was a LB coach, and then we had Fewell. Tim Lewis came before Spags.

We need to hire a young coordinator so we don't keep losing them after 2 years of success like we did with Spags.

hungrrrry
12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
This defense was great when spags was here and hasnt been since lewis came in prior to spags...after spags with Sheridan, and Fewell is as bad as the other two...why is it hard to accept that consistantly bad defensive play has alot to do with the lack of aggressive playcalling. Good DC's don't let the offense dictate how the game will be played...in a "read and react" style of play, that is EXACTLY what you are allowing them to do.

Mr Excitement
12-18-2011, 09:12 PM
its not all Fewell...there is a major lack of talent out there as well..

hungrrrry
12-18-2011, 09:17 PM
This talent was picked because it is the type of talent giants fans are used to...aggressive, playmakers.
Fewells defense requires surgeons of the game...we don't have those

radar-ray
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
This talent was picked because it is the type of talent giants fans are used to...aggressive, playmakers.
Fewells defense requires surgeons of the game...we don't have thoseThis. The Rod Rust/Tim Lewis/Fewell read and react is NOT giants football.

Razur
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
YES..It's Fewells fault..because this isn't just a once in a while circumstance..This defense flat out sucked all season, and Fewell has not found a way to fix it. The occasional interception is nothing more then opposing QB's not reading our coverages and throwing right into the hands of our defenders, not our defenders making some extrodinary plays...The ONLY Defensive player who has played at TOP form is JPP,,,everyone elses is a miserable, embarrasment. Fewell's system, schemes, managing...is a failure. One good thing that comes out of this,,,He has pretty much demonstrated to all teams who will be looking for candidates for HC's...he's not a good choice, and therfor will spare those fans the same torture of watching their team sink to new lows, just as he pretty much ran this Defense into it's lowest rating in recent memory..

jomo
12-18-2011, 09:28 PM
This talent was picked because it is the type of talent giants fans are used to...aggressive, playmakers. Fewells defense requires surgeons of the game...we don't have those.......it's been a long day and I am tired so please help me with this. What exactly is a "surgeon of the game?" Can you name me a few that have gone to the pro bowl so that I can get my mind wrapped around this concept.

wado1
12-18-2011, 09:28 PM
So he missed on Terrell Thomas, Goff, Philips?

Mr Excitement
12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Ross....Rolle....Blackburn....Jones.....Canty....e ven Phillips..like I said...lack of talent..

buddy33
12-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Maybe he should be dumbing down things, but they are on their 10th CB, Tuck has been hurt since pre season, Osi has been in and out of the line up, they lost Goff and Sintim and are now using rookies and a guy who was sitting home 3 weeks ago at LB, Kiwi is a DE not a LB, Rolle was a bad signing, and Grant got old this off season.

jakegibbs
12-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Maybe he should be dumbing down things, but they are on their 10th CB, Tuck has been hurt since pre season, Osi has been in and out of the line up, they lost Goff and Sintim and are now using rookies and a guy who was sitting home 3 weeks ago at LB, Kiwi is a DE not a LB, Rolle was a bad signing, and Grant got old this off season.

Sintim?? Is he still on the team? How many years has he been a Giant? Is he a rookie? I've heard that name a few times but it's never registratured duing a game. Like a pic, sack, forced fumble etc.... Fill me in on him will ya?

BurnerNYG
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Maybe he should be dumbing down things, but they are on their 10th CB, Tuck has been hurt since pre season, Osi has been in and out of the line up, they lost Goff and Sintim and are now using rookies and a guy who was sitting home 3 weeks ago at LB, Kiwi is a DE not a LB, Rolle was a bad signing, and Grant got old this off season.+100 You're absolutely right. I guess that explains why Peyton, Vince Young, Rogers and Mike Vick torched us last year. Put my 1st sentence in red for me.

Rich4114
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
It's a combination of injuries and poor scheme. Also let's not act like these players are awesome. The main issue which makes our secondary look bad is no push up the middle (Canty is an oversized DE if you ask me) and our line backers are weak. Kiwi is a great pass rushing LB (because he's really a DE) and Boley is average.

I think Herzlich will get there but it's going to require we gain some veteran stardom there as well as develop some DT's who can get regular push up the middle.

On top of that, the scheme needs to be improved or we need a better DC. 30th in the league in defense with these pass rushers is bush league.

Also, time to say goodbye to Osi. Should've traded him for Lance Briggs when we had the chance.

Gianthunter
12-18-2011, 09:52 PM
The same defense flat out quit last year they just started earlier this year. Pathetic quitters.

JMFP2
12-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Giants either need to replace Fewell or draft players that fit into whatever it is he is attempting to run.</P>

Because the players that we have on the field right now apparently do not understand their assignments, particularly in the secondary.</P>

slipknottin
12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
For the talent argument, let's just compare spags 2008 defense.

On DL they had kiwi-Robbins-Cofield-tuck
At lb kehl-Pierce-Clark
Secondary -Webster-Michael Johnson- Butler-Ross

You're telling me that defense was anywhere near as talented as this team is?

jakegibbs
12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Giants either need to replace Fewell or draft players that fit into whatever it is he is attempting to run.</P>

Because the players that we have on the field right now apparently do not understand their assignments, particularly in the secondary.</P>

Lot easier to replace the coach right? I wonder what D the next DC will run with these players? The would of could of should of I guess. Probaly the duct tape Rolles mouth D on 1 right?

buddy33
12-18-2011, 10:05 PM
By the way, the defense was not great today but the offense was worse.

Mr Excitement
12-18-2011, 10:13 PM

At lb kehl-Pierce-Clark

One key name you mentioned....Pierce.....he was the last leader this D had....

jomo
12-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Forget the talent argument. PF has enough talent right nowto get us out of the #30 spot and back into the pack. We all know that this team doesn't have top 10 talent on D.

jakegibbs
12-18-2011, 10:19 PM

At lb kehl-Pierce-Clark

DL Strahan, Umenyiora,Robbins,Cofield Big Advantage
LB Mitchell, Pierce, Kiwanuka, Torbor Big Advantaqge
Big Play Mitchell haven't had his big play caliber since
Secondary Madison, Wilson, Johnson, Webster, Ross
They could stop the run & pressue the passer which made the secondary play above ave because the QB had to throw the ball quickly or Osi or Stra Cofield or Robbins had him on ground

buddy33
12-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Forget the talent argument. PF has enough talent right now*to get us out of the #30 spot and back into the pack. We all know that this team doesn't have top 10 talent on D.

Does he really? Ross is not food an probably would have been their 4th or 5th option by now had thy not had so many injuries at CB. Tuck and Osi are not healthy. They are using Blackburn and rookies at LB. Grant is older and slower. Rolle has been a huge disappointment.

You really think he has the talent on defense?

Zaggs
12-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Alot of it has to be Fewells. Too many times we see the defense line up confused, aren't where they are supposed to be, misread plays. If players don't know any of this, either their IQ's are lower than 10 or they're not being coached well. If they're dumb, why are they out there?

jomo
12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Forget the talent argument. PF has enough talent right nowto get us out of the #30 spot and back into the pack. We all know that this team doesn't have top 10 talent on D. Does he really? Ross is not food an probably would have been their 4th or 5th option by now had thy not had so many injuries at CB. Tuck and Osi are not healthy. They are using Blackburn and rookies at LB. Grant is older and slower. Rolle has been a huge disappointment. You really think he has the talent on defense?A real DC could coach this group up into the middle of the NFL. I specifically said we don't have top 10 talent. We do however have average or better safeties plus some box support from Grant. We have Webster who is well above average. Ross is below average but every team carries someone like that as a starter. Our linebackers are below average for sure but our DL is well above average even with OSI and Tuck out. Remeber that we played poorly on D even when they were both healthy. JPP is great in the making, Tolley is at least average, Canty and Joseph are at least average. Fewell is not holding up his end of the bargain. Just look at our guys running on and off the field today at the last second. No one evenknows where they are supposed to be. That typifies PF's lack of grip on this unit.

slipknottin
12-18-2011, 10:34 PM

At lb kehl-Pierce-Clark

They could stop the run & pressue the passer which made the secondary play above ave because the QB had to throw the ball quickly or Osi or Stra Cofield or Robbins had him on ground

I said 2008. Strahan was retired, Osi was on IR, kiwi was at DE. Mitchell was in buffalo. Wilson was gone to Oakland.

jakegibbs
12-18-2011, 10:38 PM

At lb kehl-Pierce-Clark

I said 2008. Strahan was retired, Osi was on IR, kiwi was at DE. Mitchell was in buffalo. Wilson was gone to Oakland.

uh excuse me here's your 1st statement read below:

Now the last time I check spags 2008 SB defense is listed above as your request. The key word is SPAGS like in Spagnola I assumed. Was I correct?

slipknottin
12-18-2011, 10:40 PM

At lb kehl-Pierce-Clark

uh excuse me here's your 1st statement read below:

Now the last time I check spags 2008 SB defense is listed above as your request. The key word is SPAGS like in Spagnola I assumed. Was I correct?

They won the Super Bowl in the 2007 season... So the defense that won the SB would be the 2007 defense...

The 2008 defense was statistically better than the 2007 defense.